Game-Labs Forum

Sea Legends Q&A

admin

Cheers the "Sea Legends" announce
Have question:
1.Which game-engine Is the fresh new game under development? still the Unity one?
2.The player who's from "Naval action" already bought the ships DLC, then available in  "Sea Legends" or DLC discount?

thanks

Edited by as24862486

On the site I can read: 'mediterranean with its countries' does this include smaller states like the knights of Malta/Rhodes? 

In the broader picture my question would be; what nation will be present in the game and what timeframe will the game take? 

Edited by ScipioTortuga

On 2/6/2020 at 12:11 PM, ScipioTortuga said:

On the site I can read: 'mediterranean with its countries' does this include smaller states like the knights of Malta/Rhodes? 

In the broader picture my question would be; what nation will be present in the game and what timeframe will the game take? 

Captain will be able to raise any flag available in the area (with consequences if found to be sailing under false flag)
Nations are undefined at this stage. Early version of the game will focus on Early 18th century smuggling and privateering.

• Like 8

On 2/4/2020 at 12:22 PM, as24862486 said:

Cheers the "Sea Legends" announce
Have question:
1.Which game-engine Is the fresh new game under development? still the Unity one?
2.The player who's from "Naval action" already bought the ships DLC, then available in  "Sea Legends" or DLC discount?

thanks

No information on this - but good idea.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 12:44 AM, admin said:

• Adapted realtime.
  • Day will be 24 hours, will pass faster according to industry standards (like in KCD or similar games)
  • Time will speed up when you sleep in your Captains cabin if you are at sea

This all sounds amazing, but I am concerned about the “industry standard” day / night cycle.  Haven’t played KCD (damn, keep meaning to pick that up), so I don’t have that reference point, but consider that the passage of time and visibility were central to 18-19th sailing.  One of the iconic age of sail encounters would be the chase into dusk, trying to reach a prize before the sun sets and your quarry disappears into the gloom (and probably changes course so you have to guess his intent).  That is all undermined if 1.) transition to / from day to night and back is just a quick visual event and 2.) if visual conditions do not radically alter during transition.  It would seem that a “captain’s cabin” time compression mechanic would make fake day / night cycles unnecessary.

Likewise, consider that day and night cycles (and even moon cycles!) are essential to smuggling and need to at least conform to the scale of the world to be used in a meaningful way.

One of the big disappointments  of NA was never getting to enjoy a battle at sunset.  You’d blink and it would be over.

Also, will weather be local or global?  Would there be the possibility of escaping into a fog bank or a rain squall in the distance?

Edited by akd
  • Like 7

End  of the year, I guess. on the website it is stated that players are for a refund in case there is no (playable?) demo until December 2020.

This:  No Risk to Preorder- fully refundable if no demo is provided by Dec 2020.

Edited by Suppenkelle
inserted quote
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@admin Imo it would be nice to ad a career as naval officer.

This could contain accomplishing small tasks at the beginning as a midshipman, like commanding a small group of men at an amphibious operation, and lead to the command of a - or even multiple? - ship of the line.

What do you think of it?

Is it planned as a dlc or not yet thought of?

Edit: @admin???

Edited by Navalus Magnus
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Admin 

Congratulations for this project, it sounds very exciting ! SL seems to offer what many of us have long been waiting for (see former suggestions for a NA "History" solo player server ;-): 

Some questions :

1. Will identification of strange ship as friend or foe will be part of the gameplay (excellent idea to allow for deception through foreign flags use ! what about the use of private signals ?) ? 

2.Will the captains have to rely on available intelligence (from admiralty, local merchant boats, spies,...) to search for the enemy ? 

3. Will period communication between ships be also simulated through signalling, hailing, captains meetings, etc ?

4. Will the experience of the crew have an impact on sailing and fighting performances ?  

5. Will the ship management aspects be included (water/food stocks, stores, ammunition, spare,...) ?

6. Will the damage model be (even) more realistic than in NA (currently subject to fps limitations I guess) ? (impact of falling masts, yards and rig damage on roll, speed and manoeuvrability, etc.) 

7. When will it be possible to pre-order the game ? I can't find any link on SL website

Can' wait to see the first screenshots of the captain's cabin !

• Like 3

Hi again

1. On SL website, what are "Nemesis systems for NPCs" ?

2. "Karma systems" ?  

3. "deepest stress based damage systems" ?

4. Will officers and crew members be individualized characters (with a name, own career and experience, etc) ? 

5. How will fight the crew ? Will boarding be simulated (in a more visual way than in NA ;-)) ?

Edited by Bonden
(new questions ;-))
  • Like 2

On 2/29/2020 at 8:02 PM, Bonden said:

Hi again

1. On SL website, what are "Nemesis systems for NPCs" ?

2. "Karma systems" ?  

3. "deepest stress based damage systems" ?

4. Will officers and crew members be individualized characters (with a name, own career and experience, etc) ? 

5. How will fight the crew ? Will boarding be simulated (in a more visual way than in NA ;-)) ?

1) If you played shadow of mordor you know immediately. If you have not  - NPC who sink players will level up and get stronger, and stronger and get more followers and crew. Etc. 
2) Standard karma systems - do a bad thing and world will remember
3) Sailing and damage induces stress on the masts and hull which deteriorate over time. 
4) Officers yes. Crew will probably not. Not sure knowing names of everyone on a 400 men frigate is important. We do not know yet
5) Boarding will be from top down view. You will control divisions and platoons of the boarding party.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 2/29/2020 at 1:14 PM, Bonden said:

1. Will identification of strange ship as friend or foe will be part of the gameplay (excellent idea to allow for deception through foreign flags use ! what about the use of private signals ?) ? 

2.Will the captains have to rely on available intelligence (from admiralty, local merchant boats, spies,...) to search for the enemy ? 

3. Will period communication between ships be also simulated through signalling, hailing, captains meetings, etc ?

4. Will the experience of the crew have an impact on sailing and fighting performances ?  

5. Will the ship management aspects be included (water/food stocks, stores, ammunition, spare,...) ?

6. Will the damage model be (even) more realistic than in NA (currently subject to fps limitations I guess) ? (impact of falling masts, yards and rig damage on roll, speed and manoeuvrability, etc.) 

7. When will it be possible to pre-order the game ? I can't find any link on SL website

Can' wait to see the first screenshots of the captain's cabin !

1. Deception will be possible but enemies could see through deception as well. Especially if they seen your ship before and or know about you from witnesses. 
2. Yes.  There definitely will be communication, logs and intelligence showing known routes or last known locations. 
3. Depends on waste of time this features generate. If they generate too much waste on 3-4th try they should be abandoned or allowed to be skipped. (For example waiting for 1 hour for a boat to arrive is nice 1st time, and will be annoying on 100rd time)
4. Yes. Crew will have skills, strength, morale, fatigue and experience levels in a variety of ship activities. 
5. Yes. Not only that. You will have to place them properly to avoid excess heel or pitch
6. Naval Action systems are top class, but we will try to improve them even more by adding elements like stress, deterioration over time, or rig entanglement
7. Not sure yet. Soon. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hum some more questions, if I may...

1. Wil be there functional boat / launch/pinnace, etc. in the game (eg for cutting out expeditions) ? 

2. Uniforms (officers) /clothes (seamen) of the period (according to nation) ?

3. Will we see seamen climb on shrouds, pull on ropes, fire guns and muskets, etc. ?

4.  Will SL include historical ports (Marseille, Portsmouth, Valetta, etc.) ?

5. Will missions be generated by a mission editor or ready to play ?

Whatever the level of simu, SL sounds so exciting !

• Like 1

And: 

1. in addition to waves, will there be swell, increasing roll (and thus inaccuracy of fire, like in Trafalgar) ? 

2. aside ship's fame, will the captains gain fame from daring actions and victories, boosting morale and loyalty of their crew ?

3. will SL simulate the curvature of the earth ('sinking' the hull of distant ships) ?

• Like 1

Just read about the payment model for this single player game. I must say I would rather pay a set DLC fee for things rather than subscription. But if the in game currency is easy enough to maintain for things then I don't mind. 

• Like 1

Hi Admin

I have recently discovered Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail (for sure I will buy it). Will SL borrow elements of gameplay from UA or be connected to it in any way (eg UI, narrative, officers characters, etc ?) ? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This sounds promising. Like every good suggestion ever for NA in one game.

I hope your team can deliver, because the level of detail and ambition here is on par with Star Citizen.

That's not a meant to be negative. It sounds like you're promising THE experience as to an experience.

I guess my question, is this in an FPS/3PS when dealing with combat? Such as musketry or sword play. I imagine you play as the captain, but not limited to.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1