Game-Labs Forum

Preliminary discussion of the changes to conquest - clan wars are coming

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

I have mixed feelings about this..  I feel it will cause the loss of the feel of each nation.   Instead it will be all about the clans and not about the nation.

same. I like the idea of being PVP focused only and raiding when I want. But damn, no nation to stand with. 

The only part I'm worried about is players of different nations being able to enter the same port, as this would be an easy way to snipe players..

17 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

However, this would cause multi-national War Companies an issue.

If this is an issue, I say then don't allow Capitals to be fought over at all then.

4 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

I'd be interested to see only 6th & 7th rates allowed in cross-faction ports... and only can enter during the night cycle of the game.

+1 Agreed!

Edited by Prater
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Christendom said:

EVE with sails.  and I'm ok with that.  The game needs more players to test a system like this.  I think it's time to merge the servers and get the band back together @rediii  :-)

No, all they need to do is finish the product and have everything people liked about it. Then send Emails with gifts to all people who purchased the game and get them back in the game. We don't need anymore testers, game has suffered way too much damage at this point. 

Edited by Lordicious
  • Like 2

@admin

I do see the potential but also see a few problems.

#1 If the map resets and nation ports are frozen all conquest players would logically join Spain to be able to teleport around the map. Resulting in almost all war companies joining the Spanish nation.  USA, Dutch, Sweden, Pirates and Denmark would be very unattractive nations for war companies.  So war companies would be centered in Spain, GB and France.

#2 Players using regular clan warehouses may be reluctant to switch into war companies if they can not maintain their original non-war clan at the same time. 

#3 Econ is effected as a strong war clan can capture all the ports producing certain raw materials. For example the East India war company could own all White Oak producing ports and max the taxes on this commodity to all others.  The Hanseatic league could control a region of the map by gaining all OAK producing ports and raising taxes 25% thereby driving out all non-Hanseatic Econ players.

#4 Taxes on trade goods can result in wealth hoarding by war companies. example Textile mills or Parisian furniture with a 25% tax become problematic commodities to anyone other than that war clan.

Not all bad but something to consider.

Edited by Bach

I think I understand the various itches that this solution is trying to scratch but I think it puts too much emphasis on the clans and makes the game even more confusing and inscrutable to new players. It also raises the importance of being a member of a clan which as much as I love my clan and playing with those guys I'm not sure if it's the best for the game as a whole.

I think it's important to note the feedback (and complaints) found on the forum are heavily skewed to big clan members and people with tons of hours in the game. The masses of people joining the game, getting frustrated and leaving after two hours of play are not coming here and leaving feedback about their experience. Hopefully the devs have some data, and not just the ramblings found here, to support these changes.

• Like 4

Just now, Mrgoldstein said:

yes and to escape, if im being cased by swedish in sweed waters, i can just enter a swedish port and escape...ridiculous

I can just imagine it now, you sail from a port in a nice juicy Indiaman, closely followed by a French player from the same port, who is in turn followed by a Dane and then a Spaniard etc. It will be utter confusion, who can tag who? will the all end up in one battle or will different battles happen?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

But clans and war companies are two different things, it sounds like multiple clans can join together into one war company. 

You will still have your clan, but you will have allies that you RvR with :)

I hope it plays out as cut and dry as that but I doubt it will.  But we shall see. 

2 minutes ago, Bach said:

For example the East India war company could own all White Oak producing ports and max the taxes on this commodity to all others

I think the tax will affect all, including themselves !? I may be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Bart Smith said:

Dont forget to rework pirate mechanics with this - 5 rate maximum should be works fine for riding ports and try plunder warehouses.

100% agree, if nations mean nothing... then the pirates don't need one. 4-5 rate max and let them raid the hell out of ports. 

2 minutes ago, Bart Smith said:

Dont forget to rework pirate mechanics with this - 5 rate maximum should be works fine for riding ports and try plunder warehouses.

Oh that just brings up a whole knew load of bile in my throat thinking about that.

With this new suggestion by the admin, why shouldnt everyone be pirate?  That way we can just attack everyone everywhere at anytime regardless of nation or clan.   I mean not like the Pirates have anything making them NOT like any other nation.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Red Duke said:

I think the tax will affect all, including themselves !? I may be wrong.

so I tax my self and then get the money back? Is there a % that is lost from taxes?  

2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Oh that just brings up a whole knew load of bile in my throat thinking about that.

With this new suggestion by the admin, why shouldnt everyone be pirate?  That way we can just attack everyone everywhere at anytime regardless of nation or clan.   I mean not like the Pirates have anything making them NOT like any other nation.  

yeah they do... they can attack each other and hide from screening fleets prior to PBs. 

Edited by Daguse

I like the idea of clan wars very much. It makes sense that choosing a weak nations ruins your gameplay experience.

One thing about taxing:

1 hour ago, admin said:

Nations will start taxing all activities in the caribbean (stamp tax) on all purchases, mining or forestry and player to player trade

Almost all economic activity is in the capital region, or in free towns. The incentive to get regions for tax revenues is actually pretty small.

Each capital region has almost all the materials needed for ships, cannons and repairs (iron, oak, fir, hemp etc.). No need for further activities away from the capital region. Unless you want to produce materials nearer to the frontline, for example in Port au Prince as Sweden.

Trading goods are mostly produced in free towns.

So the only economic activities for taxes will be generated by the coal ports, the rare wood ports and SOME ports which produce trading goods.

37 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

Nations as a whole will form War Companies, I expect.  So all of France will likely be "Napoleon's Guards."  

...which was basically my point.  Why bother if all you're doing is creating a new "nation" mechanic which aside from what limits you place on it end up with the same problems the old mechanic did?

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I honestly think this is all a step in the right direction, but what I'd like to see is divorce players from nations all together. For a long time I've asked for players to start out "nation-less" and instead have reputations with each nation. The more trade, PvE, and PvP against/for a nation that a player does, have that contribute to the % tax, likelihood on a fort to fire, etc. on individual players or on individual war clans, etc.

Leave the nations a backdrop to the social aspect to the game, make it interact with it, but don't make the tapestry of the nations be the canvas. Let clans and players form their own relationships with nation states.  

^^ This right here.  To then enter a nation's ports, you have to have decent relations with that nation.  Attack that nation's players or ai too many times, and you can't enter their ports anymore.  So everyone starts off neutral, and anyone can attack anyone, but you will harm your relations with that nation by attacking them.  Pirates, of course, would start off negative with everyone.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Daguse said:

so I tax my self and then get the money back? Is there a % that is lost from taxes?  

Hope so. Upkeep is a necessity and expected :o in a scenario like we still have, NPC nations, let alone what is coming.

3 minutes ago, Prater said:

^^ This right here.  To then enter a nation's ports, you have to have decent relations with that nation.  Attack that nation's players or ai too many times, and you can't enter their ports anymore.  So everyone starts off neutral, and anyone can attack anyone, but you will harm your relations with that nation by attacking them.  Pirates, of course, would start off negative with everyone.

Good kickoff for reputation/infamy.

How i see this is it will be a good way to see how it works but if you think about it it may be a smart move to have this temporary test phase.

If the fact is that this change will totally break the game and players will abandon it because of this be ready to roll it back to former state.

3 minutes ago, Prater said:

Yep maybe the player rights to entry all ports is something that needs to be reviewed with more scrutiny. But thats exactly the reason why we post this here in advance for discussions. 

• Like 15