Game-Labs Forum

Testbed Feedback - Battle UI, Localization, Patrols, Delivery quests

2 hours ago, Intrepido said:

What are the "clan ressources missions"? We have never heard of them.

I hope it's not like members, officers and diplomats have to please clan creator 24/7 by bringing indiamans full of hookers from far far away :D

Sorry for offtopic :(

tested battle with equal ships.

all balanced, a 5th rate can kill a 4th risking a lot but winning if player is smart and skilled. i killed an Aga AI with my carros trinco without books and i won with 3 notch of structure and 2 of right armor...left was gone. also i saved all my masts and so did Aga. Aga placed 2 full broadsides on me destroying all left side as it should be with 24pdr guns, but structure resisted enought to move and protect masts and fire my guns on him.

now, it depends all upon player's skill.

good job

• Like 1

2 hours ago, admin said:

But for hull it was always one structure. Hitting it repeatedly lowers its integrity even if you shoot at the same area, because of energy transfer to overall structure.

So if I bounce my shots or they just partially penetrate, it should transfer the most of the kinetic energy into the hull and to overall structure. At least more than penetrating shots that continue flying. scnr.

One thing that I hate in Naval Action, is... the NPC keep shooting even though their ship is already disabled to sail (structure HP + One side gone), and yeah, they still fight. At this point, every crew and ship would've struck their colors and surrended. I almost sunk one time because I was trying to get closer to the ship, because I was going to loot it and I didn't want to lose it (sinking before looting) and the NPC kept shooting me every 5 seconds, even though they were sinking FAST (Structure HP + One Side + Pump gone). By that time, the logical conclusion for a situation like that would be ALL HANDS repairing the ship/survival mode kicks in and gunnery crew, rigging crew, all gets into reloading shock. Crew loses morale and lose the thirst to fight.

Something like that would be good for this new damage model, because right now, even tho it's certain that you sunk the enemy ship, they will blast you out of the water no mater what kinda of situation they are, even sinking for god sakes.

- How long will the maintenance take?

Edited by Portuguese Privateer
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Portuguese Privateer said:

One thing that I hate in Naval Action, is... the NPC keep shooting even though their ship is already disabled to sail (structure HP + One side gone), and yeah, they still fight. At this point, every crew and ship would've struck their colors and surrended. I almost sunk one time because I was trying to get closer to the ship, because I was going to loot it and I didn't want to lose it (sinking before looting) and the NPC kept shooting me every 5 seconds, even though they were sinking FAST (Structure HP + One Side + Pump gone). By that time, the logical conclusion for a situation like that would be ALL HANDS repairing the ship/survival mode kicks in and gunnery crew, rigging crew, all gets into reloading shock. Crew loses morale and lose the thirst to fight.

Something like that would be good for this new damage model, because right now, even tho it's certain that you sunk the enemy ship, they will blast you out of the water no mater what kinda of situation they are, even sinking for god sakes.

- How long will the maintenance take?

+100000
One of the most annoying parts of any battle, being forced to take damage to loot items. I agree that we need an auto-surrender feature. Crew moral should be a part of the whole battle, not just boarding. I would go even further and suggest that a big enough shock should cause instant surrender. If the ship isn't taken or sunk, morale can recover after a few minutes and the ship could return to the battle. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Borch said:

Is the patch going to be released with new damage model or without it, so you will get more time to test it first?

yes the patch is going to be deployed with the damage model
I love the new damage model.
Ship class updrade feels and matter, unlike before where i could destroy the LGV in a cutter with no sweat.
Right now i cannot even sink a brig or a snow in my cutter and it connects the importance of ships and upgrades on so many levels. 
To sink a heavier ship you need to slow its sailing and turning down by shooting sails, then reduce crew.. 

We are going to lower the turn rates to more appropriate levels (upgraded turn calculations based on better formulas) which will allow more precise shooting and raking (which was very hard before due to ships much faster turning )

• Like 16

Well, yeah... would be nice to have some "very shallow" areas that would only allow Lynx, Trader Lynx, Cutter, Traders Cutter, Gun Boat, Yacht, Rookie Brig, Traders Brig, Mortar Brig, Privateer and Pickle.

This would prevent those tiny ships from becoming completely obsolete with the new damage model and would create a interesting place for new players, maybe even with some unimportant ports for noobs to practice port battles. This area could be some lakes like Guacata, Rivers ( there are rivers indicated on the map but you can not travel most of them ) and other shallow regions that barely see any action otherwise.

@admin I think it would be something to seriously consider, especially for new player retention and to give the smallest ship a place in the game, where they still matter.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, rediii said:

Someone tested the new player experience already? Because it sounds like we are going from bad to very bad in this

Testing it every day. 
And no it's not going from bad to very bad. You finally see and feel the difference between ships which gives you the natural desire to upgrade the vessel and get better. 
Bigger ship = dangerous. Previous dogma that basic cutter can sink everything up mid level 5th rates now feels like a huge mistake.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, admin said:

Testing it every day. 
And no it's not going from bad to very bad. You finally see and feel the difference between ships which gives you the natural desire to upgrade the vessel and get better. 
Bigger ship = dangerous. Previous dogma that basic cutter can sink everything up mid level 5th rates now feels like a huge mistake.

Better ship class and equip makes the difference, not skill anymore. Dont sound like a thing that is better than before.

Sounds like: Braindead Noob in 5th rate can easily sink a veteran in 6th rate. Is that really what you want? 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Currently some ships turn on a dime, fighting PvE or sometimes players is endless turning in circles to protect the weak side and it's very annoying. 

Admin should also remember that AI has much greater turn rate than a player, it feels very unnatural.

Yes. Finally we see. But they do not have bonuses for turning they just use yards well and do not make mistakes - as a result they SEEM to turn too well.
This problem is identified and we improving it. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Sven Silberbart said:

Better ship class and equip makes the difference, not skill anymore. Dont sound like a thing that is better than before.

Sounds like: Braindead Noob in 5th rate can easily sink a veteran in 6th rate. Is that really what you want? 

I would reframe your question in a different more positive way. Do you really want to keep artificial 100% bonus in DPS for lower caliber guns? Do you really want to keep an artificial 100-200% bonus in HP for smaller ships? If yes, why not make all ships to have the same DPS and Same HP and same speed and turn rate so skill will remain the only thing that matter? 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, admin said:

yes the patch is going to be deployed with the damage model
I love the new damage model.
Ship class updrade feels and matter, unlike before where i could destroy the LGV in a cutter with no sweat.
Right now i cannot even sink a brig or a snow in my cutter and it connects the importance of ships and upgrades on so many levels. 
To sink a heavier ship you need to slow its sailing and turning down by shooting sails, then reduce crew.. 

We are going to lower the turn rates to more appropriate levels (upgraded turn calculations based on better formulas) which will allow more precise shooting and raking (which was very hard before due to ships much faster turning )

any plans on adding dynamic aim when the ship is affected by waves in the middle of a broadside?

@admin and @Sven Silberbart I think the truth is just inbetween the middle of your last posts. I like the new damage model because it is more realistic and gives average players that invested weeks or month in crafting a good ship a chance against good players in weaker ships. AngIe, sailing abilities and tactical skill should still be important. It's a matter of tuning. Nerfing the turnrates a bit or nerfing the tack time of big ships might be good as long as the combat mechanic gets not dumbed down to much to a point where a big ship gets a insta-win button. It should (as a common rule) at least be slower than the smaller ship, tack slower and be less turnable. Otherwise we might see OW full of fir/fir speed 1st rates. That would be really boring. I think the developers love this game so they will find a way. Take your time for tuning, I am looking forward to test the mechanic.

Edited by Sir Loorkon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, admin said:

Currently, it is extremely easy to recover from your sails getting shredded.  With chain also being limited, sails ultimately stay fairly healthy.  Will there be an upper limit on repairs in battle to help realize the idea above?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, admin said:

...it connects the importance of ships and upgrades on so many levels. ...

This sentence is making me ask for a change in testbed setup:

If ugrades (and thus I assume skill slots, too) matter more in the new model, than the redeemable ships we get on testbed imo should not come 3/5 no trim , no slots unlocked.

Right now 2 parameters are changed when switching to testbed: A: I get a ship of inferior quality and B: the surroundings (eg ai dmg model) are different.

As a scientist I have learned: changing 2 variables can lead to 3 different influences: A, B and AB.

It's impossible to tell in 1 test which of the 3 does make a difference (could even mean zero difference bec A and B balance each other)

So strictly speaking: all my comments on testbed damage must be half educated guesswork, since I was forced to compare apples to oranges....

The clean solution: I get a copy of my life server ship on testbed. Or I can myself assemble the ship I use on testbed.

In last testing phase this was less of a problem since crafting and looting was so easy, that I could sail a ship of top quality fast.

This time however I had to compare PvE damage of a 3/5 no trim no skills Pavel and Victory  to the 5/5 top geared Buccentaure and LO i normally do PvE with  (Aka compare apples to oranges)

One of the reasons why I a) used a admiralty Bellona on testbed mostly (more experience on life server in these) and  b ) quit testbed right after fulfilling the kill/board requirements which was before the new dmg model was patched....

Edited by Jan van Santen
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, admin said:

It works like you described for crew damage, cannon damage and internal module damage. So for crew if you inflicted enough casualties on the gun deck you wont be able to destroy them further. (same with sails) 

But for hull it was always one structure. Hitting it repeatedly lowers its integrity even if you shoot at the same area, because of energy transfer to overall structure.

@admin perhaps for the horizontal damage, the" locked position for guns could give some more crew damage "  

just to introduce the variety on the type of gun uses (hitting all gun holes with crew behind it )

where locked guns strike on the complete horizontal  hull surface (instead of a certain area on the hull with unlocked or 250 meters)

Edited by Thonys

24 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

Currently, it is extremely easy to recover from your sails getting shredded.  With chain also being limited, sails ultimately stay fairly healthy.  Will there be an upper limit on repairs in battle to help realize the idea above?

i feel if they link up sail hp to mast hp that would simulate rigging ropes tearing which would destabilize the masts if not fixed urgently