Game-Labs Forum

Seasonal Patch: The Missing Links Part 1

admin

1 hour ago, William Death said:

Leave it like it is for ease of manual sailing through turns and such, but add the feature when you press a button, it "uncouples" your mainmast from your mizzenmast.

Example:

When you toggle the button "J", it uncouples the mizzenmast from the mainmast, and you take over control of it with "K" and "L" (I don't remember if these keys are used already or not).

Any chances we'll ever get independent sail control? If I'm sailing battle sails and my topsails get shredded, I might like to set one of the courses or a topgallant (you get the idea, one or two sails to add a bit more area for wind to compensate for the shredded topsails). It obviously wouldn't be a balanced rig, but it'd at least keep me moving until time for a sail repair, and prevent me from going to full sails and weakening my mast (I like that part of the new update btw, its a nice stand-in for proper rigging damage)

J is still used for the bell, but to get your point maybe have something more like move the Bell to something else and do K as the uncouple key with J and L for direction.   Wait K is used in mortar brigs, but they suck and still haven't been fixed so no really point of using that key any more for them ( @admin‌‌‌ when are mortars going to get looked at?).   What is the brace key? H or I? I think it's I cause when it was H to many folks keep hitting it by accident.  Either way I'm sure we could figure out some key combo to use.  Maybe even have that key just means to alk which mast the z/c keys work on.  Hell could even use the x key cause I don't that is used for anything is it?  Just means folks will hit it all the time like the raddom fire option lol  

@Jan van Santen
Towing ships certainly happened during the 18th and early 19th centuries - in fleet battles, it was the role of the smaller 6th Raters (Sloops of War etc.) to tow dismasted friendlies out of the line, and if neccesary, to the nearest port.  Usually, just towing the crippled ship to a safe distance where masts and rigging could be jury rigged for self-propulsion was sufficient, although the lighter vessel may have been required to provide protection patrol to keep opportunist enemy scouts away. 
However, for a Commodore to order a ship to be towed out of the line, it would have need to have lost at least two masts and the functionality of the third (halyards and clewlines severed) as even a crawling 1st to 4th rate ship could bring substantial firepower to bear if it could still manouevre (turn) even if it eventually fell behind the progress of the battle line (where it would normally begin repairs and maybe be picked up for towing if a sloop, brig or brigantine could be spared from after-battle despatches or scouting duties).

There are records of ships of all "sailing solo" ship sizes towing prizes back to port if insufficient men survived to sail the prize under it's own canvas, or if it was too damaged to make sail.  There is one report of note where a British 5th rate corvette towed a French 4th rate frigate from the Heel of Italy to Alexandria after fully dismasting it in 1v1 battle.

Edited by Gazbeard
clarity of statement
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Liq said:

...I think the hit counter "mast" when you hit the mast should only occur when you actually penetrate the mast.
This! Fantastic suggestion! Its the same for the hull, why not the masts too?

+ I still think the rare woods buffs are OP, a fleet of ships consisting of +35% HP and similar other stats, result should in most cases be obvious, which is not ideal IMO.
Yes totally agree too. All nations must have the ability to be competitive. 

Also, as said before in this thread, it should be impossible to disable survival if your ship is not equipped with the fireship upgrade
Make sense too

@admin is the loot after battle planned to be implemented better? Looking for dead wreck with a camera (especially when they are miles away)... there surely a way to do it easier. Maybe a list of wrecks that appears after the battle is finished?

Also I have a concern about loot steals. This makes it super easy for those who steal loot to enter the battle, wait for it to finish somewhere away on the edge of the map. Then loot it with immunity and you wont even have a proof that he has done it.
Can we please have tools to protect our loot from theft?
1. Make a list of wrecks that becomes available after battle is finished;
2. Going through the list. Those who had the kill have the ownership of the wreck, no one else can open it
3. The owner of the wreck should have the options to make the wreck available a) to the group members; b) to the clan; c) free for all

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Liq said:

Also, as said before in this thread, it should be impossible to disable survival if your ship is not equipped with the fireship upgrade

It should only be in boarding, once i had to switch crew between survival and repair to avoid sinking.

5 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

J is still used for the bell, but to get your point maybe have something more like move the Bell to something else and do K as the uncouple key with J and L for direction.   Wait K is used in mortar brigs, but they suck and still haven't been fixed so no really point of using that key any more for them ( @admin‌‌‌ when are mortars going to get looked at?).   What is the brace key? H or I? I think it's I cause when it was H to many folks keep hitting it by accident.  Either way I'm sure we could figure out some key combo to use.  Maybe even have that key just means to alk which mast the z/c keys work on.  Hell could even use the x key cause I don't that is used for anything is it?  Just means folks will hit it all the time like the raddom fire option lol  

Yeah I don't remember most of the "stock" hotkeys, except for basic steering and repairs. All the little stuff I move around. But yeah bell, mortar, and brace could definitely be moved (I don't know of anyone who hasn't already moved brace to the other side of their keyboard after accidentally hitting H when they were trying to press G to board lol).

And yeah I was thinking along the same lines as you, using a key (maybe X) to toggle between main/mizzen/coupled, and just use Z and C to control, but I got to thinking that might confuse some newer players if they don't understand the concept.

And still waiting on my gold de ruyter if that random fire toggle off suggestion gets implemented :P.

Looting, is it intentional that the distance looting only is possible for 1 minute?

I had two battles and each time i had to steer clear of the last wreck to see the other wrecks individually since I finished them one after the other in a neat row.

Both times i could distance loot the first two but after 60 sec it wasn't possible anymore to loot the third even when i Was alongside.

Cheers

Well after more battles in the Prince that ship has truly been nerfed now to be practically useless vs anything except Traders.  Full sail just get demasted in a instant. Battle sail and everything is slowed down to half speed or slower with  no real control over the ship and all of that with the wind in your favour.  Even a well sailed Indiaman can put up a good fight as you can no longer use acceleration and reverse to avoid their buffed turn rates under battle sail.  

Unless you enjoy pew pew with line ships there is practically nothing left in this game now for those who prefer smaller frigates and 6th rates. 

• Like 1

Why does the Diana have 90 base thickness? That's more than Trinco, Endy, Indef (which should have 95 like the 3rd rate, as Indef is a razee'd 3rd) and even Wasa. Is it because Diana and AdR are so rare and should be better than other in-class-ships? Or do you plan to tune it a bit? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urchin said:

Well after more battles in the Prince that ship has truly been nerfed now to be practically useless vs anything except Traders. 

What warships should it be able to take down?

1 hour ago, Urchin said:

Even a well sailed Indiaman can put up a good fight

And the problem with that is?...

The purpose of prince should be small trade ships, running from anything that's a threat, and as chaser in gank group.

It's not supposed to be a pittbull...

Interesting patch @admin🙂, definately worth "exploring" some.

Edited by Kejsaren
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Urchin said:

Well after more battles in the Prince that ship has truly been nerfed now to be practically useless vs anything except Traders.  Full sail just get demasted in a instant. Battle sail and everything is slowed down to half speed or slower with  no real control over the ship and all of that with the wind in your favour.  Even a well sailed Indiaman can put up a good fight as you can no longer use acceleration and reverse to avoid their buffed turn rates under battle sail.  

Unless you enjoy pew pew with line ships there is practically nothing left in this game now for those who prefer smaller frigates and 6th rates. 

Well. I interpret it as a good thing so indiamans now could put a proper fight against smaller ships. It has three times the BR than a snow or prince... it’s supposed to be able to defend against them isn’t it? 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Koltes said:

Can we please have tools to protect our loot from theft?
1. Make a list of wrecks that becomes available after battle is finished;
2. Going through the list. Those who had the kill have the ownership of the wreck, no one else can open it
3. The owner of the wreck should have the options to make the wreck available a) to the group members; b) to the clan; c) free for all

Like this:

List of wrecks showing up.

The initiator* of the battle can decide about those wrecks. Checkboxes behind each wreck in the list:

(a) give this wreck loot to person who scored the kill,

(b) give this wreck loot to assistant

(c) make this wreck loot available to other clan members in battle

(d) leave this wreck loot to any other participant

--

Receivers get a message and can accept loot or decline it. If declined, it becomes available to others.

*initiator is the only one you could be sure he is no 'loot stealer' in that battle

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
second (c) is a (d)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Like this:

List of wrecks showing up.

The initiator* of the battle can decide about those wrecks. Checkboxes behind each wreck in the list:

(a) give this wreck loot to person who scored the kill,

(b) give this wreck loot to assistant

(c) make this wreck loot available to other clan members in battle

(d) leave this wreck loot to any other participant

--

Receivers get a message and can accept loot or decline it. If declined, it becomes available to others.

*initiator is the only one you could be sure he is no 'loot stealer' in that battle

why so complicated? postbattle-screen that we had before and where the loot was automatically distributed according to kills, back and done

if you want to give something to someone else or if you are overloaded afterwards, you can still trade, either on the open sea or in the port

Here is my first big fight after implementation of the patch, in a light ship as usual, just to know:

1. If light ships can still survive without being dismasted?
  2. If light ships can still survive in a ship of the line battle?
  3. If light ships can still help bigger mates?

And of course, manual sailing in new sailing model and in a very special ship, the lateen sailed Xebec.

To be noted:

• At 8:50: How to increase carronade range by manual sailing, and broadside received from a Victory
  • At 12:19: Broadside received from a Victory, on an angulated hull
  • At 16:20: Fezzola’s comment about SOL angulation
  • At 17:30: Frosty’s comment about light ship in SOL fights
  • At 18:10: Broadside received from a Victory, on a not angulated hull
  • At 32:00: Test of wind shadow, made with Gene who changed his sail setting to see the effect
  • At 35:00: Surprising event when trying to shadow Essex’s wind from a Requin (I did not know that!)
  • During all the fight, comments made by players about this patch (very good overall feeling).

About manual sailing, it can be noted that battle sails in Requin are now 70% of sails instead of 40% before patch (which is more conform to sail surfaces, thanks for that). In another fight, I saw that battle sails for Snow is now 51% (which is balancing this ship, as announced earlier by @admin, I don’t remember exactly where, but thanks for that).

Edited by Aquillas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Holm Hansen said:

why so complicated? postbattle-screen that we had before and where the loot was automatically distributed according to kills, back and done

if you want to give something to someone else or if you are overloaded afterwards, you can still trade, either on the open sea or in the port

my idea saves you time. A unified checkout.

Think of the guys on PvP server. They don't have the time to do cozy trading after battle, as there are "revenge gankers" all around.

So, after battle but still within battle instance, you have nice opportunity to divide the loot without getting disturbed.

25 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

my idea saves you time. A unified checkout.

Think of the guys on PvP server. They don't have the time to do cozy trading after battle, as there are "revenge gankers" all around.

So, after battle but still within battle instance, you have nice opportunity to divide the loot without getting disturbed.

how often would it be used?

and it would be far more complex to program and insert into the game. Rather a simple solution which has a chance to be implemented than a complicated solution which probably will not come

the code for the post battle screen should already be known, because we already had it in the game

... whereby if your solution will implemented, i would of course also be satisfied. i´m already that, because the new loot-mechanic makes it much easier and was clearly a step in the right direction
Edited by Holm Hansen

Buildings:

As an Architect I am very displeased to see the latest changes in the game.

What historical research was done on indigenous buildings and townscape in the Caribbean of the period? I suspect none at all.  

So we have harbours/towns that are totally incorrect for either the Nation or the situation (When possession of an island or port changed hands the incoming nation didn't just wipe out all the infrastructure!) So there is no recognisable sense of "place" anywhere on our map at all which is ludicrous. 

We have towns/buildings which against the ships are at least 5 times over scale. (Yes with the average length of a 5th rate being  some 135 foot (41 M) then compared on the dock it makes the floor to floor height of the average dwelling approx 35 foot or 12 metres lol)

The scale of the jetty on the dock is at least twice that of the ships. (Try looking at a barrel and see if you could get that into any of the ships.

So why did you spend all this time and energy in remodelling the buildings when they are so totally wrong ?

• Like 1