Game-Labs Forum

Preliminary discussion of the changes to conquest - clan wars are coming

I like it!  But as a player who would fit into the "solo pvper not part of a clan" population, even i'm not sold on the "being able to go into any port" idea; we should only be allowed access to free ports, national ports, and war company owned national ports IF the war company so allows it.  We should be allowed outpost teleports to free ports, where as members of war companies are not.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

NO to a merge, its clear that US and EU cant play together because of timers.

But they have suggested that they will bring back port battle timers that the owning War Company can set, so the issue of nightflips/dayflips will be gone, War Companies can set their times to suit their members.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CatSwift said:

I like it!  But as a player who would fit into the "solo pvper not part of a clan" population, even i'm not sold on the "being able to go into any port" idea; we should only be allowed access to free ports, national ports, and war company owned national ports IF the war company so allows it.  We should be allowed outpost teleports to free ports, where as members of war companies are not.

+1 or something like this.

4 hours ago, admin said:

Chartered war companies will not have a warehouse but will use a special port warehouse assigned to a war company by a port (1 warehouse per region)

• Because warehouse is city based if another chartered war company conquers the city (takes control) it will gain access to that warehouse with all belongings including tax money. 
    • This means the chartered war company will lose all tangible assets (with the exception of ships) if they lose the port to another clan

Admin, conceptually how big can or will this warehouse be?  Will it be similar to clan warehouse or limited in space?  And will there be any asset control, as has been suggested for clan warehouses?

Just now, Archaos said:

But they have suggested that they will bring back port battle timers that the owning War Company can set, so the issue of nightflips/dayflips will be gone, War Companies can set their times to suit their members.

Good, so we all agree to go for Aussie daylight flips.

9 minutes ago, Vllad said:

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see you confirm that multiple clans can be part of the same war company.

I dont think they have made it clear yet if you can belong to a clan and a War Company at the same time. So this question is still up in the air.

6 minutes ago, Aventador said:

Okay... but what about a server merge?

^ for the love of god, please. With flags and lord protector, there is no reason to not combine the servers. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, admin said:

thats exactly why we think national gameplay is becoming irrelevant with lower online. Alts ruin it to the extent it becomes unplayable. National infighting or disagreements do not create a unified nation. Its so bad that if some 10 players who you don't know join the port battle on your side you actually never know if they are going to help or interfere - there is not much trust. 

Even simple things will start to work. In reality if a brit was rogue he was demoted and kicked out of the navy (not currently). You will be able to punish rvr players by kicking from clan.

So why Nations at all?  As you said it will be irrelevant with this change. 

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

Sorry but the port battle timers didnt work either, same as the system that allowed nightflips/dayflips.

Lets move forward and never repeat the mistakes of the past.

I believe he is referring to the flag system which admin mentioned earlier.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Arlington said:

So why Nations at all?  As you said it will be irrelevant with this change. 

I get the idea of keeping nations, you need them for port assignments, and well people want a flag to sail under. However, we can drastically reduce the number of nations to let's say 4.

15 minutes ago, Vllad said:

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see you confirm that multiple clans can be part of the same war company.

That is what I invisioned. I still think that the conquest of regions should be allowed but the addition of war companies, clans coming together, to impose economic warfare, etc.

Just now, Intrepido said:

Sorry but the port battle timers didnt work either, same as the system that allowed nightflips/dayflips.

Lets move forward and never repeat the mistakes of the past.

But the difference now will be the War Company can set the time to suit themselves so if you have mainly an EU based War Company you set the 3 hour window same as you have now on the EU server. The only difficulty is attacking ports not in your time zone, but I am sure if you really wanted to attack your War Company could arrange a late night every now and again to take a port. Remember as it is not on a national level you have better control of your port battle setup.

Reading through some of the other posts about Nations becoming irrelevant, I have to agree. If there's no way for Nationals, those that don't want to be part of a war company and/or clan,  to fight against this the game will quickly sour for those that stay out of it. There needs to be a way for them to fight back as well, otherwise national allegiance means nothing.

• Like 1

More polulation in one place means more interaction, means more useful data collection. Its as simple as that.

What does my post count have to do with anything? Just because I don't have a chip on my shoulder and run my mouth evertime I see a post I don't like doesn't mean I don't read. I'm done with this discourse. Have a nice day.

21 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

Then explain yourself.  How can 300 nightly players on PVP global not test this idea?  It requires clans and clans that make war companies.  That's it.  Doable, so quit hashing over the topic that's been discussed already for year or more.  Oh wait, you've read them all in your 48 posts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slamz said:

1) Can you be in a clan and a war company at the same time

2) Can people from different nations be in the same war company

(I think "yes and yes" makes the most sense but let's discuss, if anyone disagrees)

1) from the OP I doubt you can be in both as there is different access to ports for clan players and War Companies, but the Devs have yet to confirm this.

2) I am not too sure I would like different nations in the same War Company as it would raise such questions as what flag do they sail under (lets keep at least some national identity) and it would start getting very confusing. But I would like a politics system where War Companies of different nations could become allies or form pacts.

1 minute ago, Daguse said:

I get the idea of keeping nations, you need them for port assignments, and well people want a flag to sail under. However, we can drastically reduce the number of nations to let's say 4.

Why reduce the number of nations? It won't achieve anything if the whole nation-vs-nation element will primarily be reduced to OW PvP. The only thing I can see such a move doing is alienating people who can no longer sail for their chosen nation. If these changes do happen and the RvR focus becomes clan based rather than nation, then I see no issue with retaining all of the current nations (bar pirates, who should have their own mechanics).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slamz said:

1) Can you be in a clan and a war company at the same time

(I think "yes and yes" makes the most sense but let's discuss, if anyone disagrees)

To me, I'm not sure why you'd really want to be in both, based on what admin posted, because not only port access but the group goals would be different between the two entities.

12 minutes ago, oleander said:

Reading through some of the other posts about Nations becoming irrelevant, I have to agree. If there's no way for Nationals, those that don't want to be part of a war company and/or clan,  to fight against this the game will quickly sour for those that stay out of it. There needs to be a way for them to fight back as well, otherwise national allegiance means nothing.

When you are not in a war company you have easy mode. Only other nations will be able to attack you at the OW all ports will be accessible (or at least your national ones which cant be lost) . The only thing you have to worry about are taxes. There is no need for national alliances anymore.

This hole war company clan war stuff is about to seperate RvR players from the rest. Its proven that only a small percentage of players is really involed into RvR. But that few can ruin the game for many. So with that changes all RvR intrested people can challenge each other without to interfere with people who are not interested into conquest. The only point of contact are the taxes.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

To me, I'm not sure why you'd really want to be in both, based on what admin posted, because not only port access but the group goals would be different between the two entities.

I think the goal there would be that your "clan" is a collection of your friends, whereas a "war company" could be a collection of like-minded clans. This allows for lots of cool interactions, such as clans changing war companies because of disputes between other clans who make up said war company.

I also like the idea of clans of other nations being able to join war companies. This allows for player made alliances out of the box, as well as all those mercenary company scenarios everyone brings up.  Need some night flippers to help round out your war company, but all of your members are EU? Entice/hire/connive/whatever a clan from another timezone (regardless of their "nation") to join your war company.

Edited by CatSwift
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, admin said:

Nations will allow chartered war companies to freely attack each other even if they belong to the same nation. This will allow chartered war companies to settle score between each other if they believe someone is interfering with their chartered activities

So, ports/regions will still be part of a Nation but they will be in the end controlled by chartered war clans, and wars between clans from the same Nation will be a thing now?

3 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

It's an organizational issue, mainly.

PURGE has not merged with BORK because we are different clans with different styles and histories. We work together a lot but we are different entities. If the game makes us merge into a single War Company in order to do RvR then it creates organizational confusion. Internally we are going to continue to be different clans, but I guess we will no longer be labeled as such??

"The Purge" has a long history spanning many games with our own leadership and rank structure and forums and Teamspeak rental server and so forth. We are not going to fully merge with another clan because of a test in Naval Action, so it's almost like NA is dropping support for clans. Effectively.

So the War Company will have like 50 French in it and I'll have little idea of who is who or where they came from because really it will be about 6 different clans in there, unlabeled and unclanned now.

Also, it would screw up our economy which is running smoothly based on the clan warehouse.

We will definitely not use a "War Company" warehouse that can be raided, btw. We'll go back to the bad old days of internal trading between members.