Game-Labs Forum
admin

Devlog: Forthcoming content patches plan

The idea of making the prime server the North American one to balance the connections warrants looking into.

But the rest of it is just your preference of playing the game and has nothing to do with testing it. The goal of one big server with the pacific being the PVE zone needs to be tested before launch. I realize you are enjoying the community you have developed in pvp2. I liked mine as well while I was there. I moved to pvp1 because it is where testing can happen in a more likely setting. When the game goes live there isn't any guarantee we would still even be able to maintain the community developed in pvp2. It's not even likely. Once the new Pirates of Carribean 5 movie comes out and if we get the launch ready by then the population should explode. Those tight knit communities on pvp2, pvp3 and even some that developed on pvp1 will all be changing anyway.

Yes. This is early access. Yes, in some small part we are indeed testing the game. however we did not pay 40 dollars to be purely testers at the complete whim and mercy, even though I do understand that things do and must change for the better or worse, the fact that I haven't spoken up till now on the forums shows you that I have had faith in the direction and changes of the developers in regards to the way the game is played. I'm not quite what sure more testing needs to be done that the 100 extra potential people, (assuming that half may quit on a merge, these numbers are going to be fuzzy, theres clearly people in PVP2 who want their shit in pvp1 and damn anyone elses opinon on that matter, and people who want to stay in PVP2 because of latency concerns or are quite happy with the community created (I have 260ms to pvp2 and you want me to be even more handicapped?, it gives the advantage to the americans a global us server of course, but, gives everyone else a more level playing field.)

If there really was the large scale testing needed, I would have assumed the most valuable data was generated when we had 1-4k players on PVP1 or whatever the number was. 

Hopefully PVP2 and PVE2 USA will be merged if there is going to be any merges and players can choose between either PVP1 and PVE2 USA or PVP1 and PVP2 USA

Yes, we are testing the game to give them feedback, but we also paid 40 USD a not so miniature sum of money for everyone and as they do not seem keen on discounting the price anytime soon (unless they are looking at the winter/summer sale) I think theres a little more leeway to be granted in regards to shutting PVP2 aswell. 

I just hope that the members of PVP2 who do not wish their server to close, opinions are as valued as the members of the server that would like to relocate all their valuables to pvp1 because that server has their preference of play. yes, playing with a larger group of people is a preferential playstyle as well if my wish to stay on pvp 2 is merely a preference~

To be honest I have a bad feeling about the 7 day cooldown ...

Will we need food now for our ships or how will it work? I know there is a thread about this but it's not clear what this actually means.

And will we get more labor hours and more possible buildings? 4 is a little bit less.

Edited by CptEdwardKenway

Sounds like a plan to me! :)

I know this plan is just roughly points on how and when things will be in the game, but I think/hope there is more to each line described in the plan.

And I am sure the devs will try and keep this plan up to schedule, but if it's needed, I sure hope they will take their time to do things right, and adjust the plan accordingly so the community knows what's going on etc.

Finally, when the release is comming, they need to be sure Naval Action is ready for a release, bugs, content, gameplay, mechanics, graphics, UI, sounds and music, etc etc etc. And that this is a game, wich keeps players playing and have different kinds of things to do in game like PVE, various missions, Port Battles, economy, trading, exploring, conquests, maybe even a story line, things that players would keep on playing to achieve, and maybe even a map-win for reset etc.

Good stuff anyways! :)

Any word on when we'll have the entirely player-run economies?

While I agree that a steady 300 ping is not that bad, it is the lag spikes that make this game, as any game, unplayable. Certainly this is not as bad as ping lag in a FPS, however, when 80% of your cannon miss because of an ill-timed lag spike, it makes for a quick death.

Had this been a cared foresight of players loss and a desire to spread population, perhaps the devs should have made the EU server be the European map and the USA server be the Caribbean map. Then people would choose which map they want to play and possibly would have had an equaled player base on both servers. Maybe this will be a thought for final release.

In some future maybe they can do that we can play on both servers in the same time (same character)...Europe map for Euro zone players and Caribbean map for USA zone players...lets say if i want to sail to Caribbean from England i will sail far west than the window will pop out -do you want to sail to Caribbean (switch server)-i will say yes... than i will spawn on far east side of that map...so we will be in disadvantage on your server and vice versa...that will be cooool

• Like 1

Most of it looks great, but PLEASE think long and hard about pvp leader boards and rewards. I will reserve judgment until there are more details, but I just feel like the potential to increase douchery far outweighs any potential fun increase.

• Like 3

So if ship cap is back for traders, I'd like to see the ability to hide the loot from these ships on an island, will that happen at all?

Huh? You can cap traders now

I am uncertain where in these words people are assuming PvP 2 would merge with PvP 1. USA is written in there and currently there are two USA servers. It is my assumption that the two USA servers would merge.

However, should both the USA servers be shut down, I would suspect many American players would quit the game until they re-open, due to massive latency issues. It is virtually unplayable for me and many others I know.

Might be base don Admin comments in teh PvP3 to PvP 1 merge thread where they told us if that went smoothly we could expect PvP2 to also be merged to PvP1   Why would they merge PvP and PVe?

I am uncertain where in these words people are assuming PvP 2 would merge with PvP 1. USA is written in there and currently there are two USA servers. It is my assumption that the two USA servers would merge.

However, should both the USA servers be shut down, I would suspect many American players would quit the game until they re-open, due to massive latency issues. It is virtually unplayable for me and many others I know.

I am a USA based player playing on the PVP1 EU server.  My ping rate to this server are usually around 120-150 range.  I cannot think of more than 1 or 2 occasions in the 3+ months that I have been playing the game where the ping rate spiked up higher than that and caused a gameplay issue.  

My ISP connection rate is averages at 75+Mb/s for both upload and download.

I can't speak for most American players but how many have had "massive latency issues" in playing on the PvP1 EU server?

• Like 3

The larger problem are people in Australia and the Pacific Rim.  Crossing two oceans causes a lot of latency.

This is the single reason I am unable to play without losing connection every 10-15 minutes so I can no longer commit to large battles or any PVP action in any way. hopefully optimization is coming at some point but I see very few opprtunities to play for me in the forseeable future with a ping at 600 unless I find a resolution. 

• Like 1

I play from Sydney Australia on the stock Aussie ISP (Telstra). I get 300 ping (used to be 400) almost all the time.

The ONLY significant time I feel disadvantaged is during the very silly boarding game...where I simply cannot get away with the last moment 'click' to 'attack'/'counter'/'defend'.

Other than that I can say in many many play hours on PvP1 EU I have had ZERO latency problems that have diminished my gameplay and I do alot of PvP

• Like 1

7 day timer on ports.   I like it.   Now ports can have huge advantages...like taking a port near Port Royal so I can hunt for 7 days....

PVP2 Merge.  I agree we should merge as there are not enough players at USA time and would balance the game more.  There should have not been a USA server in the 1st place.  I started on pvp2.

Hurrah for being brave enough to post a 'roadmap' I very much appreciate it.

Looking forward to the June release (more so to some of the later ones).

Crew hire - Read the forums on this, some parts I like (shifting ship ongoing costs to crew), not so sure as to if it will mean more 'dead time' between fun as I sail too and fro replenishing my crew. I would really like to see my crew become veterans (and thus better at stuff) and feel sad when some of them perish.

Fleets will be brought back with improvements - AI missions really helped overcome the loss of 'fleeting', I hope you can do this without stuffing up the ship crafter community.

Ship capture will be back for all vessels except for lineships - See above.

Fishing - This is my least 'looked forward to' thing...not sure why I would fish and even if it qualifies as 'naval action'. 

Basic early implementation of officers - Very much looking forward to this, the more variety 'to builds' the better.

7 day cool down on successful port captures - This on its own, will be interesting to see how it effects the ebb and flow of PvP...will it create "fronts" or will it simply reduce PvP. I think until the new 'port battle' and politics comes in, this is a bit of an odd change on its own.

Provisions/New trading resources/Several new production buildings - Looking forward to this, hope there is a sweat shop to harvest hours from :)

Double shot/double charge - Historically this was rarely/barely used, however with appropriate cooldowns this could add to the strategy of things and that could be great. So very much looking forward to trying it.

Potential USA PVP 2 merge - I think you did a great job with the previous server merge and made what could have been terrible very smooth. So well done there..and if you choose to do it, or even make server transfer a player option...well done.

One thing I don't see on the Roadmap (well one of several) that makes me furrow my brow is a rework of boarding. The Boarding game is kinda rubbish, which didnt used to mater but now with the new damage model 'boarding is the new black' and is the most important way of taking a ship out in combat....but the boarding game is not good...and is the only thing that is super 'ping' dependant...and being on 300ms...that last second 'twitch' click to switch to 'attack/counter/defend' renders me somewhat redundant in boarding. So PUHLEASE if boarding is to be a thing...make it betterer.

• 7 day cool down on successful port captures

That´s a really bad idea!

Not thought through at all in my opinion. 

This cooldown means steamrolling will be even easier. After capping enemy ports on a certain front the attackers doesn´t have to defend the new ports for 7 days and can concentrate on capping the next ports. Right now players of a nation will have to decide wether they are going to attack and have no players to defend the ports or stay defensive and don´t attack.

• Like 1

That´s a really bad idea!

Not thought through at all in my opinion. 

This cooldown means steamrolling will be even easier. After capping enemy ports on a certain front the attackers doesn´t have to defend the new ports for 7 days and can concentrate on capping the next ports. Right now players of a nation will have to decide wether they are going to attack and have no players to defend the ports or stay defensive and don´t attack.

This,

It gives a ludicrous advantage to the attackers and makes zerging to snatch as many ports as possible much more potent.

It also means that if you're on the losing side, you need to hold the front for 7 freaking days before being able to retake the initiative and push back, which means potentially having to defend each port near the frontline 7 damn times each in a row without failing, otherwise you're in for another 7 days of pain.

In fact, it doesn't even creates any sort of frontline either, since you won't be able to take the enemy ports next to yours because of this 7 days stuff, you'll have to either wait for these 7 days or strike further back into the enemy lines which will end up in a bloody mess where both side will hold ports inside the other nation territories instead of having a clean front.

In my opinion, this change is just bad unless :

1-You have to warn the defenders where/when you'll attack 1-2 days prior to the assault so they can prepare

2-This 7 days timer is activated if the port is attacked whether or not they manage to take it, so that the attackers still need to plan carefully their assault instead of just brute forcing everyday until they take it.

3-The cost for attacking a port should be much more than what we have now. The cheapest should already cost more than a Million gold. taking a port is supposed to be a national effort, not something the average joe can buy after 2 AI fleet mission.

4-Finally I find the 7 days timer to be quite long and I'm afraid it will slow the pace of the RvR too much. Something like 3-4 days would be already more reasonable in my eyes.

• Like 1

7 day cool down on successful port captures

Hmm, not sure what it means for smaller nations. What if they had most of their ports captured on one evening. Do they have to wait 7 days to capture them back, having no opportunity to gather materials, buy ships, do trading, get their lost outposts with ships ... in the meantime?

Hmm, not sure what it means for smaller nations. What if they had most of their ports captured on one evening. Do they have to wait 7 days to capture them back, having no opportunity to gather materials, buy ships, do trading, get their lost outposts with ships ... in the meantime?

I see your point.. They will hopefully just go with the talked about 3 day until the War patch.. with that it will be no big deal.. PB will take a long time to setup and cost a lot of resources.. there will be no Rool like has been done the last few months by dang never everyone

Please only talk about port battles and port battle mechanics.

Port capture

• Port conquest will be slowed down.
  • 7 day cool downs will be implemented for port captures - if you captured a port its yours for 7 days (maybe should be longer)
  • Losing or capturing a port should be a national effort. 
  • Losing or capturing a port should be a big event 

Instantly available port battles should be avoided to give defenders time to prepare: thus port battles should be announced 1-2 days in advance. This can be done either by just announcing port as a attack target (can be false) or by raiding... 

source: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/13606-war-and-port-battles-rework-moderated/

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS

The problem here is that this roadmap doesn't mention "port battle rework" but just straight out the 7 days features.

This is the kind of modifications that are supposed to be delivered in a bundle of multiples other features for it to makes sense.

What I'm afraid of is to see the devs throwing those modification one by one instead of waiting to have the whole thing done.

• Like 1

I love all the changes. Of course, I am a bit surprised not to see anything about exploration and goodies for it. For example, put in OW some isles somewhere far away with events next to it. For example, a player has stumbled upon an isle with a docked famous pirate (pirate fleet?) and upon sinking/capturing it, player gets: 

Good amount of resources/gold or xp. 

And I beg your pardon but Naval Action 2? What? Please, finish this game first. Try implement all features into it. I don't really see a point at even thinking about NA2. Makes no sense to me. No need to go like DICE/EA and do BF3,4,5,6,7,8,9. :(

I just hope 7 day cooldown won't make the game more boring... After last patch this is a serious problem and reason for people to leave (from feedback I got).

I think politics and port battle mechanism rework should be really a priority if you want to have big enough base of players by August/September...

Right now PB is the only reason people are organizing. If you make this 7 times less frequent, I can see a risk of a catastrophe...

• Like 1

I do like the introduction of fishing. Gives people something to do while they wait for labor hours to regenerate, since PvE can get pretty tedious pretty quickly.

Right now if you're level 50 you basically just log in to craft, then log out. Only 120 people on the server anyways. Not even worth going out to PvP since you won't find anyone.

I've noticed it starting to creep back up the past few days...  I saw ~825 at 1600 EST yesterday.

And plenty of PvP if you head east.  Plymouth is great fun.

I've noticed it starting to creep back up the past few days...  I saw ~825 at 1600 EST yesterday.

And plenty of PvP if you head east.  Plymouth is great fun.

This must be my PVP issue. I'm usually not home from work and online until 1800-1900 EST