Game-Labs Forum

Mega Patch 10.0

admin

7 minutes ago, Lucius Esox said:

You got a Compass on the Map so it shoud not be a problem to find a Shipwreck.

If u left the habor press "M" click on show protractor in the left upper corner and u can set a Compass by left double click on the map and with right click u can set a target.

Only thing u dont know is when will you arrive that point.

Which is still unrealistic as sailors knew exactly how long it took to get to places and roughly how long it takes at certain speeds so they could work out where they were by using Maths...now im not saying this should be in the game, as people will just make a third party app to do it for them....

In other words turn on Co - ords again, add the option for players to turn them off if they want, as its realistic that a captain knew the lon / lat his ship was roughly at, by his Nav officer using tools to work it out...

21 minutes ago, Lucius Esox said:

You got a Compass on the Map so it shoud not be a problem to find a Shipwreck.

If u left the habor press "M" click on show protractor in the left upper corner and u can set a Compass by left double click on the map and with right click u can set a target.

Only thing u dont know is when will you arrive that point.

So if you are already in the open ocean you can't use it as you do not know your current ships position. Well done.

2 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

like burningsails.com it is best when you are plotting a course from a know point, but still better than nothing, like an hour ago

It is better than nothing but absolutely useless if you are in open world and want to head for a different port or position. It is only a base line projection and does not allow for alteration due to being headed by wind.

Trader raiding is very profitable if you are good at it, or have the numbers. If you are going broke bc there are privateers making money off you trying to make easy money, do the same to them. Worry less about money early in and go out hunting.  If you go completely broke, hit some AI traders and sell the goods until you are back in business. What might reduce the number of trader raiders is removing nation to nation tp, which I would not mind, but I know a lot are against.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Trader raiding is very profitable if you are good at it, or have the numbers. If you are going broke bc there are privateers making money off you trying to make easy money, do the same to them. Worry less about money early in and go out hunting.  If you go completely broke, hit some AI traders and sell the goods until you are back in business. What might reduce the number of trader raiders is removing nation to nation tp, which I would not mind, but I know a lot are against.

Ive said since day one that no cooldown teleports will make this game a flustercluck mess that is going to see nothing but people exploiting loopholes that teleports allow.

So far ive been proven right every step of the way. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, admin said:

it was not removed. if it does not work its a bug

Thanks, I was unable to switch to my fleet ship twice yesterday. I think I F11 but will make sure to do it today if it still doesn't work.

4 hours ago, z4ys said:

Praying is the key to succes :D

Has this been proven? I thought that misleading the forums on the actual use of the Pray button was a banable offense. ;)

34 minutes ago, Serk said:

Has this been proven? I thought that misleading the forums on the actual use of the Pray button was a banable offense. ;)

It's just misleading when it is picked out of context ;-)

Damage by NPCs seems to be way stronger than player. I had 7 leaks on an LGV, no armor left on him, he takes me down to no armor and I sink immediately (I had no leaks). Another NPC had two fires, no armor and again, with 1 leak I sink immediately. Frustrating when we have to grind our way through missions again. 

I think that there are aspects of this new patch which will discourage new and casual players. The Devs have apparently decided to lean more towards realism at the expense of ease of play. That's absolutely fine but I believe that it will come at a cost. The number one objective of a game like this in a highly competitive market is to attract and hold new players. If learning the game is not made relatively easy it will tend to lose a significant number of new players who decide to go off and find something they can learn more easily. The game already suffers from a lack of guides and instructions, which is astonishing when you consider the amount of effort that has gone into its development. New players having to feel their way with very little help unless they discover You Tube which provides a lot of guidance  through contributors like Jeheil and OlavDrang but you have to spend hours watching these to work out how to play the game. It shouldn't be necessary to include third parties in the basic learning process. The game needs basic guides on sailing and fighting at least.

Given that the learning curve is already very steep I believe that the ability to hold new players will suffer as a result of the following changes.

Removal of navigational aids 

Change to combat missions so that low ranked players no longer have assistance

Removal of the Delivery and Tow functions.

I believe this latter issue also affects more casual players who play in one or two hour stints. While the seascapes are very pretty to watch with the sun rising and setting, sometimes you just don't have the time to do things the 'Real' way. While this approach may please the hard core realists in the playing community, if the game is looking for a wider customer base to increase player numbers then the Devs need to be constantly aware that this is a highly competitive market and the life blood of games like this is new players.

If however the Devs prefer a more realistic game that will attract mostly hard core players at the expense of new and casual players then that's fine, but that decision will probably have consequences in lower player numbers.

I will certainly play this game less than previously because I don't have the time to make all the long voyages necessary to trade, gather resources and move ships about. 

Edited by Hotfish
Improve clarity
  • Like 4

On 5/25/2017 at 4:46 AM, Borch said:

Okay, after playing for some time without reedeming anything i can tell you that newbies will have hard time playing against current AI.

The only ship they will be able to sink will be probably traders brig due to only stern cannons. Increased damage and better AI accuracy will kill anyone new starting the game.

I hope that AI improvements annouced will take that into account.

On 5/25/2017 at 5:16 AM, VonBarb said:

I disagree. It may seem like we're taking more damage, with weaker armor due to structure taking up a lot of the HP now, but AI seem to be LESS accurate than before, and as hopeless as ever. The basic Cutter with 4pdrs will chew through anything the first couple of missions will throw at it, and by the time newcomers have lvled out of it they'll be fine.

BTW, thanks devs for removing the annoying AI helpers in lowbie missions ;)

I tend to agree with Borch. For a new member to learn basic sailing, cannon aim, etc. It will be more difficult.  Still the best solution is a clan for help with mixing more experienced members with new ones. 

I am totally disheartened by this patch. Some awesome changes like no teleports to free ports and no map coordinates along with a lot of other good changes.

But I was very surprised when I came back and looked at the prices of cannons. I Had come back in hopes of getting a 5th rate and getting into some good PvP. I figured I would do the grind and get into a surprise with medium guns fully outfitted then make enough back to buy another set and another surprise. After getting my surprise outfitted and getting the first slot I had a nice enemy fleet gank me. Now afterwards I'm thinking to myself, this patch is supposed to make players want to PvP again? And make people want to play again? So now back in my basic cutter and I'm just pondering if it's worth it to keep playing as I am not in a large clan or zerg that can do trade runs and make millions unharmed. I personally believe cost is not associated with fun PvP, but maybe that's just me! :(

I love this game so much, but this is just a bit ridiculous. I do not have hours on end to farm gold and lose it to gankers. I guess I'll be waiting for arena.

I will forever miss the old Naval Action when PVP was easy to find and it didn't cost you 5-6 hours real life time to get a ship and cannons to do it in.     I understand there needs to be some sort of loss, but this is EXTREME...

Edited by Neptune
  • Like 4

Hi.

Feedback on the patch.

I've been gone for a good while, and thought I was going to give this game a try again. I play Pirate. A lot of good things in the game now, a lot of new things to learn and get used to, and I am feeling the game should be something inbetween what it was when it launched on steam and what it is today. Let me explain, cause there is a few things I miss.

I miss the activity we had at release with Steam. Some changes "scared" people away, and I hope we might have some of this back.

This is my personal view:

1. Teleports. I don't mind them being gone or not, but for people with minimal playtime, teleports are important.

2. NPC traders with contraband goods. Loved hunting them for materials etc like it was early in the game, but now it's almost like they don't excist anymore. Bad! Please bring them back!

3. Missions, wow.. just wow. Bring back the old mission system, but lower XP and Gold rewards on them. Same with gold for sending NPC ships to admirality! Please bring it back!

4. Capturing NPC ships. Really? Didn't Pirate capture ships? Seriously... come on.. I will throw an idea of a whole new system for Pirates out in the open here. PLEASE CONSIDER THIS IDEA!

There should be a big difference between a Pirate life and a life devoted to a Nation, and here is my idea of how it should be!

In short terms, it should be something like this.

Pirates:

- Should be allowed to capture any ship from a player, even SOLS. (captured ship get only 1 dura)

- Should be allowed to capture any NPC ship, except from SOLS. (Maybe 3rd rates). (captured ship get only 1 dura)

- Should NOT be allowed to produce any ships at all!

- Should be allowed to craft resources, materials, cannons and upgrades etc etc. (Upgrades should be retrievable and get 3 duras)

- Should be allowed to trade.

Nationals:

- Should be allowed to capture ship from a player, even SOLS. (captured ship get only 1 dura)

- Should NOT be allowed to capture any NPC ship at all!

- Should be allowed to produce ships. (produced ships get 3 duras)

- Should be allowed to craft resources, materials, cannons and upgrades etc etc. (Upgrades follow the ships dura)

- Should be allowed to trade.

This is how you make Pirates and National different from eachother. If this was balanced correctly, I think it would be a very good and fun system to play with! :)

Ofcourse, tweak it as you like with duras and how much a ship costs to produce etc etc, but THIS would be GREAT! :)

Thanks all for reading, and have a nice day!

• Like 1

Really, i lost finally the fun, no IA in La tortue for 20 mn, traders are no item in the hull...when you found traders in open sea.

And without teleport...

Ok full number of brit pvp in la navasse, but only in cutter if you will no lost all your redeem ship!

But probably it's me, i no like playing mission, i prefer hunting IA for money and exp, in open world.

But no IA in open sea...hum

40 minutes ago, n_Ka said:

Really, i lost finally the fun, no IA in La tortue for 20 mn, traders are no item in the hull...when you found traders in open sea.

And without teleport...

Ok full number of brit pvp in la navasse, but only in cutter if you will no lost all your redeem ship!

But probably it's me, i no like playing mission, i prefer hunting IA for money and exp, in open world.

But no IA in open sea...hum

IA means?

On 5/25/2017 at 6:02 AM, admin said:

the ship knowledge tree remained the same from testbed.  will post it shortly

Still hasn't been posted any chance we can get a copy of this?  I'm sure it would be helpful for the wiki too.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 3

Some notes:
1. The Ingermanland blueprint is not present in the game atm (if it will be reintroduced I think we need to review the 32 pd cannons that appear to be OP over 24 pd). Probably the Ingermanland will became the most powerfull 4th rate.
2. In pvp if I kill a basic cutter i don t get any pvp marks. If he kills me (If I am in any other 7th rank ship) he gets the marks. The basic cutter repairs for free and has crew for free, other 7th rank ships no. It does not seem fair to me!

Thanks and good work!

You have big boxes hanging off things like Hull repairs and Rigging repairs when you mouse over them, why not put some information in them on what said items do. Thanks! This goes for Permits and books. Would really be helpful,

• Like 2

Some notes (2nd)
We are testers so we need to know the gaming mechanics to verify that they work as you expected, so we would like to know:
1. How ship knowledge evolves for each ship (a grid reporting all stats would be more than welcome as soon as possible)
2. Special ships refit. Same as before, a list of advantages / disadvantages and materials and / or knowledge necessary to craft them would be welcome.
Thanks and good job again!

• Like 2