Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.06 Feedback<<< (FINAL UPDATE 6th Release Candidate)

With this update at least on beta, there is big problem designing ship correctly, especially smaller ones, pitch-roll is always in yellow it is hard to actually find the right way now and for some reasons ships does get sink slightly faster now.

Campaign upgrades are okay but there is still lot that lacking. If your supposed ally enter war with other team, you automatically enter with at least one (Example: playing with Germany, UK declared war to me after declaring war to Austro-Hungary earlier, France followed to but only Italy didn't so far.). There is constantly messages from UK or France threating to declare war if i do not move my ships away, the funny thing is, i had only six ships (two bbs and four battlecruisers as for whatever strange reason i cant build more, since my funds are to low for start), all six of my ships were in port and AI still threatens with war and then declare war??

All three allied nations have 70-90 ships i had only 6, cant built in beginning more then that, eventually i start building more ships but it take at least 12-14 months for darn cruisers. So what kind of start is this? where you are unable to built at least 60 or your own ships at the begnning. Of course enemy simply butcher my tiny little fleet with constant attacks. Its not fun at all.

• Like 2

Now that you mention it... for this 200 mm gun the rate of fire and amount of shots stayed the same when pumped up from 178. Changing calibre only changed the damage, penetration, range and weight, so it makes sense that the 200 mm would be heavier than the 203, since it contains 40 additional shells and likely has the higher DPM due to the high fire rate.

It would be nice if the other values would also scale with the gun-size, like penetration, damage and weight do, especially the fire-rate and turret rotation.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the new campaign. But then this happened after I force the bri'ish to sign a preace deal? 

image.thumb.png.5e95bf3186462a9c49ae77664379b343.png

Why is this campaign over?

EDIT: Also I wouldnt call losing 2 TB for 6BB, 3 CA, 12 CL and 17TB a "minor victory"

Edited by Sturmalex
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Norbert Sattler said:

Now that you mention it... for this 200 mm gun the rate of fire and amount of shots stayed the same when pumped up from 178. Changing calibre only changed the damage, penetration, range and weight, so it makes sense that the 200 mm would be heavier than the 203, since it contains 40 additional shells and likely has the higher DPM due to the high fire rate.

It would be nice if the other values would also scale with the gun-size, like penetration, damage and weight do, especially the fire-rate and turret rotation.

Everything scales up, for example if a turret is heavier, it affects its rotation speed. If ammo is more for a lower caliber gun, it is just weighing more as ammo exclusively. Previous version did not include so accurate ammo weight calculations and they were not visible as extra stat. 

We will check to hotfix what is really a bug. Thank you for the reports.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Unfortunately, it just was not made right yet. We will fix it.

Oh okay, so its a bug, fair enough. Thought I made a mistake. Take your time. looks really promising right now! 🙂 

Really looking forward to the full campaign. 

Edited by Sturmalex
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Everything scales up, for example if a turret is heavier, it affects its rotation speed. If ammo is more for a lower caliber gun, it is just weighing more as ammo exclusively. Previous version did not include so accurate ammo weight calculations and they were not visible as extra stat. 

We will check to hotfix what is really a bug. Thank you for the reports.

If it's not a bug, add a hot tip or loading screen message explaining/telling people to check how much ammo a gun has.

Related to this, you should decompress the "amount of ammo" component into at least "ammo primary" and "ammo secondary". Ideally you should allow it to be an integer that players can enter per gun caliber (I want 126 rounds per gun for my 12 inchers, 300 for my 5 inchers, etc.).

Seems like we're back to the issue of the player getting almost no funds at the start. While this can be fixed by auto-generating your fleet at the start, that essentially leaves you in the hands of the AI. It also doesn't help that war breaking out is uncontrollable to the player without sacrificing essentially all of your naval funds and lots of prestige. Even then, war is still inevitable, and at that point, you won't have much of a fleet to fight with. Why not just give the player enough funds to either have a fleet the same size as the AI, or make the auto-generation give the AI a fleet the same size as the player should be able to get?

• Like 4

As Austria I am at war with the UK and France with Germany and Italy as my allies.

The only nations that have any power projection in the eastern mediteranean according to the tooltip are the Italians and myself. And yet somehow I am losing tansports there.

How?

A new update is available. Please Restart Steam to download it.

*HOTFIX UPDATE 1 *
- Some minor tech fixes.
- Fixed mute gun sounds when played on fast forward.
- Increased own fleet funds.
- Fixed an 8-inch gun that did not increase in size according to caliber diameter (If you find again something similar, please report)

Note 1: The Ironclad missions will temporarily not function until we finalize the new caliber logic.
Note 2: The campaign will still end after nation wins. We will address this ASAP.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dunno if this was intentional, but torpedo damage is highly variable and seems to vary with hit location. (e.g., 2 AI CLs in the same battle got hit by 4 torpedoes amidships for 4k damage and 2 torpedoes on the bow for 260 damage.) Is this maybe TOO variable? (i.e., a torpedo hit should do, at minimum, more damage than that, to a 1900-era CL with no torpedo protection?)

w/r/t the war/campaign stuff, I was playing as UK and got into a war w/ Germany/Austria, w/ France as my ally, but immediately started getting combat missions against Italy even though I wasn't technically at war w/ them.

And I stayed not-at-war w/ Italy even after sinking a bunch of their warships? It took about 8 months before our relations sunk low enough that they declared war on France and I got dragged into it.

How are VP calculated? I had one battle where I sunk 13 of theirs (including 1 BB) and they sunk one of mine (a BB). I got 5200 VP and they got 4200. Doesn't seem quite right.

Are VP awarded based on external factors like overall % of enemy fleet sunk? (My fleet is significantly smaller.) Or cost of individual ships?

The German 13" - 16" (The High tech Turrets Mark 3-5) single and triple turrets have a way higher caliber than their twin counterpart, with 65cal base compared to the twins 55-ish. the quads are also larger by a good amount. Their ingame model is nearly identical in size, but the accuracy and pen are a lot better without the reload speed malus.

In addition, when increasing barrel length, the twin version of those turrets has the whole turret stretch instead of just the barrels

Its fun to test all the different things that are possible with the barrel designer, thanks for the beta release.

so sadly it seems the main feature of the update the unlimited campaign is still not working ho hum. ill check out the update but only to see the custom gun caliber and the hull imporvements. the thing i wanted cannot be played yet

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

A new update is available. Please Restart Steam to download it.

*HOTFIX UPDATE 1 *
- Some minor tech fixes.
- Fixed mute gun sounds when played on fast forward.
- Increased own fleet funds.
- Fixed an 8-inch gun that did not increase in size according to caliber diameter (If you find again something similar, please report)

Note 1: The Ironclad missions will temporarily not function until we finalize the new caliber logic.
Note 2: The campaign will still end after nation wins. We will address this ASAP.

I updated the game but my fleet funds are only 1 million higher at the start with Germany in 1890. It is supposed to be higher, right?

Thanks so much for this update, the citadel and gun customization is incredibly cool and I can't wait to play a campaign where research and ship construction actually matter.

With respect to customization of gun caliber and barrel length, I have a couple of comments. First, I appreciate that I can enter a specific caliber, but I can only work in terms of percent for barrel length; could you perhaps make it possible to enter the barrel length in calibers so that if I want, say, a 5"/54 I can just have that instead of guessing? I also noticed that changing barrel length also elongates or squashes the turret mounting, which can look pretty silly, especially with partially enclosed mountings like the early single 5" guns on destroyers—if that was intentional or unavoidable, no worries; it's only noticeable up close and with drastic increases/decreases.

One thing that probably is a bug is that duplicating a scaled weapon creates a copy that is (at least visually) the normal size of that weapon. I noticed this when attempting to build a ship for the Russia vs. Germany mission—tried to move some 3" guns around after I'd scaled up their caliber and the duplicated ones were smaller. Changing the gun dimensions again and then back to what I intended fixed the scaling problem. Related to this, I'd also really like it if weapons mounted in symmetry inherited rotation from the part that you place, so that I can orient weapons how I like without having to do the same on the other side of the ship.

I also second the suggestion to change/rename or remove the Barbettes component since we can now set barbette armor directly. Might there be a way to have flash-fire and ammo detonation chance be related to your barbette armor thickness, replacing the component's functionality, or is that already incorporated into the damage model?

I love this game, guys. Thanks you for making it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

You cannot expect anymore to abuse mechanics and make small ships to have minimal pitch/roll. Small pitch/roll can be really achieved on very large displacements. Oversized guns on small ships have their realistic cost on pitch/roll.

Ok interesting. This could be a solution to balance the AI ships design vs the player ships design. The idea is good imo, but the implementation of it was too extreme. It is very easy to go with red pitch and roll values.

IozTgEQ.jpg

6x10 inch guns for a 4k ton cruiser in 1890. This would work great in the past, now no more. However, I do agree that this is completely unrealistic for a hull this size. So I tried other configurations.

3KPqxyd.jpg

6x8 inch guns. Almost at red.

XsBlEnf.jpg

3x6 inch guns only. Still at 43%. A 4k ton cruiser should carry 3x single 6 inch guns without issues. I could probably edit the armor values and the components to lower a little more the pitch, but still, I think is too much.

And then we have another issue. Because the pitch and roll values were increased now they are too sensitive. Small changes in the position gives a dramatic changes in the ship balance.

UFCnZ2O.jpg

AxrOi8F.jpg

I move the turret one point to the side and the weight offset went from 0 to 6.6%

In the small ships the situation is even worse. A small example.

JFterGJ.jpg

xoWUCsU.jpg

Went from 48% to 17% by moving the funnel one click to the side. Again, I think the idea behind these changes is good, but I think somewhere in the middle could work better. The way it is, atm seems to me a little too much. It can prove to be a very frustrating mechanic for the players.

Small bug report

HNj0SVl.jpggKh19ON.jpg

1890, french CA hull. 6 inch gun can't go over the secondaries. But the 4 inch gun have no issues.

• Like 2

I was trying to wait till I have more experience with this update, especially since I haven interacted with gun diameter or the new citadel at all, but frankly there are  some glaring things that I can point out immediately:

1. Fleets often spawn right on top each other in a battle.

2. Performance is worse. I get, depending on the engagment size, kinda bad fps, below 20 for Jutland style battles. Decreasing settings doesnt change that and smaler battles run fine. Nothing too serious for a beta I suppose.

3. Torp duds seem to be working fine.

4. I cant the hell get battles. At first I thought my task forces were to big, but look: I am staring the entire britch fleet in the eyes with 2 BBs 3CAs and 3 DDs in one Task Force and 3 BBs 3 CAs and 3 DDS in the other. I tried Invade, see control, nothing. I tried keeping my ships on sea control in Port ...... nothing. I think I had less battles played than years elapsed .....

JKwGBvU.jpg

I was at war with the french previously ......... and I guess I am still, altough it doesnt say so. I got asked 3 times, but never got a treaty signed, or reperations for that matter because I certainly won that war. Anyway the entery french atlantic fleet also didnt want to fight me previously. Relations with the french also are going down again. 

5. The last 2 battles I had were actually with Italian ships (my allies) and mine togehter, and in that I couldnt detach ships form a divsion. I dont want to be offensive, but god damn! is the "standard way" of "controlling" your ships aweful and outright defunkt. Honestly it makes me wanna throw something ......... needless to say, that battle was a crushing defeat.

6.  Dont know if itentional so I am jus stating my ovservations: While previouly transports would be slaughtered each turn, now its usually nothing but silence. I only started getting that pop up after the war with the british startet. I occasionally (read: rarely) sink 1-3 in the eastern mediternean - less than the amount of task forces active there. The british sometimes sink 1-2, with NOTHING as they dont have a single warship past Gibralta. Ofc they do that, but otherwise their ships are buisy not enganging mine.

War against the French had ended, but I can only tell because a new one has erupted. I got no reparations, ships or provinces from the french.

Nothing is happending, as usual. The mediteranean is a couldron of shipping lanes but neatly ordered, no one is threating to collide and certainly no one is shooting.

Cga5oKh.jpg

Franky at this point I am just clicking end turn. I suspect my campaign might be broken. An entire year has passed between this and the last screen. I had a single (read: 1) battle against a lone british Torpedo boat. I coulnt find it, even with the AI one trick because the weather is bad and DDs are ofthen cloaked anyway. Whats even better is that afterwads the entire_!_ task force got MAGICALLY teleported back into one of my ports. I dont know how long it takes to reach GB from the adriatic coast, between 6 and 12 turns I suppose, but the flight back is less than a turn ............ and involuntarely.

@Nick Thomadis

So I was screwing around trying to figure out the +.9" weight issue, and while the extra ammo for the smaller guns does explain some of it, there's still something strange going on in the background, at least for some of the guns. Increasing a MK2 4" to 4.9" should not nearly triple it's weight, yet as the screenshots show, that's what happens.

20220528125610_1.jpg

20220528125621_1.jpg