Game-Labs Forum

Patch 30: Combat and boarding feedback

It would be better if they would show some action from the decks,like a sailor coming aboard with ropes or ladders deployed ,the point and click just isn't very good and the calculating now is ,you don't know what is being done,i don't see the point in it . maybe have one guy in the back made of blocks that represents muskets and when all the blocks shot away/Random,then you know you have won the musket battle..I lost a battle to muskets while I was barricading ,I was in a herc or a navy brig vs a mercury ,and he rammed me and I f10 brace but I didn't see any damage on his part.and also another time I waited to see if I took crew damage from a ramming with no f10 ,nada..

Edited by MacaroniMax
ading more text

Just now, MacaroniMax said:

It would be better if they would show some action from the decks,like a sailor coming aboard with ropes or ladders deployed ,the point and click just isn't very good and the calculating now is ,you don't know what is being done,i don't see the point in it . maybe have one guy in the back made of blocks that represents muskets and when all the blocks shot away/Random,then you know you have won the musket battle..

I hate the rock, paper, scissors game of boarding.  It's pointless IMO.  I'd rather have it auto-decided based on all the factors involved.  Then we could have a nice little mini-movie of a boarding action with the winner announced upon completion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I hate the rock, paper, scissors game of boarding.  It's pointless IMO.  I'd rather have it auto-decided based on all the factors involved.  Then we could have a nice little mini-movie of a boarding action with the winner announced upon completion. 

If it is auto-decided you would then have folks complain that they have too little control on overcoming the odds.

And a computer simulation of %chances to win/lose would feel infuriating for some.

I currently like how boarding is, there is still relevant information so you can expect what your opponent will do.

Crew, marines, firepower, and melee are all stats to look at and see what is coming.

Edited by Teutonic

4 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

yeah even 2d ranks would help ..im all about paper

3 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

If it is auto-decided you would then have folks complain that they have too little control on overcoming the odds.

And a computer simulation of %chances to win/lose would feel infuriating for some.

I currently like how boarding is, there is still relevant information so you can expect what your opponent will do.

Crew, marines, firepower, and melee are all stats to look at and see what is coming.

I like that what he was doing vs me wasn't as predictable, but  the motion to make a counter action needs something ,I took a good whack with brace vs muskets ,even though brace was not well prepared on my part ,I guess maybe I need some tutoring

19 minutes ago, MacaroniMax said:

It would be better if they would show some action from the decks,like a sailor coming aboard with ropes or ladders deployed ,the point and click just isn't very good and the calculating now is ,you don't know what is being done,i don't see the point in it . maybe have one guy in the back made of blocks that represents muskets and when all the blocks shot away/Random,then you know you have won the musket battle..I lost a battle to muskets while I was barricading ,I was in a herc or a navy brig vs a mercury ,and he rammed me and I f10 brace but I didn't see any damage on his part.and also another time I waited to see if I took crew damage from a ramming with no f10 ,nada..

It would be great indeed but I think that working on the animation part is quite time consuming. Unless they hire whoever did this for the job x'D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95k0fpZSVes

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 11:51 AM, Aerospace said:

About new ROE rule of reinforcing weakside for 20 minutes, it is such an abusable feature. Of course being abused by guys who are mostly into pvp ! 

I give you a nice example. Hey let's do 3 vs 3 battle ? Okay let's do it :) and battle starts your team with 3x1st rate and enemy joins with 2x1st rate plus a 2nd rate. When you beat them, they will say you were superior, you had 3x1st rate !, but why didn't they join with 3x1st rate as they could easly ???

REASON: cause if they fart up, they can call another mate during 20 minutes, so it becomes 3x1st against 3x1st and one 2nd, and do it when 20 minutes is about to end :) I can also exploit it, how? Just call a friend from another nation to join their side, bumm who is clever now ? (of course after 20 minutes timer is done, friend will say "oh enjoy your battle, I don't wanna distrupt your duel, I exit, bye")

only idiots and douchebags would use this method but i see your point

Edited by Guest

@Wyy I was kind of having a duel with this guy (he is also twitching and from a certain nation but just a luck, it is never important). My L'Ocean vs his pink Victory, we start fighting he tries to get behind me, stern rake me, he can not, he tries to demast me and he can not. So he starts kiting, I ask if he is running if the battle is over ? and he says no, and than silly me notice another ship is shooting from behind. Another Victory, his teammate just behind me. Yes I got a bit frustrated because I thought this PVP guy to be honest, as he is skilled he would not need this kind of shit. Unfortunately I learnt  that he was actualy  a duchebag, I was more angry to the developers "as they brought up this new stupid ROE". This shows me there will be no fair fights anymore. 

If you are an asshole do not forget to fight a guy with a higher BR, so you can rape him with your friend. Attack with fast Vic, just tag that Santi or L'Ocean kite, so your friend with fully boarding fast Santi can join and it is fun RIGHT ? Appy this to all ships, and yes you will have lot's of PVP but for a short time, enjoy that short orgasm and get flushed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aerospace said:

@Wyy I was kind of having a duel with this guy (he is also twitching and from a certain nation but just a luck, it is never important). My L'Ocean vs his pink Victory, we start fighting he tries to get behind me, stern rake me, he can not, he tries to demast me and he can not. So he starts kiting, I ask if he is running if the battle is over ? and he says no, and than silly me notice another ship is shooting from behind. Another Victory, his teammate just behind me. Yes I got a bit frustrated because I thought this PVP guy to be honest, as he is skilled he would not need this kind of shit. Unfortunately I learnt  that he was actualy  a duchebag, I was more angry to the developers "as they brought up this new stupid ROE". This shows me there will be no fair fights anymore. 

If you are an asshole do not forget to fight a guy with a higher BR, so you can rape him with your friend. Attack with fast Vic, just tag that Santi or L'Ocean kite, so your friend with fully boarding fast Santi can join and it is fun RIGHT ? Appy this to all ships, and yes you will have lot's of PVP but for a short time, enjoy that short orgasm and get flushed.

if we look at it this way, the Ingame clock goes 10 mins is 9 irl seconds (yes i've counted), so if you fought him for i would assume 10 mins which is not an exaggeration, that would be 10 ingame hours. This is why i would want battles to close and the ones in render distance are able to join from their exact position in OW. I made an suggestion about all of it aswel as what would happen after the battle but not a single word from admin while i got some good feedback on the suggestion by players. @admin

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, Wyy said:

if we look at it this way, the Ingame clock goes 10 mins is 9 irl seconds (yes i've counted), so if you fought him for i would assume 10 mins which is not an exaggeration, that would be 10 ingame hours. This is why i would want battles to close and the ones in render distance are able to join from their exact position in OW. I made an suggestion about all of it aswel as what would happen after the battle but not a single word from admin while i got some good feedback on the suggestion by players

I agree with you %100, that is also my logic.

On subject of repairs and now that every battle is simply a repair war that drags battles out forever: How about changing the repairs to be a sliding repair amount. Meaning, repairing once will get you repaired to 90%, repair a second time and the max it could repair you to is 75%, repair a 3rd time and the max it could repair is up to 50%.....etc. Of course each repair would still do 300 HP at a time, but only up to the repair percentage for each repair use. This would force people to choose the proper time to repair, and would prevent people from having 100% healthy ships and sails the entire battle.

I find it ridiculous that, in the middle of battle, people can fully repair their ships and sails to 100% every 5 minutes. It is especially sickening when you are barely getting any damage against someone in special woods and they just seem to have a 100% ship and sails the entire time.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

On subject of repairs and now that every battle is simply a repair war that drags battles out forever: How about changing the repairs to be a sliding repair amount. Meaning, repairing once will get you repaired to 90%, repair a second time and the max it could repair you to is 75%, repair a 3rd time and the max it could repair is up to 50%.....etc. Of course each repair would still do 300 HP at a time, but only up to the repair percentage for each repair use. This would force people to choose the proper time to repair, and would prevent people from having 100% healthy ships and sails the entire battle.

I find it ridiculous that, in the middle of battle, people can fully repair their ships and sails to 100% every 5 minutes. It is especially sickening when you are barely getting any damage against someone in special woods and they just seem to have a 100% ship and sails the entire time.

Game slowly turns in POTBS with all the magic repairs you get, I enjoyed when you could only repair once, bring back those days!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nelson Hornblower said:

Game slowly turns in POTBS with all the magic repairs you get, I enjoyed when you could only repair once, bring back those days!

I thought 1 repair was too few as battles ended too soon. Maybe a max of 3 or 4 repairs? That would be easier coding than my suggestion lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shrez said:

AI is little bit to strong.

The only things I find too strong now with the AI are their reload time and the ridiculous angles they can fire and pen. It feels as though Ai has every reload mod in the game and even imagined all at once. Especially the Bucentaure....holy cow firing every second doing damage every shot at every angle. They seem to touch me wrong every time. I will go cry in the corner some more. );

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

This is the way to go 👍

According to your boading mods you can play cards in the auto-boarding game.

Crew number and morale is deciding factor while your boarding mods just contribute to make it faster or to save you in a lucky position where you should lose. Just we will be seeing little men shooting and fighting on deck, you are given few chances to use cards or commands. 

Btw the new fire broadside during boarding feature is too powerful as overal damage is increased, it is a bit broken.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aerospace said:

@Moscalb LUL, please provide feedback.

@Xemko @Aerospace I don’t know what to say)) Why should I fight on the fir Victory against the heavy ocean and Ingermanland. In Jamaica. Why am I not crying on a forum about how the British, instead of fighting 25 to 25, attack my bellona 6 in 1. Why should I ask my friend to wait outside? In addition, we did not agree on a duel. So I don’t care about it)) British Zerg players are the last to whom I will give a fair fight having the opportunity to kill them in the majority. Aero you remember fight 3x bellona, agamemnon & ingermanland? very fire fight... as well as all the battles that the British provide... except for some players like @Liq And after the fight with you, we again fight against a zerg (with you) :)
Btw record from this evening: https://youtu.be/LICZl4DdOxs 😉

Edited by Moscalb
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Aerospace said:

man, battle open 20 minutes with not fair BR. U have 20 minutes to call help.

but yea, cry on forum - this is best idea 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wyy said:

only idiots and douchebags would use this method but i see your point

Your heart is too pure, Wyy. ;)

Saw a Russian cerb hanging around the Mona PZ the other day. There was a Russian Bellona popping in and out of port. I'm sure you can connect the dots...

It's a prime example of how kills and assists are supposed to help with player retention. It's all working as intended for now, but we'll experience the fallout of this old and rejected mechanic... again.

19 hours ago, van der Decken said:

5 Days ago, with the new Damage System, most people complained battles were over to fast. And now this?

i think it just fine as it is. we got biger issues i  this game

20 minutes ago, Captain Reverse said:

man, battle open 20 minutes with not fair BR. U have 20 minutes to call help.

but yea, cry on forum - this is best idea 

Hmmm," this is best idea"? 

it would be 

3-5 minutes and no BR.

after 1o minutes you are shot to pieces already, where do you need help for ...if they are not coming in the first 5 minutes they are not coming at all (mostly)

also when i arrive at the scene it is always closed by the BR.... 9 times out of 10. (i call it a denial and a game restriction

i am not even allowed to have a look.

(and when i am allowed to spawn in a battle at 20 miles away in my 3 knots against the wind sailing ocean )

Edited by Thonys

how is that 20min open battle working? @admin

yesterday was a battle from friends. friends side 800br - enemy side 900br. battle was closed after 2min. I could not join and a bellona tagged me

bellona tagged my santi. battle was open on both sides for 20min. 

i cant understand this mechanic.

i think there is a little bug