Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.06 Feedback<<< (FINAL UPDATE 6th Release Candidate)

starting budgets in the campaign need to be increased tenfold, since the measly amount of funds you get aren't going to build even 3 decent battleships, let alone a whole nation's navy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

This cannot reproduced generally. Can you remember which gun was it? Nation, Year, Mark, would help.

British guns around the 8" / 9" caliber in 1890 start on my first few heavy cruisers was when I got the bug.

Yeah sorry, this is hello kittyed.

You get 1 battle per year.  I had again a battle of a task force against a single cloaked destroyer in bad weather, but this time the DD was french not british so ofc completely different. The task force then got the magic carpet back home again.  Then a year later an acutall normal battle.

And now this:

5YQibJS.jpg

So the game is telling me for years it couldnt find a single french fleet to fight altough I left massive task forces as well as small ones like 2 CA 2 DD scattered all over the place as well as ships in port? An then it throws hello kittying 40 french ships at me? Honesly I could probably sink them without to much issue, but I rather quit than play this.

Nothing else makes any sense as well, really. I have now around 200 % (yes double) transport capacity and yet economy growth goes up and down (read into the negativ) for no reason while literally nothing has happend.

Wars "start" and then "end", not that you would notice because nations at peace may still find fighting each other. But since you dont get battles, you dont notice. I think the problem is here the "overall war" is still going on - with all 5 of 2 alliances nations having at least 1 war going on. So ofc all 5 nations WILL NEVER BE AT PEACE mutally with everyone ever again and thus the game considers it to be the same war that is still raging.

Research is a joke. You think you would be limited by funds, but no, I got a thousand millions now in the bank that I cant spend. Got 80 ships - more than I need since there arent battles. It also makes no sense to build new one due to no losses and no technlological progress. 10 years ingame have elapsed and I havent unlocked a single hull. NOT A SINGLE ONE. Still BB1, CA1, CL1, TB1 alltough the shipyard with the next expansion should be able to build a Dreadnought Type ship ............

edit: I should elapse on the research: The slide was always on full. Tech level is average - same as 3 of the other nations except GB wich was "behind" and is now "very behind" -see screen: I autoed that battle above because I am not going to continue that campaign.

digM7Bo.png

Edited by havaduck

17 hours ago, Werwaz said:

Stuff that could be improved:

• I would like to still have the standard and advanced hydraulic turrets in late era ships in order to save weight for other uses though, since the new citadels add additional weight on top of the main armor scheme.
  • "Barbette" module probably should be renamed to something more like "Damage Control" now that we have proper barbettes, seeing that it mostly gives survivability buffs against flash fires and ammo detonations.

I agree with these suggestions. The barbette option needs to be refocussed as a damage control/limitation tech.

French Armoured Cruiser IV & Armoured Cruiser III 

It seems 5 inch single turret Mark 2 has a much larger hitbox than it looks, blocking guns superfiring over it.

Sponson mounted 8 inch guns cannot fire over 5 inch when they have enough clearance.
And 8 inch aft turret also being blocked by sponson mounted 5 inch

20220529080217_1.jpg

20220529080403_1.jpg

• Like 1

Got this event, is this an event that leads to war? The problem is we are already at war (see left top). Should peacetime events happen in wartime? Assassination in wartime is a good thing, isn't it!

rPeWQwH.png

Screenshot after clicking the first option, War...erupted...ah...hmm...continues..!

cV1WJOU.png

Also in the second option, note the $118,933,100 (-100%) funds, because this is so high the choice is a 'no-brainer', too crippling of an option. 

Edited by Skeksis

3 hours ago, Dave P. said:

Hhmmm... looks like somebody AES-encrypted the save_0.json file. Hooray...

unfortunate, but not unexpected. looks like I cant just go back and hack in a workable amount of money in the campaign anymore... cause most of the time they only give you enough money to build a few battleships compared to the AI horde.

And not only that, but all of the save files are encrypted. 

Y'all gotta remember that this is a single player game, and so hacking/editing save files isn't a bad thing.

• Like 3

my campaign ended when I got germany and Austria to sign a peace deal as Britain. I only asked for Heligoland, never even got a peace treaty screen with Austria. Never went to war with Italy (also not allied to them). Seems like campaign still just ends as normal if you finish any war.

26 minutes ago, Werwaz said:

unfortunate, but not unexpected. looks like I cant just go back and hack in a workable amount of money in the campaign anymore... cause most of the time they only give you enough money to build a few battleships compared to the AI horde.

And not only that, but all of the save files are encrypted. 

Y'all gotta remember that this is a single player game, and so hacking/editing save files isn't a bad thing.

This is purely from the developers end because no one has complain about being able to mod. And yes, not unexpected because developers have indicated such direction before but people were hoping they wouldn't.

Frankly, I do not understand why developers want to cut modding from this market, it makes no sense at all. Who cares if owners of this game mod? 

Yes, it is criticism. 

• Like 3

I agree it really stinks that the save is AES encrypted, it makes me want to go back to 1.05 and simply backup that version to play going forward

@Nick Thomadis Is this only for beta testing to stop us mucking about the save file, or going forward will the save_01 and custombattle json files be encrypted even in non beta builds?

Edited by Candle_86

Well, I am going to be the one to tell an unpopular opinion but in early access phase of game development, modding causes lot of issues and extra work for devs/QA, especially when basic functionality of the game is still changing from release to release.

Editing save file obviously caused extra works for devs since they posted message about it on steam forums (https://steamcommunity.com/app/1069660/discussions/0/3265680184992954891/)

After the game is released, I am all for the modding/hacking your own game however you want.

PS:

Relaxed attitude to modding in alpha state also can cause unintended issues from end user perspective, eg. when product managers/devs get lazy and postpone fixing functionality because "mods will fix that". There are several EA games on steam that suffer from this.

5 hours ago, Dirlinger said:

Well, I am going to be the one to tell an unpopular opinion but in early access phase of game development, modding causes lot of issues and extra work for devs/QA, especially when basic functionality of the game is still changing from release to release.

Editing save file obviously caused extra works for devs since they posted message about it on steam forums (https://steamcommunity.com/app/1069660/discussions/0/3265680184992954891/)

After the game is released, I am all for the modding/hacking your own game however you want.

PS:

Relaxed attitude to modding in alpha state also can cause unintended issues from end user perspective, eg. when product managers/devs get lazy and postpone fixing functionality because "mods will fix that". There are several EA games on steam that suffer from this.

I believe that is the excuse Game Labs prefer. But every game I've played with modding in EA has just been fine, where is the warrant then?

Given Game Labs track record, if they say they are going to do something, they will, and do, and never look back. Referencing Naval Action.

If developers don't reverse soon, I'm afraid modding is gone for good. And along with that steam workshop, file sharing and a shit load of customers who just have to lump it.

Edited by BuckleUpBones
  • Like 2

In naval artillery "caliber" refers to how many bores long the barrel is from breech to muzzle. Arguably, part of the turret assembly weight should be allocated to elevation gear and not impact reload time since the shell and powder loads don't inherently change.

Guns produced close together generally have the same, or similar, elevation rates despite being of different bores/calibers; see British 14"/45 M2, 4, & 5 vs 13.5"/45 M5 L & H, also USN 14"/50 M7, 11, & B vs 14"/45 M8, 9, 10, & 12. (navweaps.com)

If a given nation can produce a range of guns in 9" bore during a given year then the calibers of those guns should all have close elevation rates.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PalaiologosTheGreat said:

Had a weird bug where I capitulated the German Empire and then we had a peace treaty and then the campaign ended like regular. 

Had it twice. Seems the campaign still fully ends if you reach a peace in any form

Had a nice 2 year long 1910 start UK campaign, task forces and fleets seemed to move around well, even on Insane difficulty I didnt encounter 20 to 1 battles, only 10 to 1 battles that I was able to come out victorious on. General mission generation seemed better. It of course ended after AH surrendered.

This was made befor the patch with the fund increase, was able to build 10 ~26mil BBs, it was ether that or build similar off the battle cruiser hull. All avalable heavy cruiser hulls were worthless in the dreadnought age, the 1 modern for 1910 light cruiser hull has this issue of lifeboats being static and blocking any effective side weapons mounted, and no deck tops are even unlocked in 1910 for them yet anyway. Destroyers are too easily 1 shot to bother with, so realy just BBs/BCs where the only thing worth building, espesualy in the golden age of the 12 inch gun, and it's imbalanced base accuracy.

Most of the AI also had 10 BBs too, and 50 other ships, but all those BBs had cordite 1, and were all destroyed by a single penatrating hit anywhere. They weren't even that poorly protected, it's just the math is out of control for flash fire chance on the more volatile powders and should be cut in half imo.

Maxing out barrel length does wild things. All my 2 inch guns piling up chip damage out to 10k range, and main gun accuracy is better than a 1940s radar assisting targeting. On the other hand choped barrels can get you single digit accuracy at point blank range, a d comicly slow moveing shells. At the very least I think the reload and accuracy penalty/bonus for barrel leangth should both be cut in half, each effect is too dramatic, and I can't see why barrel length would even effect reload at all, gun diameter would, needing to handle larger shells and all.

A long barrel length should have aim speed, weight, cost, and traverse speed penalties, and muzzle velocity thus damage, and range bonuses, maybe a minor accuracy bonus at long range for longer barrels, and a short rage accuracy bonus for shorter barrels.

Edited by Fangoriously
  • Like 1

So, economic aspect of the campaign is... very important for the player (keeping your ships running and keeping your job), but needs work. Starting with the commerce raiding mechanic - seems broken.

Playing as AH:

Able to get the UK to sue for peace without ever actually battling them, simply by auto-sinking their transports in the  Eastern Med and harvesting the VP. (The UK AI never even sent ships into the Med.)

As the AI-controlled UK economy tanked, not only did they end up with negative GDP, but the "growth" value appears to be treated as a multiplier - with a negative GDP and positive growth, their GDP just goes further and further into the negative every turn.

(See screencaps)

Playing as the UK:

I lose tons of transports in the eastern Med. I can station ships down there and that helps for a turn or two, but if they get in a fight, whether they get damaged or not, then randomly teleport back to the mainland. It then takes 3-4 turns for them to return, during which period I lose transports. So it ends up being luck of the draw whether I get large fleet encounters and rack up enough VP to get AH to sue for peace before my economy gets divided by zero. (An option to force an engagement by bombarding a port or something would be really handy.)

Maybe I'm nuts, but port capacity seems to be used to decide whether ships get teleported home or not? It would be nice to be able to upgrade ports if this is the case.

Also, taking 3-4 months to travel from the UK to the eastern med seems... a bit much? I don't know much about moving warships long distances, but ports.com says London to Greece is a 2 week trip at 10knts.

So, anyway, back to being AH, because yikes:

At war with Germany. Parked 12k "presence" point fleets in North Sea and Baltic, 3:1 advantage over anybody else. But it didn't sink any German transports or initiate a blockade. I'll have to try a few other variations (like trying to blockade the UK as France) but it's almost like the blockade and commerce raiding mechanic is only set up to pay attention to certain factions when deciding whose transports are getting shot at?

20220529020430_1.jpg

20220529020858_1.jpg

Here's my feedback.

This game is getting worse with each update rather than better.  Long-standing issues have not been addressed and in many cases are being made worse over time. 

1)  Battleship radios should not weigh more than entire, functioning destroyers.  I've said in the past I'm going to mention it until it gets fixed.  But at this point the sheer number of issues being ignored is slowly convincing me that this game is a lost cause.

2)  Small ships remain stupidly tough, and no one who has play-tested their own game can fail to see this.  Yet the issue has not been dealt with.  Cruisers eat 16" shells for breakfast, destroyers take half a dozen or more torpedoes of 21, 22, 23, and 24 inch size and keep fighting.

This is beyond infuriating and is part of the reason torpedoes are so damn broken in this game.  (More on that in a minute.)  But small ships can absorb so much freaking firepower that should you manage to hit them, it doesn't really matter.  You simply cannot stop them from running up on you and filling you with torpedoes.  And secondaries?  Ha!  What is a 5" gun to a destroyer that can survive a hit from a 24" torpedo, or 16-inch BCHE shell?

3)  The game is still Ultimate Admiral - Torpedoes, except now my torpedoes have high dud chances and routinely veer off course.  AI torpedoes veer off-course around 1/8 it seems, but after playing an entire campaign I never had a single AI torpedo that hit me prove to be a dud.  Meanwhile the AI continues to maintain a fetish for torpedoes.

4)  More campaign bugs!  I've sunk every battleship, and battlecruiser both the British and French have, and still I'm blockaded by both of them.

5)  Somehow I keep managing to lose battles where no ships were sunk and I inflicted more damage and casualties on the enemy than he inflicted on me.

6)  When choosing to build one's own fleet, the game does not provide nearly enough money to build a reasonable fleet.  Thus far every time I design my own fleet, I have to fight my way out of blockades (which I can't even do any more thanks to permanent blockade).  And now I can't edit the save-file to fix this issue that the devs should have fixed months ago thanks to AES Encryption.  Thanks for that Devs, you won't fix things, and now you won't let me fix them either.  Tempted to run a brute-force attack on the file to see if I can do something about that.  I shouldn't have to go to these lengths to fix a problem that has been raised many, many, many, many, many times.

7)  Britain and I are at war with each other, France and Britain have gone to war despite having an alliance with each other, and I've been asked if I want to form an alliance with Britain, who I am still at war with.  Its pandemonium in Europe tonight boys!

8.  While the new citadel system shows some promise, armor is still egregiously ineffective compared to what it should be at equivalent points in time, with the issue becoming further pronounced in the late era.

9)  As alluded to in Number-1, the way components scale in this game is borked, its been borked, and its going to continue to be borked.  That something which should be a relatively simple fix has gone this long without being addressed has caused me to lose any faith that it will be at any point.

10)  Overpen mechanics are still broked.  My German battleship with 16" guns continues to overpen everything it hits, even the meaty parts of other battleships.  A 16" shell is not going to travel through an armored deck / belt, through an entire ship and any intervening equipment, and out the keel / opposite side of belt without detonating. 

11)  The AI continues to suck at designing ships.  The British battleships in my first campaign with the new patch were 60,000+ tonners armed with 9" guns.  9 inch guns...on battleships larger than an Iowa, Bismarck, etc.  Why has the AI not been coded to select for minimum gun sizes based on its overall mass?  Why does the AI still continue to build paper ships because it has to satisfy its fetish for secondary guns?  Why are so many problems with core gameplay being completely ignored?

12)  On three occasions during campaign I had British battlecruisers that refused to sink when reduced to 0% structure.  They stayed afloat and continued to attack.  I was forced to keep attacking them until their floatability went to zero and they finally agreed to die.

13)  If I want to play World of Warships, I will play World of Warships.  I am, and continue to be severely disappointed with the arcadey mechanics.  Be it ridiculous ricochet chances, destroyers and light cruisers using smoke in the middle of a gun-battle, (whereby they would queer their own aiming) and other ridiculousness.  I bought this game hoping it wouldn't have stuff like this.  But obviously its here to stay.  Too bad my battleships can't smoke-up when they're forced to run from the cruisers and destroyers that have more torpedoes than crew.  You know, using smoke to retreat, as was the actual primary use of smoking-up.  The fact that the stupid numbers of ricochets seem to have actually decreased since the last patch is the only issue I can think of that's been addressed in the last several patches.

Steadily losing faith that its worth it, either to leave feedback or keep playing and hoping the issues will be resolved at some point. 

Edited by Kane
  • Like 4

Excellent update!

I'll have to do more testing when I get home from work, but so far I like every single part of this update and find all aspects of it to be very well implemented.

Great work!

Edited by Draco
  • Like 1