Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch Announcement

Nick Thomadis

15 hours ago, Masonator said:

As of today, these are your campaign expectations.  This isn't what I expect at all, and I strongly suspect that you'll be disappointed with the final product.  That simply isn't the type of game that GL has ever made before, and they've made absolutely no indications of a course change throughout the Dreadnoughts development cycle.  I strongly believe that the campaign(s) will be a (series of) linear storyline(s) set in a single theatre(s) and following a single officer's career, as in Age of Sail, because that's the developer's track record.

I don't know if that's exactly what was marketed.

Let's go to the source: https://www.dreadnoughts.ultimateadmiral.com/the-playing-modes

I am highlighting several key phrases.

The Campaign (Not yet available)
In the campaign you participate in an ongoing naval arms race and try to overwhelm your opponents by maintaining economic and technological superiority. You fully manage the fleets and naval construction programmes of the following nations that are available with their historical borders from the Imperialism Era to the Interwar Period (1890-1930+):

• British Empire

• German Empire

• French Empire

• United States

• Russian Empire

• Austro-Hungarian Empire

• Italian Empire

• Empire of Japan

• Spanish Empire

• Chinese Empire

The campaign is set in a global scale over a complete map that includes all countries of the time period (minor nations are not playable). On this huge strategic board, you can recreate historical events such as the Russo-Japanese War and the World Wars, or delve into “What if” situations, such as China prevailing in the Sino-Japanese war and becoming a major naval power.

Significant political events can include rebellions and the change of a government from Monarchy to Democracy. Your naval strength will play a crucial role in all those events, but most importantly in military engagements, since the control of the seas may cripple your opponent via naval blockades, secure your army’s supply lines and open up opportunities for naval invasions.

Your Role in the Campaign
From your position as head of the admiralty you do not have direct control of the national government, but you can influence the course of actions, either by sharing your opinion in random political events or by strengthening the naval power and prestige of your nation. Each nation has its strength and weaknesses. For example, some countries will begin with much stronger naval facilities and greater economic power than others, but the randomization of technological advancements and events in each campaign session ensures that the final dominant power is going to be always unpredictable.

Being the chief admiral of your nation gives you complete power over naval construction programs and policies. It will be your responsibility to manage the naval budget and allocate it wisely between technological research, crew training, shipyard development and ship building. You will also move your fleets across the global map and decide which sea regions to reinforce. Global tension may rise dangerously and cause wars that will involve your country. So you must make sure that your fleet is always ready for combat and in maximum efficiency.

Fighting Naval Battles in the Campaign 
The global map is divided into sea regions on where you deploy your ships. Depending on the provinces you control on those waters, you have to keep your naval strength in a minimum safety level or else economic efficiency will deteriorate and you may even face rebellions in unruly colonies.

During wartime, your fleets will engage enemy forces that are stationed in the same sea region via the Battle Generator System. This system generates missions by evaluating several strategic factors, affected by fleet composition, ship operational range and naval techs. In those generated missions, which vary from small convoy raids to major fleet actions, you can take part and directly control your ships against the enemy.

Winning these naval battles is crucial, not only for the war effort but also for your career. If your are defeated many times, your naval prestige may fall so low that will cause your dismissal by the government.

Submarine and Anti-Submarine Warfare 
Submarines will have a special function in the campaign. Expensive to research, submarines sacrifice funds that could be spend on other warship technologies. However, once they become available, each campaign turn you will have the power to sink enemy merchant or military ships without any opposition, unless the opponent has sufficient Anti-Submarine-Warfare(ASW) technologies.

You control submarines by deploying them on the map and choosing their rules of engagement. During wartime, their effect is calculated per turn according to the strategic situation on the map. Similarly, the ASW ability of your ships is auto-calculated according to the amount of destroyers, depth charge equipment, submarine mines, torpedo nets and several other technologies currently researched.

Submarines can open Pandora's Box for the side that chooses an unrestricted warfare policy. An accidental sinking of a neutral ship may drag other nations into a war against you.

Mine Warfare
Like submarines, mines will have a special role in campaigns. Mines will need special research to become truly effective but will be a constant threat for ships even at the lowest technological levels.

Minefields will be automatically generated near your shores during a war, and the same will be done by your enemy. Ships that operate near heavy minefields may be struck by mines leading to damage or even complete loss. Minesweeping will be the basic counter-measure, progressively clearing enemy mines. Other potential counter-measures would be to design your ships strong enough to withstand mine damage or to have the necessary sensors to avoid them.

The end of a war will see minefields only slowly cleaned out, still capable of causing damage to ships of any side and possibly raising tension between countries.

World Wars, Alliances and Treaties
Diplomatic complications and alliances may entagle several major nations in a war with each other, creating a World War. Such a cataclysm will bring about land battles all over the world between the rival countries. As chief admiral for your nation, you will not directly control events on land, but you will be in full charge of the navy, and the role of the navy will be crucial, because blockades and successful convoy raids can completely cripple the opponent’s economy and progressively reduce his ability to support his fleet and armies.

Victory points are measured during wartime and when one side gains an overwhelming balance of points, then a peace treaty is signed that can result in war reparations, exchange of provinces, ceding of ships or naval treaties that limit naval construction programmes (like the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty that followed the First World War).

By the looks of it, the campaign administration layer will probably be open world style (no restrictions where you want to place your ships beyond where you have bases), and then you will play missions generated by the game according to where your ships are, where enemy's ships are, tech levels (as detection technologies improve probably the frequency of encounters will also increase, for example) and some other factors. But again, that's the same as RtW. If they include some kind of creating proactive attack missions (for example, I want a naval bombardment in this base on this date) it will be more open-world than RtW where you cannot do that.

• Like 5

You all are on here trying to get a notarized certification of guarantee of final game features while I'm still getting bombarded with Facebook ads showing the ability to swap out hull sections to create custom hulls/casemate locations/etc.

Also, P.S. - I bought your game last year. FB's ad targeting algorithms apparently suck. 

man i hope its release tomorrow and campaign next friday and we need more british battlecruisers hull in 1.0 like renown queen mary tiger Courageous class G3 battlecruiser Lion class battleship hull HMS Dreadnought St Vincent class Iron Duke class Revenge class Nelson class HMS Vanguard

7 minutes ago, kineuhansen said:

man i hope its release tomorrow and campaign next friday and we need more british battlecruisers hull in 1.0 like renown queen mary tiger Courageous class G3 battlecruiser Lion class battleship hull HMS Dreadnought St Vincent class Iron Duke class Revenge class Nelson class HMS Vanguard

My hunch is that it will release tomorrow. I think it just makes sense to be honest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fishyfish said:

New features: neat. 

New hulls: Groan. 

>super, modern, experimental, 

>pain, despair, disappointment. 

The only thing I'm looking forward to are some of the new features and even then I wonder how they're going to be implemented. 

You don't like watching 3-5 ships fighting from 30-25km away and die instantly from the first hit within 4 mins of engaging each other? How dare you!?

• Like 1

I am just hoping with the changes that one doesn't get detonated for not armoring the extended belt and deck while using the AoN Armor scheme...

And well, the campaign aswell, since then there is atleast a reason to play the game for more than 5 minutes every 6 months

I am really hoping that the campaign will be similar to how it was in the v60 alpha version, just a lot more refined

Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 12:59 PM, Masonator said:

I think we need to stop with the RTW2 comparisons.

Rule the Waves is an old-school turn-based strategy sim played almost entirely through text.  Dreadnoughts is a real-time 3D quasi-simulator drawing inspiration from fking Kerbal Space Program.  They're not automatically competitors just because you happen to play both games - get over yourselves.  They're not even remotely the same game and occupy completely different niches in the market.

Everyone's speculating about what the campaign will or won't be, and are seemingly deciding their opinions about it before the first playable alpha build is even out.  Yes, we've been waiting ages.  Yes, the devs have been completely silent about it.  Yes, there's still no screenshots, let alone gameplay footage.  None of these are positive points, but it doesn't automatically mean the campaign is attempting to "dethrone RTW2" as the premier naval simulator.  As detailed, they occupy different market niches and cater to a different audience.

I don't know how many people on this board have played UA: Age of Sail (you should, it really scratches the naval itch for which Dreadnoughts has been slacking), but it's Game-Labs' previous title and is broadly similar to Dreadnoughts in many respects.  Its campaign consists of a sequence of scripted scenarios, similar to the existing UA:D Naval Academy but with persistent saves, fleet, maps, and resources between missions (in addition to a full Total War-style land warfare system).  Missions provide simplified strategic resources, such as funds, crew experience, and research points, which are used to unlock the tech tree and build better ships.

Based on what we've already got in-game, I'd imagine the UA:D campaign will be very similar in concept, most likely with an expanded tech tree and additional resources such as fuel, manpower, etc.

The reason the RTW comparisons exist is because if you go back and read the original blog posts about the intended game mechanics it's basically RTW with 3d graphics. Not a bad thing. But the fact is RTW is it's direct competitor. The original stuff about the game presented it not like Age of Sail but like RTW. Which makes them competitors. They've said nothing to change that assumption, I think the intention has changed, but they've said nothing to that affect. And so the RTW comparisons will continue until we have reason to think they no longer should be compared. Frankly, if they gave us Age of Sail but with dreadnoughts I'd be unhappy. I wanted an improved 3D RTW, everyone else I know that plays the game did too. That's what they promised when they began selling early access.

Calling UA:D a quasi-simulator drawing inspiration from Kerbal Space Program is a massive stretch lol. It's an arcade game that's dressed up as quasi-simulator. 

Games change in development sure, but I think it's safe to say if you begin selling an early access title and then fail to deliver on what you said you would you have failed. That's the risk of going into an early access, I'm never doing it again. But yeah, I've heard some people defend companies that deliver something different than what they promised but nah. That shouldn't fly. And I mean damn it didn't fly with the Naval Action crowd lol. This feels like a repeat of that. I hope I'm wrong but yeah

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Iuvenalis said:

You all are on here trying to get a notarized certification of guarantee of final game features while I'm still getting bombarded with Facebook ads showing the ability to swap out hull sections to create custom hulls/casemate locations/etc.

Also, P.S. - I bought your game last year. FB's ad targeting algorithms apparently suck. 

Facebook is brain poison. Get out of Zuckerworld while you can.

12 hours ago, Fishyfish said:

New features: neat. 

New hulls: Groan. 

>super, modern, experimental, 

>pain, despair, disappointment. 

The only thing I'm looking forward to are some of the new features and even then I wonder how they're going to be implemented. 

You're likely hours (from this post) from finding out. Today is probably patch day. Devs love weekends. Kicking out a patch on a Friday means they can take a day or two off and let the community roll in the suggestions and bugs, allowing them to plan a bit for the following weeks.

Don't let new hulls get you down - they likely have one or more dedicated artists who can knock those out regardless of the overall game status. Let them do their thing and just accept the improvement.

Let them know what you think of the crew feature, since it's pretty clear they want input on that. Seriously. Nick identified it as the key feature needing some feedback so they can kick the campaign out. I plan on going a bit nuts on playing with it myself. 🙂

EDIT: I almost forgot! An historical fishy reference just for you!

wahoo.png

Edited by killjoy1941
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, killjoy1941 said:

You're likely hours (from this post) from finding out. Today is probably patch day. Devs love weekends. Kicking out a patch on a Friday means they can take a day or two off and let the community roll in the suggestions and bugs, allowing them to plan a bit for the following weeks.

Don't let new hulls get you down - they likely have one or more dedicated artists who can knock those out regardless of the overall game status. Let them do their thing and just accept the improvement.

Let them know what you think of the crew feature, since it's pretty clear they want input on that. Seriously. Nick identified it as the key feature needing some feedback so they can kick the campaign out. I plan on going a bit nuts on playing with it myself. 🙂

EDIT: I almost forgot! An historical fishy reference just for you!

wahoo.png

Sorry brother I'm not playing this patch. My SDD died and I'm in no rush to replace it. This game just doesn't do it for me. I'm pretty convinced that its target audience is weird WoWS warship weebs who want to build their ship girlfriends. (No offense weird ship weebs. I've got no room to talk, have you seen the fish affliction) Given that these devs focus entirely on late war ships I can't help but be reminded of tier VIII, IX, X warships from WoWS. Maybe I'm crazy. I came for the older warships, the ironclads, armored cruisers, protected cruiser and pre-dreadnoughts. If there aren't any or that gets ignored what is there for me? I don't have a ship girlfriend. I don't play WoWS (I admit I watch a lot though) and I don't like the direction the games gone over the past two years. So now what?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Yuubari_ said:

I am just hoping with the changes that one doesn't get detonated for not armoring the extended belt and deck while using the AoN Armor scheme...

For the love of christ this. 
90% of hulls don't have enough room in the 'citadel' for decent weaponry, so you need retarded 12+ inch thick forward/rear belts which no warship in history could afford to have.

• Like 1

I agree with mister fish affection here (no offense intended)

What's super cool is the whacky ships of the 1890s-1920s since there is no real spot light thrown in them. Using RtW as an example, I love the early part of the game, where you try to keep up with technology and stuff, and build sometimes really weird ships, while after 1930s the surface combat turns into a sniper duel and the only interesting part are mass CV fleets. I am worried and wondering about the lack of early game content since it seems very lacking with about 3-5 kinds of predreads and most of them looking very similar appart from a couple ones being kinda distinct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThatZenoGuy said:

For the love of christ this. 
90% of hulls don't have enough room in the 'citadel' for decent weaponry, so you need retarded 12+ inch thick forward/rear belts which no warship in history could afford to have.

I agree to 100% and also it is the reason why AoN armor schemes became the main stay of the 1930s.

Since you don't need to armor the bow and stern anymore and could afford to build a lighter ship or a more heavily armored one for the same weight, it is just stupid how it doesn't reflect any of that.

12 minutes ago, Commander-Alexander-Reed said:

So, looking like it might not be today? Shame.

Some of the earlier patches dropped around noon to 1pm my time, so an hour to two hours from now. I think we still have some time. 

Though I can easily imagine them delaying it to the last possible moment (tomorrow) so they can make sure everything is right.

• Like 1

Hmm no patch for today? 

Too be fair for belts we should have the option to add an icebreaker as well. Or armour up to a certain percentage of both bow and stern.

I assume the patch will come around 5pm BST time, but i won't hold my breath. Another reason why i dislike the lack of communication, we have no clue what could be effecting them.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Speglord said:

Some of the earlier patches dropped around noon to 1pm my time, so an hour to two hours from now. I think we still have some time. 

Though I can easily imagine them delaying it to the last possible moment (tomorrow) so they can make sure everything is right.

I do hope you're right, my friend.

• Like 2