Game-Labs Forum

Patch 29. Sextant, shallow water changes, improvements in the User interface.

admin

One major game mechanic I would like to see explored in an upcoming patch is the limited focal points we have in aiming (100m, 250m or infinite).  Is this limited focal point selection based on historic gunnery aiming protocol?  Would it be possible to add more increments or even use the mouse wheel to scroll the focal point distance?  Wouldn't the gunnery sergeant call out a target area on the ship to focus on?  It would be more rewarding for the player to execute their intentional target instead of always compromising on the 'closest' focal point selection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

I am sure you have plenty of ideas, no matter how odd they seem. Only devs decide final design though.

to be fair i was pretty happy how he game stood 12 months ago ,,,

im not a fan of dlc ships ....

my main bug bear at the moment is that you can only craft repairs in workshops ,, and the number of workshops  you can build is limited ,,, i have two ports with ships in no repairs there ,,,they are close to enemy borders so ideal for raiding or finding enemy ai to pve with ... but both are about an hours sail from nearest workshop ... i dont want have the motivation to sail repairs there ... its an hour of my gaming time just transferring goods , dont forget the time i spent aquiring the materials to build the repairs in the first place ,,, i sem o spend too much time sailing around picking up iron here coal there ,, sailing it to another port .. then fir and sugar needs collecting ,, and transfering somewhere else .. then i have to sail again to take completed repairs to another outpost ,,, maybe i lose a ship or two after been atacked ,,, so have to do it all again ,,, its like  nah ill go play another game

if you want to go all historic and realism ////17th / 18th century if a captain wanted to repair his ship ... he careened it on nearest beach went into the nearest forrest and cut trees down ... they didnt need to be in a port with workshops

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

if a captain wanted to repair his ship ... he careened it on nearest beach went into the nearest forrest and cut trees down

To be able to return to a port with facilities to fully repair his ship. Not to fully function as fully fit.

But i get your point. No logistics, just battle. That's where me and you conflict in ideas. Age of sail for me is all about warships to protect trade, to establish power of trade, to interdict enemy trade. But I also get the appeal of having none of that and just grab a ship and go fight, sea trials galore.

In 7 days of NA, not every single one of them is the same for me. Some days I go small vessels. Next day I grab super frigate. The other I go captured NPC ships. The other go patrol zone with whatever i have nearby.

How to make a experience appealing to all, that's a gordian knot.

Game is okay now imo. Doubloons are getting close to their reals value, and acquisition of Admiralty ships like Bellona and other similar ones is fairly straightforward and easy.

In the War server, going after treasure ( doubloons ) puts you in the sea and open to enemies, and puts enemies open to you. That's how the war server works.

• Like 3

Currently:

The forum atracts more people then the game,..

what a waist of time and money..

The best sailors are standing on the side..

landlubbering about..and sounding like foghorns..echoing in the distance,

driven on a endless tide..

of meaningles debates..

foghorn toeter.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

To be able to return to a port with facilities to fully repair his ship. Not to fully function as fully fit.

But i get your point. No logistics, just battle. That's where me and you conflict in ideas. Age of sail for me is all about warships to protect trade, to establish power of trade, to interdict enemy trade. But I also get the appeal of having none of that and just grab a ship and go fight, sea trials galore.

In 7 days of NA, not every single one of them is the same for me. Some days I go small vessels. Next day I grab super frigate. The other I go captured NPC ships. The other go patrol zone with whatever i have nearby.

How to make a experience appealing to all, that's a gordian knot.

Game is okay now imo. Doubloons are getting close to their reals value, and acquisition of Admiralty ships like Bellona and other similar ones is fairly straightforward and easy.

In the War server, going after treasure ( doubloons ) puts you in the sea and open to enemies, and puts enemies open to you. That's how the war server works.

no you dont get my point ... i dont mind sailing goods around ... i do it all the time ... i sail white oak from northern florida  to KPR  and have done for a long time ... i have sailed teak all around the map ... thats fine ... but its just gone too far .. the extra sailing repairs around ... the extra sailing of ships to re position them .... the extra sailing required if the proposed no trader tool happens ... its gone too far 

I agree there has to be an experience for all ....but the experience should be  AVAILABLE  for all not a REQUIREMENT

• Like 4

Sorry to have misinterpreted you then. I see what you mean with extra-sailing. Regarding that, my only focus is happiness in the removal of F11 debug coordinates. Then the Perk okay, i guess. Not for me. The trader tool could be replaced by "last visit" old UI. We had it already once. Having Elite Dangerous type of live market prices ? Well... if we must...

As long as the ships are in the water, doing their stuff, attacking enemies and being open to attack i'm okay. 

This is why the "tavern" in Sid Meir's game was so good.....

I really wish we could get a smidgen of info from around the map.  Even snapshots and little bits can be useful.

"A recent traveller to Port Howe reports that Sugar is available for....."

Edited by Vernon Merrill
  • Like 7

52 minutes ago, Ouwe Knar said:

Currently:
The forum atracts more people then the game,..
what a waist of time and money..
The best sailors are standing on the side..
landlubbering about..and sounding like foghorns..echoing in the distance,
driven on a endless tide..
of meaningles debates..

You see the irony of your post right?

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Sorry to have misinterpreted you then. I see what you mean with extra-sailing. Regarding that, my only focus is happiness in the removal of F11 debug coordinates. Then the Perk okay, i guess. Not for me. The trader tool could be replaced by "last visit" old UI. We had it already once. Having Elite Dangerous type of live market prices ? Well... if we must...

As long as the ships are in the water, doing their stuff, attacking enemies and being open to attack i'm okay. 

i agree ... i dont really care for the f11  ,,,, but the traders tool is essential ... if you dont want to use it for navigation then take the distance table off it ,,, but if im going to sail for an hour to buy and transport a resource ,,, i damn well wont go unless im pretty sure its available in that port ,,,im not going to sail around  from port to port hoping  for something to be on sale to buy and then spend more time sailing around looking for best port to  sell it to  at a profit ... 

you offered a compromise earlier

heres one i would accept .. double the number of outposts your allowed and double the amount of buildings your allowed ..

would take a lot of my frustrations away ,, still would mean i have to sail everywhere ,, but would cut down the time ,, sailing in the middle of the ocean for hours .... staring at nothing

with almost zero chance of meeting another player

you said earlier in this thread the game is sandbox ... the reason it isnt is that your forced to follow a certain set of actions to achieve anything .... these actions are forced on us by the devs in the hope that it will make people sail ships everywhere... and it does .... IF THEY CONTINUE PLAYING ...  but what the devs have not considered is what if they stop playing

i would rather have a game with a 1000 people playing where 50%  dont venture out of the safe zones

than 200ppl in game  sailing repairs around so that once a week they can venture out for pvp

have really enjoyed playing this  game ... but like anything ... there is a point when the more you add and change ,, sometimes you start spoiling what you had even if the intention was to make it better

think we have past that point now ..

Edited by Grundgemunkey
  • Like 2

@Grundgemunkey imo you should have an anchor option in OW, if you anchored down like x m from coast (could be increased if depending on the ship and the amount of time it takes) you would start to repair x% repair each ingame hour or simply follow the 10 minutes mark, this would simulate carpenters chopping down trees and repairing hull and rigging. To balance it so people wouldnt be able to quick repair with start and stopping it would take 20 seconds to lower/pull up anchor, enough time to escape if an enemy is seen at the horizon. 

Edited by Guest
stupid autocorrect REEEE

1 hour ago, Wyy said:

@Grundgemunkey imo you should have an achor option in OW, if you anchored down like x m from coast (could be increased if depending on the ship and the amount of time it takes) you would start to repair x% repair each ingame hour or simply follow the 10 minutes mark, this would simulate carpenters chopping down trees and repairing hull and rigging. To balance it so people wouldnt be able to quick repair with start and stopping it would take 20 seconds to lower/pull up anchor, enough time to escape if an enemy is seen at the horizon. 

I purposed same long before, a good idea.

• Like 1

Just an other thing. I had multiple PvP fights today but because I got ganked several times on OW I had no chance to loot most of the gankers I sunk. Over all I got more doubloons rewards from PvE (AI 5th rates) than from PvP (player 5th rates) today. That feels strange. Do not get me wrong I do not complain because I PvP for fun, not for doubloons, but the actual risk-reward relation of PvE and PvP seems/feels wrong to me. 

I like the repair suggestion in your post @Wyy

On 12/11/2018 at 12:32 PM, admin said:

The game code has been almost completely prepared for localization. Localization/Tranlsation has started into main promised languages. Custom language file added for those who want to translate the game into any language for themselves or community or those who are not satisfied with our main english version

• To use the custom file for your version of the translation:
    • Open folder Languages (currently Langs)
    • Copy the file named  _English.csv 
    • Paste and rename it to another name
    • Translate or edit that file to the language you want 
    • Save it in the standard CSV format if you open it in the Excel (file uses UTF-8)
    • Name of that file will be available in the general section of options in the drop down menu
    • File will be working properly after game has been restarted.

Speaking of localization/translation, it'd be nice to improve the spelling of the name of the French ships appearing in game, mainly by adding an accent when needed and the article where it was forgotten :

• adding an accent on the 'e' of La Renommée and L'Océan :

kM0Aqp5.png

ProC8bu.png

• adding an article (Le, La, L') when needed :

While the article was added in game on Le Requin, L'Océan, L'Hermione, Le Gros Ventre :

3jjKKzE.png

kM0Aqp5.png

qooXsMD.png

it was forgotten on La Belle Poule, La Renommée, Le Bucentaure :

aPLorks.png

ProC8bu.png

In brief

• Four names are misspelt L'Océan, La Renommée, La Belle Poule, Le Bucentaure
  • The other three names are correctly spelt : Le Requin, L'Hermione, Le Gros Ventre

Did I forget a ship ?

PS : "Le Téméraire" if added.

Hoping it helps.🙂

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sir Loorkon said:

Just an other thing. I had multiple PvP fights today but because I got ganked several times on OW I had no chance to loot most of the gankers I sunk. Over all I got more doubloons rewards from PvE (AI 5th rates) than from PvP (player 5th rates) today. That feels strange. Do not get me wrong I do not complain because I PvP for fun, not for doubloons, but the actual risk-reward relation of PvE and PvP seems/feels wrong to me. 

I like the repair suggestion in your post @Wyy

I still keep saying Admirality of my nation should give more dubloons for sinking enemy player ships, to be higher for military ships. So when I reach a friendly port, instead of 40 dubloons battle reward, I should be getting at least 250-300 dubloons from admirality. The loot should stay and can be reduced the amount the admirality gives us, so whoever participates in pvp should get some fair compensation for dedicated time and efforts in the battle, cargo loot is a bonus.

@admin please make these changes, it will generate much more pvp. It is currently dead aside from Patrol Zones. Some good working mechanics were broken (admirality to give pvp rewards), it does not seem good looking at the online numbers. 

I think making map positioning a little bit easier would bring a big relief to new players, It will also make sailing a bit more efficient and less tedious.

Following up on what @Wraith and @greybuscat suggest and depending on how much work it will require, maybe have a combination of automatic map position (inaccurate) and a perk (a little more accurate).

1- Automatic map position will be based on noon sighting that is available to all players. It won't be very accurate (with a 15-20 Km margin of error or worse) and would show a circle on the map of where the ship might be. This would reflect basic navigation skills. The circle would only update every in game noon and maybe even more inaccurate if there was a storm or doesn't update at all until the next clear day.

2- Navigation Perk would provide a more accurate position of the order of 5-10 km.

An alternative to a circle/area on the map, we will do with less accurate coordinates. instead of full degrees, minutes and seconds, just provide approximate coordinates reflecting the error margins.

As far as Perk are related, are they good/bad...that seems to be a whole different conversation. Are people willing to spend 2 Perk points for such a tool? I'm sure there are. If you feel this is a totally useless Perk, then don't use it and focus on what's important to you.

Should chart precise location be an entitlement, I can go either way. I was quite disappointed when Map grid/location was removed, I probably ranted about it, but I definitely understand the reason now that I know this is a hardcore game tailored to attract crack sailors. Even without precise map position, I still sail and have only been lost once. It is not impossible to sail without coordinates, it is just tedious and more time consuming.

So, I welcome any improvement that makes sailing less tedious.

• Like 4