Game-Labs Forum

Patch 15: Tutorial testing and many other things

admin

47 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I tested 18 Pd long and 32 Pd carronade by measuring time over 250m and comparing trajectories of different velocities. Your 18 Pd seems to fire with ~300 m/s, the carronade with ~150 m/s. 

Penetrations and ballistics is historical and drops are historical, caliber differences are historical too. Speeds are irrelevant if you know that your gun pen is 0 at 500m thats enough for realism.
Thats why, visual velocity and size of the cannonballs is not going to be discussed here. They are such because you need to see.
You need to see what you hit and how you hit it to adjust aim, thats why you need to see the melons flying. 

In reality you would not see shit. It would be just a whizzz and voila you have a headless scribe near you. (true story by the way. nelson ordered him to be thrown overboard right after it happened).

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

It sounds to me like we need to make it more hardcore :ph34r:

No information about the enemy ship health.  No tracer rounds for impacts.  Only the shower of splinters or splashes to let you know where you hit.  :wub:

I would love that.  Those of us who come from milsim communities already know how to adjust for that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

No information about the enemy ship health.  No tracer rounds for impacts.  Only the shower of splinters or splashes to let you know where you hit.  :wub:

If each ship was more standardized within what it is I would totally agree because you would see a ship's rate and model and have a rough idea of its strength and capabilities. Therefore, estimating damage as you said would be a very good feature. However, with the amount of mods and books we have that can completely alter these ships and make them into things wholly different than anything close to their design, it would just be infuriating not to see the effect of your fire. 

We should hide crew remaining though. That is way too much intel.

9 minutes ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

perhaps as a hardcore mode for NA Legends for players to choose from (à la Arcade - Realistisc - Simulator settings from War Thunder); I dont think the average player playing NA would be ok with it being default

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Would love that...

#NavalArmAction 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Visual velocity and size of the cannonballs is not going to be discussed here
You need to see what you hit and how you hit it to adjust aim, thats why you need to see the melons flying. 

I dont want this to be realistic, youre telling us its supposed to be realistic... Just make clear what you want. Its your game, i dont really care what this is. I do care about wasting my time because of misinformation and bad communication.

Sorry for my research, wont try to help again.

38 minutes ago, admin said:

In reality you would not see shit. It would be just a whizzz and voila you have a headless scribe near you.

Maybe people would like exactly that, because thats immersive. And wouldnt tracers or hit markers be a better solution than slow melons?! Did you try atleast to speed up the melons? Okay ill stop now.:D

5 hours ago, admin said:

Thats why, visual velocity and size of the cannonballs is not going to be discussed here. They are such because you need to see.

In reality you would not see shit. It would be just a whizzz and voila you have a headless scribe near you. (true story by the way. nelson ordered him to be thrown overboard right after it happened).

For immersion purposes, all cannon balls should appear the same size though.

The melon that's big enough for Lynx is big enough for Santi.

My brain has been trained to expects a melon of a certain size, but when I fire a 42-pdr (much bigger melon), the illusion is ruined and the game looks goofy again.

Real-life shot doesn't vary much in size anyway. Who can tell the difference between 3-inch and 6-inch ball at a distance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

I dont want this to be realistic, youre telling us its supposed to be realistic... Just make clear what you want. Its your game, i dont really care what this is. I do care about wasting my time because of misinformation and bad communication.

Sorry for my research, wont try to help again.

You calculate speeds 
I explain to you why they are like this
and you blame me for misinformation and miscommunication?
What is zis?  Are you sure forums are a right place to discuss things for you if your sensitivity makes you offended by simple answers.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Landsman said:

If we have ships with 5 perm slots now, can you at least give pirate refit 5 too? It's really uselss atm and even worse now... 6 slots vs potential 10...

Give it 5 and make it craftable with chance for the perks.   I love the LGV as a trade hunter in the past, but it's kinda hard to play that role and live when your out class by any combat war ships easly.  I mean the thing can't even out run most war ships. 

Than give the current refit stats to the normal LGV to give it a reason to be played by others.  The Refit one gets the nice paint and 5 slot options.  Speaking of which do trade ships get the option of the random perk? I haven't even checke this cause i had so many trade ships to redeem from the merge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Odol said:

At least adjust the speed so it goes 12knots with a live oak, white oak build.  That would bring it more in line with what it SHOULD be. 

It just can't be done that way. It will ruin balance, for reasons already stated: fir/fir Constitutions would do insane speeds. I doesn't matter what speed the real Constitution did as a Live Oak / White Oak ship. Here is why:

• In game, we have a mechanic that allows you to select different wood types. Each wood type has advantages and disadvantages in speed, agility, or toughness. This is not how ships were built. A fir ship would be built with thicker frames and thicker planking to keep the ship structurally sound. It probably wouldn't resist cannonball/splinter damage as well, but it would be cheap. It would be somewhat lighter than a heavier wood build, but that won't affect your speed too much because sailing ships were designed to float within a waterline range, and the provisions, cannons, crew, and rock ballast were what made your ship float there. Lightening the ship to gain speed was a last-ditch effort to escape an enemy, for example. And wood types would not affect turning of the ship at all: a white oak rudder is just as functional as a fir rudder. As far as acceleration goes, a heavier ship will be slower to accelerate in a straight line, or while turning, however, the wood type isn't important here because the ship will weigh about the same after ballasting whether its fir, live oak, white oak, teak, or mahogany.

So all this basically means is that we have various wood types to modify our ship's stats when, in reality, White Oak or Live Oak was the generally preferred framing material, and white oak was the generally preferred planking material for a naval warship. Substitutions were most often made to save money or because of lack of availability (but do not interpret this as an endorsement for fine woods to be re-implemented, those were horrible). Would I prefer a different crafting and upgrade system? Yes. Especially one with no RNG, but that is neither here nor there, since it seems that we are set to having the current system stay as-is.

On to the Constitution in particular. Yes, it needs buffing: both turn rate and speed. It is a very long ship, with a lot of hull below the waterline. It naturally wouldn't be a super-great turner. For game balance though, it should turn better than it does now. Speed should be buffed, but remember, it wasn't necessarily super fast. There were other ships that did the same 12-13 knots it has been reported to do. Some ships were even faster. It undoubtedly was a good fighting ship, and probably wasn't a horrible sailor, but to claim that it should be the fastest, best turning, and toughest frigate would be a blunder. From my reading, it seems that it took a lot of tuning to make Constitution sail well.

If you want a Constitution to do 13+ knots, it is possible, but I don't think you'll see that with Live Oak/White Oak anytime soon. The last time I remember having a Live Oak Constitution do over 13 knots was before the Unity 5 patch/wipe last year. I had a Live Oak, Pirate Refit Bonus, Speed Constitution with Copper Plating, Speed Trim, and Studdingsails (blue or gold, IIRC). I seem to recall it doing about 13.2-13.5 knots.

• Like 5

The constitution is probably in the best space I've seen it. 

Its super thick, as thick as a 3rd rate. It's historical tanky-ness is well represented

Only thing I would change is bump up the turnrate to 2.5-2.7. Right now its only about .2 knts tighter turning than the Vic, which is a tad ridiculous 

Gentlemen, from my point of view the constitution is fine like this, it has the band of a third, a very powerful artillery and a speed more than acceptable, if you have trouble turning you fix it with knowledge and permanent upgrades, or is that want to create another wasap ??, because until two days ago everyone complained about the wasap and so the poor man has remained, with values of 4th bp of third and it is only possible to get it with pvp, it is necessary that we meditate on what we asked for because we can be granted ....

The tutorial very good, I would not have removed so much protection to the ships, but it is a matter of getting used to it and trying a bit more, since the wasap is a 3rd now because it would raise a little the crew. I love the changes for the crafteadores, it makes exciting every time a boat is created.

1 hour ago, firebool said:

Gentlemen, from my point of view the constitution is fine like this, it has the band of a third, a very powerful artillery and a speed more than acceptable, if you have trouble turning you fix it with knowledge and permanent upgrades, or is that want to create another wasap ??, because until two days ago everyone complained about the wasap and so the poor man has remained, with values of 4th bp of third and it is only possible to get it with pvp, it is necessary that we meditate on what we asked for because we can be granted ....

A superfrigate cannot turn like a 1st rate. Period.