Game-Labs Forum

Pay to Win DLC

It is a trend that keeps seeping into the western market as a whole. But as you are seeing now its starting to over take this game as well. Now you need the newest DLC to compete and be a viable player, or you will be playing with such handicap that the game is not fun.

I was alright with the DLC being in the lower rate ships, let me stress not really happy but tolerant. I mean the La Wreck is nothing more than a seal clubber that I don't feel was good for the game but I put up with it. BUT NOW, there is DLC in our 3rd rates, something that should never have been touched. 1st to 3rd rates should never have been touched with DLC ships. IT's way to much of a power spike for anyone who buys the DLC over someone who doesn't.

Its to greedy. It bad for the game, I am not paying for it and I am sad that its here. I love this game, I want to see it do good, but not like this. Its to much and to far.

• Like 12

I'm not the best pvp player but I do ok. With that said I have been smoked by a bellona while in the redoubtable. I mean totally crushed. It's the captain that matters not the boat. Imo all this new dlc has done is allow more of the casual players start doing more pvp. More pvp more means more fun for everyone. You can also sink a redoubtable with a 5th rate if you know how to sail it. Or even with a snow. This dlc let's people go out and play the game for fun. Not spending all their time trying to build a big ship just to be to worried about losing it to actually sail it. Dlc levels the playing field and funds the game. I hope to see more of it myself. There's always the pve server if your really worried about pvp. If you do play the pvp server you should be fast enough to run from what you cant fight. Know your wind and the sailing profile of your enemy. This is very much a skill based game.

• Like 8

Many things break the balance in the game, and at this point the DLCs are the least important.

What I have clear is that if I buy a DLC I want to be able to play with it in conditions similar to other ships in the same category, but some intend to turn them into garbage ships to harvest medals.

• Like 1

Hmmm, let me be more clear with my point. I understand why we have DLC  in the game and how it can be healthy for the game. You mention some really good reasons. I am specifically talking about DLC in the top tier of ships 1st - 3rd rate. This is the biggest stage in the game, it is what allows the game to be viable on a competitive level. Its the one spot of this game that should remain healthy and shouldn't be watered down with a buy section. Do you think it will stop here? When do we get that 2nd rate DLC or even 1st Rate DLC?  These are supposed to be what separates hard work put into the game from casual. It should be earned not given or purchased. There is plenty of room everywhere else for the DLC, why does it need to be here?

2 minutes ago, phantomswake said:

Hmmm, let me be more clear with my point. I understand why we have DLC  in the game and how it can be healthy for the game. You mention some really good reasons. I am specifically talking about DLC in the top tier of ships 1st - 3rd rate. This is the biggest stage in the game, it is what allows the game to be viable on a competitive level. Its the one spot of this game that should remain healthy and shouldn't be watered down with a buy section. Do you think it will stop here? When do we get that 2nd rate DLC or even 1st Rate DLC?  These are supposed to be what separates hard work put into the game from casual. It should be earned not given or purchased. There is plenty of room everywhere else for the DLC, why does it need to be here?

You can capture any first rate you see in the world for FREE with almost no effort. It will take 2 mins. From NPCs. Of course they are not sailing the best ships but 1st rate with 100+ guns is a first rate anyway. Free one. 

• Like 13

55 minutes ago, phantomswake said:

It is a trend that keeps seeping into the western market as a whole. But as you are seeing now its starting to over take this game as well. Now you need the newest DLC to compete and be a viable player, or you will be playing with such handicap that the game is not fun.

I was alright with the DLC being in the lower rate ships, let me stress not really happy but tolerant. I mean the La Wreck is nothing more than a seal clubber that I don't feel was good for the game but I put up with it. BUT NOW, there is DLC in our 3rd rates, something that should never have been touched. 1st to 3rd rates should never have been touched with DLC ships. IT's way to much of a power spike for anyone who buys the DLC over someone who doesn't.

Its to greedy. It bad for the game, I am not paying for it and I am sad that its here. I love this game, I want to see it do good, but not like this. Its to much and to far.

You are a bit late, mate. The ship has sailed.
First such topic about 3rd rate DLC was in December here:

There are also some topics later, much the same after introducing Redoutable

9 minutes ago, phantomswake said:

I just want to counter that by saying the biggest long term hurdle is not the ships, but the upgrades you put on them. Those are far more costly and harder to come by in a prolonged conflict than the actual ships. 

DLC ships, even if they are a 1st rate will not get around that fundamental setback. Therefore a fleet of DLC of 1st rates vs a fleet of crafted ships with upgrades will be at a disadvantage. Just like crafted ships with nothing on vs crafted with the goodies.  Not to mention dlc port bonuses are so random more often than not you get terrible ones 

• Like 2

I'd like a definition of winning in an mmo before people whine like this.

Nobody is forcing anybody to pay for these ships and there are plenty of ways for you to get a very good ship which involve you playing the game and nothing else

Allowing players to bypass the grind by paying real money is fine by me and many others. They get their ship every 24 hours .. my fragile ego can handle that

• Like 3

my concern with dlc ships is this: you click a button, you have a ship without any effort whatsoever. when you capture an ai firstrate, it will be worth something to you, since you risked a ship to capture it and you invested time. a ship thats worth nothing to you will be sailed accordingly. some ppl sailing ships like that see it as a means to zerg down enemys on "real" ships, no matter the cost and risk, since there is no risk for them, they can get a replacement by the click of one button. yolo playstyle. and i think the redoutable is way to powerfull to give ppl to yolo around in.

• Like 2

20200210183358_1.thumb.jpg.71508310cf4dd9d571ec7c954717da17.jpg

i dont mind players like this to have it. loosing in fights like this, they need cheap replacement ships to be able to keep playing and supply targets. but what use is the redoutable to experienced players, other then to take risks they would not take with ships that are worth something?

• Like 2

"You can capture any first rate you see in the world for FREE with almost no effort."

How does this "FREE" first rate compare?  Well its hard to compare a 1st rate with a 3rd rate in the first place. But one of these ships gets seasoned wood (your choice) and located in a port of your choosing.  

"murdered by a crafted Snow,"  Is that a crafted snow you made with seasoned wood you got from a DLC herc that you disassembled?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phantomswake said:

How does this "FREE" first rate compare?  Well its hard to compare a 1st rate with a 3rd rate in the first place. But one of these ships gets seasoned wood (your choice) and located in a port of your choosing.  

Captured first rate can be in a port of your choosing too. Use the tow and its there. Once a day. 
And Captured NPC oak first rate will probably be stronger, thicker and have more firepower compared to any 3rd rate.
The only major difference is 50 dollars 😉

I am not getting where are you leading to? Are you just complaining on random things because you hate games with DLCs? 

• Like 5

You were ok as long as Herc & Requin DLC farmed the shallow, and you could farm the rest in crafted Christians ^^

Now that everyone can have a competitive ship even if not in a top clan, that's suddently not good..

What i see is more & more people fighting in ow, bad players still loose their redoutables pretty fast, but at least they come back and improve instead if quiting the game.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, admin said:

You can capture any first rate you see in the world for FREE with almost no effort. It will take 2 mins. From NPCs. Of course they are not sailing the best ships but 1st rate with 100+ guns is a first rate anyway. Free one. 

Dear Admin: We mad a test 1 IMplaceable (me) and 1 Redutable (clanmate) Where hooting for just broudsight of ur 100+ gun ship both nearly no Bookslots: Sunken in less than 8 mins...

Not Pay to win? how would u call that than?

I mean Player can Repair and it was just AI but: We both had lost 2 bars of our Armor... 

I got several PVP kills in a Trader's Lynx, despite her recent speed nerf. A lot of kills in Privateers and Lynxes.

Obviously, this is not for players who accept PVP only when being in the best ships, with best upgrades and all slots available, against new players in 6th rates only.

Fun can be found in any ship, with 3 conditions:

• Accept challenges,
  • Accept losing a ship without whining and insulting,
  • Have fun even if you don't win.

I accept and buy all DLC's: they are pay to have fun. 

• Like 7

"I am not getting where are you leading to? Are you just on random things because you hate games with DLCs?"

Whoa, hey now I think if you read, I even said that I thought some of the DLC has healthy reasons to be there. Please don't conclude that because I don't like the DLC in the 1-3 rates that I think all DLC is bad for the game. I think that there are bad DLC sometime and I think they can hurt the game. One of my examples was the La Wreck, I think it has balance issues, which is different than why I think 1-3 rate DLC is bad. Has nothing to do with balance. It has to do with keeping your high end play / content viable, and not watering it down. Part of a game is accomplishment and being able to just buy an end game ship is in dangerous territory I think.

World of tanks for example has teir 10 tanks that are payed tanks, but they don't have port battles and a persistent world, so different games are different in implementation.

• Like 1

The issue with the DLC ships is really a RvR issue. Players/clans with the 3rd rate DLC will be able to do more RvR because they can get a new ship every 24 hours...it will be a war of attrition that opposing players who sail crafted ships can't win.

• Like 1