Game-Labs Forum

To All Of Those Hunting Around Capital Ports

I hunt in the capital areas, mostly solo, as most brits and US can attest to.  Unfortunately without being able to identify the target beforehand I have no idea if this is a seal I'm clubbing or an old vet I just tagged or mission jumped.  It's almost to the point now where I don't even want to let folks go because If it's not me killing them, someone else will come along up by Ctown in 10mins and club this guy anyway.  I wonder how many new players are sunk now that we can't identify them prior to the battle...then before when we could selectively pick and choose our targets.  I'm still not convinced this forced anonymity we have on the OW is a good thing.  

Anyway, until this game creates a necessity for players to leave the safe zone....players won't leave it.  You can't fault new players or casual minded ones for NOT leaving their safer waters if they don't have to.  Especially with the gank-in-numbers groups we have roaming around the main capitals these days.

You also can't fault the hunters who can only find prey outside the capitals.  You can however fault the hunters who don't fight other hunters.  I've seen Prussians and French just stand off, watch each other on the OW and wait for a couple US players to leave the safe zone for all 10 of them to go and gank.  The other day we sunk a couple french off Charleston who were waiting for US players to pop out of a battle and their leader went on to whine in global chat about how sinking french up there wasn't allowed.  We should be only sinking US.....     How very sad.

This game is being ruined by the "win at all costs" mindset of players that refuse to target anyone else that could possibly be a threat to them.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 5

Except for the clanbased system I fully agree with Christendom. I like his suggestions.

The actual system is so boring because it tooks ages to find a fight in open world. PVPzones are broken by ganking. The last changes did not fix that so I see rarely a point in going there.

The reinforcementzones should be 100 percent save for lower ranks but completely unsave for all ranks above master and commander or maybe postcaptain. 

The problem is not the reinforcementzone but rearadmirals hiding in those reinforcementzones who are not willing to fight even PVP or learn PVP but are playing on a PVP server.

There is a large desperate map and it is pointless to travel there alone to be ganked at the end. Where should I go when I want PVP but I do not want to travel 5 hours to get a good fight?

42 minutes ago, Vile Executioner said:

My suggestion is pretty simple, don’t allow production in capital area at all other than hull repairs and guns. If you want to build a ship or upgrade find a place to do it that doesn’t protect you = open world trading and movement. Limit missions to lower ranks only in reinforcement area by making it to where after max rank you can no longer do mission in reinforcement zone and have to find another port to operate out of. 

Carezones are meant to be fallback areas. Taking away what they are supposed to makes it kind of fake feature. 

Don't get me wrong I would love to see the zones get changed so they still serve their purpose but stop making rich players richer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Loorkon said:

Except for the clanbased system I fully agree with Christendom. I like his suggestions.

The actual system is so boring because it tooks ages to find a fight in open world. PVPzones are broken by ganking. The last changes did not fix that so I see rarely a point in going there.

The reinforcementzones should be 100 percent save for lower ranks but completely unsave for all ranks above master and commander or maybe postcaptain. 

The problem is not the reinforcementzone but rearadmirals hiding in those reinforcementzones who are not willing to fight even PVP or learn PVP but are playing on a PVP server.

There is a large desperate map and it is pointless to travel there alone to be ganked at the end. Where should I go when I want PVP but I do not want to travel 5 hours to get a good fight?

Game boring and unbalanced, gives no content=low player numbers.

That is why you can not find PVP.

Why don't NPC ships attack player ships from another nation on contact? It used to happen a long time ago. People want the safe zones removed but how unrealistic is it that they can sit outside a nation capital and not get attacked by NPC fleets?

So instead of having safe zones why not have danger zones for capital campers and any NPC ship that spots them attacks them on sight and yes the open world speed of these ships should be on a par with players.

The battle should remain open also so other people can help the NPCs with the capital camper

32 minutes ago, Fletch67 said:

Why don't NPC ships attack player ships from another nation on contact? It used to happen a long time ago. People want the safe zones removed but how unrealistic is it that they can sit outside a nation capital and not get attacked by NPC fleets?

So instead of having safe zones why not have danger zones for capital campers and any NPC ship that spots them attacks them on sight and yes the open world speed of these ships should be on a par with players.

The battle should remain open also so other people can help the NPCs with the capital camper

That would be annoying. Chances are the ai would just tag players before the hunter could chase down its target. I wager thats what you want. But I dont want to spend my time running away from AI.

I hate to be a broken record of this example,  but it did work on the other game, much similar to this one.  You see those red zones, those are PvP zones so every one knew where to get PvP.  The rest of the map pretty much you where able to freely PvE and do what ever you want in freedom.  Just about every MMO out there has PvE zones and safe zones and you have to be certain levels to even enter the PvP zones.  You can't camp a capital of a faction or newbie zone.   This game has a unhealthy habit to support the PvP Seal Clubbers and gankers with the mechanics slowly changing them to give more and more false hope of security.   Why shouldn't folks be able to PvE in safety if they want and than go off to RvR and PvP if they want to?  And don't give me that crap, "They should just go to the PvE server."  Than you would have no one to hunt.  Casualy want to play the game at there own pace and than if they feel like some PvP than go do it, not have it forced down there throat 24/7 by guys that seem to have no jobs or any other life.    This game was never promised as a PvP only game, about as close as you gotten to that was NA:L and we all know how that failed.  It will not survive on a Pure PVP note, you need the casuals and the carebears to make the game work and last.  

O63V1ey.png

• Like 1

Slim barnacle... phhht

"please devs, make caribbean runescape please"

- the other side -

"more age of sail ww2 online type wargame neede"

- yet more -

"age of sails aces high NOW! "

So, what the hell do we want ? I agree with you man. We should stop suggesting and let devs 100% close doors and do whatever they feel like and to hell with whiners.

• Like 3

Lets be aware that the weakest nation is the US because it is so remote and hidden from pvp that its players are not forged in the fires of pvp.

The strongest pvpers come from the least safe nations and the nations that are located closer to pvp hotzones.

The poor US is way too far from pvp that isnt out right ganking.

I feel pretty bad for the US. They've been getting bullied for a while now and aren't getting the opportunity to grow like a nation should. A lot of the people ganking may try to justify it but if they were the ones being camped at their capital so much then I'm sure they would be the ones complaining about it. At the very least let noobs play in relative peace. I've done plenty of hunting around capitals in the past, including Charleston, but I always try to leave noobs alone. I may fight them but I won't sink them. I'm hoping we can improve the new player experience but events like this all but destroy that hope. If you are one of those who will sink inexperienced players with no mercy and only do it for the sake of killing then you should really consider pulling your head out of your ass and set an example for others.

28 minutes ago, Flinch said:

Lets be aware that the weakest nation is the US because it is so remote and hidden from pvp that its players are not forged in the fires of pvp.

The strongest pvpers come from the least safe nations and the nations that are located closer to pvp hotzones.

The poor US is way too far from pvp that isnt out right ganking.

This is a bullshit argument. 

The US is the weakest nation because it consistently gets hunted day in and day out by multiple nations who, instead of fighting each other, simply just help each other sink the maximum amount of noobs they can for PVP marks and forum screenshot egos.  Your crew included.  Veteran players in the US don't exist.  They either move on to other nations that are less farmed out or simply quit out of frustration.  The US has quite literally been backed into the safe zone and they have nowhere else to sail.  

Prussia isn't good because they are located near tortue.  They are good because good pvpers joined the nation and then folks tired of getting farmed outside Ctown or KPR joined them.  Same with the WO group.  Majority of WO was at some point in the US or GB and decided to be one of the clubbers rather than the seals, affirming my previous point.  Veteran players don't stick around in the farmed nations, they latch on to a crew and then proceed to help with the farming.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

Just now, Hethwill said:

Slim barnacle... phhht

"please devs, make caribbean runescape please"

- the other side -

"more age of sail ww2 online type wargame neede"

- yet more -

"age of sails aces high NOW! "

So, what the hell do we want ? I agree with you man. We should stop suggesting and let devs 100% close doors and do whatever they feel like and to hell with whiners.

All of those would be epic games though, you gotta admit. I've never asked for exactly those but taking the best of each (openness, logistics, realism/immersion) respectively.

NA is not that epic and not that congruent in its ideas. Maybe because devs listen to the ideas more than they listen to the problems, which they could fix themselves without needing entire presentations of hugely complicated suggestions, each taking the game into a whole new realm of development?

Devs need to share their vision so we can get on the same page here. There's so many different ways to solve the OW pvp problem, but which one lines up with what the game is suppose to look like when it's all said and done?

10 minutes ago, Christendom said:

This is a bullshit argument. 

The US is the weakest nation because it consistently gets hunted day in and day out by multiple nations who, instead of fighting each other, simply just help each other sink the maximum amount of noobs they can for PVP marks and forum screenshot egos.  Your crew included.  Veteran players in the US don't exist.  They either move on to other nations that are less farmed out or simply quit out of frustration.  The US has quite literally been backed into the safe zone and they have nowhere else to sail.  

Prussia isn't good because they are located near tortue.  They are good because good pvpers joined the nation and then folks tired of getting farmed outside Ctown or KPR joined them.  Same with the WO group.  Majority of WO was at some point in the US or GB and decided to be one of the clubbers rather than the seals, affirming my previous point.  Veteran players don't stick around in the farmed nations, they latch on to a crew and then proceed to help with the farming.

There are great players out there who are nationally American and would probably join the US if it was in a better position that wasnt tucked so far away from any other nation.

It takes just over 30 minutes to sail from Charleston to Rio Seco if you leave when the wind is perfect. What group of pvpers wants to sail that far for content? Rio seco isnt even busy anymore so you need to sail an hour to get to La Habana to fight spanish.

Just now, Flinch said:

There are great players out there who are nationally American and would probably join the US if it was in a better position that wasnt tucked so far away from any other nation.

It takes just over 30 minutes to sail from Charleston to Rio Seco if you leave when the wind is perfect. What group of pvpers wants to sail that far for content? Rio seco isnt even busy anymore so you need to sail an hour to get to La Habana to fight spanish.

Luckily there are freetowns where even the most remote of nations can hang out.  

Game is stuck in a negative loop

1) Force causuals and traders to get out of the safe zones ... they will quit ... and you get further drop in player numbers ... then hunters without easy preys will quit as well.

2) try to "add nice new PVE or PVP content to lure out people out of safezones" .... good solution on paper ... but to do this you need fresh money ... fresh money comes from good DLCs ... put ingame good DLC to get money ... the anti P2W inquisition uproars, threatens boycotts and quits.

3) Do almost nothing, just tweaking here and there, but basically leaving things as they are .... slow erosion of players number due to boredom.

Edited by victor

25 minutes ago, beagleplease said:

A lot of this game problems would be solved if they speed up ow travel.

The 20 or so guys i used to play with quit because of this.

They already did that once and it's unlikely to happen again. The only thing it would do is make going from point A to point B slightly faster, and right now that's not a commonly talked about problem.

34 minutes ago, beagleplease said:

A lot of this game problems would be solved if they speed up ow travel

I disagree.  

One of the appealing parts of NA-OW is the experience of long sails and a decent sized open world.

We already have high powered speedboats rocketing across the waves.  The speed had increased enough.  

Perhaps someday NA legends will be reopened for all those who dislike sailing.

Consider the players who like sailing and those who don't play, because ships in OW kinda feel like a powerboats.

• Like 1

well they need to please one crowd or the other, and i suspect the crowd i'm with is larger considering how few people play this game now.

Sailing around for days in an empty ocean might be the authentic experience but most people don't have time for that shit.

what exactly is there to like about endless sailing exactly please explain? 

everyone complains about empty oceans.  The world is too big.

Edited by beagleplease
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, beagleplease said:

well they need to please one crowd or the other, and i suspect the crowd i'm with is larger considering how few people play this game now.

Sailing around for days in an empty ocean might be the authentic experience but most people don't have time for that shit.

what exactly is there to like about endless sailing exactly please explain? 

everyone complains about empty oceans.  The world is too big.

It's not too big. It's just not all being used. RVR is a good reason to spread out but there's no OW reason to spread out. Nothing really to do on OW besides patrols and trading.