Game-Labs Forum

POTBS

Zacaras

• 4 weeks later...

Roberts. Pirate Nation. Jonathan Smythe here leader of much run down Scurvey Seadogs Society. Hello to everyone who knew me and my society buddies.

Not active for some 18 months now, although I pop on every now and again just for old times sake.

Good game, Great pvp system.

Shame about the 'Magic buffs/Attacks' and unfortune double teaming which could ruin a Port Battle at the drop of a hat.

Loved beta to early release, played it a few years. Hated that silly non consensual PVP, LOVED port battles. Had 3 accounts all had at least 1 character of level 50. The game died when the devs listened to a very vocal PVP minority and chased off the other players. The message board was almost as bad as chan 4 and lots of players treated others horribly. It was one of the most caustic boards I've ever seen.

Edited by Joe

Loved beta to early release, played it a few years. Hated that silly non consensual PVP, LOVED port battles. Had 3 accounts all had at least 1 character of level 50. The game died when the devs listened to a very vocal PVP minority and chased off the other players. The message board was almost as bad as chan 4 and lots of players treated others horribly. It was one of the most caustic boards I've ever seen.

Not sure what you mean.. The non consensual pvp/port battle and econ system was the best part of that game by far.  It had many issues, but it was great fun (naval action will have the same thing).  Also the devs continually moved to restricting and cutting back the pvp environment you hated, so in what way did they bend to the pvp minority?  If anything, I would say things got easier and easier for the non pvp crowd as time went on.  Not trying to initiate a big debate, I am genuinely curious.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Swedish Vilsten - Brit on Roberts

Played PotBS for little over a year, started awhile after it went F2P and stopped shorthly after then introduced bronze cannons and chetskeys and what not. Also played for the most part of the beta (but under different name I think) but due to various real-life issues never ended up buying the game.

Favorite part was 6on6 combat and port-battles, couldn't really get into eco or 1v1's.

Since I am waiting for my game key, I have been looking on a fair few of the youtube videos of Naval Action. And what strikes me is the very poor line sailing preformed in NA compared to PotBS, is this because its so much harder to control your ship in NA or because there are more people who ain't so experienced with group pvp yet?

Edited by Vilsten

Since I am waiting for my game key, I have been looking on a fair few of the youtube videos of Naval Action. And what strikes me is the very poor line sailing preformed in NA compared to PotBS, is this because its so much harder to control your ship in NA or because there are more people who ain't so experienced with group pvp yet?

Line battles are overrated. And they were proven inefficient by Nelson.. 

• Like 1

A little of both I expect.  While there are a few "Societies" running around here, it's hard to get everyone into the same battle on the same side.  On top of that, PotBS had a very simplistic combat model - you zoomed out, got the enemy into your arc, and mashed the fire button.  In Naval Action, you're trimming your sails manually for turns, aiming the guns manually from a "first person" view, and then on top of that, trying to maneuver and hold station with one or more friendlies.  It makes for a very busy situation, and means you're having to divide your attention far more than PotBS, which in itself likely accounts for the far more "ragged" formations.

I expect once the game is farther along, and more folks are forming "Societies" (quotes only because who knows what form that will take in NA) and sailing together, you'll see an evolution of tactics and formations that will reflect those groups that are training together and trying their tactical acumen in the crucible of combat.

While NA is certainly more realistic, I will suggest that the combat model is much simpler.

No management of morale.

No management of 9999 skill combinations in combat.

No clickies, potions, etc.

The only thing "more difficult" is manual sails, and friendly fire / damage. Edit: and manual aim... But you get onto it fast.

That is, thus far. But that's my opinion. And nor does said opinion detract in any way how awesome and beautiful NA is...

Edited by Grim DeGrim

Another thing is in POTBS if you hit another ship no big deal, In NA you damage both ships. Also if you got between the enemy and another ship you completely blocked it, not in NA, the can shoot over your hull and still hit the ship behind you.

• Like 1

Line battles are overrated. And they were proven inefficient by Nelson.. 

Well, i believe line still can be effective. In early beginning of battle forming line its waste, at least for now, but further during battle it can be good in pursuiting disorganized enemy, for example. One good part of line is that no one block your way to retreat to the side, second one is that line are high discipline formation, which is more easy to comand. We got pretty fast battle compare to real one, and lack of voice communication (for now).

In fact Nelson famous "Straight at them" also doesn't work here, just because tonns of iron immidiaetlly fly over your hull. One thing, which make huge difference, is that here maneuvring is safe, no matter what. You can't broke own ship with insane turning etc, but if you where, then line battle doesn't seems so bad. Further destiny of line will be shown with new DM model. For now line could be used not in "- - -" way, but in "l l l" durning charge with further turn to side to made first one "snake" in close range, as i see it. Possibly it can be used in this way with new DM, if demasting won't be so easy as it is now. Some changes with effective angle of shooting in new DM could change gameplay a lot, just like rework of rake. Will see.

If we compare NA and Potbs line, then i can say that there line up was pretty easy. Endless repairs make lining pretty hard formation, but in NA standing with one side to enemy is way to graveyard and you can't sidestep, hide yourself beyound of teammate, repair then went back into formation. Limited repairs make your moves direction, which looks for more optimized repair, than 1 side 3-row just to stay in line. Also shooting isn't instant, aiming isn't automatic, which provide "sheep flock" effect during focus much more, than it was in potbs. Each captain in line need time to set his ship to proper angle, then aim, then shoot. Each time of that act, he will break formation for some time (which is longer than it was in potbs). So large groups of ships, like in trafalgar, for example, can't manage line fight without proper system of command over squads and voice.

Good to see so many from PoTBS here...Dax Blood, one time elected leader of the British nation on Roberts here. I am looking forward to a game without the magic tricks and crew resurrection hogwash. Lets all face it, that game was dead the moment they added fishing. 

Hey Guys, Dominic Ronchetti of the Dire Wolfpack and later Dominic Aubrey of the Kings Loyal Captains on Roberts. Im enjoying the trial but looking forward to the open world to return to His Magesty's Royal Navy. Anyone from KLC give us a shout.

• 3 months later...

Last two people I talked to (diehards) that played PotBS have not played in 2 weeks or more.  You go to Portalus's webpage and check the last update that brought in a new ship and you'll see the discontent and rage in the comments section.  I hope the staff for NA is taking notice of just how quickly a game can go downhill when you ignore the player population.

I remember when the fiasco for Brit Ventrilo (Antigua) went down and almost the entire Brit population moved to TeamSpeak (Save PAX and 3Sheets).  Brit Vent is still up but only a shell of what it used to be, with hardly even one person on it.  Brit TS went on for longer, but almost everyone in it nowadays is playing Naval Action, indicative of how players are no longer showing interest in that game.