Game-Labs Forum

Ship speeds

Ship Speeds  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done about the current speed meta?

• Raise the speed cap to 16 knots (making the fastest ships even faster)
    • Limit amount of Speed Mods Available (preventing slower ships from reaching OP speeds)
    • Keep everything the same
    • Other - please elaborate

2 hours ago, Flash Jack said:

Your style of lazy play where everyone should have the same so you dont have to work to overcome the challanges in the game is over. Live with it. Numbers are up...people are liking the game again.

It's all good. Stop being bitter.

Define "lazy" in relation to what "challenges" you are referring to... We might be very different, you and me.

I'm glad you like the game. Even today admin reminded us to not focus too much on player count, it always goes up after a patch.

I was super sad and bitter, it's true.

Then they made Legends... Thank you for your concern but, really, I'm good.

15 hours ago, jodgi said:

Define "lazy" in relation to what "challenges" you are referring to... We might be very different, you and me.

I'm glad you like the game. Even today admin reminded us to not focus too much on player count, it always goes up after a patch.

I was super sad and bitter, it's true.

Then they made Legends... Thank you for your concern but, really, I'm good.

Then it's all good. You have legends I have open world. We are all happy.

On 10/25/2017 at 11:48 AM, Hodo said:

Remove the flat speed cap. 

Limit the number of speed mods and change their bonuses.   Make copper plating only effect the OW speed and the acceleration of the ship in combat, for example.

Set a max speed each ship can achieve with mods to 20% over its max base design speed.  So no Ballona doing 15kn.  

Why would you limit Copper plating? It is the ONLY Speed mod in this game that is based on reality

16 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Why would you limit Copper plating? It is the ONLY Speed mod in this game that is based on reality

Not exactly.  Copper Plating did not make ships go faster, it just prevented hull rot due to sea life growing or feeding on the hull of the ship.  

8 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Not exactly.  Copper Plating did not make ships go faster, it just prevented hull rot due to sea life growing or feeding on the hull of the ship.  

Wrong. +4 Downwind  +2 Upwind knots based on History.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_ship_Montañés_(1794)

With 2400 copper plates on her hull, she was much faster than other ships of the same era, reaching 14 (rather than the average 10) knots downwind and 10 (rather than 8) knots upwind.

Edited by George Washington

5 hours ago, Hodo said:

It also reduced the growth of barnacles and junk which effectively made the ship faster then one without..... But still off all the Speed upgrades it is the one that doesn't fell of Magic.

sorry didn't take the time to read all the posts.

The speed meta is kinda ridiculous.  

things I like about speed mods, things like stay sails, knowledge skill that buffs upwind and reduces downwind and has a crew penalty to sailing.  that is balance.

things I don't like about speed mods. crooked hull, speed bonus lose armor?  who cares about armor you cant hit what you cant catch! same for bovenwinds, straight buff almost no penalty.

something I think that could solve some problems.  A speed cap based off of ship rate.  so for example, 7th rates have a speed cap of 16knots.  6th rates have a speed cap of 15.7knots.  5th rates 15.5 knots.  4th rates 15 knots.  3rd rates 14 knots.  2nd rates 13 knots.  1st rates 12 knots.  or whatever numbers everyone else thinks is good.

that way big ships go slow, small ships go fast.  combine something like that with an overhaul on the speed mods.  and we might have something.

just a suggestion, take it or leave it.  I could care less about the speed meta in pvp.  after all 90% of pvp is ganking anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

For the speed meta to disappear we need a Wind Strength system. No other way around it.

I can already hear the crying now from SoL captains.  "Why doesnt my Victory move, it is light winds moving from the east, I should be able to move!!" 

Meanwhile a Lynx is zipping around at 15kn.  

16 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I can already hear the crying now from SoL captains.  "Why doesnt my Victory move, it is light winds moving from the east, I should be able to move!!" 

And with strong winds we can reenact the Prince of Neufchattel last moments of liberty.

:(

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Hodo said:

This should be easily tested on the Test serv....  errrrr, I mean "Legends", no?

@jodgi Sounds balanced to me if the wind RNG is correct. Should be easy to determine the average wind speed and work from there with a random storm thrown in which should effect everyone.

You take care of the complaints on either end by having a wind strength floor and a cap. So the SoL captain still has some speed in light winds and a small ship some chance in strong winds. Maybe the small ship escapes in the rain and fog...   For it to work you have to have sail damage in high winds though. You can also have Studding sails and extra staysails mods actually work as intended IRL (re: painting of USS Constitution escaping British squadron in light wind).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Variable wind speed makes me so exicited. Imagine in OW you see light, medium, strong wind just near your compass next to your wind arrow, or change arrow colour. You are a speed moded pirate, sailed all the to KPR to gank some noobs, suddenly wind turns into light breeze, opps everything changed now !!! Or you are in battle and wind changes in your favour. 

Changing  (rotating)winds in battle instance is a good addition, even though it rotates at a very high rate, which I think is overdone. Adding some wind strength change which is not overdone again can be a great diversity to the game. It can help to reduce the speed meta.

Edited by AeRoTR

2 hours ago, AeRoTR said:

Variable wind speed makes me so exicited. Imagine in OW you see light, medium, strong wind just near your compass next to your wind arrow, or change arrow colour. You are a speed moded pirate, sailed all the to KPR to gank some noobs, suddenly wind turns into light breeze, opps everything changed now !!! Or you are in battle and wind changes in your favour. 

Changing  (rotating)winds in battle instance is a good addition, even though it rotates at a very high rate, which I think is overdone. Adding some wind strength change which is not overdone again can be a great diversity to the game. It can help to reduce the speed meta.

The trouble with variable winds is it would be very difficult to get it so that it feels "right". Even tho the game has time compression, players don't think "Ive just spent 3 days sailing from one place to another" or "this battle has lasted a day and a half". The game clock and game sun maybe moving fast but we operate in real time.

So, while obviously freakish weather does happen in the real world, most days you will have hours and hours of consistent winds (or no winds). Big changes in weather tend to happen slowly in real life compared to gameplay most of the time. Trying to implement in game will tend to destroy gameplay unless done extremely catefully. For example: right now in the SF Bay area it is raining lightly with very light onshore breezes. It will probably do this for two days. No one would be able to sail anywhere. 

How about the devs implement proper mast physics. So when these "oh look at my teak white oak tank speed i have no skill ship" fegs are going 15kts bouncing 24lb longs point blank doing circles around you have their sails at full they fall off. There were reasons captains used Battle Sails in battle. 

1) stop their sails catching on fire

2)so a single cannonball wouldnt breach the mast's integrity due to the sail force on the mast thus breaking the mast. 

If this was implemented fast ships wouldnt be so fast because one hit to their mast would render them useless unless that had battle sails on. Whereas a tankier ship could survive a couple hits due to an increase in mast hp and thickness 

1 hour ago, Farrago said:

The trouble with variable winds is it would be very difficult to get it so that it feels "right". Even tho the game has time compression, players don't think "Ive just spent 3 days sailing from one place to another" or "this battle has lasted a day and a half". The game clock and game sun maybe moving fast but we operate in real time.

So, while obviously freakish weather does happen in the real world, most days you will have hours and hours of consistent winds (or no winds). Big changes in weather tend to happen slowly in real life compared to gameplay most of the time. Trying to implement in game will tend to destroy gameplay unless done extremely catefully. For example: right now in the SF Bay area it is raining lightly with very light onshore breezes. It will probably do this for two days. No one would be able to sail anywhere. 

I crunched the numbers and made a detailed proposal for the devs years ago.

The upshot was, 'light' winds impose a 20% speed penalty on lineships. Everyone would still be able to get around.

And if the weather only changed once or twice a real-life day, then that is fine.

• Like 2