Game-Labs Forum
Ink

Tutorial feedback 2

Finished everything except the demasting exam on the first pass.  I can't hit the masts enough with single shots, but I found that 2-3 broadside rakes brought both of them down every time.  (The mast hitbox should be way smaller.)   

Maybe a tutorial on executing effective rakes? 

Things I think I remember... 

AI ships shoot their guns at bizarre angles.  Please at least nerf them to normal firing angles during the n00b tutorial! 

Is the bowsprit indestructable during the tutorials?  I tried to shear off the AI ship's bowsprit a few times in the tutorial and couldn't.

The tutorial should explain clearly how your line of sight to the wreck has to line up exactly right to get the X key prompt to loot.  When I was new I didn't know that for a month or more. 

The boarding tutorial should explain more exactly the conditions for the getting the G key prompt for boarding. 

The boarding tutorial should explain how to manage preparation points and use things like counter-attack and disengage.  Use of rum during boarding should be explained.  It should really reveal the flow chart to explain what actions/responses are effective and what aren't.  There's a opportunity here to prevent lots of the usual confusion and frustration over how boarding works. 

Final exam almost got me, but I was able to kite the second ship down from full health, when my own ship was down to less than 30% after dispatching the first enemy.  N00bs might need some prompting on how to kite and survive.  I wonder if a damage counter per broadside for both player and AI might help them gauge how effectively they're shooting relative to the AI at different distances? 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

Heres a number of things I expected to see in a tutorial that I didn't see anywhere and would, I believe, help as part of a tutorial, and most of these come from watching the help channel in game for a little while.

1)  What's the numbers underneath the guns on the ship UI, and why can't I fit 42pdrs to my snow.  (explain the way gun l;imits work)

2)  What are the wood types.   (explain the various types of wood.. pro's and cons)

3)  What are permanent mods.    (explain books, enhancements and how to fit a ship)

4)  What are perks and how do they work.    (explain options)

5)  What is the fish symbol for  (obvious to most but NOT newbies)

6)  What are buildings and how do they work.  (explain the fact that you can do things other than fight to help produce fighting fleets)

7)  The whole aspect of missions and attacking AI and why some battles close immediately and some don't.    (a lot of experianced players would like to hear this as well)

8    What are reinforcements   (explain safe zones and f8 usage)

9)  Why cant I crew my snow as a midshipman.   (explain ranks and crew numbers based on rank)

10)  What is the meaning of the colour on a ship.. the grey/green/blue/purple   (explain how ships in gam,e actually work)

11)  How do I navigate the map  (explain Open World and ports and regions and other nations)

12)  What are the symbols on the map   (Explain ports and ownership)

13)  Explain missions..  combat, patrol, fleet etc.    (explain some of the things you can do in game)

These are tutorials to bring new players into the game...    The existing tutorials (page 1) are also excellent, but I feel they miss some aspects of larger ship sailing)

The examples are well done.. no issues there as they are all pretty much easy to do, although I see no reason to time limit things like dismasting.

The exams..  endurance and final  should NOT be part of the tutorials.. they are not tutorials.. they should be a seperate section within the game of exams allowing progression to certainb ranks..  and to some extent.. it might be that because of the way they are designed that they should "require" completion before that rank is granted in game even if you have amassed the experience level for that rank seperately.

ie  just because you HAVE the exp for master and Commander.. you still cannot be given the rank until you have passed the exam..  that way..  other players in the game know that if they see M&C or higher, that they didn't just do lots of cutter missions to get it.

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Finished everything except the demasting exam on the first pass.  I can't hit the masts enough with single shots, but I found that 2-3 broadside rakes brought both of them down every time.  (The mast hitbox should be way smaller.)   

Maybe a tutorial on executing effective rakes? 

Things I think I remember... 

AI ships shoot their guns at bizarre angles.  Please at least nerf them to normal firing angles during the n00b tutorial! 

Is the bowsprit indestructable during the tutorials?  I tried to shear off the AI ship's bowsprit a few times in the tutorial and couldn't.

The tutorial should explain clearly how your line of sight to the wreck has to line up exactly right to get the X key prompt to loot.  When I was new I didn't know that for a month or more. 

The boarding tutorial should explain more exactly the conditions for the getting the G key prompt for boarding. 

The boarding tutorial should explain how to manage preparation points and use things like counter-attack and disengage.  Use of rum during boarding should be explained.  It should really reveal the flow chart to explain what actions/responses are effective and what aren't.  There's a opportunity here to prevent lots of the usual confusion and frustration over how boarding works. 

Final exam almost got me, but I was able to kite the second ship down from full health, when my own ship was down to less than 30% after dispatching the first enemy.  N00bs might need some prompting on how to kite and survive.  I wonder if a damage counter per broadside for both player and AI might help them gauge how effectively they're shooting relative to the AI at different distances? 

I got the G key and pressed it a bunch for no result.  Then it started pulling and I found that he was boarding me!  Determined defender???  Everything went fine after that though.

5 hours ago, Oberon74 said:

I got the G key and pressed it a bunch for no result.  Then it started pulling and I found that he was boarding me!  Determined defender???  Everything went fine after that though.

Actually, that was a problem I had. It wasn't really a problem, but I couldn't initiate boarding actions when we were both at a dead stop, flank on to each other and it ended up being the AI doing the boarding.

• Like 1

GL, if you want final exam to be people pass into clans you need to give that info upon inspecting player (he should be able to turn anonymous option too tho).

On 4/19/2018 at 10:12 PM, admin said:

We agree that exam is hard.
But we wanted it to be hard.
Maybe it will make feel easier for you that itt was harder initially, (cerberus vs bellona) but it failed to pass the approval as everyone in the office (including people not related to NA) had to pass the final after 1 day of practice 2 cerberuses were passed by everyone. i am very confident that everyone can do it. 

My personal feedback was only one - heel is excessive 
But this exam will be much easier once we fix our old pet peeve pointed out by @Banished Privateer - reworked depower separated from sails. And heel needs to be  slightly reduced for light frigates.

I hardly ever PVE, unless its to grind ship knowledge so I freely admit I'm terrible at it, so for me, BRAWLING DOWN the 2 cerbs was hard yes. THE PROBLEM is that completing the exam isn't hard at all - I won't do a spoiler here, but we all know there are a number of ways to complete the exam very easily. (I completed it in under 20 mins on my alt and semi-afk for most of that!). I found it unsatisfying that, provided you had the requisite knowledge of AI behaviour, it's so easy.  I think going up against the Bellona v Cerb (with slightly thicker planking perhaps) would have been better, cos I think the sailing and gunnery skill would have come into it a lot more? With the 2 cerbs the exam is hard because they seem pen from anything less than the most acute angle, even (it seemed to me anyway) at quite long range.  I didn't check but I assume the given ship has low thickness? which makes it very difficult to angle away from BOTH their broadsides and for me didn't seem to fit in with my experiences in PvP,  in particular in a ship with hardwood planking, which most people are going to be using when they get into the game.

Edited by Hullabaloo
typo

On 5/9/2018 at 5:34 AM, Lovec1990 said:

Lol im unable to complete the endurance exam second brig always gets me despite looting first one and repairing

It's kinda a pain. Boarding the first is easy enough but I guess a guy has to kite the 2nd brig. I tried it a few times and lost, lol. Rage quit. Poor noobs.

On 5/9/2018 at 11:34 AM, Lovec1990 said:

Lol im unable to complete the endurance exam second brig always gets me despite looting first one and repairing

You can run away for 20 mins and repair twice if your real bad takes time but once your fixed up come back and finish the other, its important to keep shooting the same side of the ship rather than both sides, but never sit side by side trading broad sides unless he is nearly done. Keep turning while your loading then come back in for another shot.

Edited by Fletch67
  • Like 1

Thanks for advices but i finished it with rage boarding first one then i loot it.I had brief broadside firefight with second one then i ran and repaired and returned and rage board it as well.

Final exam was alot easier i completed it in 4th try.

• Like 2

Finally got the time to try the tutorial, haven't done the exams yet, it was a hoot. Learning to use manual sails was great, never did that before, I've been wanting to practice it on the PVE server but never got around to it. VERY important skill for everyone. on the Pursuit and Capture, I've always been the prey not the attacker. I've always been fleeing not chasing. What an absolute bit of fun. Put the dog out of your room, they can smell and sense the excitement and won't leave you alone. He's about 36 kilos stands 3/4th of a meter tall and when excited won't leave you alone. Gotten me sunk more than once. 

I hope it will let me pick up where I left off because I have to take a break. I've a couple of ideas for improvement but need to hash it around in my mind first.

Fair winds and off to the real world 

• Like 2

As a new player, having only recently completed the tutorials, exams and final, I thought the difficulty was ok, but that the tutorials were ineffective at covering essential game mechanics. 

As others have noted, things like trading, outfitting ships, outposts, buildings, perks, etc... should be covered by the tutorial. 

Hopefully it will be a moot point, as I hear that the rock-paper-scissors style competition to see who has the fastest connection may be replaced with a better boarding mechanism, but the boarding tutorial covers hardly anything about boarding.

Also, when the overwhelming bulk of the content focuses on shooting, it gives a new player the impression that naval action is a shooting arcade.

I think more sailing info in the tutorial e.g. sailing profiles, shallows, storms etc... would make it seem more like sailing was a part of the game.

• Like 1

Just finished the final exam (took 2 attempts to pass) and I’ll say I enjoyed the tutorials and exams very much!!! The rewards and advancement for successful completion are very nice!!! 

I would suggest a tutorial on how to tack through the wind featuring a fore and aft rigged ship, a small square rigger (Brig) and finally a big slow top tier square rigged ship so the player can see the different and various difficulties involved. An exam featuring the top tier ship could be done...

Also, there’s no fore and aft rigged ship tutorial. They’re all brigs and Cerberus... maybe a handling tutorial for fore and aft rigged...

Maybe a map tutorial... cover the various features to see and tools.

Maybe a lineship tutorial on keeping station and following commands during PBs??? This is probably a clan responsibility.

An open world tutorial of just the basics. Sails up/sails down. Clicking to identify people and what info shown means. Navigation tool use. How to get back into port (this is asked a lot in help).

A tagging tutorial. Mechanics. Positioning. Defensive tagging.

In an earlier post I saw the admin say they originally had the Cerberus against a third rate for the final exam... please more challenges like this!!  Rewards could be extra dock slots, coupons to open new ports, new building basic materials (the stuff you need to have to open a building)

I was interested in, after half a year, playing NA again and tried the tutorial. Well what can i say its ok the demasting some said has to little time is doable. All in all its good for new player to learn the buttons and so on but we need also one for navigating and boarding more in depth.

Now to the bad part the last 2 exams the endurance is a little bit easier and with repairing (repairs from the enemy ship) in between easy done. The final exam i have no idea how to do it boarding like someone recommended is problematic because of the shit-ton mods the npc has, especially if the other one shoots you from behind (wich can be prevented) and after doing it you have almost no crew. Then the idea from admin not shure if there were to much changes in between but out of 5 or so tries iam pretty convinced that the ships try to stay together sometimes they even turn or cut sails for it also with the limited chain i see no way to shoot them to 50% besides its suicide to do it you take to much damage (maybe give us carros and a proper ship and not the fir garbage that alone looses 5+ crew whenever it gets hit while it starts burning). 

In the end i think it can be done i just didnt find the right way to do it. And i will never and the reason for that is it is as fun as diarrhea! With 20 min crew refill timer and 10 min repair its a real endurance test and you can ask yourself will you shoot yourself in the head before the timer is done or not. Its just a waste of time, then better let us beat 1 cerb and one brig or something without repairs. All in all a one 1 dura ship is not worth it!

And if you are a new guy and experience this maybe are good enought to do it then sail out and get ganked iam pretty shure you will ragequit. And the whole "we dont want everyone" well then you should develop mechanics for a 200 people playerbase because i dont think there are a lot more hardcore age of sail fans out there.

Sorry if this sounds angry or something iam really not just wrote what i was thinking. BTW. its funny how your never played office noobs are better then so many well known veteran players. ;)

Stoll think the last two exams are too hard. The final exam would be fine if fighting even ships but double shot means boarding the best option. Same mechanic as endurance exam