Game-Labs Forum

Patch 14: Part 3 experimental patch increasing realism in ship behavior

admin

Lee is very intense at the brigs level, it doesn't correlate somehow and the effect is very visible when at beam, like the ship wouldn't have a keel somehow.

Was having fun in the Navy Brig testing it and definitely needs a review.

The 14 patch experimental additions enhance the sailing qualities a lot.  I like them, a wonderful progress.

What I miss most at this moment is a stepless, infinitely variable setting for the sails. Or mabe the ability to set each sail individually.

Would that be possible, and desirable here? Thanks for the work!

2 hours ago, Revenant said:

The 14 patch experimental additions enhance the sailing qualities a lot.  I like them, a wonderful progress.

What I miss most at this moment is a stepless, infinitely variable setting for the sails. Or mabe the ability to set each sail individually.

Would that be possible, and desirable here? Thanks for the work!

I think we're at about the right level of manual sailing options based on the limited amount of detailed feedback we can get from our sailing choices. There's a finite amount of "feel" we can get from how the ship is sailing. 

1 hour ago, Farrago said:

I think we're at about the right level of manual sailing options based on the limited amount of detailed feedback we can get from our sailing choices. There's a finite amount of "feel" we can get from how the ship is sailing. 

but some of the sail settings don't make a whole lot of sense (at least to the casual observer), like having staysails  furled but square sails set when sailing close hauled. Or not being able to control the spanker independently of the aft-most square yards.

On 12/30/2017 at 4:26 AM, Odol said:

Not exactly what you are trying to say?

Helicopters have several "speed" gauges.  They have a climb/decent meter, a slip angle gauge and a speedometer with different settings, for different altitudes... like AGL, TRU, and ASL. 

Helicopters would be a BAD analogy for sailing. 

Ironic that a helicopter analogy is being used.

Snow reminds me of being seated in a helicopter piloted by a student, heavy handed at the controls especially rudder causing excessive yaw/slip. 

Early days though and best of luck with the fine tuning.

@admin we should be able to raise hostility outside of the port battle timer window as set by the port holder. Assuming the holder of the port has set the window to the best time for them to defend a port, what's wrong with being able to raise the hostility outside of that time, they still get to defend in a PB at at time convenient to them? In my mind not being able to grind for hostility outside of the PB window is just reducing content for a lot of players around the world in different time zones now we have one global server. The hostility grind is tedious, its the PB people want so why not make it so the PB can happen. As said the defenders will still have the window set for the time that suits them for a PB!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaladinFX said:

@admin we should be able to raise hostility outside of the port battle timer window as set by the port holder. Assuming the holder of the port has set the window to the best time for them to defend a port, what's wrong with being able to raise the hostility outside of that time, they still get to defend in a PB at at time convenient to them? In my mind not being able to grind for hostility outside of the PB window is just reducing content for a lot of players around the world in different time zones now we have one global server. The hostility grind is tedious, its the PB people want so why not make it so the PB can happen. As said the defenders will still have the window set for the time that suits them for a PB!

no plans for that. Hostility is raised in a window set by defenders, so defenders can try to react and get it down by PVP. 

Hostility grind is not really tedious as 3 groups can set the pb in like 15 mins to 100% for any port. (in eve online you have to grind for days)

• Like 6

Thanks for finishing the new model and bringing virtual realism to the point :)

Thank you for balancing your priorities between PvP-balancing, overall gameplay and realism.

Also of course, thank you for the nice gifts! I'll give the "unicorns" a try :D

Please keep up your great work!

I have noticed that leeway is still very much in effect during boarding. On multiple occasions today, I have witnessed ships keep moving after the boarding screen has appeared. Thankfully, none of these occasions resulted in a disengagement, but a few were very close. 

If I am understanding boarding correctly, shouldn't the ships be hooked together and very hard to pull apart?

On 12/28/2017 at 4:27 PM, admin said:

speedometer does not know if it is sideforce or not 
so if your forward speed changes from -0.1 to +0.1 but you also have side force of 2 at the same time speedometer will show a change of -2.1 to 2.1 because the center mass moves both forward and to the side (0.2 forwards and 2 to the side)

so its not weird, it shows true speed of the center mass compared to its old position. Of course proper way is to then have 2 speedometers like on planes. But honestly the speed indicator should be removed for realism (real age of sail captains could only judge speed approximately and rely on visual clues, like rope with knots)

ps beached is a realistic but brutal outcome of leeway. Some captains will see it sooner than later. If you have a strong leeway ship and wind blows towards land in instance - you are a goner.

rip port battles with wind blowing into the shore. I think that the old port battles with towers combined with cap zones may be needed. we will see though with further testing. 

5 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

rip port battles with wind blowing into the shore. I think that the old port battles with towers combined with cap zones may be needed. we will see though with further testing. 

Bring smaller ships, bring mortar brigs. Have fun shooting at the guys that get beached.  Times of bringing the biggest baddest ship are over with, not to mention with the BR you don't have to stuff a bunch of 1st rates into a port battle any more you can bring other things.   Control the wind and learn how to use it is going to be even more important in battles.

21 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Bring smaller ships, bring mortar brigs. Have fun shooting at the guys that get beached.  Times of bringing the biggest baddest ship are over with, not to mention with the BR you don't have to stuff a bunch of 1st rates into a port battle any more you can bring other things.   Control the wind and learn how to use it is going to be even more important in battles.

thats a good point 

2 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

thats a good point 

We been eyeing a port I wanted to do a port battle in for ages just cause of it's location and even if our clan doesn't flip it I want to show up for that one even just to screen.  It's going to be an interesting fight if folks show up.   

We all ready been talking about what a nightmare ports like Willimgton would be on this system. I thin you where there when we took it from the US that one time?   That was without Leeway and some bad wind, just imagine it now?  I would bring more than one Mortar Brig for sure cause of every one that would get so beached.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

We been eyeing a port I wanted to do a port battle in for ages just cause of it's location and even if our clan doesn't flip it I want to show up for that one even just to screen.  It's going to be an interesting fight if folks show up.   

We all ready been talking about what a nightmare ports like Willimgton would be on this system. I thin you where there when we took it from the US that one time?   That was without Leeway and some bad wind, just imagine it now?  I would bring more than one Mortar Brig for sure cause of every one that would get so beached.  

oh yes, and the port way down south, i think its santo tome de guayana. that one as well. 

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

@Christendom and @Wraith. Isn't this expanding the tactical choices? BR, combined broadside weight, hull thickness and now wind, shore and leeway added to the considerations. I can't tell if it's all good, but it sure sounds fantastic.