Game-Labs Forum

Back after 2 month break...

3 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Slim, I’m not sure how long you’ve been around.  But 99% of the things you’ve mentioned have been implemented at some point and tested.  Collision damage, for example.  I personally loved it and thought it was a great way to prevent hugging.  However, most people hated it because it just usually turned into a Ram-fest. Also, when I started playing, you had ONE repair.  Again, I personally liked it because you really really had to plan your strategy around it.  But also again, many people hated it for various reasons.   I’m not saying I personally wouldn’t like certain things that aren’t in game.   However, it has ALWAYS come down to the fact that some people want things a certain way (more simple) and some people want things another way (more complex).  You’ve certainly been aroun long enough to see that VERY few changes are universally liked.   

So while I understand that people are always going to be passionate about trying to get changes that appeal to their personal play style, I’m glad the devs have finally decided to try and stop trying to please both camps and make the game THEY enjoy.  Because at the end othe day, trying to please both sides just made both sides unhappy.  

The game they enjoy? Oh fine I am a c++ developer myself... I think I try that with my customers... hey you dont get the software you enjoy... but the one I enjoy LOL Lets see how that works out...

7 minutes ago, John Hood said:

The game they enjoy? Oh fine I am a c++ developer myself... I think I try that with my customers... hey you dont get the software you enjoy... but the one I enjoy LOL Lets see how that works out...

Then by all means make the game YOU like.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Then by all means make the game YOU like.  

Well its not just about me... so you think all is getting the right way with the player numbers dropping like stones... They cater to thier hardcore pvp players... and loose the mass of casual players... it helps if you have a game with then what 100 maybe 200 people left on it right? Then you can enjoy the empty waters...

On 11/24/2018 at 12:22 AM, John Hood said:

Well its not just about me... so you think all is getting the right way with the player numbers dropping like stones... They cater to thier hardcore pvp players... and loose the mass of casual players... it helps if you have a game with then what 100 maybe 200 people left on it right? Then you can enjoy the empty waters...

Again, create the game YOU want...  develop all the models, mechanics and rules.  

Now get it up on STEAM and see what kind of numbers you get before release and any advertising.  

I’ll keep my eyes open to see how it’s doing. 

I'm constantly amazed by the people who are just so VERY SURE that if the devs just listened to them, the game would be perfect and have thousands of players.  So much hubris.  

Edited by Vernon Merrill
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Again, create the game YOU want...  develop all the models, mechanics and rules.  

Now get it up on STEAM and see what kind of numbers you get before release and any advertising.  

I’ll keep my eyes open to see how it’s doing. 

Mom constantly amazed by the people who are just so VERY SURE that if the devs just listened to them, the game would be perfect and have thousands of players.  So much hubris.  

So you just dont see that they even loose the people they had? Its on sale on steam now for a while and I saw two sales and numbers of players always increased doing that... this time... nope... I played a lot of hours and I had a decent friends list... people of them on over the weekend so far... 1 !  Btw developer not equals developer... I dont do unity I write enterprise software so I cant do a 3D model if my life depends on it... 

2 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

...  the people who are just so VERY SURE that if the devs just listened to them, the game would be perfect and have thousands of players.  

That opinion is not worthy. It lacks description. Similar to the statement "Do what I say and the game will be more fun." It's pointless because 'fun' is in the eye of the beer holder.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

That opinion is not worthy. It lacks description. Similar to the statement "Do what I say and the game will be more fun." It's pointless because 'fun' is in the eye of the beer holder.

Well I think before the patch it had something for everyone... you could do missions relatively easy, level your ships up etc.. it was not perfect but it keept you entertained... now I am on my 3 rd hunting trip... out at sea by now for 4 days... again not one target...  and simple kill missions they ruined...  i really wonder how they expect new people to level up without getting frustrated... 

2 hours ago, John Hood said:

. out at sea by now for 4 days... again not one target...  and simple kill missions they ruined...  i really wonder how they expect new people to level up without getting frustrated... 

John, you are not listening to what people are saying. If you are out at sea for 4 days still not a single target, then YOU are in the WRONG place. Can't you understand that?.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

It seems like it’s gotten to the point where everyone who loses a ship complains in the forums now.

It seems so.... I also don't like how everyone claims DLC ships are completely broken - they are simply some of the best options for frequent PvP due to their availability and capabilities. Maybe they are overperforming in some aspects but I'm afraid they will be overnerfed, if people keep blaming their lack of skill and experience on DLC ships entirely. It seems many people have a serious issue with understanding that there are simply better players out there. I hope the devs won't turn the DLC ships into floating garbage due to excessive moaning about them. One of my mates only started playing the game due to the DLC ships. He hates crafting and loses a lot of ships, so he doesn't want to ask for a new one constantly. With the DLC he gets at least 1 per day for free, providing content for others in return. People need to get over themselves. The DLC ships should be balanced but still some of the top ships in their tier.

We just don't need more DLC redeemable ships. Make the Herc and Requin great but balanced and leave it at that. Future DLC ships like the Christian VII should be craft notes only and capturable.

• Like 3

Why don't people just capture a free 5th rate if they don't have a ship (don't even need to buy medium guns, still have to equip upgrades and get reps)? Why can/will they only sail a dlc-ship?

Because a dlc-ship, at the moment, is obviously much better quality (no rng (you can chose your woods (even if you don't have the resources)), and in the cases we have now dlc-ships with some of the best sailingprofiles in-game)?

As long as this is true, any dlc-ship will be overpowered, correct?

• Like 1

Herc is a very good solo ship standing in the middle of 5th rates I would say. But as soon as there is more ships involved in deep water engagements, you will see it's power fade. The higher calibre and the bigger HP pool of other frigates will demand it's toll in fleet fights. 

Someone willing to test three Hercs vs three NPC captured 5ths? 

@Havelock @rediii @Captain Reverse @DreamMaker @DesMoines @Polish Privateer @Durin @Jorge @HachiRoku @vazco @Caramon Mayer @Imperator1 @Gregory Rainsborough @Groslulu77

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Polish Privateer said:

I am willing to test, but I predict Hercs winning. Masts are much smaller but same HP as Surprise, so harder to hit overall. Hull smaller, but same HP. 6 chasers, great turn rate and ok thickness. Big size guns, there is no balance to the ship. It can be killed of course and has weak sides, but overall it's too good. 

Would tend to the same result honestly, therefore the testing. And ofc would this test prove something is imbalanced aka Herc still OP or should I rephrase my primary thesis?

2 hours ago, Palatinose said:

Herc is a very good solo ship standing in the middle of 5th rates I would say. But as soon as there is more ships involved in deep water engagements, you will see it's power fade. The higher calibre and the bigger HP pool of other frigates will demand it's toll in fleet fights. 

@Havelock @rediii @Captain Reverse @DreamMaker @DesMoines @Polish Privateer @Durin @Jorge @HachiRoku @vazco @Caramon Mayer @Imperator1 @Gregory Rainsborough @Groslulu77

I don't have the dlc but will do if you cap me the ai ship. I am still very unhappy on how the dlc was implemented and will consider it P2W as long the are unlimited redeemables and don't have an influence on economy. Do they still not need to be crafted? 

11 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

and don't have an influence on economy

That's not completely accurate.  You still have to gun them (minor) and fill the slots.  That can be major Reals if you put something decent on them.  And if they get players out in OW, then it's good all round.

Edited by Angus MacDuff

2 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

That's not completely accurate.  You still have to gun them (minor) and fill the slots.  That can be major Reals if you put something decent on them.  And if they get players out I OW, then it's good all round.

Its more about the logistics of ship building. Not needing to build them with ship yards etc. Material wise shallow ships have little impact I agree. On smaller ships you can buy medium cannons from ai since longs are useless on them anyway. 

2 hours ago, Palatinose said:

If we says about 5-th rates im ready use 1 indefat vs 2 herk (i know indefat will win).  If we talk seriously, 1 herk can beat 3 npc - just need time, you know it, NPC cant use repairs :) Need other test.( OR you mean   3 players on herks vs 3 players captured ships, so im ready do it)
(i don't play this game this month, maybe smth was change and im wrong)

Edited by DreamMaker

2 minutes ago, DreamMaker said:

If we says about 5-th rates im ready use 1 indefat vs 2 herk (i know indefat will win).

That's a pretty broad statement.  It is still predicated on the skill of the Captains.  I've taken down several Indefs in a Herc, and me and my mate took down a Connie with two Hercs.  In these cases, the bigger ship's COs made mistakes that I could capitalise on.

56 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

That's a pretty broad statement.  It is still predicated on the skill of the Captains.  I've taken down several Indefs in a Herc, and me and my mate took down a Connie with two Hercs.  In these cases, the bigger ship's COs made mistakes that I could capitalise on.

That's what I'm pretty sure about( as written beffore). This does not mean that there is truth, everyone can be wrong - you can check it, if you find 2 herks we can make pvp vs 1 indefat. But anyway i know it :D

On 11/23/2018 at 11:08 AM, John Hood said:

Oh: I got the insurance... haha 15000 real for the loss of 2 ships... I cant even replace one if I go fir fir... 

Total lies.

Endymion FIR/FIR construction price

Oak log - 327 x5 = 1635

Fir log - 887 x2 = 1774

Hemp - 73 x29 = 2117

Iron ore - 66 x31 = 2046

Lignum Vitae - 15 x18 = 270

Stone Block - 37 x7 = 259

Coal - 50 x1 = 50

Provision 340 x9 = 3060

Total=11211
LH = 588

Few things to point:

1. Get good: I really don't understand how people still didn't figured out how to fight Herc in 2k18

2. Do math before you bitch about it.

3. Why won't you sail on Herc if its pure P2W? Its obvious that if you would sail on it you would just die in first PVP encounter and you don't want to admit it. Instead you go on forums and whine about DLC ships. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Thanks for the math @Beeekonda

You are welcome. I did few of those to see how much it would cost me to craft a ship cuz people still sell ships for like 200-300k 

Bellona Teak/WO construction price
Oak log - 584 x5 = 2920
Fir log - 314 x2 = 628
Hemp - 130 x29 = 3770
Iron ore - 119 x31 = 3689
Lignum Vitae - 27 x18 = 486
Stone Block - 65 x7 = 455
Coal - 89 x1  = 89
Teak lox - 1120 x?? 
White Oak log -385 x??

Provision 650 x9 = 5850

Balloons -4148
Permit - 1 x1000=1000

Teak+WO = x???
                                  = 17887 Reals
                                  = 5148 balloons            
LH = 1465

Let's say if you buy Teak and WO for 50gold per log(56000 and 19250) your total would be 93137 Reals and 5850 Doubloons

Edited by Beeekonda
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2018 at 11:48 PM, John Hood said:

Well I think before the patch it had something for everyone... you could do missions relatively easy, level your ships up etc.. it was not perfect but it keept you entertained... now I am on my 3 rd hunting trip... out at sea by now for 4 days... again not one target...  and simple kill missions they ruined...  i really wonder how they expect new people to level up without getting frustrated... 

1 hour ago, Beeekonda said:

You are welcome. I did few of those to see how much it would cost me to craft a ship cuz people still sell ships for like 200-300k 

Bellona Teak/WO construction price
Oak log - 584 x5 = 2920
Fir log - 314 x2 = 628
Hemp - 130 x29 = 3770
Iron ore - 119 x31 = 3689
Lignum Vitae - 27 x18 = 486
Stone Block - 65 x7 = 455
Coal - 89 x1  = 89
Teak lox - 1120 x?? 
White Oak log -385 x??

Provision 650 x9 = 5850

Balloons -4148
Permit - 1 x1000=1000

Teak+WO = x???
                                  = 17887 Reals
                                  = 5148 balloons            
LH = 1465

Let's say if you buy Teak and WO for 50gold per log(56000 and 19250) your total would be 93137 Reals and 5850 Doubloons

This points out a problem that explains why the market for crafted ships has dried up. I haunt La Tortue and Tumbado looking at ship prices and there are precious few compared to before the last patch.And the ones that are for sale are priced much higher than before. At a 25:1 conversion ration, some ships are going for the equivalent of 50 million gold (old currency). This makes the bigger ships (3rd rates and above) more precious and harder to replace. The natural response is not to risk them in combat. Yes, they are only pixels. And there is a wipe coming. But better balance is needed or after the wipe the noobs will not be able or willing to get replacement ships...

• Like 1