Game-Labs Forum

Core Patch 1: "Arriving"

Nick Thomadis

32 minutes ago, Werwaz said:

ye

I must now build the ship equivalent of the T95

Especially if the new Austro-Hungarian hull has even higher base Resistance than their previous best.

Also, I think the campaign will cause a movement towards more cost-effective ships. Previous scenarios, whether Naval Academy or user-defined, tended to have lax spending limits often combined with ship count restrictions (either explicit or not being able to save enough to afford an additional ship), resulting in outrageously expensive Diesel II powerplants all over the place. With powerplants being both heavy and expensive per ton, we may see players hanging on to Basic Steam Engine + Coal for as long as possible until graduating to Geared Turbines + Semi-Oil. Unless of course the modifiers change.

Edited by Evil4Zerggin

13 minutes ago, Evil4Zerggin said:

Especially if the new Austro-Hungarian hull has even higher base Resistance than their previous best.

Also, I think the campaign will cause a movement towards more cost-effective ships. Previous scenarios, whether Naval Academy or user-defined, tended to have lax spending limits often combined with ship count restrictions (either explicit or not being able to save enough to afford an additional ship), resulting in outrageously expensive Diesel II powerplants all over the place. With powerplants being both heavy and expensive per ton, we may see players hanging on to Basic Steam Engine + Coal for as long as possible until graduating to Geared Turbines + Semi-Oil. Unless of course the modifiers change.

I think it really depends on the design philosophy of the ship. If one wants to build a handful(2-3 per class) of top of the line battleships, then they go for top techs regardless of cost. One who goes for a quantity-over-quality approach will most likely see their ships become obsolete a lot sooner, and as it may be easier to upgrade an existing ship as opposed to building a new ship, they will be forced to either fight with obsolete ships, spend a ton of money on refits that could have been saved if you built the ship with better techs, or spend even more money building entirely new ships. I generally never use diesel powerplants for a ship with a speed over 28 knots in order to control costs, as well as making these ships as survivable as possible so all that expensive machinery doesn't sit at the bottom of the sea.

6 minutes ago, Werwaz said:

One who goes for a quantity-over-quality approach will most likely see their ships become obsolete a lot sooner

Well, it depends on what factors drive obsolescence. E.g. if it's driven mostly by gun penetration, obsolescence of cheap powerplants seems less of a factor since the choice of powerplant isn't connected with choice of guns (which isn't currently much of a choice anyways, it's not like you can save money by not using the latest Mark). If obsolescence is driven by a race for faster ships then maybe the more advanced powerplant becomes more attractive after all. Other economic factors could go either way.

I was remiss in not mentioning another major factor, which is how the mission generator works. If you have twice the number of ships as your opponent, will it give you twice as many ships per battle, will it put even numbers/tonnage on each side, or will it do something in the middle? The answer will have dramatic effects on quantity vs. quality.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jatzi said:

I dont want to be super negative when you finally decide to give us some info but I am concerned about the preponderance of super battleships that you guys keep pumping out. They're cool, big and flashy and fun to fight but I would hope in the campaign theyd be just as unrealistic to build as in real life. If you're rich and winning then sure but I'd imagine most countries, like Italy for example, wouldnt really want to build a few huge expensive super battleships. As someone else said we need more early cruisers. Cruisers in general. And predreadnoughts. 

Like you said, I want to stay positive and I am, thanks for the 1st campaign core.  BUT .... Ultimate Admiral Dreadnought and only super-battleship! Like many campaign games, we will play and replay the 1st part over and over. As proposed the game should focus, as in title and promo indicated, on the 1880 - 1920 dreadnought area. I was hoping to see more ships from the begining 1880 even some armored fregate and developping to the Dreadnoughts.

In any case, great news! hope it will arrive soon!

• Like 2

• Ship Design Saves: Finally, you can now save your favourite designs in Custom Battles! The system works similarly as for the Naval Academy. You will be able to save and reuse your designs depending on the technology year and the ship types used for the battle.

I can't yet believe that i have waited two whole years for this
  • Like 3

Here is something you guys could probs add, before releasing the patch or doing internal testing. From the official discord.

"Alright, time to suggest a tweak for CP1 to make: Change the Unlock: All function from unlock all hulls to unlock all tech for a ship. Either that or add that functionality. Examples"

Pre-dreadnoughts with diesel engines and radar Triple expansion steam engine USS Iowa Autoloaders on an early dreadnought Oxygen torpedoes on 1905 diesel Torpedo Boats

[08:44]

"Please, UADevs, for the love of god, make this tweak. It's a decent idea, unlocking all hulls is a bit pointless compared to unlocking all technology across the years."

Shouldn't take to long to do.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this isnt my idea btw, just making sure lol.

Edited by Cptbarney
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

So, no plans on improving the actual design mechanic - confirmed.
Now this must be really good in other parts to end well, but I still would like a refund.

I was also sad to see no changes to the Designer. That thing is still nowhere close to baseline version 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Donluca95 said:
  • Ship Design Saves: Finally, you can now save your favourite designs in Custom Battles! The system works similarly as for the Naval Academy. You will be able to save and reuse your designs depending on the technology year and the ship types used for the battle.

I can't yet believe that i have waited two whole years for this

Well, first I am extremenly happy to hear these news. I was totally convinced by now that this game was slowly fading away but I am deligted to see that it is not. 

I believe the community will be more happy in general if we are updated more regularly on development but, and this is important, developments not related with new guns and hulls, but with the campaign. 

It would have been really good as well to unlock the possibility of saving desings and make our battles at some time in the past. That would have kept us well entertained for while...

Dear Devs, please keep going ahead and satisfy our hopes and wishes with this game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Here is something you guys could probs add, before releasing the patch or doing internal testing. From the official discord.

"Alright, time to suggest a tweak for CP1 to make: Change the Unlock: All function from unlock all hulls to unlock all tech for a ship. Either that or add that functionality. Examples"

Pre-dreadnoughts with diesel engines and radar Triple expansion steam engine USS Iowa Autoloaders on an early dreadnought Oxygen torpedoes on 1905 diesel Torpedo Boats

"Please, UADevs, for the love of god, make this tweak. It's a decent idea, unlocking all hulls is a bit pointless compared to unlocking all technology across the years."

Agree! I have always liked the idea of doing modern refits, for example, a 1940 modernization refit of a 1916 ship, just as it was done very often in real life. For example, take a WWI-era ship and install modernised WW2-era engines and targeting systems on it.

Yet here you can't take hulls out of their 2-3 year brackets, so it's quite limiting and frustrating.

Edited by SPANISH_AVENGER
  • Like 7

just a small criticism to Nick Thomadis: in my opinion you have to lose "the habit" of saying "we'll give you more news SOON" because it doesn't make sense soon, it could be in a week or in a month, anyway thanks a lot for the news I hope that you will not be silent for another month

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Evil4Zerggin said:

Time to stack Resistance to -100% damage from guns?

Yeah I was hoping for less not more resistance in this update... trying to sink german and AH capital ships feels impossible enough as it is, what with 18" mk.III guns doing 50 hp of damage max pr. full pen rn against the late hulls.

I've had some fights where I've had over 200 full pens against a single ship with 18" guns and it still didn't go down. plz nerf!

Anyway thanks for the update on the campaign Nick, looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

I was also sad to see no changes to the Designer. That thing is still nowhere close to baseline version 

Yeah, hope they realise how important that mechanic is not only is it a core mechanic its the first one you interact with before anything else. Sprocket proves its possible and thats made by one bloke.

Also i want this game to be excellent as this could put games labs right at the top if done right.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

+1.

Give us a second checkbox: Unlock All Hulls and Unlock All Techs.

Done.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ColonelHenry said:

Please. Pleaseee give us the ability to edit the enemy ships in custom battles in this update. If we can save our designs, then the AI can simply use the designs we have saved. Why is it so hard?

This is actually, a very good idea. We could go against our designs, so we can face them, test them in various ways and at different distance too. Or in the future we could upload the designs in the steam workshop, and of course download them, so the AI can use the players ship designs. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Marshall99 said:

This is actually, a very good idea. We could go against our designs, so we can face them, test them in various ways and at different distance too. Or in the future we could upload the designs in the steam workshop, and of course download them, so the AI can use the players ship designs. 

Yeah and get absolutely wiped on the floor because your ships are to strong.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, ColonelHenry said:

Please. Pleaseee give us the ability to edit the enemy ships in custom battles in this update. If we can save our designs, then the AI can simply use the designs we have saved. Why is it so hard?

Fully agree with this request!!!

• Like 2