Game-Labs Forum

veteran player merit recognition

Although I'm not concerned, I think some players who spent thousands of hours in NA could be recognized with ranks.

The XP scale could include "stars" added to the highest rank, each star would be reached at extremely high XP level  !

The effect of identifying a player with his rank, seeing stars behind would simply allow the recognition of a veteran level by itself.

I have high admiration to these guys who dedicate so many hours of their life for this game as a passion; I truly feel they deserve this recognition merit.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Celtiberofrog said:

I have high admiration to these guys who dedicate so many hours of their life for this game as a passion; I truly feel they deserve this recognition merit.

I don't want any recognition for time spent in this game, it's more an embarassment then something to admire to be honest lol.

Big  NO.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Cursed Monkey said:

I don't want any recognition for time spent in this game, it's more an embarassment then something to admire to be honest lol.

Big  NO.

Hey,

This is not for other player to admire you !   8)))

But at least, when you are in PB and see the list of players involved, peeps will be able to evaluate the level of participating real veteran players.

Also, when a newby got a fight against a "star" opponant, he will be anticipating better his sinking adventure  8))

Actually, sinking a 4 stars admiral could even give special reward ?

But, why should you be embarassed about your passion ?! I saw (I lived) this intensive dedication to NA war server also as a generous act to your clan mates, a kind of necessary sacrifice to be as competitive as possible, for the interest of the clan. This to me deserves a recognition.

Also, when you got newbies joining a Nation, some can be bully or even impertinent; those one will possibly tend to respect a 4 stars player opinion. This goes in the sense of "moderating" the community.

cheers

Frog

14 minutes ago, Celtiberofrog said:

Hey,

This is not for other player to admire you !   8)))

I have high admiration to these guys who dedicate so many hours of their life for this game as a passion

15 minutes ago, Celtiberofrog said:

Also, when a newby got a fight against a "star" opponant, he will be anticipating better his sinking adventure  8))

It is better if player does not know, it is far to common people underperforming because they respect their opponent skill too much. If you go into battle and think you are going to loose you are more likely to do so.

17 minutes ago, Celtiberofrog said:

Actually, sinking a 4 stars admiral could even give special reward ?

Gaming hours does not equal skill. So reward should not scale with gaming hours.

19 minutes ago, Celtiberofrog said:

Also, when you got newbies joining a Nation, some can be bully or even impertinent; those one will possibly tend to respect a 4 stars player opinion.

Respect is earned, through behavior, common sense, knowledge etc. Not through amount of gaming hours.

• Like 4

Reading the arguments against, I have to agree.  A veteran's level should not be visible for all of the reasons stated above.  I would still like to see something done with XP once you reach max rank though.  The veteran stars idea would be fine if it's only seen by the player himself.  It's like the medal box from Silent Hunter.  What if XP above the max rank could be redeemed for something?

• Like 2

admin mentioned they want to introduce pvp leaderboard rewards, maybe some thing can be done there instead. like the "reaching leaderboard first place flag" and the "most average leaderboard points over one week flag" and stuff like that ;)

edit: and dont forget the "i got sunk the most over the last week" flag of shame ;D

Edited by Durin

Just now, Durin said:

admin mentioned they want to introduce pvp leaderboard rewards, maybe some thing can be done there instead. like the "reaching leaderboard first place flag" and the "most average leaderboard points over one week flag" and stuff like that ;)

Yeah, but that would always be the same players.  Don't get me wrong, it displays high skill to top the leaderboard, but most of us will never achieve that and I can see bitterness coming from that. 

• Like 3

hmm but it would be better then just getting it by default for hours played. and also i dont think it should be in the name of the player like suggested here. that sounds like something for chat warriors. if at all, it should only be visible on your ship in battle :)

Edited by Durin
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Reading the arguments against, I have to agree.  A veteran's level should not be visible for all of the reasons stated above.  I would still like to see something done with XP once you reach max rank though.  The veteran stars idea would be fine if it's only seen by the player himself.  It's like the medal box from Silent Hunter.  What if XP above the max rank could be redeemed for something?

Why not let the veteran player decide himself he he wants to show off his stars or not. Give him an option in game settings. Problem solved.

• Like 4

I don't know about the PvE server, but when it comes to the PvP server I don't understand why NPC grinding even counts towards achieving high ranks at all. Maybe it makes sense for the lower ranks and for the PvE server, but I have always thought that the top few ranks in the PvP server should only be achievable through actual PvP experience. Even PvP losses or escapes could count to some meaningful extent (experience is experience), so people aren't so damn scared to go out and take chances with PvP. I also like the idea of some kind of special visible accolades (e.g. titles, suffixes, etc) for prolific traders and crafters as well, to get more ships in the water and ships/goods on the market. But encouraging even more brainless zombie NPC grinding? I don't see the benefit.

Edited by Rompers
spelling
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, admin said:

free dlc maybe? the problem is - what is the threshhold? 2000-5000? 10000? hours

what do we consider veteran? gametime, time the game is owned? i dont think you should reward someone to buy your game, have it it their chest, drag it up after a long time and get an unique item. I would consider it to take some kind of hours ingame in general say 3 hours is a good amount of game time if you split it down to average gametime each day, so maybe.

an easy equation could be then 3 hours per day x365 days x3 years, which would be 3285 hours clocked in so say you have, ~3300 hours gametime unlocks you the dlc. I would also advice to have some minor goals inbetween here, maybe 100 hours = 200 000 reals, 1000hours = Redoutable Note or something in that way.

Then you reward your players for sticking with you and there will always be something to reach for. Maybe instead of having rewards as items you can lose you could choose to pick a flag (permanent and sticks to the account) or a really rare ship note (which can be lost) or repairs, armaments etc (which also can be lost ofcourse).

• Like 1

In game veteran status really doesn't mean anything cause all I have to do is make a new alt and than farm the crap out of newbs as a newb.   I have 6 chars and all have diffrent levels of online time from a few thousand hours to my main char I don't even play on any more which has over 9K hours.   Why would I want folks to know a char I changed names and nations is some one with a billion hours?  The other thing is I been on games folks made new chars just to make it look like they where newbs to farm others.  On a few of these I actually keep a char in Newbie area to help new players against these type of players.   So you always have toxic folks that will abuse it.

3 hours ago, admin said:

free dlc maybe? the problem is - what is the threshhold? 2000-5000? 10000? hours

Just knowing my own hours on my chars I would say maybe not in the high range. I would more call veterans by time they bene playing the game than hours actualling game, but than again we have the Yatch (for sea trials) and pandora (for EA) players.  What would we give vets?   Though I could be made happy with a DLC trade ship/refit winkwink..lol

- Long time playing = existing highest rank = good NA experience (not skill) is assumed  

- Very long time playing = highest rank + star1 + start2 = NA expert. Each star has 2000h gap after highest rank ?

These accounts, being alts or not, only reflect that their owners are NA experts,

It give them a status, of which they can be honored or not, that has a value for other NA community members.

Fresh players , joining a Nation and possibly a clan, would see instantly who are "NA experts" if any.

I guess these high ranks will create a more meaningful hierarchy (today most players can reach highest Admiral rank, creating a mass of same high ranks)

This additional rank hierarchy status might help the whole community to be instinctively moderated by those NA expert players.

NA expert players would be "considered" as potential support for newbies and as credible opinions to listen.

In my own experience, clans & nations I joined might have worked better in term of cohesion if some players had been considered as NA experts from newcomers. 

Expert players are the backbone of a group generally, in a clans they usually are the one who work harder for the benefit of the group.

Player skill is essential, skill can be measured with other mechanics, but experience is meaningfull too.  

NA can live long because of its community, the few hundreds of expert players should be identified by high ranks, the few thousands of newcomers over next months/years will see :

- a community with greater depth in term of players categories

- less alts, cause a 5 stars admiral account cannot be re-produced happily

- the consistancy of rank scale difficulty and therefore its merit to recognize

The above has nothing to do with skill of players, yet a long NA experience is a data that is visually ignored while it means a lot.

cheers

Frog

• Like 1

I would define a high-ranking star veteran not only by hours (we all know he could be sailing afk most of the time), but by a simple calculation which looks at his online time in relation to his battle score, not differing though between PvE and PvP casualties. This way you give more stars to a skilled captain and leave the noob admiral flat, who just advanced by time.

Like you multiply his total in hours by a factor determined by kills. I leave the rest to programmers and math geniuses, I am none of them.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, Celtiberofrog said:

Although I'm not concerned, I think some players who spent thousands of hours in NA could be recognized with ranks.

The XP scale could include "stars" added to the highest rank, each star would be reached at extremely high XP level  !

The effect of identifying a player with his rank, seeing stars behind would simply allow the recognition of a veteran level by itself.

i also believe that  the recognition system need some love 

also

stats needs a overhaul

for example to click on a player to get some more information on how he is doing 

other games have it to and its always nice to see what medals or toffees they have won

but on the moment we still have the blue Alpha clan system working.

and probably will see a other system coming in place for it in the future i HOPE.

12 hours ago, admin said:

some ideas?

First 1100 hours:

a golden Hercules (one time ship* }

plus a free ship slot in docks. permanent

plus 300.000 reaals

on 2500 hours: 

a free (one time other*) dlc ship + 5000 doubloons

plus a free dock space  slot( permanent)

plus 400.000 reaals

on 5000 hours:

a free golden 2 rate ship  (random)

plus a free dock  space slot( permanent)

plus a naval clock.

plus 500.000 reaals

on 10.000 hours :

a Special Rank and 20.000  doubloons 

plus a free dock space  (permanent)

a special  flag 

a golden first rate (random)

after 10k nothing more

collectable in gift DLC

* if you have the dlc ship you get a other one instead .

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 3

Better to find a way to grant a trait (bonus like a perk) to good players even if they are new to Naval Action. If someone has a very high success rate in hunting traders , he might become WolfOfTheSea, if someone has very high success rate in PvPing he could get trait of Master&Commander, if a trader manage to often evade attacks, he become BlockadeRunner and so on. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thonys said:

some ideas?

First 1100 hours:

a golden Hercules (one time ship* }

plus a free ship slot in docks. permanent

plus 300.000 reaals

on 2500 hours: 

a free (one time other*) dlc ship + 5000 doubloons

plus a free dock space  slot( permanent)

plus 400.000 reaals

on 5000 hours:

a free golden 2 rate ship  (random)

plus a free dock  space slot( permanent)

plus a naval clock.

plus 500.000 reaals

on 10.000 hours :

a Special Rank and 20.000  doubloons 

plus a free dock space  (permanent)

a special  flag 

a golden first rate (random)

after 10k nothing more

collectable in gift DLC

* if you have the dlc ship you get a other one instead .

so i let my alts run the game over night to let them all become *VETS* :D

Dont think judging by hours played is the way.

Edited by Liq
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Liq said:

so i let my alts run the game over night to let them all become *VETS* :D

Dont think judging by hours played is the way.

well a first-lieutenant with a vet recognition tels me a lot :))

1 minute ago, Bart Smith said:

What about this veterans with  thousands hours who sealclubbing new players near Shroud Cay? Are they deserve it  as well?

yes , they do that`s how they play their game.

the fact that you dont like that, is of course you private opinion 

it is just a trait for playing the game nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Thonys said:

yes , they do that`s how they play their game.

the fact that you dont like that, is of course you private opinion 

it is just a trait for playing the game nothing else.

Im quite happy tbh - its not good for game but... We got them (new players) coming to PvE now