Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch Announcement

Nick Thomadis

35 minutes ago, Toby said:

so back on topic.
with this being the 0.5 patch of the campaign 1 release how far behind do we think the campaign 1 patch is and do we expect it to have any changes from the previously announced feathures?

I'd imagine not too far, probably a few changes here and there, and especially bug fixes but mainly just finishing off the campaign most likely.

My only disappointment is from at least from what i read is we won't be getting subcalibers like Russian 130s,separate 152 from 155s (3mm yes but they have different shell ballistics often too) 140s and a few others im probably forgetting 

also hopefully in the near future we can change barrel lengths too (not going to lie,I'd love to make something with a barrel 70+ calibers in length for laughs,but as almost anyone here knows not all calibers had just 1 length which affected their ballistic properties) otherwise im really hyped for this update looks very good nonetheless,cheers!

What little of the game (age of sail) ive seen that does make a lot of sense. Have each ship captain have a basic set of stats that can help you pick the right captain for the ship. The bit that is interesting me with the campaign is how will the land and air aspects be handled. We know atleast for now that aircraft are not part of the game so carriers will not be a thing but will land based airbases? And are you acting as the head of the nations navy or some kind of high ranking admiral? How much of the nations focus and agression can you direct and also will the ai be able to hold wars on their own (im watching a couple youtubers playthroughs of rule the waves two and the ai in that can only play wars agaisnt the player or with the player)

2 hours ago, ThatZenoGuy said:

Not to mention you 'need' to armor the front and rear ends of the ship to a high extent, historically these areas had 30mm or so of plating tops for an all-or-nothing ship.

Yup... not only because half of the main battery is placed outside the main belt (which is why I would like to be able to define, at least, the horizontal limits of the belts), but also because all-or-nothing schemes are not possible in the game.

If you try to make a proper all-or-nothing ship, and assuming you don't get immediatly ammoracked because there are turrets outside the main belt, you will be destroyed in 5 salvos hitting the extended parts out of overpenetration damage...

...when the very purpose the all-or-nothing ships were designed for, was precisely so that the areas that were irrelevant to the ship's integrity could be left entirely unprotected, in order to be able to dedicate the entirety of the armor weight to the critical areas of the ship.

Bruh, the more I think about the game and ship designer, the more I realise how flawed and limited it is, even after all these years... I get it's in development, but progress in some aspects seem to be quite stalled... I hope all these issues and concerns are at least looked into, addressed and polished at some point, otherwise I would be immeasurably disappointed.

Edited by SPANISH_AVENGER
  • Like 2

Really liked that design, hope they use something similar here.

58 minutes ago, Commander-Alexander-Reed said:

So, I'd imagine the whole crew aspect will be similar to that of Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail, where you assign your own commanders to your ship and the rest of the crew is just auto generated. 

Or will it be much different to this? What do you guys think?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThatZenoGuy said:

But that's not my problem, nor should it ever be. Client based games>Server based for actual PVP any day of the week.

I mean the shells impacted what would appear to be right under the funnels, that ship's engines should've been kaput yet 'muh overpenetration'

Silly game for silly children.

Well if the shell lands above the main belt thats extremely likely. again, its straight math. You can tell what room a shell will land in if you have the print for the target ship. If you hit belt though, then its mathematically next to impossible to overpen a CA, or even most CL citadels from broadside.

4 hours ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

One of the biggest issues is AIs making mega-OP ships with 15x 508mm guns all the time.

Imagine making a state of the art Battleship, carefully crafted to balance all of its aspects perfectly in a well protected and potent ship... only to get obliterated an AI clowncar ship with 9% accuracy while you have a 74% accuracy because it made a Battleship with impossibly heavy main battery that one-hit kills you...

4 hours ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

The thing is, there's something about ships that is way heavier than it should already.

Just try to make any replica build. Bismarck, Iowa... it will always weight 10,000-15,000 more tons than it should... and now it will weight even more because of the armor weight increases...

I had zero problems creating as as historically accurate as possible Iowa. I decided not to go to the full displacement of the ship due to the model being far too long at higher displacements.

https://imgur.com/GIAgj1W

Inaccuracies:

• SHP (174k vs 212k)
  • funnel placement (can be placed neither fore, or aft enough on either part)
  • Powder type (changes incoming anyway, but i used tube powder for properties)
  • gun characteristics (given that these are not the same as the mk8s anyway)
  • shell properties are close... but not right
  • lack of quad bofors, substituted with triple 57mm
  • No access to deck arrangement, so i added them all together.

Im not really sure what you are doing to make the ship so over weight. places you should be cutting weight for history are:

• aux engine 2
  • induced boilers
  • anti torp 4
  • light shells (pushes the reload, velocity, and weight more towards historical value, especially for the mk3)
  • reduced ammo (still gives you far more ammo than they had historically)

I did not change the bulkheads at all. Iowa did not have a huge amount of bulkheads compared to any other ship, nor were they particularly armored among battleships. Not that it matters since this just changes catastrophic damage %.

--

As far as the AI clown car issue. I've seen it myself, so I think thats a fair criticism. The mounts are already over weighted. So i'd prefer to look at something else to bring them into line.

9 hours ago, Toby said:

so back on topic.
with this being the 0.5 patch of the campaign 1 release how far behind do we think the campaign 1 patch is and do we expect it to have any changes from the previously announced feathures?

Saddly the experience with this game is delays and delays, often there is around 3 month gap between  update. I hope this time it will be way less! If we have the core 1 before december I will be surprise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdmER said:

Saddly the experience with this game is delays and delays, often there is around 3 month gap between  update. I hope this time it will be way less! If we have the core 1 before december I will be surprise.

Yes, there are delays, but if you look at the "2021 Development Plans", you'll see that crew and officers was actually supposed to be "Core Patch 2". With that and the actual "Core Patch 1", we might get about half of what was promised this year, which is actually pretty good for a game currently in development!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AurumCorvus said:

Yes, there are delays, but if you look at the "2021 Development Plans", you'll see that crew and officers was actually supposed to be "Core Patch 2". With that and the actual "Core Patch 1", we might get about half of what was promised this year, which is actually pretty good for a game currently in development!

Isn't that so sad to say though. "We might get half of what was promised to be delivered this year! Get hyped!!!" and we don't even know how much they gutted of these two

19 hours ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

Bruh, the more I think about the game and ship designer, the more I realise how flawed and limited it is, even after all these years... I get it's in development, but progress in some aspects seem to be quite stalled... I hope all these issues and concerns are at least looked into, addressed and polished at some point, otherwise I would be immeasurably disappointed.

I think the designer is indeed the biggest issues with the most work needed still. 

Campaign is important to create a setting to use these ships but being able to construct them properly is the main selling point for me. 

I wrote up a summary of what I would like to see a while ago but I am not sure if the devs agree with me on this (although length to beam ratio was announced a while ago - haven’t seen any word on it yet though)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2021 at 6:26 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

If all is good, we will release on Monday.

Don't get too hyped everyone, that's a big "if". This patch most likely wasn't planned, it was probably just announced to quell the unrest here, so it's hard to determine if they'll be able to actually finish it that quickly

• Like 2