Game-Labs Forum

Sea Legends Q&A

admin

Question 1: The pre-order page on the website doesn't show a place to pre-order. When and where will we be able to pre-order, & when will this be available to play?

Question 2: How much do you expect this game to cost?

Question 3: Will the game be so much of a simulation that real life knowledge of how ships work will help?

Question 4: Exactly how simulationy will this be? I personally LOVE extremely stimulationy games and this sounds like that so I have my hopes up.

Question 5: Will there be a way to negotiate with someone you are attacking or who is attacking you to surrender, or give x thing and we will leave, etc?

Question 6: Will there be sneaky things to do? Like cutting-out expeditions like waiting till dark and bringing a boarding party in the ship's boats, cutting the enemies cables, securing the deck and taking it out to sea? That type of thing.

Question 7: Will there be an option to have a second ship also doing whatever job your career is? 

Question 8: It was said something about paid DLC to access the different careers, or paid subscription, or use of in-game currency? I would hope the DLC doesn't cost much because I am poor :) and I think subscriptions are bad, so I think that it should be a one time payment. And I have no idea how this in-game currency to buy stuff for the game works, maybe I completely missed the point, can you elaborate?

Question 9: When can we see some gameplay of this? As I understand it it is still in really early development.

Question 10: For the pirate career, do you always start as the captain? Or will you be able to just start as a crewman and work your way up?

Question 11: Will there be deaths on-board by accidents, disease, and all other ways? Or will deaths be just from action?

Question 12: What will recruiting men be like? And will it be hard to keep your crew capacity full? As I understand it was fairly difficult to keep a ship up to full compliment of men, because of the sporadic nature of recruitment/impressment, as well as day to day accidents. 

Question 13: Will you be able to disguise/alter your ship? Such as painting or cutting on fake gunports to deter attackers from attacking your merchant ship for example.

Question 14: Will you be modeling crew casualties realistically? I feel that in most games crew dies waayyyy too slowly. Like when you are being shot at by grape and ball there is a lot of splintering going on, and I would hope to see the true destruction going on below deck. 

Question 15: Will grape be effective without destroying the enemies' hull first? It always bugged me how in NA grape is useless until you shoot down the enemy hull to 1/3 health. In real life I believe that grape would have been effective alone. The exposed crew on the upper deck would have been swept off their feet, and down below there would have been a great deal of splintering, plus whatever grape got through.

Question 16: How will ammo be? Will we be able to load ball & grape or ball & chain, etc. on one side or even in one cannon? Or will we be stuck with the traditional in games which is 1 type of ammo for each side.

This sounds like an AMAZING game and one that I would totally buy! Great job!

Edited by Ruuster_IV
Added some questions. AGAIN!! ;)
  • Like 3

Hi, how or when we can pre-order one of the these limited editions.

Of course, there a high risk, and I have some dudes about if all can be done in game (that will be great, but I don't sure about if all things can be done). But anyway, I believe that try need support or my part.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hello Admin,

I hope you are safe from covid-19. 

Some more questions:

- How will be simulated the interaction between the captain, his officers and his crew ? 

- In Kingdom Come Deliverance (realistic medieval RPG),  the player has to take many quite trivial/basic decisions (like eating and sleeping to keep strength) and fighting is like in a FPS : will this kind of detail simulated in S-L (I am not sure it is necessary in my opinion) ? 

- Will the career begin early in the life of the character (as a midshipman for example) or directly as a captain ? 

- What will be the common elements with Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail ?

Best regards,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1. As regards the smuggler career, will SL include the (quite complex) aspect of landing of the cargo ?

The nice website "Smuggling.co.uk" (a synthesis from an interesting history book) gives detailed clues on this topic (http://www.smuggling.co.uk/history_landfall.html). 

2. In this regards, will SL simulate night navigation, including if possible tides and moon cycles (very important factors for smugglers) as well as precise coastal waters and rocky shores ? Will there be interaction between the smuggler's crew, the 'spotsman' (in charge of guiding the ship to a safe landing site) and the contraband party on shore (often dozens or even hundreds of men and some horses for carrying goods inland) ?

3. Will SL simulate the impact of bad reputation of smuggler on the  quite weak morale of Revenue cruisers (which were quite afraid by the smugglers) ? In the e-book on King's cutters and smugglers 1700 - 1855 (see references in suggestions), many (historical) encounters finished by a prudent retreat of the Revenue cruiser… (one reason was that crew refused to fight because no financial compensation was provided in case of injury/loss of limb until very late). 

Good luck with this project, it is very promising !

Edited by Bonden
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonden said:

2. In this regards, will SL simulate night navigation, including if possible tides and moon cycles (very important factors for smugglers) as well as precise coastal waters and rocky shores ? Will there be interaction between the smuggler's crew, the 'spotsman' (in charge of guiding the ship to a safe landing site) and the contraband party on shore (often dozens or even hundreds of men and some horses for carrying goods inland) ?

This may be too detailed for the average gamer, but would be facinating and enriching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2020 at 5:42 PM, Bonden said:

1. As regards the smuggler career, will SL include the (quite complex) aspect of landing of the cargo ?

The nice website "Smuggling.co.uk" (a synthesis from an interesting history book) gives detailed clues on this topic (http://www.smuggling.co.uk/history_landfall.html). 

3. Will SL simulate the impact of bad reputation of smuggler on the  quite weak morale of Revenue cruisers (which were quite afraid by the smugglers) ? In the e-book on King's cutters and smugglers 1700 - 1855 (see references in suggestions), many (historical) encounters finished by a prudent retreat of the Revenue cruiser… (one reason was that crew refused to fight because no financial compensation was provided in case of injury/loss of limb until very late). 

Good luck with this project, it is very promising !

1. Landing cargo box by box will not be simulated. You are the captain not the head of the shore pick up party. But cargo itself will have dimensions and weight and could drastically affect the sailing performance of the ship.
2. Too many questions in one questions. 
3. Morale will have a serious role in the game and will depend on multitude of factors. Some ship might surrender after one shot across the bow, especially if they know who you are.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 7:42 PM, Bonden said:

- How will be simulated the interaction between the captain, his officers and his crew ? 

- In Kingdom Come Deliverance (realistic medieval RPG),  the player has to take many quite trivial/basic decisions (like eating and sleeping to keep strength) and fighting is like in a FPS : will this kind of detail simulated in S-L (I am not sure it is necessary in my opinion) ? 

- Will the career begin early in the life of the character (as a midshipman for example) or directly as a captain ? 

- What will be the common elements with Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail ?

• Officers and crew will be integral part of the game. With relationships, languages, fatigue, morale, skills, age, injury types and recovery times. 
  • Crew, Officers will definitely have to sleep and will have watches. If you tire them too much they might revolt and maroon you or kill you (if they can). The player will sleep too
  • The player will start as a captain. Experiences like you described will only be considered if they are interesting enough during one evening session. 
  • No

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2020 at 1:25 AM, Timberjac said:

Hi, how or when we can pre-order one of the these limited editions.

Of course, there a high risk, and I have some dudes about if all can be done in game (that will be great, but I don't sure about if all things can be done). But anyway, I believe that try need support or my part.

Thanks.

some day this year. Thanks for the kind offer!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 10:36 PM, Ruuster_IV said:

Question 1: The pre-order page on the website doesn't show a place to pre-order. When and where will we be able to pre-order, & when will this be available to play?

Question 2: How much do you expect this game to cost?

Question 3: Will the game be so much of a simulation that real life knowledge of how ships work will help?

Question 4: Exactly how simulationy will this be? I personally LOVE extremely stimulationy games and this sounds like that so I have my hopes up.

Question 5: Will there be a way to negotiate with someone you are attacking or who is attacking you to surrender, or give x thing and we will leave, etc?

Question 6: Will there be sneaky things to do? Like cutting-out expeditions like waiting till dark and bringing a boarding party in the ship's boats, cutting the enemies cables, securing the deck and taking it out to sea? That type of thing.

Question 7: Will there be an option to have a second ship also doing whatever job your career is? 

Question 8: It was said something about paid DLC to access the different careers, or paid subscription, or use of in-game currency? I would hope the DLC doesn't cost much because I am poor :) and I think subscriptions are bad, so I think that it should be a one time payment. And I have no idea how this in-game currency to buy stuff for the game works, maybe I completely missed the point, can you elaborate?

Question 9: When can we see some gameplay of this? As I understand it it is still in really early development.

Question 10: For the pirate career, do you always start as the captain? Or will you be able to just start as a crewman and work your way up?

Question 11: Will there be deaths on-board by accidents, disease, and all other ways? Or will deaths be just from action?

Question 12: What will recruiting men be like? And will it be hard to keep your crew capacity full? As I understand it was fairly difficult to keep a ship up to full compliment of men, because of the sporadic nature of recruitment/impressment, as well as day to day accidents. 

Question 13: Will you be able to disguise/alter your ship? Such as painting or cutting on fake gunports to deter attackers from attacking your merchant ship for example.

Question 14: Will you be modeling crew casualties realistically? I feel that in most games crew dies waayyyy too slowly. Like when you are being shot at by grape and ball there is a lot of splintering going on, and I would hope to see the true destruction going on below deck. 

Question 15: Will grape be effective without destroying the enemies' hull first? It always bugged me how in NA grape is useless until you shoot down the enemy hull to 1/3 health. In real life I believe that grape would have been effective alone. The exposed crew on the upper deck would have been swept off their feet, and down below there would have been a great deal of splintering, plus whatever grape got through.

Question 16: How will ammo be? Will we be able to load ball & grape or ball & chain, etc. on one side or even in one cannon? Or will we be stuck with the traditional in games which is 1 type of ammo for each side.

This sounds like an AMAZING game and one that I would totally buy! Great job!

• There will be a pre-order site
  • Price is unknown
  • The game will be a practical sim, allowing the player to decide which parts he wants to experience to the fullest or delegate one to the AI. 
  • The game will simulate all important parts of sailing, combat, crew management and decision making that a Captain of the 18th century ship
  • The game will mostly be a single player game especially at the first stages. Multiplayer (when it happens) will revolve around you and the world will stop when you logoff. You will be able to negotiate with NPCs
  • Sneaking and stealing the ship under dark could be possible; but of course not without risk as if you tire your people with too much rowing you might not be able to secure the ship
  • Second ship will be possible. Pick the best officers, transfer crew and provisions - and here we go, you have a second ship. (Which might disappear at night if the captain you assigned secretly wanted a solo career
  • Pricing has not been decided yet
  • We will show something when its ready. We will talk about features earlier. 
  • Working your way up as a crewman is not part of this game
  • Death will come from everything even drinking water, managing crew and losses and casualties (including from non combat injuries) will be part of the game
  • Hiring will depend on pay, your reputation and availability of sailors.
  • Not planned
  • Crew loss will consist of deaths, heavy injuries and light injuries. If a sailor is wounded he is out of the action anyway. Each injury has its own recovery rate and can get better or worse depending on food and ship surgeons. 
  • Grape will work properly giving proper results only if you shoot guns into massed groups of people at close range. 
  • Sea Legend will be without UI and all/most commands will be done visually or through order book.The desire of gun per gun difference in ammunition is only viable for small ships with limited guns. On large ships in the heat of the battle guns were probably loaded with unified ammo according to training and if changed - changed universally as we don't see how a captain of the 1st rate could send 15-52 specific commands to load each gun with different loadout. Even if they sent 4 boys to each deck to tell new loadouts to gunnery sergeant, it would take too long to convey this command, than to continue loading ammo based on training routines. 
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hello Admin, 

Thanks for all your answers and the good news (I like the possibility to delegate to the AI and testing the different commands) !

Some more questions :

1. Will the captain have to enforce discipline in the game and decide punishment, including flogging or even death in case of mutiny (with negative repercussions on ship's morale and mutiny risks in case of unfair/excessive punishment) ? 

2. Will be night navigation possible ? 

3. Will the use of compass, depths charts and probing lead lines (for coastal navigation) and (simplified/automatized) navigation instruments (for open sea) be included (even if taken in charge by AI) ?  

4. How will be organized the watch system (will someone hit the bell to signal the progress of the watch ;-)) ? By the captain ? 

5. What types of ships will be represented in the game ? Will the 12-gun 'privateer' from NA be available ? 

Edited by Bonden
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Admin! Love this game and the concept been following it for a while, my questions are more about the scope of the game world:

1) As captain, will we be able to walk around our ship in full 1st or 3rd person? (Inspect, catch lazy crew, interact with main npcs or crew?)

2) If there is a mutiny or shipwreck at sea how does this play out in the world? (are we stuck in a screen similar to like a Mount & Blade captured screen waiting to be “rescued”) or is the player and surviving crew placed on an island or row boat?

3) Will the captain be able go ashore (1st/3rd person) either at port or certain plots of land (forage for food/water if low, make repairs, maybe even hide loot to be recovered later if being pursued) or is the scope of this game bound to just the ship itself?

4) I know this is historical nature but as captain do we have other areas to spend money other than the on just ships? (Gambling, Some sort of base of operations to level up?, side hustles?)

5) Also, assuming its a hard no, but no console plans right?

Thanks Admin!

Edited by Smljpa
added question
  • Like 1

I understand the player will be operating at deck level and able to move around the ship in 3 dimensions.

- Will the player be in 1st person, 3rd person, or adjustable between the two? (I am thinking here of Skyrim, where the player can use the mouse wheel to "roll" in to 1st person, or "roll" out to varying degrees of 3rd person. I found this incredibly useful for widening peripheral vision, and reducing the effect of motion sickness in 1st person).

Cheers.

• Like 4

This is a very important.

3 hours ago, Ortac said:

Will the player be in 1st person, 

Personally, it's a show stopper.  Without a first person view the game would not be immersive. A common complaint of the Witcher was that a third party app was required to use first person.

In the same area of interest; will the user be able to turn off text? or will there be text and UI features that are permanently turned on?  Elite Dangerous and ARMA3 allow the option to turn off all text, leaving the user to experience the game more realistically.  Naval Action allows no option to turn off the text over ports, or notifications.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello y'all. I've got another question. So I've been reading a lot lately and a fairly frequent struggle (it seems frequent anyway) it seems is lack of powder and shot when training crew. Will we experience this type of thing in game? I would think it would be super cool to be trying to train your crew but due to lack of supplies not being able to train gun crews etc..

So yeah, will we see this kind of problems during crew training?

• Like 3

On 6/4/2020 at 9:45 PM, Ruuster_IV said:

Hello y'all. I've got another question. So I've been reading a lot lately and a fairly frequent struggle (it seems frequent anyway) it seems is lack of powder and shot when training crew. Will we experience this type of thing in game? I would think it would be super cool to be trying to train your crew but due to lack of supplies not being able to train gun crews etc..

So yeah, will we see this kind of problems during crew training?

I see someone's been reading some Patrick O'Brien.....

• Like 1

1.  Your website says that later Pirate Life will be implemented. Are we going to be able to design our own flag? I believe that historically different pirates had different flags, each one individual and designed by the pirate or the crew or both.

2.  Are you planning on the cargo being 3d when youre loading and/or configuring the hold?

3.  How many different provisions are you planning on adding to the game? Maybe some provisions would help the crews morale. A game example of this would be U-Boat.

Edited by Sam Boots
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will sea legends early access still start in (december) 2020, or is it delayed due to the coronavirus?also, when will the limited founder edition be available for purchase, and what price range can we expect for that?

kind regards,

• Like 4

Greetings all,

Thanks to all the above who ask such great questions, many of which have been rolling around in my head. My Seadog and I have been waiting for this. Much thanks to Admin for the answers. I have a request (Ducking to miss the flying over ripe tomato.). If it is possible please include a seadog NPC. My present dog is a 38 kilo yellow lab/hound mix. A Newfoundland is also a good choice, my old one was 90+ kilos. Awesome water dog, couldn't stay out of it.

I'm on board when you're ready. Can't wait to sail.

Stay well all and fair sailing from Capt. Ed and Seadog 1st Class Wade. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 9:32 AM, admin said:
  • Sea Legend will be without UI and all/most commands will be done visually or through order book.The desire of gun per gun difference in ammunition is only viable for small ships with limited guns. On large ships in the heat of the battle guns were probably loaded with unified ammo according to training and if changed - changed universally as we don't see how a captain of the 1st rate could send 15-52 specific commands to load each gun with different loadout. Even if they sent 4 boys to each deck to tell new loadouts to gunnery sergeant, it would take too long to convey this command, than to continue loading ammo based on training routines. 

There might be differences by doctrine (the expected load out of a set of guns in battle, not an on the fly change issued in the middle of the loading cycle), not on a per gun basis, but for example all quarter deck carronades might be loaded with canister because of the short range function and position relative to a target (ability to sweep the opposing deck), whereas gun deck cannon would be loaded with round shot, as canister would be useless firing into the side of a ship, even at close range.  Another example would be single shot in carronades (they could not be double loaded) while long-guns were at the same time double-shotted. 

I would suggest allowing different ammunition a per deck or gun type basis.

Edited by akd
  • Like 1