Game-Labs Forum

POTBS

Zacaras

Chilly you do not know what I mean.

When POTBS was still under FLS/sonys leadership they wasted a lot of development time and ressources to build a completely new shipcombat mechanic. Meaning to remove all additional guns like we have now. They gave the Achilles over 3000 armor but only the few 15 cannons shen has now. Repairs worked like consumables wich will burn ressources. So if you ran out of planks/ sailcloth/ guns etc. you could no longer repair your ship.

Now guess what happened with tratder ships like the khan? nearly 2k cargo hold full of repairs. And in a skirmish 3 1st rates tried to demast a fully loaded khan. They raped her sails down to 0% and kept on a barrage of demasting shot. They failed to keep him demasted. He repaired his sails. Not even slowly but very steadily..

That patch was just horrifying. 

Agonizingly long battles because the damage skills were so weak and repairs near endless. Very few timed skills, just toggle on evasion and repairs and then spacebar the enemy. Oh, and you couldn't properly repair guns, so as the fight dragged out each side would be doing less and less damage.

They did achieve their goal of reducing the gap between old and new players though, replacing a beautiful, deep and balanced system that's rewarded learning, practice and thinking outside the box with one anyone could learn in 5min.

Only good thing was that if you didn't respec your character you could use the old skillset vs the new and absolutely melt faces lol

Thankfully that Khan video showed FLS just how broken their new system was and they dropped it.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously had some of the best gaming experiences of my life in potbs.  But it was not just about the game itself, it was the community.  The game and how you played it allowed for a certain sense of belonging and being part of a team,  working with other teams in the same nation towards common goals and seeing the results over time was very satisfying.  You only really get that in an open world mmo.  Hopefully NA will have something like this to !

(I remember putting my real life on hold to concentrate on winning the epic map on Roberts lol!)

I agree whole heartedly with your comment, had some of the best times with my fellow SGS mates and the whole British Nation when this game was first out. I could not wait to get home, jump in game and on TS to see who was on and what we were doing. And we even made special sails for the night flips, a really fun time. Really excited for NA and hope it can bring back the team aspect that we had in PotBS early on.

I agree whole heartedly with your comment, had some of the best times with my fellow SGS mates and the whole British Nation when this game was first out. I could not wait to get home, jump in game and on TS to see who was on and what we were doing. And we even made special sails for the night flips, a really fun time. Really excited for NA and hope it can bring back the team aspect that we had in PotBS early on.

SGS was a top notch Soc.  I quit france and went with Royal Navy at the end (after a brief spree in Spain).  Does that make me an evil crossteamer?

PotBS was a great game in its day.  It's a bit unfortunate, in my opinion, to see it in its present state.  I don't see a lot of hope for that game anymore; it's well below modern standards and with negligible rate of development.  Still, I enjoy it, and it's nice to see some of the old crowd here (and their everlasting ardour). ^_^

• Like 1

just post X SC and you will be fine huehuehue  but on lvl 30 on ward quest giv more Xp than fleeting.

ships to go:

Van Horn 

Postilion 21

Stralsund/Perigine 27

then Stral MC/Defiant 33

then later some other upogrades on around 40

I was wondering if you folks that played PotBS would post what group you belonged to in that game. I was with St. George Squadron of the White and was a Viscount. I was charged with recruitment and making sure they were properly introduced to our group and the way we operated.

Hope this game gathers in lots of POTBS diaspora.  I miss my friends in SMZS.  It would be nice to talk to them again.

Armand

P.S. Don't screw up avcom Game Labs. ;)

Oh god... yeah, I remember when they rolled in the Phantasy Star crap. Ugh.

Yeah some one helped me out big style and gave me 4 ships ranging from lvl 10 to 30 and 250000 coins :D

If you are on Roberts and get to lvl 50 hit me up on the forums here, I'll give you some ship deeds and money. Got a bit of a stockpile on that server and doubt I'll use them now  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Still playing POTBS till N/A come's into my hands.  But if anyone is playing POTBS that has a French toon, My group is pretty much running the French OS tiggy pvp atm...on EST.  Also a lot of the players are 6 year Vet's ect, so pm me in game. Via Jay Leno (French) or ask for Slappin Happy (Pirate)  or in any nation, i'm sure the common small pop can find me abroad. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

wow i shoulda known there would bea  potbs thread on here somewhere.

POTBS for me was a lot of fun but also one of the most dissapointing game releases i've been involved with. As an aussie i feel we really got shafted by the developers from day 1.

the release was handled poorly, the promise of aussie servers (which made sense if they were done at the same time) was not kept. When they did release aussie servers months later, they did so by a deal with the devil (telstra) and thus an already small online timezone (aussie primetime coincides with the lowest ebb globally of all online games in terms of active populations) was cut in half as many stayed on servers they had already made their home. The AU server therefore never hit a population that was viable and those that tried it ended up giving the game away within 2-3 monhts often. Most of the AU community left the game within the first 9 months never to return. 

My group went on from there to EVE where it became and remains one of the most dominant AU pvp groups in the game. best decision we ever made.

I uninstalled POTBS about a month ago. I lost all faith that they are going to turn it around. What really put the final nail in the coffin was people saying it was going "Pay To Win". I'm completely burned out of it. 

I will say it was a fun game for a while though. I always liked the pvp, and player driven economy. But they really have not changed a dam thing in years other then bad patchs, a few ships and BS store items. Its just not worth any of my time anymore.

Hopefully naval action pulls through and turns out great. Sounds cool so far. To me it sounds like it going to be the Age of Sail game I always wanted. But I really don't want to have to high of expectations. Its a video game after all. 

potbs is a dead game,the worst was the rats commin over to play brit playing french useing thier spain toons,,its a nitemare over there,,and we hope this game never allows that to happen

I have just discovered PotBS and an downloading it now as a complete newbie, any tips :P

ur not going to like it when ur friends are really ur enemy setting u up for a gank,,the only ones left there playing is hard core gankers,,once u unvail the dark side of that game you will leave like so many new players i have tried to help,,not to mention the old new players ive helped makeing thier 100 toon on the brit side so they can have eyes and know where you are to gank you,but enough said,,do ur missions ,stay out of the red,,if your mission calls for it ,,by pass find another,,use priviteer or freetrader becouse they have close to the rats abilitys,the naval officer is just terrible now,,no chance,,even when you reach level 50 you still have no chance to win a fight against a rat,,and you will find that out,even when you reach admiral rank ,seems it mean nothing to this game,,they wont fix what is broken and i really dont think they care,,good luck,,stay here

I am playing less and less now mainly bc there is a certain group of players that insist on exploiting OS mechanics to always maintain an unfair advantage. I think that play style is despicable. And I won't keep logging in just to be farmed by expert players who play low level alts in order to continuously gank.

It's pathetic and I'm very much looking forward to this game. I hope they allow for avatars and island exploration.

yeah its way worse now,,the xteamers run the show,,every port battel,,they come in from thier frog,dons,rats or brits to decide all battel for thier own interest,,each have so many toons you dont know who your playing with any more,,terrible game,,im helping a new player level got him set up and giving him all my ship deeds and money in the soc wharehouse and im gone too