Game-Labs Forum

Patch 29. Sextant, shallow water changes, improvements in the User interface.

admin

1 hour ago, Helix9001 said:

As much as I love my light frigates, how much of a market does this leave the 6th rates? (especially in the Nassau PZ). Super happy to see these ships getting more action, but at what cost? how many 6th rates will go out of fashion? I guess only time will tell...

also there is nothing I love more than losing my ship to a rage boarding LRQ. we should totally put these PTW ships in pbs.

Admin already said that there are only a few hardcore fans of 6th-7th rates and that they will continue to use them.

And he's right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Helix9001 said:

As much as I love my light frigates, how much of a market does this leave the 6th rates? (especially in the Nassau PZ). Super happy to see these ships getting more action, but at what cost? how many 6th rates will go out of fashion? I guess only time will tell...

also there is nothing I love more than losing my ship to a rage boarding LRQ. we should totally put these PTW ships in pbs.

I wish Nassau was special to non-DLC and only 6-7th rates.

Deadman's Cay could be where light frigates fight.

Let be color in CombatNews :)

image.png.561e6252b24b4211d7c62a28b18cc462.png

If you want to use color in combat news then:

rename Naval Action\Languages\_English.csv to Naval Action\Languages\English.csv

find and edit string

"OW/CombatChat/PlayerSankPlayerNearPort","<color=""green"">{0}</color> sank <b>{1}</b> near <color=#ff66ffff>{2}</color>."
"OW/CombatChat/PlayerBoardedPlayerNearPort","<color=""green"">{0}</color> boarded <b>{1}</b> near <color=#ff66ffff>{2}</color>."

Edited by qw569
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, qw569 said:

Let be color in CombatNews :)

image.png.561e6252b24b4211d7c62a28b18cc462.png

If you want to use color in combat news then:

rename Naval Action\Languages\_English.csv to Naval Action\Languages\English.csv

find and edit string

"OW/CombatChat/PlayerSankPlayerNearPort","<color=""green"">{0}</color> sank <b>{1}</b> near <color=#ff66ffff>{2}</color>."
"OW/CombatChat/PlayerBoardedPlayerNearPort","<color=""green"">{0}</color> boarded <b>{1}</b> near <color=#ff66ffff>{2}</color>."

Finally some modding support! Great patch devs! Kind of wished there was more changes though regarding hostilities being the game's biggest bore. But understandably you're working hard on finishing eco and UI. Looking forward to more improvements.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 12:32 PM, admin said:

Captains.
Patch was deployed today 17th of December 2018

• The game code has been almost completely prepared for localization. Localization/Tranlsation has started into main promised languages. Custom language file added for those who want to translate the game into any language for themselves or community or those who are not satisfied with our main english version
    • To use the custom file for your version of the translation:
      • Open folder Languages (currently Langs)
      • Copy the file named  _English.csv 
      • Paste and rename it to another name
      • Translate or edit that file to the language you want 
      • Save it in the standard CSV format if you open it in the Excel (file uses UTF-8)
      • Name of that file will be available in the general section of options in the drop down menu
      • File will be working properly after game has been restarted.
    • WARNING - This feature is for advanced users only. If in doubt - do not touch and do not save. 
    • If you screwed up the custom file and something does not work: delete the file you created. And restart the game. 
    • WARNING 2 - currently the file has some language IDs mixed up. Will be fixed in a couple of days.

@admin o @Ink A question of the translation of the file _English.csv. I have observed that some cells have symbols or codes. Do you have to keep it? I understand that if.

Example:

caused {0} damage({1}%)    causado {0} daño ({1}%)
on {0}    en {0}
(Target BR {0})    (Objetivo BR {0})
Earned    Ganado
{0} friendly damage <color=#ff0000>{1}</color> xp    {0} daño amistoso <color = # ff0000> {1} </color> xp
{0} friendly crew killed <color=#ff0000>{1}</color> xp    {0} tripulación amigable asesinada <color = # ff0000> {1} </color> xp
{0} friendly ship killed <color=#ff0000>{1}</color> xp    {0} nave amiga eliminada <color = # ff0000> {1} </color> xp

Population: {[value]}    Población: {[valor]}
Ping: {[value]}ms    Ping: {[valor]} ms

¿A parte del idioma, podemos personalizar los colores del texto?

On 12/11/2018 at 11:48 AM, admin said:
On 12/11/2018 at 11:38 AM, Anolytic said:

Hmm. I'd rather not to be honest.

Why are we going back to this exactly?

On 12/11/2018 at 11:37 AM, koltes said:

Please dont or remove from DLC.

Full port battles and more port battles are better than empty port battles and no port battles. 

Apologies if I have misunderstood but: Don't design the game for current (low) server pop. Design a good game for higher pop and people will buy/play.

"Build it and they will come" :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash Jack said:

How do you honestly get lost  in game??

space and time notion is warped for many.

In map the ports look like they are close but in truth they take, say... 20 minutes accelerated OW travel time.

Step away for a bit and come back and suddenly get confused... did i pass it already.... am i still en route ? OMG I'm looooost.... where's my gps !

Thing is, after going over the initial learning curve - one of the things many guys did back in the day was to "circumvent the map" in a exploration drive - no captain gets lost,  especially not in the areas where said captain sails most. the geography will tell him exactly where his relative position is without even looking at the map.

But yeah, takes a bit dedication

----

By the way

New account starts with 1 perk point.

For 2nd perk point it is 200xp, that's 1 battle.

So he gets GPS immediately after first contact in battle and first victory.

If new account does both Exams he immediately has the 10 points.  

2 minutes ago, Tom Farseer said:

Most of your post is true, but that statement there is a bit utopian, don't you think? 🙃

I don't think. I arrogantly know how my newcomer experience was. I can write the entire account, especially of the first circumvent, as i remember everything in detail - that's how awesome the voyage was ( and the terrain models were still the old ones )

How do you think the guys that made the first maps for NA did it ? There's was no map. No M key. 

Anyway, there's a map and GPS little icon now and is 200xp away. Done and over with.

Point is I think a sextant is kind of a common thing at this time. Why is it a perk? You'd be better off making things interesting, making tracking a skill and at level 1 you suck and when you track your position 100kms off.

Then you get better and you can track yourself within say 20km every RL hour or so. Good balance, easy improvement wouldn't you say? I mean a perk, really? pft.

Edited by Slim McSauce

43 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Thing is, after going over the initial learning curve - one of the things many guys did back in the day was to "circumvent the map" in a exploration drive - no captain gets lost,  especially not in the areas where said captain sails most. the geography will tell him exactly where his relative position is without even looking at the map.

But yeah, takes a bit dedication

20 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

I can write the entire account, especially of the first circumvent, as i remember everything in detail - that's how awesome the voyage was ( and the terrain models were still the old ones )

How do you think the guys that made the first maps for NA did it ? There's was no map. No M key. 

Good old times of the discovery ! That was great : sailing long distance, admiring the OW, fighting, discovering, looking for a passage to the Pacific... 🙂

31 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

I don't think. I arrogantly know how my newcomer experience was. I can write the entire account, especially of the first circumvent, as i remember everything in detail - that's how awesome the voyage was ( and the terrain models were still the old ones )

The game we enjoy a lot (RUST) was fighting this for years and still gave up and added a map and an icon.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, admin said:

The game we enjoy a lot (RUST) was fighting this for years and still gave up and added a map and an icon.

I think grids and a rough cords would be good for most players like we had just before it was removed.  Than leave the perks for those that  want gps

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, admin said:

My entire point is that new account ( if doesn't want to do tutorial ) - midshipman - starts with 1 point for perks. 200 xp later it gets the 2nd perk point. The perk costs 2 perk points.

Was a comment towards the request to be given automatically to new players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

Point is I think a sextant is kind of a common thing at this time. Why is it a perk? You'd be better off making things interesting, making tracking a skill and at level 1 you suck and when you track your position 100kms off.

Then you get better and you can track yourself within say 20km every RL hour or so. Good balance, easy improvement wouldn't you say? I mean a perk, really? pft.

Because some new players find the game more interesting when everything isn’t spoon-fed to them....  I would have been disappointed had the game automatically given me a gps icon (or coords) when I first started.  

The devs have made it “available” for players, albeit at a small cost.  

People need to stop assuming they know what EVERY new player wants/needs.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rediii said:

if/then would be awesome so we can colorcode every single nation.

Is there a option to make hostility a different color too?

Maybe this string, but i'm not sure

"Port/Missions/Hostility/HostilityReachedMessage","Hostility for {0} has reached 25%"
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, rediii said:

When I started the game we had coords on the map with our position and a grid. Now we have nothing.

but there was no map when the OW was implemented, right ?

during several months

when Prater started mapping

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

Is it possible you would add inaccuracy on the sextant if the player sails in a storm or through foggy weather?

@rediii we are not recruiting marines for our navy. They are players who wants to enjoy the game. When time comes, they reset the perk and use it for another important thing. 

I still find the in game sextant to be absurd as it gives very accurate position, and also after removal of traders tool very difficult to fix positions without sextant. I am not talking about straight trips, imagine you had multiple pvp fights over and over. Or you want a complex trading route.

As I purposed before sextant should give a big circle, your ship anywhere inside that circle, sextant should be a natural perk as for our time period, I guess most captains were using it.

1) Seeing a port improves the accuracy and circle is much smaller

2) Seeing land improves accuracy and cicle is mediorce

3) Ow with no land and port, circle is bigger, gets to maximum when ow for a long time, but still gives a may be 30x30 km accuracy. 

So we assume when your officers see the land they recognize the position using profile maps, seeing a port is also. What was the accuracy of sextant in given ages ? Without seeing land ?

Doesn't if feel more natural in the way I describe...

• Like 1