Game-Labs Forum

I Surrender! BATTLE IS OVER... or not?

EDIT: Had to dig this out and bring this up again. I think now is the time for this feature to be implemented. Its easy. Its fast. It will add immersion to the game.
Add ability for the player to put his money (specified amount) from his player wallet into the ships cargo for pirate to be able to loot and it will also allow pirates to take ransoms instead of cargo.

---------------

This was a day of joy when we found out that we could access ships cargo in the battle.
With all my heart I hope that this beautiful mechanic of looting in the battle will be used to its full potential. Specifically allow players to interact.

I think that today Surrender mechanic in the game mean that surrendered party lost without any chance for recovery. It also means that as a winner I have no choice, but to destroy or take surrendered player's assets.
Surrender mechanics should open interaction between the winner and the lost parties.

Proposition.
The surrender mechanic comes in two stages. First stage is Surrender. Second stage is Abandon the ship.
If player wants to surrender same way as now he first hit Surrender then Abandon Ship. It will have exact same results as now so surrendering player in control of HOW he wants to surrender if he wants to do it in the old fashioned way.

dixoiTm.jpg

When player Surrender the battle is NOT over yet. It continues. What it means is that surrendered player has lost control of his ship. White flag is up. Sails are down. He is out of combat (cant control his ship), but still in possession of his ship and the battle timer keeps ticking.

As a pirate I have an option to park next to him and inspect his cargo, thus gives me number of options:

1. If I decide to loot I will transfer goods to my ship;
2. If I decide to sink him I will by pressing Sink button (player and his crew lives);
3. If I decide to let him go there should be Let Go button. Pressing Let Go surrendered player gets back the control of his ship even after I looted it
4. I may ask for ransom instead of taking player's goods, which means that any ships which are stationary and in close proximity should be able to open trade window and exchange loot and money.
5. If I simply leave the battle the surrendered player automatically gets back the control over his ship

gnlrsKF.jpg

jgnFg3J.jpg

The BATTLE is OVER only when the battle timer has run out, or one side left or sunk.
Surrendered player may abandon the ship any time after he surrendered, thus also ending the battle.

Edited by koltes
  • Like 43

4 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

Excellent suggestion and I like your visual aids. Makes it easy to understand what you are talking about. Good job.

I figured that would assist my Engrish :P

• Like 3

I really like this idea Koltes.  Hope it is implemented. 

There are so many cool things we could add to this game.  Mechanics that allow interactions between players are improvements.  To bad that people find ways to metagame and use features for a competitive advantage.

• Like 3

Talking it over global a bit with @koltes and @Iroquois Confederacy, it can actually be very much simplified to just unlocking the hold at low speed.

So a ship with 0 preparation going below 2.5 knots can simply be raided. (And potentially let go or whatever you want to do.)

Pull over for "inspection" folks. :D

One problem I see with this idea, well its not a problem really but most probably how things will develop.

With the current game mechanics if you capture a trader you most probably cannot take all their cargo into your hold, so you have to make the choice to take what you can and destroy the rest when you sink the ship, or take the trader ship into fleet, probably slowing you down in enemy waters. With the proposed system almost every time it will be better for the raider to take the cash as there is no speed penalty carrying cash.

This system has been proposed by someone who does a lot of raiding and I am sure they have had to get rid of quite a bit of cargo they could not carry. The general idea is good but I do not like making it easier for raiders to profit.

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

One problem I see with this idea, well its not a problem really but most probably how things will develop.

With the current game mechanics if you capture a trader you most probably cannot take all their cargo into your hold, so you have to make the choice to take what you can and destroy the rest when you sink the ship, or take the trader ship into fleet, probably slowing you down in enemy waters. With the proposed system almost every time it will be better for the raider to take the cash as there is no speed penalty carrying cash.

This system has been proposed by someone who does a lot of raiding and I am sure they have had to get rid of quite a bit of cargo they could not carry. The general idea is good but I do not like making it easier for raiders to profit.

The current alternative is what I do:  Sink you, take whatever I feel like, and dump the rest.  If I get slowed, sure, I dump that too.  But I'm out a few hundred tons of goods.  The trader is out a ship and cargo, and all those hours.

I bet many a trader would rather pay 100K for passage instead of a ship and 750K of cargo.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

The current alternative is what I do:  Sink you, take whatever I feel like, and dump the rest.  If I get slowed, sure, I dump that too.  But I'm out a few hundred tons of goods.  The trader is out a ship and cargo, and all those hours.

I bet many a trader would rather pay 100K for passage instead of a ship and 750K of cargo.

This is what I am saying though, your hold soon gets filled up with the current method meaning you have to return to port. But with the proposed system you just keep getting cash without having to return to port. In the long run this will benefit commerce raiders. I agree the traders will get some benefit but in the long run the raider hanging around for longer has a down side.