Game-Labs Forum

Patch 16: Control, Mast and Ship strengths rebalance.

admin

1 hour ago, admin said:

they cant work in OW and will never work there. Physics does not and will not exist in open world and sailing is based on physics

But couldn't you approximate it? Api has speed modifiers for angles to the wind to simulate sailing profile in OW, right?

So currently you have speed mods that influence base speed that then is modified by the api wind angle modifiers to give the current speed at ow at a certain angle to the wind. What if these studding and staysails and rig refits modify not the base speed but the api wind angle modifiers and thus change the OW sailing profile?

Edited by Knobby

On 2/8/2018 at 3:24 AM, admin said:

Captains
Patch has been deployed 

Whats new

• Control perk has been added to all ships with no bow gun ports (no chasers).
  •  

My pickle has no control which is either the title of a bad teen movie or the description of the possible bug I am reporting.

Since it has no bow chasers, I think under the new patch the pickle is supposed to have control. It doesn't. Or at least you don't see the word Control on top of screen. 

Edited by Farrago
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, admin said:

they cant work in OW and will never work there. Physics does not and will not exist in open world and sailing is based on physics

well - every ship after any refit was undegoing sea trials. Captains did not know ANYTHING about their ship they got until they sailed it. 

i know this would be hard to do but it's just an idea :

Is it possible that you could add us the option to run a little "simulation" (it's ok if it takes couple of minutes) where the ship would be put in battle (whether we actually see it on screen or not doesn't really matter) and the game would calculate the max speed of the ship on different points of sails and generate something like a graph , store it in the ship as it's specification and use that in OW? and perhaps make it optional so if you're in a rush to help a friend and throw a refit on a ship that you just crafted/bought you don't have to wait .. your OW will be lower but would be ok

there must be some graph for each ship dictating their performance in OW this is how you were able to make them sail a little better upwind in OW than they sail in battle  so could this simulation/calculation edit that data for each specific ship?

Edited by John Sheppard
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Pirate refit looks nothing exceptional in Connie... I'd like to point again that jib/main sail power mods looks barely working if ever in her.

Sail force mods emphasize strengths better than weaknesses. Don't try to turn a downwind ship into an upwind ship. Instead add square rigs to a downwind ship to make it a God downwind.

1 hour ago, Flinch said:

Sail force mods emphasize strengths better than weaknesses. Don't try to turn a downwind ship into an upwind ship. Instead add square rigs to a downwind ship to make it a God downwind.

I know.

As far as I remember Connie is a better upwinder than downwinder atm... and indeed has a quite high percentage of jib looking at other ship.

So Connie should benefits more from Pirate refit than Spanish one.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, admin said:

Maybe you could calculate increase/decrease of speed for certain courses based on percentage of jib/main sails, and apply them flattly on the OW? Even if it wouldn't be perfect, it could help.

It's not the critical issue in my eyes though. I'm more or less ok with current changes, except for:

• some skill knowledges are right now useless when compared to upgrades
  • if ship konwledges wouldn't be useless, they would allow to create an OP combo.

On 2/10/2018 at 5:43 PM, admin said:

any feedback on Spanish/ Pirate rig buffs?

Or everyone is happy and enjoying?

Used the regular Pirate Rig Refit and the Treatise of Staysails Trim on a teak/teak Constitution. Only other mods were speed and light ropes. Good. Really, really good. Could achieve speed like 8.1 knts on 45° to the wind and coming out of the tacking with speed of 3.1 knts if i do it right. :D

I wonder what a Elite Pirate Rig Refit would do with her ...

On the downside, her downwind performance is severely lowered. But that's ok imho

Edit: Used it in battle, didn't notice a big difference in ow

Edited by Bragan Benigaris

Masts have been this kind of "I win" button.

Leaks are still, you can basically sink someone with one broadside.  Sinking will also happen like in 30 seconds.  You should nerf Leaks.  It would be better if more men are needed or that it takes very long time to pump all out, not just sink right there.  It should need way more leaks to be able to sink directly.

Masts and Leaks are both suffering from the fact that cannons are super accurate.  Cannons are not moving up and down with waves after fire command.  This makes water line shots to be even deadlier.

Then and if there is going to be this chain-sail-lock.

You are building locations to shoot, things that players can shoot at.  If this kind of locations are very efficient, it is actually decreasing tactical part.  Also maneuvering should have bigger role.

Trick shots, if made powerful, can and will destroy the "base" game.  You should get an advantage but not direct "I win".

• Like 1

You nerfed hull thickness too much.  Sure, mast thickness as well.

Angling hull means next to nothing if hull thickness is very low.  Probably Cartagena mod is and has been breaking hull thickness balance.  Nerf the mod and buff hull thickness.

Small ships have lost so much hull and masts that those are less competitive vs bigger ships.  Big ships should be better but something left for smaller ships as well.  Else we may end up to a situation where everyone is simply sailing a SOL.

Also Dear @admin, can you explain why PvP focused game needs gear advantage veteran players?

Counter Strike is a very popular PvP oriented game.  Do you think CS would be that popular if some players would have better gear than others or more money to spend?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rediii said:

Thickness is nice atm

Masts ... yea hard topic to balance.

There is no advantage. pvp players buy their shit from pve players.

Also btw in CS people have different levels on money depending how they use it and how they perform as far as I know.

Also CS is not a mmo dude

I assume you are not using Cartagena on any of your ships?

We can simply disagree here then.  Angling should mean a more.

In CS they have exactly the same amount of money when they start?  If they play well, they get more money and have a better change to win the match, right?  Still, everyone has the same amount of money to start with.

CS is not an mmo but I am pretty sure you can find an PvP mmo that has the same.

I do not, and will never understand why some players claim that upgrades give PvPers and veterans an unfair advantage....

I only PvP and I frequently fight without or with very basic upgrades for the simple reason that we lose more ships.. It's the PVEers who have the upgrades and sell them at insane prices to PvPers - yet it's the PVEers complaining that PvP players have an unfair advantage.

EDIT: And yes, angling still works - Anything above T/T is fine, but I would recommend a Navy Structure or Caulking on T/T frigates when fighting 24lbs+

Edited by NicklasK

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Heh, in one sentence you say mods don't matter and then advocate for two of the most expensive mods for a PvE'er to get for general use?

I said that you'd need them if you insist on bouncing 24lb balls in a TT ship - There are alternatives... you could simply make a TW ship. Don't take a frigate to a SotL fight and expect to win without mods.... in a Trinc vs Trinc fight the caulking/structure mods matters little.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rediii said:

I had 0 gold at the start aswell, did good and now I have more.

Cartagena is still strong but its not a deciding factor in small pvp. its what you do with yohr ship and nothing else.

Just look at rubli vs rus yesterday. RUS even had way more ships, way more HP and Crew and upgrades etc. and still lost vs 7 guys

So are you using Cartagena still?

After wipe everyone was on the same level.  None had anything.  Today this is not the case anymore.

Did not see the RUS vs Rubli fight.

If gear does not matter, I suppose you could then support me on my cause?  Ask devs to balance gear so that people like me who hate gear warriors would be happier?  I may not be the only one.

6 hours ago, Capn Rocko said:

Angling means nothing if ship is made of fir : P 

My T/T trinc was bouncing shots (angled) from an ingermanland last night.

Thickness upgrades?

1 hour ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

If gear does not matter, I suppose you could then support me on my cause?  Ask devs to balance gear so that people like me who hate gear warriors would be happier?  I may not be the only one.

So why would gear need to be balanced if it does not matter?

I don't believe gear will decide the outcome of a fight. I believe gear is a way to tune a ship/setup to a play style and would be sad if that option would be taken away.

@admin I played around a bit with elite spanish rig refits today and wile i like what it does, i think it should be reduced to +20% & -20% instead of the current 30%. My 12kt teak/wo bellona goes 14,4kt in batte, and yard power and ship acceleration feels really powerful. When sailing close hauled even a small change in wind can put you in irons (even when you're still only 30 degrees to the wind) and you will need to sail backwards to get out. I feel that is a good trade off, but even backwards sailing is increased by the huge yard power. So in all i like that the effect is really noticable, but i feel the elite is a little too much.

PS Can you comment on this suggestion?

On 2/10/2018 at 10:00 PM, Knobby said:
On 2/10/2018 at 8:58 PM, admin said:

But couldn't you approximate it? Api has speed modifiers for angles to the wind to simulate sailing profile in OW, right?

So currently you have speed mods that influence base speed that then is modified by the api wind angle modifiers to give the current speed at ow at a certain angle to the wind. What if these studding and staysails and rig refits modify not the base speed but the api wind angle modifiers and thus change the OW sailing profile?

18 minutes ago, Knobby said:

I don't believe gear will decide the outcome of a fight. I believe gear is a way to tune a ship/setup to a play style and would be sad if that option would be taken away.

You don't have to rely on belief, you can go out and test this. We've done this many, many times.

Edit:

You don't get any dissonance from this?

"gear is a way to tune a ship/setup to a play style"

"My 12kt teak/wo bellona goes 14,4kt in batte"

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Knobby said:

When I compare @Hethwill (shop ships with crap mods) vs me (custom build ships with expensive mods and books) I would say custom + expensive mods win.  I am able to force fights when he has no chance of catching.  So first of all I would say gear decides what you fight. 2nd I can disenage whenever i want Heth chances are high that he sinks. I can rebuild my ship in fights while he just gets back a little bit of hp.

Whenever I hear about shop ships i think about throw away ships.

• Like 4