Game-Labs Forum

Ship role, comparisons of vessels and wind strength

+1 - A definite thumbs up on this one!!

Suggestions:

1. Make current wind condition the baseline strength, ie; the lightest wind. In other words do not slow down OW travel.  Otherwise they'll be a lot of opposition to wind speed/variability.  Maybe only one level lighter wind for the small ships advantage.

2. Add damage to sails/rigging from carrying too much sail for the wind in high wind conditions (storm from Sea Trials). Smaller ships would be forced to reduce sail sooner than larger ships - reducing their speed.

3. High wind allows line ships to catch frigate yes but they cannot use lower gunports when in a leeward position due to heeling. Also increased heeling forces a ship to reduce sail to fire effectively.

4. Lighter winds it is much harder for larger ships to maneuver/tack than small ships. Also speed sailing close hauled for heavy ships would be reduced compared to lighter and fore and aft rigged ships. I have sailed in a square rigger close hauled in light winds (<=5 knts) and it is slooow.)

• Like 3

But, if I like pvp and a ship and I can't chase people, what is the point? 

Sail with friends who can tag for you? Really I feel that evening out every ship in that regard will just lead to less varied experience. Lot of tactics and interesting choices will become obsolete... 

• Like 2

Sail with friends who can tag for you? Really I feel that evening out every ship in that regard will just lead to less varied experience. Lot of tactics and interesting choices will become obsolete... 

What about solo hunters and their variety of ships? I am a lone wolf. I only have 2 ships to sail, that I don't like. Why can't I modify a frigate with chasers? I have guys to roll the guns on ship bow. They look strong and healthy and I don't hire crippled. 

• Like 1

Check weather, set up ship and go hunt.

As long as they let us have more than five ships at a time stored in port, sure.  Then I can keep around some of these smaller ships they apparently want me to sail so badly.

But with a too small limit of five, I'm probably not really going to bother with wind speed and just face up to arriving in the ship I need to do the task a little slower than before.

• Like 5

As long as they let us have more than five ships at a time stored in port, sure.  Then I can keep around some of these smaller ships they apparently want me to sail so badly.

But with a too small limit of five, I'm probably not really going to bother with wind speed and just face up to arriving in the ship I need to do the task a little slower than before.

Good point, they definitely need to add slot expansion. 

The wind changes idea is very great, i was thinking about a similar idea.

The wind strenght change will allow lot more tatics in battle. if the wind speed decrease, the battlefied will be like frozen, ships will be stuck with no/low wind, and SOL won't be able to do lot of maneuvers. overwise , light ships will keep a decent speed and maneuvrability and be able to stern camp heavy ships.

Critical damages and ship HP spread reduce will make player skills be more important and that's great!!

about chasers, something have to be done to make all ships usefull on PvP (tag system being rework or chasers on ships)

They restrict pvp ships. By adding them to all ships we open doors to new adventures. 

Here is my suggestion:

- To mount Chaser guns it takes time, 2 mins let's say. (Once moved it's permanent during battle).

- Loose 2 guns from actual Gundeck

That would be a better idea than adding chasers to all ships.

Love the idea of changing winds! Just i think it would be a bit too static.

But, I think it would be better if we could have zones with different wind speeds like faster winds in open seas and less wind speed "behind" islands  from where wind is blowing. That way if you are island hopping in smaller ship, it would be faster if you would take longer route around island than just sail in strait line. Might make sailing in OW a bit more interesting.

• Like 3

That would be a better idea than adding chasers to all ships.

IMO it would nice if its only allowed on ships that meet the following examples

-Angled ports

-Bridle ports

-Open forecastles

For smaller speedy vessels like privateer, when they close the distance with enemy ships it should add on +5 seconds for every 10 meters. I hope maybe with wind variation it can be a lot more forgiving on smaller ships, but maybe during storms it can actually damage the sails for smaller weaker ships.

Maybe even lose a mast in the storm if you're not too careful :blink:

Suggestions:

1. Make current wind condition the baseline strength, ie; the lightest wind. In other words do not slow down OW travel.  Otherwise they'll be a lot of opposition to wind speed/variability.  Maybe only one level lighter wind for the small ships advantage.

No, make current wind condition the medium strength. No need to accelerate OW speed.

PVP battle only or also PVE instances?

Both, I hope !

Daaaang. I look outside and it's snowing in April, so that means it must be Christmas?

Here is an old rough concept of mine for the windforce idea. The Medium Windforce "Fresh Breeze" panel is exactly what we have in-game ATM.

Note that the usual speed adjustment is 5-10%, and that this affect closehauled sailing much more often than downwind courses.

• Like 7

I think putting chasers or removing chasers from every ship does the opposite.

your telling me if you can put chasers on a connie anyone its going to sail any other frigate?

The current ship break down works.  Each ship has different wind angles and their strengths and weaknesses.

Honestly im not sure why we continue to mess with the combat mechanics when there are so many other aspects of the game that need dev attention more.   Combat is fine for now.   War and peace, diplomacy, port battles, conquest mechanics, resource distribution, trade, pirates, port governance, port upgrades, national projects.    All of these things need love.

Combat is workable as is.

• Like 6

hell, yeah, this is the stuff I've been waiting for! no more squishyness and wind force taken into consideration when calculating speed. In one word: AWESOME! Totally hyped now.

makes me almost forget the fact that I really dislike the diplomatic changes :P

but please don't remove chasers...rather give chasers to all ships than to remove a de-facto part of naval warfare. 

I think the idea floated about the chasers is getting a lot more attention.

The goal with chasers should be to make them less important, not make them totally equal. Chasers should slow your opponent down, not lock him in combat. Only high damage from broadsides should be able to lock ships in combat. To compensate, exit timers would be longer and dependent on closure rate.

Many, many ships successfully caught their quarry without using chase guns.

• Like 6

2. Add damage to sails/rigging from carrying too much sail for the wind in high wind conditions (storm from Sea Trials). Smaller ships would be forced to reduce sail sooner than larger ships - reducing their speed.

This would be fun to see, maybe the devs can add a warning when at full sail for new players. I'm sure they will catch on quickly that heavy winds can tear the sails.

As someone who deals with this in real life and also suggested it a while ago (wind strength), yeah, but don't wreck the game. In real life I once took 45 minutes to make the last hundred yards to the dock under sail. A battle in one kt of wind is not something I have time for, and we don't have small boats that can tow the nose around. Some boats have chasers and some don't. I love my frigate, don't use the chasers that much, but they are my chasers, and give me something to do when chasing.

And one day they may fix chain shot

All that said, Tone down the waves, lower the height or increase the period (length). The waves are big, sure, but they are not locally that big. For the wind you are sowing me in the ow and instance, cut the waves down 40 to 50%. I do love the send of the waves, beautifully rendered (but heading in the wrong direction)

Back to the subject;

wind could have some good variation and still make gameplay fun. But remember that I've got to get back to work once and a while, so not every battle can take more than two hours.

As someone who deals with this in real life and also suggested it a while ago (wind strength), yeah, but don't wreck the game. In real life I once took 45 minutes to make the last hundred yards to the dock under sail. A battle in one kt of wind is not something I have time for, and we don't have small boats that can tow the nose around.

Don't fret.

Every single time someone mentions wind on the forums, admin comes out of nowhere to say "No calms!" I'm sure we are talking about mild differences here. Enough to make Ship A faster than Ship B, but no more.