Game-Labs Forum

Alpha-9 News Update

Nick Thomadis

Hello Admirals,

We would like to share news about the progress we have so far and the status of the upcoming update.

The team’s reorganization is working great and we are very happy with the results. These last 2 months we have touched upon all major aspects of the game with the new lead programmer (from formations to AI to ship designer) - and finally we can say - now the new team is more than ready to continue with the development of the campaign. We plan to add extra resources in November, which will help us to speed up the development even further.

Regarding the patch, in addition to all the features we mentioned in our previous blog and in our forum, including the new quad guns… we are also preparing the following.

screen_1920x1080_2020-10-16_17-48-39.png

A variant ship based on the "Richelieu" hull

New Hulls
“Battleship Richelieu” is the new addition in the game’s database of realistic hulls. The new hull and its assets can produce the following new ship variants:
  • A French Modern Battleship of 45,000 to 65,000 tons, which can faithfully recreate the historical Battleship "Richelieu".
  • A French Super Battleship with displacement between 70,000 to 85,000 tons.
  • A French Battlecruiser with displacement between 35,000 to 45,000 tons, inspired by the Battleship “Dunkerque”.
  • A French Large Cruiser of 28,000 to 32,500 tons.
  • A French Heavy Cruiser of 12,000 to 14,900 tons.
Furthermore, various new assets and guns became available to several other hulls.

New guns
  • 19-inch and 20-inch guns: You are now able to design ships with powerful armament, which was never actually implemented on any warship, but was used in various planned designs. These guns will be available only on specific large hulls, such as those of the super battleships. Designing ships with so large guns should be a challenge due to their extreme weight that could be used for increasing ship protection and speed.
  • New British/French Guns: New special looking late-tech guns are available for Britain and France.

Balances
A few balances were made based on the player feedback we received in our last patch.
  • Accuracy balance: Maneuverable ships, such as Destroyers, will be harder to hit, so they will be more comfortable to control them at a safe distance. Average Accuracy is less at long range but will be significantly higher at very short ranges, creating more decisive engagements when ships approach very near to each other.
  • Triple and Quad Guns are distinctively heavier: Making ships with many heavy guns will need more trade offs. This was especially needed now, that we added quad guns and the huge guns of 19-inch and 20-inch caliber.
  • More resilient Destroyers and Torpedo Boats: The hull damage that DD and TB can receive is increased, so they are not so rapidly destroyed in gun fights.

New Missions
  • Conflict in the Tsushima strait: A battle that resembles the historical battle of Tsushima featuring large fleets for both sides. You take the side of the Japanese fleet vs a large Russian fleet composed by many but rather outdated battleships. Will you reinforce your fleet with advanced battleships or will you invest on numerous fast cruisers, in order to defeat the stronger -in numbers- enemy?
  • German wrath at North Sea: It is 1913 and the powerful British fleet amasses near the vicinity of the German ports at North Sea. As the British are divided into two groups, you decide to attack and gain a temporary territorial advantage. You will have to choose whether to build Battleships, Battlecruisers or Heavy Cruisers to reinforce your attacking fleet, utilizing a rather limited budget. The British fleet is superior but your own forces can triumph via better tactics and by investing in the most suitable technologies.
  • Prevail in the Mediterranean: It is 1941, near the cape Matapan, south of Greece, where a British and an Italian fleet prepare to fight each other. You are in command of the Italian fleet and you must defeat the enemy without taking heavy losses. Your fleet of cruisers and destroyers can be reinforced either by a few strong battleships, or multiple cruisers of various types, that you will design.
  • France vs Germany: Create a successful striking force made of French modern ships of the 1940s and defeat a strong German fleet which has as a flagship a humongous super battleship of the H-class.

Other
Lastly, we have fixed various errors and inconsistencies, related with the Auto-Design system. Hulls created by the AI should be effective and good looking, with consistency. The patch is still under development, but close to completion. We will notify you when it is about to be released.

Thank you for reading,

The Game-Labs Team
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 20

21 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

and finally we can say - now the new team is more than ready to continue with the development of the campaign. We plan to add extra resources in November, which will help us to speed up the development even further.

After reading this I would like to ask. Does that mean that the campaing will be part of the next update (Alpha-10)?

Anyway, thanks for finally giving us some informations.

As Barney said - I didn't expect such a big update.

Edited by Aceituna
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:
Balances
A few balances were made based on the player feedback we received in our last patch.
  • Accuracy balance: Maneuverable ships, such as Destroyers, will be harder to hit, so they will be more comfortable to control them at a safe distance. Average Accuracy is less at long range but will be significantly higher at very short ranges, creating more decisive engagements when ships approach very near to each other.
  • More resilient Destroyers and Torpedo Boats: The hull damage that DD and TB can receive is increased, so they are not so rapidly destroyed in gun fights.

Thanks for the update Nick! 

Accuracy balance: I am curious as to exactly how the balance is going to work for accuracy. Does this mean if the ship is actually maneuvering (i.e. not sailing in a straight line) it will be harder to hit or is this some kind of flat bonus based on the handling of metrics of the said ship.

More resilient Destroyers and Torpedo Boats: More resilient to what calibers exactly? There should be nothing that makes them more resilient to battleship calibers (unless someone is shooting AP at them like the Japanese at the Battle of Samar) , but smaller ones I could possibly see.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, madham82 said:

Thanks for the update Nick! 

Accuracy balance: I am curious as to exactly how the balance is going to work for accuracy. Does this mean if the ship is actually maneuvering (i.e. not sailing in a straight line) it will be harder to hit or is this some kind of flat bonus based on the handling of metrics of the said ship.

More resilient Destroyers and Torpedo Boats: More resilient to what calibers exactly? There should be nothing that makes them more resilient to battleship calibers (unless someone is shooting AP at them like the Japanese at the Battle of Samar) , but smaller ones I could possibly see.  

Constant modifiers in relation to maneuvering are not changing. You will not see a bigger penalty due to speed, for example. Only the aspects that are utilizing target "bearing" and "range rate" will become more dynamic. So, for example, ships that are at large distance and move fast, will create bigger penalties to aim locking due to bearing change caused by degree difference between each aiming shot. Or ships that approach or increase distance with high speed, will cause more penalties to aiming procedure.

As for the Destroyers and Torpedo Boats, they will still be as vulnerable as history demands. Of course big guns are going to tear them apart.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Triple and Quad Guns are distinctively heavier: Making ships with many heavy guns will need more trade offs. This was especially needed now, that we added quad guns and the huge guns of 19-inch and 20-inch caliber.

I hope that the weight increase isn't by too much, as the primary historical advantages of the concentration of the armament was that it didn't weigh as much as something like four or five twin turrets, since one could shorten the length of the armoured citadel drastically.

• Like 6

Just now, Shiki said:

I hope that the weight increase isn't by too much, as the primary historical advantages of the concentration of the armament was that it didn't weigh as much as something like four or five twin turrets, since one could shorten the length of the armoured citadel drastically.

It should be fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shiki said:

Well, we have Yamato, Iowa/South Dakota/North Carolina, Bismarck, and now Richelieu... that leaves just King George V, Sovetskii Soyuz, and Littorio for our cadre of modern battleships.

And Vanguard. Don't forget The Last Battleship.

Also, sounds to me that the update is close to release

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

@HusariuS@Koogus@Marshall99@IronKaputt@1MajorKoenig@Shiki@Aceituna@Shaftoe@Gangut@Skyguy1944@Airzerg

Yes! Some news! Glad too see everything is going well as well. The new french hulls are very welcome indeed, wasn't expecting a patch this big either as well.

Can't bloody wait now lol.

Ouch you forgot about me this time....................

Also in other news can't wait! Thanks for the update @Nick Thomadis!

Edited by TotalRampage
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

@HusariuS@Koogus@Marshall99@IronKaputt@1MajorKoenig@Shiki@Aceituna@Shaftoe@Gangut@Skyguy1944@Airzerg

Yes! Some news! Glad too see everything is going well as well. The new french hulls are very welcome indeed, wasn't expecting a patch this big either as well.

Can't bloody wait now lol.

Someone is missing here....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CapnAvont1015 said:

A French Modern Battleship of 45,000 to 65,000 tons, which can faithfully recreate the historical Battleship Richelieu.

French BB Alsace your in my sights, soon you'll be MINE.

FAN Alsace BB

That's only if we're able to place guns on the rear, which it doesn't look like we'll be able to. Judging from the way it was presented, if we had been offered an Alsace-type hull as well, it would have been shown off along with the all-forward Richelieu model.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Shiki said:

That's only if we're able to place guns on the rear, which it doesn't look like we'll be able to. Judging from the way it was presented, if we had been offered an Alsace-type hull as well, it would have been shown off along with the all-forward Richelieu model.

Hopefully extending the displacement doesn't screw up the design to much. I don't want to deal with another US BB type hull.

• Like 2