Game-Labs Forum

Proposing update to loot method

Everyone knows how frustraitig it is when AI keeps doing its turning cycle to your stern making him usually die to upwind. And if you are in group there is many enemies around, you just dont have time to loot any enemies before they go too deep.

I suggest you can "Retrieve" loot in battle by button sending "longboats" to the shipwreck (add drop down menu to choose shipwreck). This would lock your ship at place for lets say 30 Seconds? And after that loot from the ship you have selected, it will open in trade window for you. You would need to send the "longboat" to all the wrecks invidually in the battle.
Ofcourse there should be a maximum range to this action.
This way its also dangerous to stop ship and loot middle of the fight, and if you get hit by enemy the process would be interrupted.

Now a few rules i would suggest to it. Looting items this way will only give you everything else but resources, so "loot items" only. To retrieve example 300 Teak logs you would still need to sail to that enemy ship for pick up. Also if you sail to the enemy ship yourself and then loot it and have not done the far away loot yet you could get EXTRA loot, would be nice pay for the effort.

I would also love to see a loot log, so all in the group can see what is looted. I feel right now that you are not getting the reward from your kills because your loot is either colelcted by others or it sinks to the bottom.

It would also be greatly appriciated if you could trade in battle. Or add some other way to share loot with group.
Best option ofcourse would be that everyone has their invidual loot, like in many other games already one mob gives loot to all group players acording to their effort. I would like that, and with this method it would be fair game. No griefing and crying, also its more rewarding to group up when you get abit more loot when groupped this way.

Ofcourse you would still be able to loot normally sailing to the wreck, but i think that should be bonus. Better reward if you make to the wreck yourself should be in order, as small "longboat" can't carry it all back to the ship lets say.
Idea: Longboat trade window would show all the loot, and you can pick up only certain weight of the goods! And if Devs wan't that something needs always be picked from wreck, still show the loot but has it greyd out in the window indicating you should sail over to pick it up. So a longboat could "scout" out wrecks you want to go for.

I don't want it to effect combat too much i just wish that the fruit of your efforts dont go to waste. Like it pretty much goes right now in most of the fights. I just wish there was less time consuming method to gather up the loot in the battle instances and sharing it to the group.

OR

Just add Extra reward when picking up from shipwreck and loot rest in loot window at after battle report like it used to be.

Add a trade option to that and be done with it.

20161002133910_1.thumb.jpg.2f83ae6650da46579b30755b09823029.jpg

This is the old after battle windows, i kind of liked it. Just add the loot to the logs here and it new textures and it would work.

Feel free to post your ideas, this is just my suggestion take what you want from it.

Edited by James Thomson
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, JoeForKyo said:

Oh yes, generally we have plenty of time and excellent wind to go there and loot them while the other 560 AI are back there disintegrating your crew. We bring our repairs previa thinking of a fight, if you have to loot them, it's your own mistake.

Except when in prolonged cruises inside enemy waters in the war server :) and continuous battle after battle.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:09 PM, Hethwill said:

Then you wouldn't be able to loot any repairs and rum from the sunken enemies during a fight.

Correct ?

You would still be able to loot normally, but right now alot of loot just sinks because we cant get to them. So if end battle report window would be back you would be able to loot some of that sinken loot again, like generic loot items.

48 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Except when in prolonged cruises inside enemy waters in the war server :) and continuous battle after battle.

Ofcourse the longboat could carry out the reparis too. But you would make yourself stationary for 30sec while performing this, and if you take enough damage the pick up would be interrupted. You would need ally to shield you while performing the pick up if there still was combat.

Ofcourse you would still be able to loot normally sailing to the wreck, but i think that should be bonus. Better reward if you make to the wreck yourself should be in order, as small "longboat" can't carry it all back to the ship lets say.
Idea: Longboat trade window would show all the loot, and you can pick up only certain weight of the goods! And if Devs wan't that something needs always be picked from wreck, still show the loot but has it greyd out in the window indicating you should sail over to pick it up. So a longboat could "scout" out wrecks you want to go for.

I don't want it to effect combat too much i just wish that the fruit of your efforts dont go to waste. Like it pretty much goes right now in most of the fights. I just wish there was less time consuming method to gather up the loot in the battle instances and sharing it to the group.

Edited by James Thomson

51 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

In that case, you still have the looted repairs from the battle before this one.

Edited by Holm Hansen
  • Like 1

Just now, Holm Hansen said:

In that case, you still have the lootet repairs from the battle before this one.

If you didn't loot the sinking wrecks how do you get them during the battle ? ( I mean you need them during the battle, not after ).

Imagine that you are short and still get attacked, you sink a enemy fast but desperately need repair cycles. You need them right now, in that battle, not after.

1 minute ago, Holm Hansen said:

In that case, you still have the lootet repairs from the battle before this one.

Or that yes,  but im not saying you would not be able to still loot the regular way by sail for the wreck.

Just adding few new ways to loot at least partly the far away wrecks that otherwise would be gone.

And if the devs were cool assing loot spread acording to damage done. So you will only see your part of the loot.

18 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

If you didn't loot the sinking wrecks how do you get them during the battle ? ( I mean you need them during the battle, not after ).

Imagine that you are short and still get attacked, you sink a enemy fast but desperately need repair cycles. You need them right now, in that battle, not after.

its quite simple, you go into the battle with repairs and you do not need to loot them for the currently battle. If you take those each time from the battles before, you can not run out of them in the case you have several battles in a row.

Edited by Holm Hansen

8 minutes ago, Holm Hansen said:

its quite simple, you go into the battle with repairs and you do not need to loot. if you take those from the battle before, you can not run out of them in many battles in a row

And what makes it better or worse than the system we have - exactly the point, i'm not pro nor against -  other than comfort of not having to anticipate a sinking and be on position to loot ? Or having your team loot an dshare afterwards ? ( assuming that in a team sharing is caring )

26 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

And what makes it better or worse than the system we have...

Its always nice when you standing next to the ship whose structure has shot down and being shot at from that in very close proximity and from the remaining opponents additional always happily in the back. You can not even avoid, if you want to have the loot. Or in the best case you will boarded by the sinking opponent.

How was it before patch 10? You defeated one opponent and turned to the next, or an opponent had shot down so far, that he is out of action and falls back slowly sinking. That was realism for me and not the approaching maneuver to get the loot. On top of that, you can use some opportunity not to shot down an enemy, because he is then in a position where you  cannot loot him.

Also, there are now sometimes misunderstandings between team members so that some ships are not looted.

... and I am sure there are more reasons for that

Edited by Holm Hansen
  • Like 3

I'm totally with Mr Hansen. If you need reps, bring it to the party on your own. 

Another fine, and maybe a bit more "realistic" or historically correct thing would be to make enemies not sink that fast, but strike their colors ans surrender to be looted whenever wanted/needed

• Like 3

In short, in games based on ranged combat, such a reward system that you have to loot manually, is simply wrong.

... and was it usual in line-battles (which went how it was planned) to leave the battle line and go looting to the enemy, after every sinking ship?

• Like 5

Indeed looting needs a better solution...

Historically boats would take prizes, ships would surrender (which crew would suicide and fight until their ship sinks with them ? ) etc.

Remove the "x" mechanism , every other way is better than that.

Edited by Jan van Santen
  • Like 2

@admin This is a game and as such the griefing by the AI has to stop.  I just fought an elite ingermanland and as I had him low on structure I maneuvered upwind at 45 degrees to prepare to maneuver to loot.  Then as he sinks the wind shifts 45 degrees in seconds to go exactly the bearing the wreck is in.  As this happens WAY too often, one must assume that this is a "feature" of the game by the devs.  @admin Taking away the loot a player has earned by means of stupid mechanics and tricks with shifting wind does not mean you win!  In fact you lose when people get fed up with the pitiful rewards and progression in this game and quit playing, and tell their friends not to bother.

If you are absolutely bent on keeping this worst loot mechanic in a video game, then remove the timer, so that when we decide its worth it to tack through wind that constantly changes to go against us, we finally get our earned loot.

why can we not have the best of both systems, you are able to loot in battle and after battle you get a screen of the remaining lootable ships holds? I think this would satisfy the annoyance of after battle looting and we still get to loot mid battle if we are in a rush :) The only time this becomes dicey is if a ship is killed but their comrades ensure the enemy cant loot it in battle, should they still be able to get the loot afterwards even though the enemies comrades stopped them?

• Like 1

Should be just dubloons and upgrades that get auto-scooped and given after the battle imho, picking up reps during pvp battles is sometimes a life-saver. Even then implenting this for ai kills only would be the safer route. The only reason i even commented is because of the nightmarish experience of trying to sail upwind in a lo/wo rattvisan to loot an elite that rocketed itself into the eye of the wind while sinking, and having the wind change the wrong way as soon as i made my final tack.

Edited by Potemkin

Ive always disliked this current system. Everything ends up requiring a tack to loot, practically 100% of the time. If there are multiple enemies you have to sacrifice the loot to continue to secure the sinks. You shouldn't have to decide to get some loot for fighting and winning or letting the remaining enemies go before the ships magically are unreachable, upwind.

You have to intentionally take more damage to stay with sinking enemies and sacrifice future positioning if the battle continues. Overall I think its poor. I fully expect it to remain in place.

• Like 1

Knowing what ai will do! 

Do not kill him until you have the wind to loot. Game always has been like this, so learning when to sink the npc, is another skill about pve carebearing! 

There used to be diverse fleets in NA, where a fleet consisted of few 3rd rates, few frigates and some 6-7th rates. So you should plan what order you sink, when to sink to get all the loot. We even used to take a smaller ship, to loot some ai. I miss those ai fleets, current ai fleets are not natural, 10x4th rate etc, or all the same class. I miss the variety of npc fleets. 

My opinion in battle looting should give you most loot, but after battle loot screen should give at least %50 loot. Cause battle finished, you waited the long boats to bring the loot and some loot already sank. Why not have a quality of life feature, this developers not like :)

Edited by AeRoTR

4 hours ago, AeRoTR said:

Knowing what ai will do! 

Do not kill him until you have the wind to loot. Game always has been like this, so learning when to sink the npc, is another skill about pve carebearing! 

There used to be diverse fleets in NA, where a fleet consisted of few 3rd rates, few frigates and some 6-7th rates. So you should plan what order you sink, when to sink to get all the loot. We even used to take a smaller ship, to loot some ai. I miss those ai fleets, current ai fleets are not natural, 10x4th rate etc, or all the same class. I miss the variety of npc fleets. 

My opinion in battle looting should give you most loot, but after battle loot screen should give at least %50 loot. Cause battle finished, you waited the long boats to bring the loot and some loot already sank. Why not have a quality of life feature, this developers not like :)

It's less of an issue with PvE and more of an issue with PvP. We just had the fight the other day that got split into three chunks. I sank what we believed was a gold ship with good mods on it, given its speed, and I couldn't afford to tack and loot it, nor could I afford to give up  my armor and stay beside him while he sank because there were more enemies to kill, so I had to sacrifice the loot on the ship to get to my clan mates to continue the fight. 

Looting doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why do you have to sail up to the ship to loot it? There are longboats specifically for that. You have to sacrifice movement in the battle to retrieve loot? What kind of design is that? Making people choose between loot and the current battle. The loot is the reward after a battle. Your punishing people for making them sacrifice positioning for loot. After a battle, no loot, what a waste. It can be done better.

• Like 1