Game-Labs Forum

Patch 14: Part 3 experimental patch increasing realism in ship behavior

admin

3 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

The rewards are really only the fun of being involved in a group effort. 

The problem of the rewards for screeners could be solved quite easily.

Let's suppose that - when at least one member of a battle group enters a port battle - all the members of the same battlegroup that are within a certain distance from the port in which there is the battle become elegible for marks in case that battle is won (even it they do not enter the port battle). This should allow the RvR clans to organize battlegroups in a way that also screeners could be actually rewarded for their contribution to conquest.

• Like 3

Just now, victor said:

The problem of the rewards for screeners could be solved quite easily.

Let's suppose that - when at least one member of a battle group enters a port battle - all the members of the same battlegroup that are within a certain distance from the port in which there is the battle become elegible for marks in case that battle is won (even it they do not enter the port battle). This should allow the RvR clans to organize battlegroups in a way that also screeners could be actually rewarded for their contribution to conquest.

Good use for the battle groups.

I'd still use the 10% damage threshold for the assists and associated screeners reward :)

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Good use for the battle groups.

I'd still use the 10% damage threshold for the assists and associated screeners reward :)

Not sure about it. I remember screenings that worked out just thanks to very good kiters that made almost no damage to enemy hulls. I know it's very situational, but the criteria based only on distance from the port of the battle could give rewards also in these cases.

Edited by victor

I was thinking of actual battle to prevent the enemy fleet arriving at destination - sinking of Alliance fleet before it could sail to the Channel and cover invasion army crossing to England -

Was not in powergaming meta mindset.

Sorry for that. Will step away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maturin said:

Are people really complaining about 'too many nations?'

All you need to do is glance at the map to see how drastically better RvR is now, than it has ever been. Just about every nation is a contender now, even the tiny vulnerable stinging insects like Prussia and Poland.

Of course, the many players who used to sail for the unstoppable overpopulated zerg nations that painted half the map in their color would likely not agree.

I have played conquest games that consisted of 3 nations, and I think it worked very well.  Ok sometimes (always) the ginger-of-the-month would get beaten on by the other 2 teams but it worked well I thought.  (Aces High)

2 hours ago, admin said:

we want to change it but we doubt it will have the same effect as tutorial and localization. and we will not make mistake of last year where we were focused on rvr instead of new player experience. 

So i guess you will just have to wait.

This is why instead of the old alliance system I kinda been pushing having a privateer system for pirates.   That way they can work for other nations/clans and keep the RvR to the core nations. IF you odn't want to get involved in the RvR you just remain an outlaw and do your OW thing. IF you want to get into RvR you have to get a contract (letter of Marque) from one of hte nations/Clans to work with them.  While on the LoM you get bonus to your credit and xp depending of the nation is a high pop (negative towards) or low pop (bonus).  Kinda the same way MWO (Mechwarrior Online) does there Merc units. You can take 1 week (think use to 1 month) contracts out at a time as for who your Merc Unit works for.  This will help fill out smaller clans/nations with other clans and give them something to do.  After all what is a Pirate?  A Privateer without a job.

88DyX6h.jpg

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

This is why instead of the old alliance system I kinda been pushing having a privateer system for pirates.   That way they can work for other nations/clans and keep the RvR to the core nations. IF you odn't want to get involved in the RvR you just remain an outlaw and do your OW thing. IF you want to get into RvR you have to get a contract (letter of Marque) from one of hte nations/Clans to work with them.  While on the LoM you get bonus to your credit and xp depending of the nation is a high pop (negative towards) or low pop (bonus).  Kinda the same way MWO (Mechwarrior Online) does there Merc units. You can take 1 week (think use to 1 month) contracts out at a time as for who your Merc Unit works for.  This will help fill out smaller clans/nations with other clans and give them something to do.  After all what is a Pirate?  A Privateer without a job.

88DyX6h.jpg

Come on sir texas That would require more content being put in the game and that's not going to happen .focuse man!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Captain corn blower said:

Come on sir texas That would require more content being put in the game and that's not going to happen .focuse man!!!

TBF they are working new player experience atm - as admin noted above - UI, tutorial, etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Christendom said:

Game is diluted with so many factions.  I’m sure rediii can recall how many fights we would have daily/weekly in the old western vs eastern alliance days with less average players than we have now.  RVR has slowed down considerably since then.  Most of it has to do with the removal of the alliances (which is good btw), but some of it is that we have too many nations and not enough players to stock them

I disagree. there at more port battles now than there were ever before in naval action. I'm sure that @admin can confirm that easily. since the server merge there as been 5-15 pbs a day. smaller nations simply means more targets. @Christendom the reason you have no RVR targets is because you allies with to many of them because your afraid of the big bad sweedes. 

15 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

I disagree. there at more port battles now than there were ever before in naval action. I'm sure that @admin can confirm that easily. since the server merge there as been 5-15 pbs a day. smaller nations simply means more targets. @Christendom the reason you have no RVR targets is because you allies with to many of them because your afraid of the big bad sweedes. 

I'm not complaining about the lack of targets.  Just simply that the amount of RVR players is spread too thin throughout the nations.  Things are fine now, but lets say 5 players from Prussia stop playing....that will hamper the Prussian RVR group and potentially restrict them from defending ports (though it sounds like they don't care).  Same goes for Poland.  Russia is better off with several larger clans.  The amount of port battles is a direct result of the lower BR requirements, which is great.  To quote the good book, “I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.”.  That's basically RVR currently.  Now if we had more players, that would be different.  We don't.

The alliance system that was proposed by rediii and myself would solve this issue with our current level of population.

We also only have 1 ally and several agreements in place that make sense.  After the flurry of PBs last week and this past weekend I'm enjoying the downtime.

Edited by Christendom

4 minutes ago, Christendom said:

I'm not complaining about the lack of targets.  Just simply that the amount of RVR players is spread too thin throughout the nations.  Things are fine now, but lets say 5 players from Prussia stop playing....that will hamper the Prussian RVR group and potentially restrict them from defending ports (though it sounds like they don't care).  Same goes for Poland. 

Poland is probably going to be going through that next week. My clan is granted, a bunch of what many of the hardcore community here would call casuals, perhaps filthy casuals if they desire to be as harsh. The thing is though we do not just want to do PvE and trade but rather enjoy all aspects of the game. Hence why we are attempting significantly to recruit clans or just individuals to join us in Poland because rather than just be stuck enjoying a limited aspect of the game we want to enjoy the entire game we payed for. Even with the numbers the entire faction of Poland has currently we have to be picky of what we attack because of our size as a nation and availability of our members. I am currently not against how PB are set up now but maybe some slight adjustments are needed to compensate the servers population is required. 

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

I'm not complaining about the lack of targets.  Just simply that the amount of RVR players is spread too thin throughout the nations.  Things are fine now, but lets say 5 players from Prussia stop playing....that will hamper the Prussian RVR group and potentially restrict them from defending ports (though it sounds like they don't care).  Same goes for Poland.  Russia is better off with several larger clans.  The amount of port battles is a direct result of the lower BR requirements, which is great.  To quote the good book, “I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.”.  That's basically RVR currently.  Now if we had more players, that would be different.  We don't.

The alliance system that was proposed by rediii and myself would solve this issue with our current level of population.

We also only have 1 ally and several agreements in place that make sense.  After the flurry of PBs last week and this past weekend I'm enjoying the downtime.

good to know you think of lord of the rings as "the good book". I think every nation right now has the players to fight in 2400 br ports. which means that we are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist yet. there are more urgent things that need to be worked on rather than some clan based alliance system. deal with this problem when it shows up. 

5 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

The fact is that with following Prussian naval successes, the nation will grow bigger and bigger. Our prestige and reputation will attract naturally more players. At first, it's going to be great because first to follow us will be good PvP players, but then, the nation will be getting overpopulated with all kind of players until the bubble will burst as the veterans and core players decide to leave due to these circumstances. 

5 hours ago, admin said:

like all empires 

Almost like I wrote about that exact thing back in June...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

You'll be okay, little buddy....   Just keep pissing straight into that wind....

It's all good dude we have all payed money for the  game we love  .we have 131 members in are clan and we all feel the same we love the game but it should have more stuff in it . this game has the potential to be a really great game and I don't call it bitching I would call it squeaky wheeling 

Edited by Captain corn blower

4 hours ago, Captain corn blower said:

It's all good dude we have all payed money for the  game we love  .we have 131 members in are clan and we all feel the same we love the game but it should have more stuff in it . this game has the potential to be a really great game and I don't call it bitching I would call it squeaky wheeling 

This is a small indie dev studio, coding is hard and takes time. Right now the devs are hard at work trying to get out the UI and tutorial so we can retain new players. More content will come, just be patient.

• Like 2

When I read this discussion here, it gives me the impression that only PvP players are playing the game and only the interests of PvP players are important. I would like to point out that there are also other groups of players. The nations in the game provide a way for me and other players to identify themselves. I like the opportunity to play a game with a historical background. For exactly the same reason, a game like "Ultimate Civil War" will be more successful and find buyers than a game called "123" against "456" because there are a lot of players who are more interested in the US Civil War than one fictitious scenario.

(sorry, Google Translator)

Edited by Dominique Youx
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dominique Youx said:

When I read this discussion here, it gives me the impression that only PvP players are playing the game and only the interests of PvP players are important. I would like to point out that there are also other groups of players. The nations in the game provide a way for me and other players to identify themselves. I like the opportunity to play a game with a historical background. For exactly the same reason, a game like "Ultimate Civil War" will be more successful and find buyers than a game called "123" against "456" because there are a lot of players who are more interested in the US Civil War than one fictitious scenario.

(sorry, Google Translator)

Even though this isn't native tongue, you make a good point. Historical nations is a big grabbing factor of this game. You can identify with real nations of the time. Having a solely clan focused game would be out of place with the historical map, with historical setting and historical ships.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Even though this isn't native tongue, you make a good point. Historical nations is a big grabbing factor of this game. You can identify with real nations of the time. Having a solely clan focused game would be out of place with the historical map, with historical setting and historical ships.

And I wouldn't mind Orcs crewing my ship, what was the argument again?

Warhammer games are selling pretty well too and it's all fiction. 

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And I wouldn't mind Orcs crewing my ship, what was the argument again?

Warhammer games are selling pretty well too and it's all fiction. 

Yes, you play warhammer in a warhammer universe. i  think many players dont like the idea if the USS Enterprise would show up and as a new faction the Ferengi Empire would be introduced.

What was the argument again?

Edited by Dominique Youx

2 minutes ago, Dominique Youx said:

Yes, you play warhammer in a warhammer universe. i  think many players dont like the idea if the USS Enterprise would show up and as a new faction the Ferengi Empire would be introduced.

What was the argument again?

And still you see how weak that point is. My job is done here.