Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

Can the developers please just force survival on at all times. We now have way to much suicide griefing in this game. Imo it's more realistic with survival forced on at all times. If a captain tells his crew that they are about to commit suicide to awoid being captured, or to damage another ship by blowing up, there would be a mutiny in most cases! 

Just curious, what would the mutiny accomplish? Where would the crew leave to if a ship was beyond firestop? I believe most would sink anyway with the ship or surrender. So in either case, they would drown, or would surrender should be mandatory? I believe Asian enthusiasts would disagree, as surrender is unequivocally dishonorable....

These ideas are excellent!

and

Not sure if some of this has been said.
  • A personal/custom name for each ship. 
  • Have your nations flag visible during OW. 
  • Telescope during OW  Thank you!
  • Turning ship's wheel in battle
  • Anchor animation! (I suppose only in the OW, idk why you'd really need to use it in battle)
  • Large ports to dock to in OW instead of just getting kind of close when you pull in to port
  • Actual currency for each nation (Dutch Guilder, Spanish Real, British Pound, Swedish Kroner and so on)

i know it's probably not entirely realistic but I think it would be cool to hear maybe some jungle sounds, birds and alike the closer you sail towards the coast of an island. Maybe do the same the closer you sail towards a port. It would add more immersion to the world and maybe make exploring it more fun, too? Sharks, dolphins + whales too ofc  :D Shooting stars at night ;)

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS
  • Like 2

Hi, brand new here, really enjoying what I've played so far.  I'd like to see an option to be on the deck in both OW and in battle mode (with no ability to suddenly sprout wings).  As to the suggestions of signal flags and casual players not being able to understand them, what about including an option to have a tool-tip pop up that gives you what the signal says when you hover over the signal flag (as a string?) ?  Cheers!

Not sure if some of this has been said.
  • Have your nations flag visible during OW. 

the nation flag wasn't always raised and the less possible as it would display were you come from and if you are an enemy they would even often use flags of other nations to fool other captains so having the flag of yur nation constantly raised on your ship is not historical at all

• Telescope during OW  Thank you!

why not it like normal and maybe the more important place to use it

• Large ports to dock to in OW instead of just getting kind of close when you pull in to port

with your big ship you couldn't enter harbour and go dock cause the water would be too shallowed near coast and ships would drop anchor a bit far and little boats would go ashore from the big ships

but for the rest I totally agree

Can the developers please just force survival on at all times. We now have way to much suicide griefing in this game. Imo it's more realistic with survival forced on at all times. If a captain tells his crew that they are about to commit suicide to awoid being captured, or to damage another ship by blowing up, there would be a mutiny in most cases! 

I think it wouldn't help as players like to undo survival as to be able to blow up in front of other ships and not have stupid crewmates extinguish fire

and somhow when you know you're doomed and want to throw as much balls as you can you need to put all your crew in cannons and not in survival

I suggest maybe to have a survival for ship reparing an a fire crew selector to choose to extinguish fires or not and like this an other one when the crew will be in the game to make the crew abandon ship to save them before the blast

thank you

Seen a lot of requests for flags etc in OW, as well as in Battle, generally the ensign was only raised when it was deemed necessary, to identify your self to either a friend or a foe , also the use of the "ruse de Guerre" was commonplace, and acceptable as a tactic, as long as the correct colours were hoisted when the engagement was joined. So for open world I would say not needed, however mast pennants were generally present , as they were a good indicator of wind direction, so, I would suggest those being present in OW, and also some mast pennants that are less guady....most of the ones in game seem to be signal flags, and do look a bit out of place, so it would be nice to personalise ( or have the option to) these pennants to taste......also for us nasty 'orrible piratical types, the option to customise the black flag.....and or customisation for Clan Colours. 

The suggestions for deck selection is also a good idea, it would be nice for example to use only the heavy guns on the gundeck at longer ranges, as a lot of people use Carronades as weather deck guns, and they are pretty much useless at ranges above 100 m 

Finally....navigation tools !!! all we need is a ruler, a pencil, maybe some dividers, but those arent really important, and a compass, actually ON the map , I find navigation a chore, yes its do able, and 8 times out of 10 I get it right, , which no doubt some of you will say is good enough, however, for those really long trips, the ability to plot a basic course with some accuracy would be appreciated, it doesn't have to be a gps, you cant bend it, all singing , all dancing, laser accurate, thing, but something that reflects the ability to navigate , as those worth sea Captains had in those days, I find the lack of nav aids annoying, and frustrating, long travel is boring enough without having to dead reckon all over the darn shop.

• Like 1

A few things that would make OW more fun:

• being able to deactivate auto skipper
  • being able to take a sight with your sextant to know (approximately) where you are
  • more bad weather (bigger waves)
  • ship customisation (name, paint, flags...)
  • sailors singing (that was just awesome in Black Flag!)
  • sea life (whales surfacing, dolphins swimming around the ship, sharks...)

I know there are other priorities, but those things would be really nice  :)

Edited by horacio
  • Like 3

Seen a lot of requests for flags etc in OW, as well as in Battle, generally the ensign was only raised when it was deemed necessary, to identify your self to either a friend or a foe , also the use of the "ruse de Guerre" was commonplace, and acceptable as a tactic, as long as the correct colours were hoisted when the engagement was joined. So for open world I would say not needed, however mast pennants were generally present , as they were a good indicator of wind direction, so, I would suggest those being present in OW, and also some mast pennants that are less guady....most of the ones in game seem to be signal flags, and do look a bit out of place, so it would be nice to personalise ( or have the option to) these pennants to taste......also for us nasty 'orrible piratical types, the option to customise the black flag.....and or customisation for Clan Colours.

I really like your ideas and I think to be especially accurate, in open world, either flag or nation shouldn't be visible to show that at the time you could only see if a captain is on one side or another by getting close to it and exchanging signals: that would be in naval action enter in a "battle" instance which we could change in "coutesy" instance, as often when seeing an unknown ship, captains would exchange signal with codes to check the nation of the oponent. In it you could see the nation and it would kind of show the amount of time it takes sometimes to check for real if a captain is really from your nation.

But as the captain or his crew would know a ship as they've seen it so many times, ship you've already seen on an instance can be known from their nation from OW (maybe even the info stay the same if the ship is captured so you have to enter battle with them to know the ship changed hand).

And maybe if you can exchange crew, each crew member could have his ship known list and exchange it with his captain at each "owner" change.

Maybe with that if crew have degrees (experiencelike), the higher the level is the better they are at recognizing ship. For example we could have a forgetting time for each crew member wich increase qith the degrees or a max amount of known ship. as it is each crewmate wouldn't exchange ship list info with other crew mates as it would decrease the amount of ship known by the whole crew. It would maybe push captain to sell crew with great ship kowledge and buy others with ship knowledge the captains don't have.

The captians should have either unlimited ship list or no forgetting time.

With it, it may become neccessary to have ship names, as from afar, you can't recognize a captain but you can recognize a ship. So the display when you click on a ship in OW would be the ship name and the captain wich used to sail it last time you entered battle/courtesy instance with the ship (and the nation as you don't always know it from the name of the captain).

As at the time,information would pass from captain to captain, like wich ship is from whom, you could enter courtesy instance wich would be just like battle instances but not obliged to have canon balls exchanged and all the friendly ships in the instance will exchange their ship list (nation and captain comanding it) and all ships in the instance will be updated to the ship list of each captain.

Also being in a clan will automatically update ship list between clanmates, either instantly or maybe a clan ship list in the clan warehouse would be more historically accurate and immersive. Each time you enter the colonie of the clan warehouse, you update the clan ship list and your personnal ship list (you collect ships info that has been gathered and brought to clan warehouse by clanmates and you update the clan ship list with your informations for other clan mates to collect).

• Like 1

When you have max rank.

XP after that will be turned in Gold.  1-to-1 rate is ok, but could be more.  It is not going to be huge amount of money, but a small additional reward.

Not the most urgent thing.  Also, not the most time taking feature to implement.

When waiting for a duel, do not block the interface.  The same for Large/Small battle as well.

Lock the ship that was selected to be used in the battle, but nothing else.

Then waiting for a battle is not that tedious anymore.  We can still browse shop/ships and craft, etc.

While on the topic of duelling, could we please have a server based leader board, a small change to see how you rank on the server and be able to reference and see how you and the rest of your clan rank in comparison to each other.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

In OW, an informational dialogue that shows the ship you are sailing and its upgrades, and after officers are implemented the dialogue should include each officer and officer type that is on board.  If ship names are added in-game then include the ship name too.

• Like 3

In OW, an informational dialogue that shows the ship you are sailing and its upgrades, and after officers are implemented the dialogue should include each officer and officer type that is on board.  If ship names are added in-game then include the ship name too.

yes - some information would sometimes be nice. What ship am I in, what cannons are mounted, what upgrades,...

I also read and sign the petition for a sextant and would love to see the stormy battles again. I loved the rough sea.

Teleport to Capital.

I think this should be "Teleport to Home", or something similar.

The issue is, that tp-to-c makes everyone to make their home in the c.  Because you can always teleport back there.

With a small change, people will spread out better.  And the meaning of capital will decrease.  Higher change that the map gets populated, instead of just the capital.

Glad we have spyglass in OW but still have to click on ship with mouse to see which nation it sails under. Ships flags in ow would be good.

I love the seagulls but cant hear them or is it just me?

OW is still so sterile and we spend so much time in it.

Bird is the word seagulls as response to ow requests great but if that's as far as it goes :(

A little port dressing for atmosphere. Ship hulks. Just google image HMS trusty in English harbor, Antigua by Geoff Hunt to see what i mean.

Of a day when you sail close to or into harbor you can hear activity. Hammers on wood, repairs, anything.

Of a night would be nice to sit off coast or sail into port to the sounds of the tavern for instance. Laughter, singing. Just loud enough for atmosphere. Doesn't need to be legible so can use for all ports and would be easier to do. Volume directly related to distance.

Would be nice to see ships coming into port sporting the scars of last battle. Even if its just player attacked AI.

More weather.

Rough weather.

Storm missions in open sea for instance for those of us who want to do them.

I hope ow menus will eventually take on the look and style of records kept of the time period.

Crafting app for those of us at work or out and about. Only after final release though.

• Like 1

A few things that would make OW more fun:

• being able to deactivate auto skipper
  • being able to take a sight with your sextant to know (approximately) where you are
  • more bad weather (bigger waves)
  • ship customisation (name, paint, flags...)
  • sailors singing (that was just awesome in Black Flag!)
  • sea life (whales surfacing, dolphins swimming around the ship, sharks...)

I know there are other priorities, but those things would be really nice  :)

I like the idea of ship customisation to a degree. I would love to be able to name my ship.

You could have a limited range of names to choose from or a name generator with limitations. People love being able to personalise their stuff, even if it it restricted, I know I do.

Maybe a limited range of selectable paints for each ship. Even black and white, yellow and white or all black would be a start.

I prefer the idea of ship class rather than 20 x Victory or Constitution sailing around. 

I see plenty of untouchable fleets sailing around the open world, like 6xVics, 6xBellonas and so on, are there any plans to have more realistic numbers such as 1xVic, 2xPavel, 4x3rds and some support ships, much more realistic.

Again, these fleets would look far more believable if they were listed by class not by name.

Please disregard if these points have already been mentioned and forgive my noobieness.

On the smuggler flag option, why is this limited to being set in port?

Be realistic to be able to pick n choose when and what flag to fly, like in real life?

Edited by Jesters-Ink
  • Like 2

- Reset all Marines AND:

- Marines reworked into dettachment numbers, up to company level, instead of crew percentage. (( 1770's there were 5000 signed Marines in 500 companies. ))

- Marines being affected by crew loss. Can be replenished with according salaries, prizes, etc. Same as Crew.

- Marines should not be a reward drop but recruitable.

Introduce Colonial Marines ( militia grade / mercenary ) in the same vein of mechanics but with reduced base fighting ability.