Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

Not too sure if it has been said...but I would like to see animated CREW on the ships in Open World.  As it is now we are all sailing Ghost Ships until we enter a battle.  Put some crew on the ships while sailing in Open World...give us some eye candy for the love of everything that is Holy mates!  Look these ships were teaming with crew on the decks, up in the rigging and masts...come on Dev's your graphics and physics engine can handle it...give us some crew on our ships as we sail the seas in Open World...

These ideas are excellent!

A few things I would like to see would be:

1. Being able to open the map and have a search bar to where a specific port is located.

2. On Conquest Information in the map, being able to click on the port name and the map navigating to it. Example: "Denmark Captured Port Antonio" *Clicks on Port Antonio and map shows where it is*

3. A journal function for those who are in love with Role Play and to keep your self updated.

4. Boarding Animations (Nothing to big) like your men firing muskets, cannons firing, grenades, etc.

5. Open World events (ex. Storms, Famines, Grand Festivals etc.)

and

Would be great to be able to fire a cannon salute on the world map, just couple visual puffs of smoke and sound. Currently the only way to greet a familiar player in the open world is through chat.

Not sure if some of this has been said.
  • A personal/custom name for each ship. 
  • Have your nations flag visible during OW. 
  • Telescope during OW
  • Turning ship's wheel in battle
  • Anchor animation! (I suppose only in the OW, idk why you'd really need to use it in battle)
  • Large ports to dock to in OW instead of just getting kind of close when you pull in to port
  • Actual currency for each nation (Dutch Guilder, Spanish Real, British Pound, Swedish Kroner and so on)
Edited by kingslynn93
  • Like 1

From cruising yesterday on PVE;

Some form of better navigation tools, increased Line Of Sight, journal map entry where you fought, or map LOS to visible cities or landmarks.

Weather report when in town, should not have to get the crew out of bed to check weather

More immersion on OW without dogging her down, one or two ships anchored in major harbors, flags, signs of life, etc. Can have an option button for the cpu constrained.

More trade brigs and snows (Squirrel!), and also, breaking them up should result in more parts, since we can't cap bigger ships anymore. Might even think about raising the price paid on used busted up shipping. But I do find I'm getting most of the toys I want, so more parts than money.

Work on the boarding mechanics. I'm starting to be able to cap trader brigs and snows well enough, still, the boarding window needs to be a little wider. From real experience, it's not so much top speed as it is comparative speed. If two boats are traveling together at 6 kts and 16 feet apart I can grapple and pull them along side easy as pie. Almost as easy if the boats have a 3 1/2kt speed differential. On leaks, yeah, I don't mind being punished for slamming two boats together, but if I kiss them up then no cost.

(I design and build tugs, among other maritime ventures). And I have built and driven wooden boats. But again, this is tweaking stuff, I'm reasonably happy with current mechanics.

But in this same line, there should be a pretty good chance of surrender of a merchant ship, When I pull alongside a lightly armed brig 10% chance of surrender, after a round of grape 40%, 10% for each additional broadside, with a dice throw ahead of all, say 10% chance the guy your coming up against is a total psychopath die to the last man, or 10% he's sitting on a cargo of explosives with a pregnant wife (literary stealing I am now) and surrenders the moment you hit the instance.

love the flags. I know we all know that  captains bond with his ship is personal I would like to see something (not a modern take on it) maybe a flag setup or a single panel on a sail or something smallish but noticeable if they get closer. would give owning a ship a bit more personal. 

players who logged of in OW should not be able to join battle when they log in for at least 3 min, this will stop players from making ambushes, when 5-7 clan ships waiting in lobby while 1 lures enemy into fight next to the point they logged off.

3 minutes won't cut it. Bait will keep dragging you, as we saw yesterday in a undisclosed location with unamed nation folks. Glad their plot didn't.

I advocate the "free teleport". Log back in the closest national/free port.

Simple.

A free teleport without ship would be nice for those with not much time to play.

Maybe the option to send ships to other outpost with a fee for a rental crew and maybe a realistic travel time for the chosen distance between thr two ports.

A effect on the speed of the sailsetting, appropriate to the sail damage-percentage to simulate damage to the rigging.

To increase difficulty or unpredictability of battle planning, how about random crew losses due to:

1. Scurvy, smallpox, yellow fever, and other diseases.
  2. Violent storms (injury or overboard).
  3. Desertion prior to port exit.

In the same fashion, random application of failure to any number of ship's components: e.g. cannons, sails, rudder, helm, etc.  Random requirement of repair prior to battle increases decision-making, chance, and potentially difficulty.

• Like 1

love the game but I think that the breaking up of ships with permanent upgrades should attract a drop in notes of what ever type was used to make them, perhaps even for high grade ships that took a lot of notes to make.

Currently there is no incentive to break ships, the BP drop % is so small it is ridiculous, parts drop is equally small, this could make break ship a real option. 

Edited by ianhclark
  • Like 1

How about a chat filter and the end of the pvp via chat reporting and hall monitors in the form of mods.

Seriously I cant be the only person fed up with this nonsense,

that way people who care about the internet beiong a safe place can have it, and people who dont care dont have to worry about getting banned when this was not a consequence that we either knew about or explicitly agreed to at the time of purchase

This is a big one.

Vary the server maintenance times. I realize you have only so many devs and all, huge fan of your efforts; but somehow I only feel the need to sail (or have the freedom) at that one hour of the goddamn day.

Rudimentary suggestions:

1) Can name your own ship & Fleet cutters/lynx's ---------- (Most likely stated many times before)

2) Place "Clan/guild + Name" (just like you would see on the "Battle" waters screens),  over "players" ships in OW, for easier recognition.

3) Ability to use scope to see port name in OW, from further distance out.

Not-so rudimentary ones....

4) Training rooms (well, ok, so this may NOT be a little thing) - but it sure would be useful to "help" the new folks!

5) While in one of my outpost Ports, the Ability to scroll over a port (I currently have as an established outpost) -- and see the "current" prices for all the available items*.            (*Materials, upgrades, Consumables, Commodities, SHIPS --- eventually crews, ...etc....)

6) Might also could expand #5 to list the current ONLINE players that are in one of those PORTS (ok, this one might be a bit much if ALOT of folks are online)

* again, This is only for an outpost that I have established, and ONLY if I am in one of my OTHER outposts

* or just list the players, ONLINE,  just for the outpost that you are in 

* I can see an argument against #6 already, in regards to the sneaky build up of enemy combatants, in one port,  near a prospective target port. But, there were SPIES every where... and TALL ships are HARD to hide!

Cheers!

-Yank

addn: #7) .. Ability to renew or change your missions (Admiralty or Fleet) while at sea. This way after having sailed all over creation to do 3 missions, you don't have to sail all the way back to port to renew. Thus just enabling the player to continue his missions as he sees fit (or repair kits allow)

Edited by yankyaeger