Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.06 Feedback<<< (FINAL UPDATE 6th Release Candidate)

On the topic of gun barrels again, I overall like the initial idea of having longer and shorter weapons, but very much would request a revision of their effects on accuracy at least.

As was mentioned in this thread earlier, long guns, especially maxed out have unreasonably high accuracy for what their historical precedent. A ship with elongated 2 inch casemates probably shouldn't have over 60% accuracy shooting at much of anything in the year 1890. Shorter guns being the polar opposite, where if you do minimum length 20 inch cannons, the best accuracy you can get is ~33%, even when you combine all the possible techs for them and crew training.

Ideally, these effects should be working parabolically instead of the (seemingly) current method of linear buffs or nerfs based on the cannon length. The strongest effects for a longer barrel should take effect immediately, and then taper off much more, and the effects for a shorter barrel should be slightly less pronounced as you begin, and then ramp up as you continue to remove rifling.

Also separately, it seems you have updated the ship on fire effects, but it is causing a dramatic framerate decrease on my lower spec PC to the point I have to reduce the graphics preset to low, and then adjust from there. It would be nice if that was investigated into.

Edited by AdmiralObvious

6 hours ago, BuckleUpBones said:

I But every game I've played with modding in EA has just been fine, where is the warrant then?

That is kinda limited dataset and only from end user perspective where you have no idea what is happening in the background. My experience differ both as gamer and as professional from SW industry.

I am not gonna defend Game Labs (they do a lot of things wrong in so many ways) but here they actually took a professional decision which is very unpopular but right thing to do.

But each to their own.

• Like 1

I am out for the 1.06 cycle and likely for about a year. It is just not fun. Pitch/Roll and weight center calculations are massively off. One cannot design decent 1890's ships. The citadel mechanism is a nice idea but implementation is a catastrophy. Even unarmored TB's have a "citadel" which massively affects their design.

Pitch/Roll/Weight Center calculations are unrealistically punishiung at the moment.

And that is just the designer. The spotting mechanism is still hopelssly mired in an arcade concept.

With the additional encyption of the savegame one cannot generate fun any more by editing money/tech and ameliorating the current immaturity of the campaign game. This also makes me apprehensive for the future. Luckily RTW3 is coming to Steam in October. The "better" graphics presentation of UA:Dreadnoughts does not matter if the fundamentals stay as broken as they are now.

• Like 2

So, me again with a bit more :

1. Formations are still broken. Vessels following the lead ship still overtake these or swing from side to side so not to ram the lead vessel. That is mitigated by always being at flank speed (though the issue is not eliminated).
    Trying to get your fleet into a decent formation is nearly impossible before engaging the enemy, even when switching off the „Avoid Collision“ button, often resulting in a mixed-up fleet that presents a wonderful target for enemy torpedo storms. Luckily, you can now turn into torpedoes, often resulting in "dud torpedoes", but given the AIs preferrence of torpedoes, that only helps a bit.
    Torpedoes now explode spectaculary when hit. Cool :). Yet, why does this always happen to my launchers and even the underwater-mounted ones...?

2. Building a ship that is balanced is almost impossible, even more so in early ages. Many ships roll and pitch heavily, resulting in unstable firing platforms. Side-mounted torpedoes in later-year light cruisers is next to impossible, for the ship rolls so heavily, that it cannot hope to frequently hit with it's guns.

3. Building a later-year german battlecruiser with a high-efficiency engine is impossible, for the more efficient funnels can only be mounted on the hull, not the superstructure. Mounting them on the hull not only looks ugly, be also elongates the superstructure, resulting in a higher pitch. Also, 15 inch guns 8or larger) of the latest tech can no longer be mounted even on the largest bridge module, something that was possible in the earlier version. Yes, one can mount a 37.9cm gun, but I find that a bit disturbing.

4. The addition of citadels seem to be a nice feature, at least to this point. Nice.

5. Adjusting calibers is a two-edged sword. I find it really cool to be able to now mount
    88mm AAA or 420mm main guns, but the AI now mounts strange calibers, like
    392mm guns, hindering my immersion. Also, the ability to adjust caliber length is nice,
    BUT a 420mm gun with 20% higher length is a devasting and extremely accurate thing,
    even at extreme range, potentially unbalacing the game. In a custom game, my german
    BB with 20% longer 450mm guns one-hittet a russion super BB with 112000 tons.
    And, no, it was not paper-thin armored. Really, it one-hittet it, resulting in an ammo-
    detonation which ripped it apart. Ah, it was the first salvo.

6. When playing the campaign, I have to restart the game after each turn. When clicking „Next Turn“, the screen says „Building Ship“, switching to „Adjusting Relationship“, reverting
    to „Building Ships“ and doing nothing. I can return to the main menu, an continue the
    campaign, but after clicking next turn, I have to repeat the same thing.

7. I still do not get how battles are generated. At the beginning of the war, the AI hits me
    with everything it got, resulting in a lopsided battle. Yes, I usually win this one.
    Now, after researching the dreadnought hull and creating to strong fleets...nothing. These
    patrol the enemy coast, I am switching between „Sea Control“, „Invade“ and „Protect“ orders, but no battle. Once I split the fleet into smaller forces...BAM! A battle pops
    up against stronger enemy forces. So the enemy always seems to control the
    initiative, regardless of what I do.

8. I am also very disspointed that modding the game is no longer possible. I understand
    that from a designer point of view, bug reports are a problem, but it severally limits
    the fun especially when playing in later years.
    To satisfy devs and players, could you perhaps add a selection screen to adjust shipyard size
    and starting money?

9. When an event pops up involving enemy admirals, there seems to be a problem with his
    nationality. I have seen admiral Togo being an austrian-hungarian admiral or Miklos
    Horthy a german one.

10. Fleets spawn in strange locations. Worst was when four of my AH armored
    cruisers spawned in the midst of a far superior italian fleet. Fun fact : My cruisers
    sported a lot of torpedo tubes. While ultimately losing the battle and all four were sunk,
    I took six battleships, two armored cruisers, two light cruisers and three destroyers with
    me. But, well, you get my point.

11. Gun dispersion seems to be much better now, shelly landing nearer to the
    targetted vessels.

12. Ah, speaking of being blind. I cannot seem to spot the enemy before the AI can
    spot me, regardless of what I do and how I build my ships. I thought that it would be
    a problem with German towers being inferior, but the same happens when I play
    other nations. Since the AI loves to plaster it's ships with small-caliber guns, and therefore adding signature, I do not know why this happens.

13. That is a lot of negatives, I know and I am sorry for that. I like the game and I want it to succeed. I understand that you guys are in a difficult situation and I hope you are safe.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Darth Khyron said:

6. When playing the campaign, I have to restart the game after each turn. When clicking „Next Turn“, the screen says „Building Ship“, switching to „Adjusting Relationship“, reverting
to „Building Ships“ and doing nothing. I can return to the main menu, an continue the
campaign, but after clicking next turn, I have to repeat the same thing.

Same issue here, starting date, country etc. doesnt change anything about it.

PS: Progress report the left side is showing some changes and button on the right switches to "Next Turn" but everything stays greyed out with ->

image.png.7101ea3bd3cea496fd382f679683c0d5.png

Edited by Zombie1914

I just had a really weird sequence of events.

I play as Austria in a 1900 start. In 1901 Germany and the UK went to war and the game informed me that I was not in an alliance with Germany. My flag showed up longside Germany's on the left window, but no war-VP counter on the right.

Then France joined in the war against Germany and still everything normal with the flags.

Then the UK declared war on me, followed one round later by France.

And now I am at war with the UK and France and this is clearly visible in the right window. But the left window shows my flag alongside the UK flag opposed to Germany.

Also when I hit nest turn the game freezes on Building Ships. I've let the game run for 15 mintues the first time, restarted the game and it happened again (though I shut the game down after just 5 mintues the second time).

I backed the save-file up in a 7z archive if you want it for analysis, but the forum doesn't allow anything other than images and videos apparently, so I'd need an e-mail to sent it to.

On a semi-related note: Is there any way to delete some of my old pictures to free up space when they are in a locked thread and I'm no longer allowed to edit the original post?

my 1890 german campaign ended after  I won a war against the Uk.

I thought ti was suppose to go on?

Other then that, I can mirror alot of the problems raised (mostly skipping this thread):

Balance ships in 1890 are impossible and I have TB in 1980 with 4 torpedo tubs and still tonnage left over.

Formations are bad, "screen" as starting Position is a nightmare, you sometimes get the odd battle where everyone is on top of each other.

7 hours ago, Dirlinger said:

That is kinda limited dataset and only from end user perspective where you have no idea what is happening in the background. My experience differ both as gamer and as professional from SW industry.

I am not gonna defend Game Labs (they do a lot of things wrong in so many ways) but here they actually took a professional decision which is very unpopular but right thing to do.

But each to their own.

I disagree with this being a professional decision, this decision takes away from the fun, I've rolled back to 1.05 and am keeping an archive of it to restore incase i launch UA:D when steam is online as I've disabled it updating unless I run the game, and we all know if i put steam in offline it won't update a game. If the save files remain encrypted I won't be testing any newer versions nor providing feedback, I'll continue to mod 1.05 because that would be the last best version of the game.

It will also affect my future purchasing decisions. There was no reason to do this, they can simply check for modded save files in their report bug feature, it shouldn't be hard to implement a system that indentifies when the save_01 or custombattle files were modified outside of the game, and if its that modding the game makes it crash if you tweak stuff, then allow that to happen, make it crash if you increase or decrease gun barrel or beam beyond what the game allows.

Edited by Candle_86
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dave P. said:

My cat accidentally hit a button that brought up a in game bug report screen; what happened and how do I get that back?

Strg/CTRL + J = Bug Report

Also has a button (hard to see) in the top right, next to the settings.

Edited by Zombie1914
clarification
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave P. said:

My cat accidentally hit a button that brought up a in game bug report screen; what happened and how do I get that back?

it should be on the top right of the screen in allmodes. it wil look like a cockroach i think

• Like 1

Well... had fun with it for about an hour before coming to the sad conclusion that deck penetrations are still hilariously OP.

Had a battleship get flash fired through 18.5" of turret roof armour at 20km by... drumroll... a 12" gun. The angle of impact was around 70 from the vertical, meaning the effective armour thickness was over twice the above no matter what formulas you use.

I'm still laughing as I write this 😂 really quite impressive that the developers have gone to such lengths to add realistic features like torpedo duds and fully modelled citadels, and yet have also failed so miserably at understanding basic armour penetration or bothered to teach their ships to sail in a regular line formation.

This isn't merely unrealistic anymore, it's a full on joke!

• Like 4

Some feedback from my sessions in the game as of late. (Bear in mind I usually do 1890 starts)

Mission Spawner - the mission spawner still spawns weird missions where its like 1 battleship is up against a hoard of torpedo boats and a few heavy cruisers, despite that battleship being in a fleet and so the whole fleet should also be pulled in.

Balancing - The balancing is pretty extreme even on battleships. On torpedo boats an light cruisers the pitching is especially bad as it's always in the red even though I'm using the samke generic light cruiser design as usual.

As a final note as Draco mentioned above I also had a flash fire moment causing the death of one of my battleships, by guns fielded by a heavy cruiser, despite having belt armour thick enough to prevent battleship sized shells going through and deck armour which should have been sufficient.

• Like 2

Armor seems very wrong now, i am seeing all the time small guns penetrating armour which they shouldn't.

Go try, for example, the Gun Basics 1 mission, i got the battleship oneshotted by the 105 mm gun from CL, through main belt, twice in a row in two attempts.

• Like 1

I think that there are some urgent issues that need to be addressed

1. Custom gun calibers are very nice addition to game however the implementation is bit buggy. The problem is increasing caliber does not increase reload time which in turn allows to create "almost gun caliber" but with increased reload rate. It also increases accuracy too much. You can create 1890 battleship with 100% accuracy at 1000 meters and 59% at 2,500.

2. Custom calibers also highlight another issue, a "mark" gap. I mean why bother using mark III 406mm cannon when mark IV 381mm with increased caliber to maximum is superior in every way?

3. And for some reason my new 1890 campaign ended after first war.

4. I have confirmed only just now but when designing modern battleships after placing few batteries game decides to not use full power of my Gpu like it usually does and thus game drops from 50-60 FPS to 4. I'm using Nvdia although I doubt that it changes anything

Overall beta update is quite nice, especially since you can use "exploits" to absolutely wreak havoc on AI but I guess it is not intended to happened.

Increasing caliber/lenght buffs too strong. 

Axies of ship too unbalanced.

1890 TB with 6x torpedo tubes also too strong. Btw, there's huge jump of engine weight on step 31.9->32, like 30 or 40t. 

12" turret weight less than 11". Turret guns have weight like 1/10 of casemate's ones. Overall need rebalance guns.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jkl said:

Btw, there's huge jump of engine weight on step 31.9->32, like 30 or

If you look back in the patch notes you will find this tonnage increase after a certain speed is an implemented thing. All water craft have something called "hull speed". That is the fastest you can go displacing the water around you as you travel. To go over this is very hard to do by just applying more power...so the need for much most engine to gain just 0.1 speed more. The hull design you are using must have a hull speed of 31.9, other hulls will vary but have the same added feature....its not a bug but it is a very good simulation of IRL design.

12 hours ago, Dirlinger said:

But each to their own.

This game is perfectly suited for modding. As with other games who allow extensive modding. Developers should bite the f💪n bullet and get in and do the hard yards, like everyone else.

Btw, what is professionalism? you could say it's sacrifice, sacrifice for the player needs.  

Posts are popping up all over the place, a lot of people edit the save file. That should be telling the developers 2 things, 1) people want to play the campaign differently to what’s intended. 2) developers are underestimating how many players actually edit the save files.

Satisfy the need, sacrifice yours. Come-on Game Labs.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, BuckleUpBones said:

This game is perfectly suited for modding. As with other games who allow extensive modding. Developers should bite the f💪n bullet and get in and do the hard yards, like everyone else.

Btw, what is professionalism? you could say it's sacrifice, sacrifice for the player needs.  

Posts are popping up all over the place, a lot of people edit the save file. That should be telling the developers 2 things, 1) people want to play the campaign differently to what’s intended. 2) developers are underestimating how many players actually edit the save files.

Satisfy the need, sacrifice yours. Come-on Game Labs.

I'm afraid I disagree. Don't get me wrong I liked to edit the save file as well but they they have clearly stated that it causes more bugs which hinders feedback which is the point of early access testing. Now when the game goes fully live I agree they should unlock it and allow modding but it's just not ready yet

• Like 3