Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch with new perks and other changes.

What a nightmare - tacking is just turing into irons - no matter how fast you enter

if we cant have diesel engines - do you need power brakes?

keep in mind, tacking even in a fore and aft rigger today unless done extremely well you still loose a lot of speed, i can just imagine it being way worse with square riggers IRL

keep in mind, tacking even in a fore and aft rigger today unless done extremely well you still loose a lot of speed, i can just imagine it being way worse with square riggers IRL

My experience from a battle last night in the Santa Cecilia (note, anecdotal and not in any way, shape, or form scientific): The first several times I attempted it, typically at 5-8 knts turning from beam reach through the wind, I lost a lot of speed and ened up going .8-1.1 knts in reverse before coming out of the wind. Entering of 10 knts, my slowest speed while tacking was about 3.2 knts and I completed the maneuver quickly. The nice part was the enemy constitution and Trinc geting caught inrons due to severely damaged sails, allowing me to get double rakes off as they tacked on 3 occasions.

My experience from a battle last night in the Santa Cecilia (note, anecdotal and not in any way, shape, or form scientific): The first several times I attempted it, typically at 5-8 knts turning from beam reach through the wind, I lost a lot of speed and ened up going .8-1.1 knts in reverse before coming out of the wind. Entering of 10 knts, my slowest speed while tacking was about 3.2 knts and I completed the maneuver quickly. The nice part was the enemy constitution and Trinc geting caught inrons due to severely damaged sails, allowing me to get double rakes off as they tacked on 3 occasions.

In my buc earlier today i tacked absolutely no problem, was going maybe 8 knots as well and exited with 3 knots.

My experience mostly in Renomme - three times entered at 7, 8, 9.5 knts - ALLL three times ended up having to drive backwards to get out of irons.

Reno used to absolutely whistle through irons, coming out at 3-6 knts

Lucky for me I am a good backer upper :(

Tried out the Santa Cecilia yesterday and she seemed to tack well. No problems getting through the wind without making sternway (mostly!). But then it looks like she is a maneuverable ship. The new acceleration model may bring benefits for the slower but more maneuverable ships.

I have not tested battle combat sailing yet with this patch. But I love the way the sails now seem to flutter in the wind according to whether they would actually be filled.

Having said this I also note that people are complaining that ships will no longer tack where they did before by just getting top speed and just ramming the rudder full tilt to right or left.

I suggests again that it be made so that you can adjust the rudder by points and hold it for shallower turns.

Gradients (or points) of the compass if you will.

Rudder points are also needed to counter any sail adjustments that you still want to enable you to sail in a straight line still.

• Like 1

What a nightmare - tacking is just turing into irons - no matter how fast you enter

It was rare for square riggers to even attempt tacking, the normally would make a large circle to keep their nose out of the wind.

• Like 1

to make the fights more interesting i suggest to have a hit zone as now below the water line, where leaks and structural hull damage are created when hit, a zone between gun deck and waterline, where only hull damage might be caused and the whole section from the gun deck upwarts, where only cannon and crew damage can apppear.

This will give somehow more historical battles. I do not understand why a ship shall sink when there is no damage near the waterline. To sink a ship, the structure of the under water part must be damaged. This will certainly lead to longer battles, as the ships will be longer aswim, but surrendering makes more sense, when you are running out of crew an guns.

Together with the dev's idea of losses due to penetrating shots to the gun deck, which must be really clever balanced with hit zones and killing propabilities, we would come closer to our historical counterparts.

Sinking ships will still be possible by hitting the right places.

If a ship is hit in the rigging during repair and setting or lowering sails, crew damage shall be caused, since then sailors will be present at those places.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why you're having issues, but I tested a tack through the wind in my Bucentaure. From an angle of 45 degrees off the wind going four knots I can turn through the wind without going into reverse, or getting caught in irons, and usually emerging from the turn with about a knot of speed (which quickly rises). Might I suggest angling the sails on your foremast to have the wind "push" your bow around? I do this frequently, both when tacking and when I'm trying to come away from a close-hauled angle on the wind, and it works quite well.

Edited by Stewart Latham
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why you're having issues, but I tested a tack through the wind in my Bucentaure. From an angle of 45 degrees off the wind going four knots I can turn through the wind without going into reverse, or getting caught in irons, and usually emerging from the turn with about a knot of speed (which quickly rises). Might I suggest angling the sails on your foremast to have the wind "push" your bow around? I do this frequently, both when tacking and when I'm trying to come away from a close-hauled angle on the wind, and it works quite well.

that is exactly the way how it works.

I think i've first misunderstood the one-shot one-crew thing, i was thinking that right now, a bug is making impossible to kill more than one crew per ball, and you are making it possible to kill more than one if the ball hit multiple crew hitbox,

But in fact, you are telling us that right now in game, a ball can hit a crew hitbox, but not kill him, and that you are testing a minimum of one crew loss per ball if hit.

And that it will implies that the crew, hitted by a ball, but who was previously considered as not dead, will now be out of combat, but not necessary dead loss (injured with possible post battle recovery) 

Am i right ?

If so i think it's great.

I noticed that you spoke of one shot will equal one crew minimum dead. Several questions come to mind. One does the shot have to penetrate do do the damage. Does the aiming point you shoot at have an effect to the crew, if i shoot at the waterline to cause leaks does it kill crew; if i shoot chain at sails does it kill extra crew; how does this affect grape? If i shoot at the deck of a ship preparing to board me does this kill extra crew and does grape have an greater effect?

I must have missed the answers from the Devs. Can someone repaste them.

I must have missed the answers from the Devs. Can someone repaste them.

First post is edited and explains this point.

Eagerly waiting for the test server, this change somehow add morale management to non-boarding combat , even if on a indirect form, something that was that was really needed.

As pointed by many if we are having "morale crew losses" we may need a different recovery cost/system

Was testing it and it is really that way, but there is something ( have yet to determine ) with the sustained upwind speeds for square rigs, Surprise, Trinc, mainly. Or maybe it can be Staysails that are provoking some odd behaviour.

Was testing it and it is really that way, but there is something ( have yet to determine ) with the sustained upwind speeds for square rigs, Surprise, Trinc, mainly. Or maybe it can be Staysails that are provoking some odd behaviour.

Didn't notice that but I have no staysails mounted.

I think weight and momentum weigh more heavily on your ship's ability to slow down. So it seems like you are sailing faster against the wind than before the patch, but in reality, it's just that your ship is slowing down over a longer period than before. I think the patch affected deceleration as well as acceleration. It makes ships feel like they have some weight to them.

That is what I think is happening, anyways, and I like it, if you want to be able to stop quickly now, you actually have to use manual sails. I still laugh when someone completely drops sails in front of my ship and tries to board, and now it will be even worse if they will keep on sailing for a bit. I'm happy that the developers are still trying to tweak sailing to make it even more realistic.

Edited by ajffighter86
  • Like 1

Yes aj, I like it.

Was running all the schooners yesterday ( finally had the time ) some with staying and other with studding and something's afoot. Can hold a better turn about into wind and then tack through with the studding setup than the same manoeuvre with the staying sail. Respectively the staying sails were on a privateer and studding on a pickle.

Found out that being ironed on a Yacht is hell. Doesn't have enough push back to reverse the turn, was a *grrr* funny moment.

Well, still new dynamics so will keep playing with them and definitely worth testing properly :) great great changes.

• Like 1

I really like the fact that we now need to replace and pay for lost crew. But I think its a little bit too expensive / we lose to much crew on mission. AI is V E E E E R Y keen on raking and if you are alone vs. 4-5 ships, you will lose a lot of crew regardless of how good you are. This is all cool, but its really killing my gold at an alarming rate and Im not sure income can keep up with it.

Alone vs 4 or 5 ships and you lose crew? Hmmm.

It was rare for square riggers to even attempt tacking, the normally would make a large circle to keep their nose out of the wind.

This is very, very wrong.

It's a silly idea that emerged in the 20th Century when the square riggers were fading into the past, and the only surviving examples were steel behemoths approaching 300 feet long. Yes of course when you are almost as big as a cruise ship with a crew of 20 men, tacking is not very convenient.

• Like 2

I thought I had mastered the use of manual sails, but now, in a speed rattle, I drop from 10 knots to under 2 knots when cutting through the wind.

Maybe I'm not doing things right....approaching the wind I keep my foresail parallel and my aft sails perpendicular, to swing the rear of the ship around. This usually pushes me right through at decent speed, now I almost get stuck. Never used to drop in range of boarding speed, now I do every time

Edited by Æthlstan

I thought I had mastered the use of manual sails, but now, in a speed rattle, I drop from 10 knots to under 2 knots when cutting through the wind.

Maybe I'm not doing things right....approaching the wind I keep my foresail parallel and my aft sails perpendicular, to swing the rear of the ship around. This usually pushes me right through at decent speed, now I almost get stuck. Never used to drop in range of boarding speed, now I do every time

think of your sails  as <  >  shapes......if your tuning into the wind then you want the open ends the way you wanna go.....if you are with the wind you want the pointy bit the way you want to go....that works basically till 45 either way and then you dont really get the same kind of manual sail assistance.....

Am having same problem.  And not new to the use of Manual either.  What I'm seeing is that approaching and getting the bow through the wind is working largely as it did pre-patch...but about 10-20 degrees past the wind on new tack, the speed (along with sail/rudder authority) plummets.  Occurring across a variety of square-rigged vessels both small/fast and big/slow.

It may not be optimal in the game, but it's certainly realistic! :P

I'm not sure what you mean by parallel and perpendicular, but this doesn't sound right.

Remember, tacking is a simple process:

• Go fast at 50-60 degrees.
  • Double tap A to turn left.
  • At 10-20 degrees to the wind, double tap Z.
  • When you have a few knots of headway again, press F.

There's no real reason to mess with the fore yards, or fine-tune yard positions at all. That double-tap changeover of the main and mizzen is all you really need.

• Like 1