Game-Labs Forum
admin

Devlog: Forthcoming content patches plan

But no one pressure for fishing, food and supplies, instead for an age of sails combat game, a proper sails and wind management seems quite significant. Moreover if food is nothing more than a new blueprint  requirement.

• Like 2

I would please ask the developers would they kindly please keep PVP2 open as long as it is feasible to do so.

To avoid dicussing which seems quite overwhelming lately: I propose to let players switch freely between servers with all their gold / xp / blueprints. At least for now, even if it's not possible in the finished product, but it makes testing much easier. If a certain server is underpopulated, you cannot do any serious PVP or RVR testing. And to deal with low tester numbers I can even imagine to have a special server "PVPmini" with a map half the size and half the number of ports we actually have on "PVP1".

When will we finally get the port battle attack warning extended to a day instead of one hour?

This whole "go to dinner, come back and your nation lost a port" thing is getting irritating now.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 1

what are your plans about the pve server?

right now it is realy dead as it has nothing else to do then solo orders or fleet orders.

Looks like Pacific coast will be PVE - So sail around to the pacific coast from the East coast and you are in PVE area, sailing this distance would take many hours so not to be easily done. Sail back around to east coast and you are PVP again on PVP1 EU server.

So effectively everything will be on the one server. At least that is what I gather and assume.

If there has to be a server merge, for some reason, why not merge PVP1 onto PVP2? Then the Aussies will not have the very bad ping & the ping shouldn't be too bad for EU players. Being from the US, I play on PVP1 only bc I started playing before early access when PVP1 was the only PVP server. Playing from the US on an EU server, I haven't had any problems.

• Like 1

Admin - Also naming ships? Will that be coming at some point? I know its not a priority.

• Like 1

real days, it's 3 days already

I know I am stupid and old but can someone remind me how the cool down works please? Does it mean a captured port cannot be attacked during the cool down or that the players in the winning fleet cannot attack another port? or what?

• Potential USA PVP 2 merge

I am uncertain where in these words people are assuming PvP 2 would merge with PvP 1. USA is written in there and currently there are two USA servers. It is my assumption that the two USA servers would merge.

However, should both the USA servers be shut down, I would suspect many American players would quit the game until they re-open, due to massive latency issues. It is virtually unplayable for me and many others I know.

there are more pressing issues requiring attention. focusing on the wind strength might face same reaction as damage model improvements.

Disappointed to read this. While I accept that it might not be a priority, for you to abandon it completely because you're worried some people might not like it is a real let down. You will always get people who are put off by change, to say that you will not improve an aspect of the game out of fear of this is sad.

I am uncertain where in these words people are assuming PvP 2 would merge with PvP 1. USA is written in there and currently there are two USA servers. It is my assumption that the two USA servers would merge.

However, should both the USA servers be shut down, I would suspect many American players would quit the game until they re-open, due to massive latency issues. It is virtually unplayable for me and many others I know.

A great many of us have said this very thing and it has fallen on deaf ears. It seems they dont care about the US players.

the duel tab in the missions screen, my friend

The only way i have been able to get that to work and be able to do a fight is after getting together people that i know in the game to do it. Which kinda defeats the point of doing it 

Disappointed to read this. While I accept that it might not be a priority, for you to abandon it completely because you're worried some people might not like it is a real let down. You will always get people who are put off by change, to say that you will not improve an aspect of the game out of fear of this is sad.

UI

Localization

Politics/Alliances/Conquest fixes and Pirates

Bugfixes

are all bigger and better priorities than wind strength.

• Like 9

UI

Localization

Bugfixes

100% Agree

As an Australian I have been playing eu1 with no problems and our ping is probably a lot worse than yours. I get around 300. This is a slow game and it does not matter so much as it would in a twitch FPS shooter. Just my observation. May not be as smooth in the open world though, but not any huge disadvantage at least with the population levels as they are now. Besides there is a more varied population and nation spread on the EU side. In the US server its all dominant US/English or spanish... iirc.

I would please ask the developers would they kindly please keep PVP2 open as long as it is feasible to do so. I will not be playing this game if PVP2 is closed and everyone is forced into PVP1, I realise and understand that there are other australians happily playing on PVP1, and if pvp combat every single night is that important to them that they had to move servers, I am glad they made the right choice for them.

I do not want to deal with more than 400ms latency which I will be forced to do so if the server merges and the server location stays in europe. If there will be 1 server it should be based in the USA, to be fairest across the entire planet, this does give a small advantage to US players but I don't think that will stop europeans or australians, whereas other parts of the world suffer from extreme latency trying to get to europe and normally have to go through the USA to get there.

I also enjoy the community spirit that has been growing in PVP2 lately, the mood has been improved for the better almost week by week, and I see more and more action (yes even with diminishing numbers), even with 1/3rd of one of the big guilds in the british faction on the server leaving for PVP1.

Clearly the best option in my opinion is to let those who want to take their toys to PVP1 to do so, and let those who want to take their toys to PVP2 to do so, but this is going to cost development time, hopefully not too much, and should be a 1 time move so people can't abuse it

The idea of making the prime server the North American one to balance the connections warrants looking into.

But the rest of it is just your preference of playing the game and has nothing to do with testing it. The goal of one big server with the pacific being the PVE zone needs to be tested before launch. I realize you are enjoying the community you have developed in pvp2. I liked mine as well while I was there. I moved to pvp1 because it is where testing can happen in a more likely setting. When the game goes live there isn't any guarantee we would still even be able to maintain the community developed in pvp2. It's not even likely. Once the new Pirates of Carribean 5 movie comes out and if we get the launch ready by then the population should explode. Those tight knit communities on pvp2, pvp3 and even some that developed on pvp1 will all be changing anyway.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 1

As an Australian I have been playing eu1 with no problems and our ping is probably a lot worse than yours. I get around 300. This is a slow game and it does not matter so much as it would in a twitch FPS shooter. Just my observation. May not be as smooth in the open world though, but not any huge disadvantage at least with the population levels as they are now. Besides there is a more varied population and nation spread on the EU side. In the US server its all dominant US/English or spanish... iirc.

While I agree that a steady 300 ping is not that bad, it is the lag spikes that make this game, as any game, unplayable. Certainly this is not as bad as ping lag in a FPS, however, when 80% of your cannon miss because of an ill-timed lag spike, it makes for a quick death.

Had this been a cared foresight of players loss and a desire to spread population, perhaps the devs should have made the EU server be the European map and the USA server be the Caribbean map. Then people would choose which map they want to play and possibly would have had an equaled player base on both servers. Maybe this will be a thought for final release.

Looks like Pacific coast will be PVE - So sail around to the pacific coast from the East coast and you are in PVE area, sailing this distance would take many hours so not to be easily done. Sail back around to east coast and you are PVP again on PVP1 EU server.

So effectively everything will be on the one server. At least that is what I gather and assume.

are you talking about that area of waters that is to the left of the map that has no ports and cant be sailed to?

• Like 1

sounds great and looking forward to officers next patch

would be nice if you share new vessels as well

and didnt expected you planing release this year already but i like it B)

UI

Localization

Bugfixes

And I already said that I accept that it is not a priority and agree that other things need to be worked on first, so not sure what your post was aiming at. The point I am making is that I hope you do not abandon the idea simply because you are afraid some people might not like it. Not the same thing at all.

there are more pressing issues requiring attention. focusing on the wind strength might face same reaction as damage model improvements.

I would not even say anything or argue about more pressing issues having priority over wind mechanics in combat, but you made a statement that you are thinking about scraping it in general, not just postponing it. Also each change you will do will be praised by some part of the community while hated by the other, so shaping it into a decent game while having a small player base will have the least backlash in the long run. You would have had a lot less of negativity with the penetration changes if it was already in place before the Steam early alpha release and people wouldn't have been used to a "Port Royal 3 combat system".

At the moment your'e just reverting back on half of the things you implemented and had plans on implementing in hopes that the player base who want a simplistic arcade game, majority of whom have left the game and gave it bad reviews, will magically take back the reviews and flock back. And at the same time your'e quite disappointing players that are still testing the game and want it to become a gem, instead of a basic, run of the mill arcade mmo, which gets forgotten in a year. -.-  

• Like 5

You would have had a lot less of negativity with the penetration changes if it was already in place before the Steam early alpha release..

Yes, I've been thinking about the same lately.. I think it all depends on how you as the creator sell or present a new thing to people. The fact that NA is a persistent open world PvP/RvR game makes people overreact very fast and become emotional as soon as changes to the game start to interfere with their ability to win or their convenience like capping npc ships for pvp cannon fodder.. You really have to think twice before you say something and how you say it or people will freak out over things which will most likely be seen as something perfectly normal later on or over things which won't even make it into the release version.. Do I make any sense? xD

For example, pointing out as a dev that changes to pirates or RvR could only be done in combination with a server wipe and that we focus because of that on other things for now, the average naval action gamer had less reason to rage quit and complain on the forum like rosebud's thread about the slow development process. It's not good enough to reply to one single post cause you've to assume that the majority of customers doesn't even know that this forum exists.. 

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS
  • Like 1

A big HUZZZAH! for the team

Sharing this long term roadmap is putting your balls on the table with thousands of eager captains equipped with sledgehammers waiting for you to go wrong :)

This is very encouraging and gives a sense of how things are going to kick in place.

Keep up the good work.

And I already said that I accept that it is not a priority and agree that other things need to be worked on first, so not sure what your post was aiming at. The point I am making is that I hope you do not abandon the idea simply because you are afraid some people might not like it. Not the same thing at all.

but other things must be done first

But we do like ideas of adding wind strength, leeway, heavy roll and pitch, the need to control the sail plan during heavy heel, sail control on the OW, and many other things :)

Some of those could be too much or too early for this iPod and might need to wait for next iteration of the game if you understand what i mean. 

• Like 4