Game-Labs Forum

Battle chat / Global chat

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Like battlechat removal next patch. Player reports giving my people PTSD.

could you not remove it from Port battles, so we can have o7 and GG spam when the battle starts and ends  🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, admin said:

No. because people will use it to hide from chases.
Most great ideas in MMOs die by exploits.

can you also remove global chat while your at it :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nixolai said:

could you not remove it from Port battles, so we can have o7 and GG spam when the battle starts and ends  🤷‍♂️

Battlechat will convert messages into canned nice phrases - we mentioned them before

• Sorry
  • Welcome to the Caribbean
  • Thank you
  • GG
  • Great night, I enjoyed it very much.
  • My cannonballs weight 84 pounds
  • Nice shirt
  • You have a great blue camisole
  • Good morning
  • London is a capital of Great Britain
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, admin said:

Battlechat will convert messages into canned nice phrases - we mentioned them before

• Sorry
  • Thank you
  • GG
  • Nice shirt
  • Good morning
  • Well met

is spamming of those considered? like we had with the shipbell?

Edited by z4ys

8 minutes ago, z4ys said:

is spamming of those considered? like we had with the shipbell?

maybe slow letters? For doubloons (pigeons and wax stamps were expensive those days)
Post in chat today, nation reads it next day. Realism

13 minutes ago, PG Monkey said:

can you also remove global chat while your at it :)

Nations will be stronger without global. Help can also be national. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, admin said:

• Sorry
  • Thank you
  • GG
  • Nice shirt
  • Good morning

no "o7" ?

1 hour ago, admin said:

Nations will be stronger without global. Help can also be national. 

Please don't remove global. For some of us traders global is an awesome resource to be able to buy and sell goods at decent prices to people who actually need it. Free port prices you are usually looking at a 100-300% mark up on the value of the item pricing items out of the range of the vast majority of players. Global is the only avenue traders have to actually barter and haggle for items and get decent deals across nations. Not to mention it is one of the few ways to actually ask for and have a chance at getting something rare as someone might see it and be willing to part with it.

I understand removing battle chat. When in battle you cannot ignore it, it's there. Global though is something that you can close if you don't want to see what is being written there. 

I mean if people don't like global, they don't have to open it. 

Edited by Redman29
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, admin said:

• Sorry
  • Thank you
  • GG
  • Nice shirt
  • Good morning

This is a terrible move in my opinion. We are already a small community and removing the last few ways we could interact with one another outside of out-of-game means is just going to continue to fracture and derail that community further. I just can't imagine that hiring a few mods (I can't even remember the last time I saw a mod in chat anywhere) to deal with chat problems would be a better fix?

4 hours ago, admin said:

No. because people will use it to hide from chases.
Most great ideas in MMOs die by exploits.

Want to know how to make it work in OW, make it like the log out timer, your ship has to sit still for like 2 mins.  That way you can't just poof and escape, gives plenty of time for folks to tag your, but honestly I think it's better to be from the port like it use to be any way.

Please do not remove chat, your still not doing COMS right.  GET SOME MODDERS THAT ACTUALLY DO A JOB AND NOT KISS STAFF BUTTS OR NEVER MODERATE CHANNELS.  Remember PvP2 went a year pretty much with zero moderators.   Hell even do the clan leader thing (it prob needs to be more than just the leader).  Make it if you get to many marks against you and the leader does nothing you auto loose chat privalages or something.  The problem is your report doesn't break down the reason for the report like other games.  Look at WoW, when you report some one it allows you to say if they are a bot, abusive player, cheating, afk, and other things.  The report should be someth ing like that to break down the infractions.  Those infractions can be pointss and if your get so many points you get an auto ban for certain amount of time.  The more server infractions goes to staff and they can pick if it's a perma ban from chat or the game.

Also Moderators should not be a player.....it should be keep seperate so some one that is playing an account all the time can't abuse the mode acount for in game actions.

3 hours ago, Redman29 said:

Please don't remove global. For some of us traders global is an awesome resource to be able to buy and sell goods at decent prices to people who actually need it. Free port prices you are usually looking at a 100-300% mark up on the value of the item pricing items out of the range of the vast majority of players. Global is the only avenue traders have to actually barter and haggle for items and get decent deals across nations. Not to mention it is one of the few ways to actually ask for and have a chance at getting something rare as someone might see it and be willing to part with it.

I understand removing battle chat. When in battle you cannot ignore it, it's there. Global though is something that you can close if you don't want to see what is being written there. 

I mean if people don't like global, they don't have to open it. 

The only way I can see removing global is if they went to regional chats and had a proper auction house that is in free towns and lets you see what is in other freeowns.  We still need buy orders for ships and such too that has yet to be put into game.

I would also just have an option to turn off battle chat.  Some times it's the only way to chat with the other team when you want to call a fight a draw or go after some one else out side that is a bigger threat.  Some times you just want to ask how some one been cause you haven't seen them in a while.  This way folks that get butt hurt about chat has the option to just turn it off.

• Like 1

The most toxic insults I've received was is in Nation Chat.   But the Ignore feature fixed it quickly.  I've heard of nasty comments made with PMs.  Removing Global won't remove the toxin.  

Can the Dev please add Ignore to Battle chat?  Please let us try  "Ignore"  before we eliminate chat.

Communication and friendship are the the richest parts of this community.  Let us try "Ignore" so we can isolate trolls, before you isolate all of us.

Sorry to hear that the player reports, about bad players, are stressing the staff.  Hope the behavior of these offenders doesn't ruin the pleasant experience for most of us.  It would suck to let the bad players keep winning by removing good features of the game because of them. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

The most toxic insults I've received was is in Nation Chat.   But the Ignore feature fixed it quickly.  I've heard of nasty comments made with PMs.  Removing Global won't remove the toxin.  

Can the Dev please add Ignore to Battle chat?  Please let us try  "Ignore"  before we eliminate chat.

Communication and friendship are the the richest parts of this community.  Let us try "Ignore" so we can isolate trolls, before you isolate all of us.

Sorry to hear that the player reports, about bad players, are stressing the staff.  Hope the behavior of these offenders doesn't ruin the pleasant experience for most of us.  It would suck to let the bad players keep winning by removing good features of the game because of them. 

Of course..but we have unbiased solutions for national chat but we don't have unbiased solutions for global.

We have ignore. Communication can be disabled. Does not work for some reason. 

• Player excites another player (deliberately or by accident)
  • Another player crosses the line and gets reported
  • Another player gets banned in game chat
  • That player then CRIES harassment by devs/mods, claims unprofessionalism and freedom of speech - we get negativity on forums or in reviews
  • Community CAN police those reports, by reporting them to valve as breaking community guidelines or being off topic, BUT They don't. And we are basically doomed whatever we do.
    • When we act on reports (which supposedly should be supported by the community) community does not help us when the chat banned players complain in public. And blames us for heavy handed moderation
    • When we dont act on reports - community blames us for toxicity of the chat

The effects on motivation of the dev team on reading reporting is real
Toxicity leaves an real impression on new players. Toxicity is mentioned A LOT in reviews. Some here suggest moderating and banning?

Ok.. but those people then complain in reviews.

You can save global and battle chat, but this will take real action showing real result.

For example
This guy is claiming we remove accounts (he was chat banned for illegal name)
https://steamcommunity.com/id/ray270382/recommended/1307440/ - 130 people found this review helpful 

What did you all do to stop such reports as a community? Did you flag it to valve? (there is a button to report it as breaking rules). Why should i police chat if you don't help me. For me it is 10x easier and safer to just remove the global.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, admin said:

That player then CRIES harassment by devs/mods, claims unprofessionalism and freedom of speech - we get negativity on forums or in reviews

Ahhh okay, that is the reason.

The negativity on steam is much more effected by poor developer decisions, this "chat ban based" negative steam reviews must be minority. 

Your steam review of NA game is  %62 , mixed. Lets assume 1-2 percent is coming from chat bans etc., what will it change? 

I bet you will have more negative reviews due to limititation of chat. When you implement that I will change my review to negative, due to new DLC ships of the line, never ending beta phase of a released game which results in change of core mechanics over and over, chat limitations etc.

Do not take my freedom to curse and bitch on various chat windows, the best part of NA :), let me taste chat ban when I cross the red line.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, admin said:

Of course..but we have unbiased solutions for national chat but we don't have unbiased solutions for global.

We have ignore. Communication can be disabled. Does not work for some reason. 

• Player excites another player (deliberately or by accident)
  • Another player crosses the line and gets reported
  • Another player gets banned in game chat
  • That player then CRIES harassment by devs/mods, claims unprofessionalism and freedom of speech - we get negativity on forums or in reviews
  • Community CAN police those reports, by reporting them to valve as breaking community guidelines or being off topic, BUT They don't. And we are basically doomed whatever we do.
    • When we act on reports (which supposedly should be supported by the community) community does not help us when the chat banned players complain in public. And blames us for heavy handed moderation

Toxicity leaves an real impression on new players. Toxicity is mentioned A LOT in reviews. Some here suggest moderating and banning?

Ok.. but those people then complain in reviews.

You can save global and battle chat, but this will take real action showing real result.

For example
https://steamcommunity.com/id/ray270382/recommended/1307440/ - 130 people found this review helpful 

What did you all do to stop such reports as a community? Did you flag it to valve? (there is a button to report it as breaking rules). Why should i police chat if you don't help me. For me it is 10x easier and safer to just remove the global.

I certainly don’t want your team to have to devote hours to dealing with toxic chat. You’ve got more important things to do for this game. But communication in a multiplayer game is important. I feel we’d lose more by losing Global Chat than we’d gain from less mentions of toxicity in Steam reviews.

Is the idea of player moderators completely ruled out? Surely there are players who spend a lot of hours in game and have good reputations that you could tap. I’ve found in moderating online groups ever since way back in the Compuserve days that just a word from a moderator often quells the problem at least temporarily. If it doesn’t work, a one day mute sends a message. Repeat offenders can be muted longer or even outright chat banned. Usually the offense is so clear cut — if the rules are clear — that things don’t have to be decided by committee.

Anyway, I’m not trying to tell you your job, but it would be a shame to lose Global Chat because a few bad apples can’t carry themselves in a civilized way. 

1 hour ago, admin said:

When we act on reports (which supposedly should be supported by the community) community does not help us when the chat banned players complain in public. And blames us for heavy handed moderation

Why not pick (or better let community vote) some people from community to take care about that stuff?

Something like this: 1 from each nation, everyone votes on the same reported issue and it gets judged after majority vote

Pros:

- its not your fault if they do a wrong decision since they got voted by community

- u dont have to read all that shit

- people still have chat and it is getting moderated

Cons:

- if someone quits the game u have to get someone new

- need guidelines and support them in the beginning a bit

Edited by Corona Lisa

23 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Is the idea of player moderators completely ruled out?

For a nation yes. We are considering it.

But it did not work before.
We had green name moderators on launch and later - people complained of suppressive mods, biased mods and started abusing mods in game (as dev pets)
We removed the mods and started moderating (a bit slower) ourselves - people complained of suppressive devs banning everyone in game and on private forums
If we move the speech control to community players will complain about community. 

There is a reason there are no chats with enemies in WOW.

Its 10x cheaper and more efficient is to remove the source of complaints. No chat, no problems

• Like 1

Speaking for me there are many occasions where I just closed the game because of a non stopping flood of rants about the game, devs, changes, certain people, rvr, combat results.

Sure there is ignore or just close the chat window.

But honestly I dont want to click report and ignore someone every few seconds. By the way ignore is the only action that shows immediately results. Bans by reports takes weeks and allows the harassment to continue. 

Tbh I rather play a game with limited chat function and have a nice gaming environment than reading flames every few seconds. Games are meant to bring fun and enjoyment. Global and battlechat are spoiling this.

I like the solution a la wow

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

What did you all do to stop such reports as a community? Did you flag it to valve? (there is a button to report it as breaking rules).

Whoever reads reviews for a game they already bought though?

12 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

Whoever reads reviews for a game they already bought though?

Negative people do.. and update them regularly liking other negative reviews - raising them to top - Affecting new players 
Number of russian speaking players (based on localization use) is growing the fastest.. Russian reviews are positive, and majority of Russians cant read English.
Nice players dont buy and don't join the game because why would a nice player join the game where popular review falsely states that "devs remove game accounts"?

These negative people, do they play and review other games which these games have like more than %75  positive reviews ? Or they are not allowed to purchase these games, or banned instantly ?

I never liked EVE online but it has %76 positive reviews (18k positive review), game of 2003, where are these negative people ?

War Thunder 160k reviews, %80 positive

Warframe 360k reviews, %90 positive

NBA2k20 %46 and 23k positive reviews, hey the negative people are here !!! I found them.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can not blame people for their ideas, being negative, protest, nice, bad, this is the same people voting for Eve Online, NBA2k20 or our beloved Naval Action.

So look some other thing to blame...

I try to be honest and this makes me one of the negatives in this forum or community. Negative reviews and criticising players are the best assets for a developers, to perfect their product, that is what me thinks.

I still love this game though haven't played it for 2 months due to corono and some other excuses (some decisions made in NA which I do not like)

15 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

These negative people, do they play and review other games which these games have like more than %75  positive reviews ? Or they are not allowed to purchase these games, or banned instantly ?

Please dont derail topics - this behaviour is not welcome on the development forums
We are not talking about negative reviews (game is boring, combat is hard, ai is too strong) etc. those are all valid and could be true from certain player perspectives. I for example dont like PUBG, but like tarkov. 

We are talking about false reviews, made on purpose - to mislead: like the one we linked, lying that we are removing game accounts. Or ones stating dev sell cheats. PVP players not reporting such reviews are going to force us to turn this game into a pve game because the only ones who dont care about pvp cheats are pve players.

You said

Negative reviews and criticising players are the best assets for a developers, to perfect their product, that is what me thinks.

Can you confirm that you are defending false deliberately misleading reviews in your comment? Can you explain how can i learn from the review that developers sell cheats? Or that i delete in game accounts? Explain please.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

Please dont derail topics - this behaviour is not welcome on the development forums
We are not talking about negative reviews (game is boring, combat is hard, ai is too strong) etc. those are all valid and could be true from certain player perspectives. I for example dont like PUBG, but like tarkov. 

We are talking about false reviews, made on purpose - to mislead: like the one we linked, stating we are removing game accounts. Or ones stating dev sell cheats. PVP players not reporting such reviews are going to force us to turn this game into a pve game because the only ones who dont care are pve players.

false reviews?.... blatant lies they are. please do not ruin the game because some people lie about it. then the assholes will have won their irrational war against NA!

• Like 2