Game-Labs Forum

Seal clubbing outside KPR or Typical day as a Brit

Audacious

I sat outside KPR and watched how defenseless low rank traders being ambushed by several different nations right outside their capital over and over. Not a single pvp group came out to clear the waters outside their beloved home port. It makes you wonder,  why?

3 minutes ago, Ortac said:

It's quite possible the "warriors" are located elsewhere on the map, and unable to assist.

or migrated to Dutch nation 👀

15 minutes ago, Audacious said:

I sat outside KPR and watched how defenseless low rank traders being ambushed by several different nations right outside their capital over and over. Not a single pvp group came out to clear the waters outside their beloved home port. It makes you wonder,  why?

People have been clubbing at capitals since the start of NA. Do you know what makes it worse? Trying to defend traders only incentivizes lazy pvpers to come to capitals cause they will get a fight out of it.

The US used to have a coast guard that would vigilantly react to gankers at Charleston and it backfired because all the other nations would come to farm the coast guard.

this will change soon(tm) 

we will post roadmap within a week. On the roadmap there will be limited NPC agression both on PVP and PVE server which will help with the seal clubbing a lot. 

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, admin said:

we will post roadmap within a week. On the roadmap there will be limited NPC agression both on PVP and PVE server which will help with the seal clubbing a lot. 

what will happen with nations that actually have an alliance with an other nation? will they have to sail around the friendly nation's waters knowing they will be chased by AI all the time? #bringbackalliancesystemwhichworks

11 minutes ago, admin said:

#SOON....within the week

So we will see it by the end of the month?   It's been very quite lately no hotfix patch notes either would be nice to know what is getting tweaked and worked on while we wait.  I mean we are a finished released game not ALPHA EA, any more.   Yes it's very early but players need good freed back from the DEVS or your going to start to loose interest in many of them.

I'm all for some NPC Agression and it should be all over the map like they are hunters so that you can have them show up being enemy lines, but please fix the normal AI so they aren't so tuff for causal players and your XP model is still completely broken.   Along with lack of means to make crafting XP other than by making ships.....I don't want to craft ships all the time, but I would like to gain more labor hours for resources.

• Like 3

Just now, Wyy said:

what will happen with nations that actually have an alliance with an other nation? will they have to sail around the friendly nation's waters knowing they will be chased by AI all the time? #bringbackalliancesystemwhichworks

There is no alliances in game....so why should it matter, all nations are at war with each other.. Unless they bring the factions thing around which I would prefer so nations can help each other out in the same faction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rediii said:

I hope we get Chasing AI only in Protected zones

This.^ 

I don’t want annoying and dumb AI chasing and tagging me every time I go looking for PvP somewhere.

Some folks may like fighting AI all the time, but I prefer to PvP when I’m hunting for PvP, on the server designed for PvP. 😉

If we must have aggressive AI, then please at least limit it to only around capitals.

RE: the topic: get good or continue to get farmed. I was farmed all the time when I was a noob. Eventually I figured out how to not be farmed, and to instead farm other players. Isn’t that how it’s intended to work?

• Like 6

I found the same. I won't mention where but our home waters are crawling with trader hunters. One chap has gotten 4 of myTbrigs in as many days.

As with everything it takes a little time to prepare a counter strategy. First of the trader ganking needs to be of sufficient level to affect more than a few outliers. Providing this is the case then we have some awesome content brewing! Counter fleets are being prepped, squadrons are being formed.

The lack of a response is likely due to this being a key time for most clans. Everyone is grinding like mental as they don't want to be stomped by 1st rate pb fleets so i imagine a lot of the organised folks are taking the hit on their traders whilst they grind to pilot first rates.

As to dangerous AI I love the suggestion. They are not the easy walk over they used to be. go broadside to broadside and you will die, so I'd be  v interested to see how this plays out  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

new guy writes in chat: I tried to do a trade run for the first time and got sunk.  Don't have a screenshot. I mean it's a game, but will he log back in tomorrow? 

Edited by Audacious

5 minutes ago, Salty Sails said:

The Brits owns so many ports! No need to sit in front of KPR.  So many shallow ports, where no enemies are passing by. Learn to read the combat news, never sail afk! Just 2 simple lessons. 

The challenge is that brand new players don't understand this yet.  They're not used to how the game works and have no idea how to sail their ships.  If we want to grow the player base, we're going to insist on seal clubbing, and we're going to insist on no automated protection for these players, we need to teach while we sink.  Try to help them out a bit so they'll stick around.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:

The challenge is that brand new players don't understand this yet.  They're not used to how the game works and have no idea how to sail their ships.  If we want to grow the player base, and we're going to insist on seal clubbing, we need to teach while we sink.  Try to help them out a bit so they'll stick around.

explained mechanics on the loading pages like so many other games has would help imo, which also has been suggested before :) 

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I still don't understand the resistance to doing a tiered no-, limited-, and full-loot PvP zone system like almost every other popular MMO has? This could have worked brilliantly well in Naval Action, allowing for training and dueling with no ship loss, tears or salt... and it could have been tied into the economic and crafting system in a way that rewarded more risk, etc.

There was no reason to reinvent the wheel in this game.

Are have proper safe/high security zones...oh wait all the seal clubbers complained cause they couldn't sit out side a capital and kill noobs and casuals or old bad players.   There was nothing wrong with the green zones we had other than they where always in favor of the attackers (crappy reinforcements, bad battle ROE).   I'm with the others that think the capital green zone should just be made bigger as in big enough that folks can do there missions and hit a few stray AI in that area in peace.   

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, --Privateer-- said:

I was just at KPR and saw a dutch Rattvisan jump a British l'Hermione. I jumped in on the Brit side and sunk the Ratt. KPR isn't just somewhere to go to hunt helpless British, it's also somewhere to hunt the players who are hunting the helpless British. 

Same thing should be done to help the US guys against the rats nightcrew. But shame to Devs, not every region have a freetown.... So, happy hunting poor us guys... sometimes are you the hunter, sometimes you are the target. Nothing new...

29 minutes ago, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:

The challenge is that brand new players don't understand this yet.  They're not used to how the game works and have no idea how to sail their ships.  If we want to grow the player base, we're going to insist on seal clubbing, and we're going to insist on no automated protection for these players, we need to teach while we sink.  Try to help them out a bit so they'll stick around.

In few years we had so many good suggestion to save new players in their first weeks. We had the newbie region in bahamas, we had an oversized reinforcement zone with magic 15 Knts 1st rates! We had ideas to make the whole gulf of mexico a PVE only area. It’s not in our hands to save new players. It’s up to devs decissions if they are able to code some usefull mechanics! Btw. You cant see on open world, if the player is a new one, an alt account or a veteran. Every PVP Player is happy to find other players in an almost empty open world. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

I love the implication that these low level traders are majority players and not alts doing cargo and passenger missions. 

Watch the numbers, if they get sunk all the time they won't last. There is no reward for those who log in next day. 

Edited by Audacious

3 hours ago, admin said:

I play PvE because there I can pick the fight.

A limited NPC agression will kill that principle of mine (and of many others).

Also: Limited NPC agression + coastal fire everywhere = big fail.

My homebase eg is in Port de Paix, the moment I leave that i am in crossfire range of coastal batteries. 

Once I get attacked in that narrow space, i can only run from the frying pan (NPC) into the fire (coastal batteries)

You should be very, very carefull with the design, else you loose half the PvE population.

• Like 1