Game-Labs Forum

Patch 14: Part 2 experimental patch increasing realism in ship behavior

admin

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

Aga tacks with her butt now. 

Surprise may be super comfortable now, but try to do the same in an LGV.

Sailing profile matters more now and as a tool to differentiate between fighting pixels in a game I think it's terrific!

Auto skippers will get stuck without hope of ever getting out without touching some keys. People with a clue will be able to swing their bow downwind faster than before after a tack.

Sailing and fighting will be even more challenging and fun than before.

These are the most fun changes in a long time, whatever the squirrels say.

TBH, the scenario is pretty much this:

1) who already knew how to manual sail will play just as before, even better.

2) Who did not learn how to manual sail (since there is no instruction or tutorial) will likely leave the game.

3) New players ... well ... they will have a even steeper learning curve (when part 3 of the patch will be deployed).

I like new sailing model, but nonetheless I fear not all the squirrels around are wrong.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ivn said:

The Crew have to be in dynamic - when player rising or turn off the sails the crew increase on it when sails stabilized the crew have to be distributed between guns and others parts of the ship with some minimum crew on sails which depends on how many sails opened at that moment. The book and ship knowledge of batsman will be more useful and the gameplay of micromanagement of ship become more interesting with this model of the dynamic crew. Developers, please think about it. 

We plan to introduce dynamic sail crew based on actual active sails on a ship at later stage (e.g. battle sails mode require less crew than full sails mode)

• Like 14

18 minutes ago, victor said:

2) Who did not learn how to manual sail (since there is no instruction or tutorial) will likely leave the game.

3) New players ... well ... they will have a even steeper learning curve (when part 3 of the patch will be deployed).

I like new sailing model, but nonetheless I fear not all the squirrels around are wrong.

Have faith! All the people enjoying true flightsims live this. We would attract a similar crowd.

3 hours ago, admin said:

The only difference is this: Realistic sail setting time is 45 mins. Realistic yard turning is 10 mins. 

It's more 20 minutes for setting sails and 2 minutes for yards... Tacking through the wind - including changing yard setting - took between 5-15 minutes. I get the point though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, admin said:

we will have paints
We will have to wipe ships to add them back (because paints will be added as ship knowledges (that can be used on that ship forever). And this will require ship wipe because it will change structure of the database making all old ships obsolete and unusuable

Please, please, PLEASE let us pay for the paint schemes with real world money (a la Elite Dangerous). It would let players support further development by adding a cosmetics revenue stream,  and would raise no issues of P2W criticism (since it would be cosmetics only).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, victor said:

So it's almost like you need to practise to get better, huh amazing

DMVZa-8WkAAwzR2.jpg 

Ok.. *Smartass-Mode Off*

Manual sailing is one of the first things you learn though when going into pvp. It really isn't that hard

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Liq said:

Reveal hidden contents

DMVZa-8WkAAwzR2.jpg 

Ok.. *Smartass-Mode Off*

Manual sailing is one of the first things you learn though when going into pvp. It really isn't that hard

It's not just about new players vs. veterans like @victor said. There are also players that are okay at manual sailing, and with this patch they will really be rewarded for refining their techniques.

Like you say we need to practice to get better, and now it's even more worth it to practice.

• Like 1

Dear Devs,

Many thanks and great work on the changes to the sailing physics, i feel you are starting to hit the sweet spot there.

A question comes in mind, are the any changes planned on the depower mechanics or animation?

It always bugged me how fast half of the sails of a three mast age of sail ship are recovered, with inmidiate effect.

Thanks

Edited by sveno
  • Like 3

Yeah, Depower is such a powerful button that it makes sense from a gameplay perspective to make it slower and require planning.

Plus I really hate to see an AI schooner's jib wobbling up and down because the computer thinks they are heeling too much for a split second, then changes its mind. The AI has timing limitations for yard controls, so its Depower decisions should be slower as well.

Also, I've been playing around with Agamemnon, LGV and Surprise. The first two are quite nice. Tentatively I can say that Agamemnon's sailing problems from the last patch are solved. Heaving-to is a challenge, but doable. Stationary tacking and ahistorical tacking methods are still possible, but no longer very effective. Some ships can't avoid sternway, which is fine. I feel like doing things the right way doesn't put me at a disadvantage now.

Surprise is a jackrabbit on speed and cocaine with an outboard motor.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, maturin said:

Yeah, Depower is such a powerful button that it makes sense from a gameplay perspective to make it slower and require planning.

Plus I really hate to see an AI schooner's jib wobbling up and down because the computer thinks they are heeling too much for a split second, then changes its mind. The AI has timing limitations for yard controls, so its Depower decisions should be slower as well.

Maybe instead of recovering the sails, how about to just loosen the sheets and let the sails flapping, with proper sail drag effect.

Edited by sveno

1 minute ago, sveno said:

Maybe instead of recovering the sails, how about to just loosen the sheets and let the sails flapping, with proper sail drag effect.

That's what I originally recommended. But it would require new animations. The staysails and jibs don't trim at all. Always close-hauled on port or starboard tack.

It would also be nice if the innermost jib didn't furl, for aesthetic reasons.

• Like 1

I like the changes in new ways of riding my ships. I think that ship performance will now depend much more on player skill than in game ship stats and grinded modules.  I like increased speed in OW for the game entertainment purpose. I think that it also makes sense in game to have game balanced speed of sails operations in battle. 

9 hours ago, Liq said:

Reveal hidden contents

DMVZa-8WkAAwzR2.jpg 

Ok.. *Smartass-Mode Off*

No man, stop thinking you are part of some kind of elite only because you can rotate two masts properly.

I can sail quite well.

I am thinking about a lot of other players that play this game more causal than you and I. You know, they also play game and we need a lot of players (the more the merrier) to keep this game alive.

So basically I'm just trying to keep my "smartass mode off" before posting, not after

Edited by victor

9 minutes ago, rediii said:

Who are you ingame?

Because Liq knows a tiny bit more than how to turn 2 masts :D

I know who is he, you, Palatinose and all the others .... but nevertheless some "terrors of the sea" should try to keep their smartass mode off.

This game shall be available also for casuals, or even the ones that like OS PVP will end up fighting in arranged 1vs1 "smartass duels".

It's amazing how some players do not realize that MMORPG means "massive multiplayer online roleplay game", so that it needs a mass of average players much more that a few "pros".

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Lets not underestimate the intelligence of new players. It takes about 5 minutes to learn manual sailing and 2 battles to get the hang of it. Tutorial is weeks away, the casuals are in good hands.

when a good tutorial - including manual sailing - will be ingame it will be another count. But it's years we are waiting for it and next patch will not include it as well, as per Devs declarations.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, victor said:

No man, stop thinking you are part of some kind of elite only because you can rotate two masts properly.

I can sail quite well.

I am thinking about a lot of other players that play this game more causal than you and I. You know, they also play game and we need a lot of players (the more the merrier) to keep this game alive.

So basically I'm just trying to keep my "smartass mode off" before posting, not after

My comment was not directed at you but to new players as you said in your initial post

Players SHOULD have to learn and get better over time, this also increases the game fun over time

This aint clicker heroes

• Like 8

6 hours ago, maturin said:

Surprise is a jackrabbit on speed and cocaine with an outboard motor.

Hehe, take out a hvyrattle, find a tsnow or something, proceed to weave-sternrake him with all the gamey manual sail jockeying you can handle. Actually, pretend you're me and do it without the shame that normally encumbers you. Film your pretty visage as you do it, send film to me.

Drugs are a hell of a drug.

15 minutes ago, Suppenkelle said:

Shouldn't the percentages of squares and jibs add up to 100%? Or are there other kinds of sails not mentioned in the table?

:) just asking...

Spanker and spirit sail are not listed in the table

• Like 1