Game-Labs Forum

Patch 23: Updated Tutorial, Special ship and new UI teaser.

admin

7 minutes ago, Michael Corvinus said:

I read in Nation that a player got jumped by an Indefatigable and got a Surprise as a reinforcement ship and it sailed off on it's own.. Another got jumped by a Trinco and also a Surprise came in.

But it was a buffed Suprise?  lol

24 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

But it was a buffed Suprise?  lol

The reinforcement surprise (or belle poule) seem to be the IA ship spawns in each case a 5th rate attacks. To give you an idea they are buffed in the sense that they seem to have really a stone hull and good firepower, but they are not fast as "fast" players' 5th rates. 

Edited by victor

I was the one got attacked by a trinc.

My reinforcement was a surp...heading in the wrong direction, so it had to turn 180°. The time i was sunk, the Trinc wasn´t scratched (i tried to shoot the sails).

Those reinforcements are a joke, the attacker just ignore them and sink you, specially when sailing trade ships.....

1 hour ago, Michael Corvinus said:

I watched so called PvP in action yesterday in the Nassau Patrol zone. 1 Brit player in a 1 on 1 battle.  I was going back in a T/Lynx. I  saw a Spanish player waiting for a while and then joined. I went into port swapped into a Mercury and came out to jump in on the side of the Brit. By the time I got  there, the Brit had done his first fight but was being set upon by a fresh Spanish player whilst he himself needed repairing. It seemed to me that the so called PvP Spanish waited until things were stacked well in his favor. I managed to get there and tried to help the Brit survive, but he was too badly damaged and the Spanish Player managed to sink him. I fought the Spanish player and as he got low on structure he must have called out as another Spanish jumped in with a Heavy rattled and I ended up with 2 on 1. Luckily I managed to sink the first one before I was myself sunk.

So even in an area where there is PvP, so called PvP players will only jump in once things are stacked int heir favor  and they can guarantee a win.

Exactly this.

Just now, Sir Texas Sir said:

So I just tested something, hostility missions are restricted to 3 cancellations too.  Well guess those missions are stuck in a bad location and I won't be doing nay other ports hostlity with that char. @admin thought is was for only noraml player solo/fleet missions?

I assume this was added to combat people stacking missions but it does suck we are force to use shallow ships for shallow ports if we aren't lucky enough to get those missions in the deep. its a shame considering how the missions work now... I guess everyone needs alts to get what they want...

1 hour ago, chaireddin said:

Those reinforcements are a joke, the attacker just ignore them and sink you, specially when sailing trade ships.....

I feel for you. But new reinforcements are just working as intended. The alleged "rebalance" of the green zones has been carried out just to grant easy pvp kills also in front of capital cities.

Just play as if there were no reinforcement at all: be cautious, look at combat news and national chat to know the situation in your zone and search some far away place to do your things in relative peace (I know that any good trade route ends in the capital, but i think no one will ever change this, since also trade has been shaped to concentrate traders in a specific point for the benefit of hunters).

Edited by victor

16 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The irony is that you have to know where the green zones are at because new players can't go out and even cap a Trader Brig without bringing down a hunting group on themselves if they mistakenly do it in a green zone and create an always-open battle.  It's silly.

Well, they should be allowed the luxury of capping a T-Brig, but I think you are exaggerating a little on that.  You can go to any remote spot and get a T-Brig in peace.  Especially with this pathetic population created by this dev team.

Edited by Jean Ribault

Tested more the final exam:

Boarding is too easy and through hull is the hardest. This is if you don't try to exploit/cheat in the exam as Admin is recommending.

It is probably as fast to dismast both as it is to sink one of them. Can be that the last mast patch was not enough. Chains were not really that useful? It felt like that it was simply better to dismast?

Thickness issues were there only because best wood types and upgrades. Standard ships with standard wood types and upgrades should have enough thickness that you can actually use it. Increase thickness for all wood types and if it goes too high for best wood types and upgrades nerf those. Increasing repair cooldown to counter increased durability.

Different tactics are in bad balance.

If you get mast hits and are not able to get masts down there are 2 possibilities. You either shoot too far or you spread your hits to every possible mast section. Go closer and hit the bottom mast section.

Instant battle from one button is nice. Sad but no can do.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You clearly haven't watched the parade of players dying inside the American green zone every night. LOL I mean, you start a new player at a capital, it would make sense that for them it's the safest not most dangerous place in the game, right?

But my advice to newbs is to get in your cutter and take off to another port, neutral or remote nation port, and start your game there.  Buy that OP as soon as you can and create your life there before returning to the capital.  There are many such opportunistic locations.

When you're ready, come back home to capital, join a clan, and play it out.  By then you've probably already done the tutorial as well.

Edited by Jean Ribault

Just now, Wraith said:

But seriously, does this make sense? "Welcome to the game. Now go play solo in a remote corner of the Caribbean until you learn how to play. Bye."

lol, I wouldn't quite put it like that.  However it works.  I've done that on all three (now only 2) servers.  Did it again after the latest merge.  It's quite easy in the face of griefing.

well idk; reinforcment zones still seem pretty safe to me - as the battles are still open the whole time

I was in the reinforcment zones of the pirates in a belle poule. A Pirate endymion attacked me. I managed to get an early demast, but as he repaired sails and chained me, i couldn't finish him yet. 20 minutes of kiting later, a bellona and endymion joined his side, so I had to disengage.

17 minutes ago, Liq said:

well idk; reinforcment zones still seem pretty safe to me - as the battles are still open the whole time

I was in the reinforcment zones of the pirates in a belle poule. A Pirate endymion attacked me. I managed to get an early demast, but as he repaired sails and chained me, i couldn't finish him yet. 20 minutes of kiting later, a bellona and endymion joined his side, so I had to disengage.

But you were playing solo, most hunt in the green zones in packs and are prepared to take on a large number in a PUG. The green zones probably see more PvP now than the PvP mission zones. They may as well just remove the green zones are remove all doubt.

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that PvP-oriented players should be encouraging players to leave the safe zone and doing their fighting outside that zone.

Instead we have some b.s. "safe" zone mechanics that allows the sharks to circle the cage and reach in and pluck out some unsuspecting newb almost at will. Those players that engage in this behavior claim that this is the only way to find a fight but that's just trash and plenty of fights can be had if they wanted to find them, only it might be more risky than the seal clubbing.

That was my point. Encouraging people to leave the safe zone and engage in risky PvP consensually should be a huge priority. The fact that the majority of PvPers are solely focusing on finding nonconsensual PvP is a problem for player retention because it's unsustainable. We need mechanisms to encourage consensual PvP in the same way we need players to have incentives to leave the safe zone. The events zone and PvP marks are a lazy way to do this and breeds terrible behavior. We need better solutions because the sharks are back at the cage and pretty soon there will be no one left to eat.

I agree but I don't think you really can find fights any other way. It's become such the norm that pvp is either at capitals or in the patrol. People don't want to search for an hour for an enemy, they want the semi strategic ow pvp without having to scout out a quarter of the map for it. 

For it to change you would need a paradigm shift where players just stop going to capitals for pvp. Which will never happen without promoting it whether from missions or something else.

Perserverance is the key to winning the final exam, I made a stupid mistake the first time I tried it today, (yes me and not my wife, she has been banned to the dark Domain of Ark Survival), boarded the first cerb, won that with over 100 Crew left, repaired and went for second cerb, didnt pay Attention and lost the Boarding.

The second attempt, I had a brain fart and got sunk within 10 minutes.

The third attempt I boarded and was left with 48 Crew, (Need to work on Boarding), sailed away, got Crew up to 100 and then sunk the second cerb by circling him , shooting from both sides so the damage was equal to my ship on both sides (lost about two thirds of armour off both sides).

I havent tried the single shot demasting yet, but will do it so I learn how that works, even though I will not get the rewards again, just use it as practice, you dont lose anything in These exams

I am not the best Player in NA, not even Close, but i learned from it, and even with the bad attempts I still had fun.

So the message is, dont get discouraged, if I can complete it then anyone can.

Edited by Glorgir
spelling
  • Like 3

1144D2493096A90EC63AAEB758589654B3C3EA9A

pretty sad i did the tutorial on my first try and didnt even get one built in upgrade. when this gets fixed (as it is bs, and i have no doubt it will), will us poor buggers that didnt get anything be compensated for our rotten luck? Because a reward based on skill, shouldnt be luck based. 😄 @Ink @admin

• Like 3

So when the game is released do we have to do the Exams over again???  Have been hearing that the de-masting has been a bit of a challenge for some players that have been playing for a while.  This may be a deterrent for new players if they can't get it done in 10 minutes they may leave the game.

I got other exams after a few tries but I cannot get past endurance, tried 10 or 11 times now, by the time I get to second ship, I have no structure left, angling does nothing as the ai just sniped the * out of me. I get the repairs and sail away, repair, ai takes that out on one broadside. I'm at a loss, I'm no good at boarding, what do I do? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbnhd76 said:

I got other exams after a few tries but I cannot get past endurance, tried 10 or 11 times now, by the time I get to second ship, I have no structure left, angling does nothing as the ai just sniped the * out of me. I get the repairs and sail away, repair, ai takes that out on one broadside. I'm at a loss, I'm no good at boarding, what do I do? 

You may have to have patience and repair more than once while running depending on how beat up you are. Or repair once, reengage, then run and repair again. It’s boring taking the whole 90 minutes but if that’s what it takes, do it. 

• Like 1

I have over 1000 hours, granted most of that was spent trading, building a fortune. I'll be here 5000 more, no worries. There's no other game like this, AC Black Flag is a ton of fun but not realistic. All I'm saying is it's tough. 

I don't have enough repairs! lol not the way the ai snipes your everything.  

10 hours ago, Sir Loorkon said:

The new double damage caused by chain is far to hard. Fighting against enemies with more ships feels worse. Gankers will love it because it is much more difficult to escape.  

One reason to rule them all, Devs love ganking.

5 hours ago, rbnhd76 said:

I get the repairs and sail away, repair, ai takes that out on one broadside. I'm at a loss, I'm no good at boarding, what do I do? 

Easy way would be to... Take repair kits from the first Brig. Sail upwind while repairing.

3 hours ago, Farrago said:

You may have to have patience and repair more than once while running depending on how beat up you are. Or repair once, reengage, then run and repair again. It’s boring taking the whole 90 minutes but if that’s what it takes, do it. 

I could not agree more.

@admin  Your repair kit system is terrible, boring time sink. Change repairs to something else where players actually do something. If you don't like angling and thickness, then invent something new.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ