Game-Labs Forum

Ship Knowledge - A Poll

How do we handle ship knowledge?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best way to proceed with ship knowledge?

• Leave it as is!
    • Make it where knowledge can be gained by just sailing your selected ship!
    • Get rid of it completely!

Dear men and men pretending to be women,

Ship knowledge. What do you think about it? If your response does not fit into the poll, or you wish to leave additional feedback, please do so. This is an attempt to give the devs an honest opinion of what we think about ship knowledge and how it is implemented. Please be honest, but be nice! Let's help to improve the game by letting them know what we want.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Peckington said:

At first I didn't really care for it, but since getting up to Cerberus it has grown on me. I think people may have a different opinion if they had started from Midshipman and worked up with the ships as opposed to most starting able to crew much larger ships having to go backwards.

My second slot on the 3rd rate takes 20K that is Rank 7 char.   Which means you have almost ranked up just on two slots.  We did the match and if you go up the Connie line than you will become Rear Admiral before you get it unlock to the second slot.   

• Like 1

I made the call day one when I played on test server this would get Nerf as Soon as about 10-20 hard core pvper get 5 slots in a santi.  May have to find the post for proof but it will happen.  Soon as US or Brit start losing 1st rates to about 10 guys every single time they meet, they will know why. and the flood gates of tears will open for all to enjoy.......  Well until all the hard work the ones that did it will get shit on and then everyone is running around in +5 slot 1st rates in a week or two.  With system now i figure i will have every ships +5 not just +3 by August.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

My second slot on the 3rd rate takes 20K that is Rank 7 char.   Which means you have almost ranked up just on two slots.  We did the match and if you go up the Connie line than you will become Rear Admiral before you get it unlock to the second slot.   

I haven't done the math, and am glad someone has. I suppose it could be lowered or tweaked.

1 hour ago, Arthur Peckington said:

I haven't done the math, and am glad someone has. I suppose it could be lowered or tweaked.

The new tree is better, but I still think we should only have to unlock like one or two slots on those ships not 3-5.   Than just go up the ship you want to specialize.  

• Like 1

i do not vote my option is not in it but

i like it (the ship knowledge idea)

but i believe that with the current captains sailing big ships i believe that you have to have at least 3 slots open to sail the next ship of the ladder

for the 4 and 5 slot, you get the perks unleashed and useable (and can be seen as specialization on the particular ship>>4slots give 3 perks 5th slot give 5 perk)

example basic cutter has standard 3 slots open when done the 4 slot open you can go to the lynx

next ship the lynks begins at zero slots open ,when opened 3 slots you only than can go to the next ship the privateer (in this example i took the light tree) for the 4 and 5 slots you open and can use more perks(and so on with the next ship of the tree)

in this example it prevents that young captain sail ships ,where in terms of career aspect  cant sail ships which in normal career ladder could not get command of by admiralty

in the current situation, a beginning sailor with 10 hours  can sail an indefatigable, and that's not normal. ( its unwise also, and will get you in trouble financially and play wise as well, it gives rage quitting and the feeling of this is a stupid game, ofcourse they are the one that makes the mistake, but players not always see it this way.)

Edited by Thonys

1 minute ago, Ronald Speirs said:

I would prefer to save up my money to buy the ships that i want to sail and grind the slots for it rather then have to waste my time and money on grinding ships i neither want or like to use. 

well not everybody gets a roll-royce when he becomes 16

and of course its your point of view ,i understand that ,its your opinion we live in the modern age now

but in the age of sail ,a sailor was a bagger of the streets....

• Like 1

I am still totally divided and the reasons are simple.

One - there's no wall to play any ship. We can play anything with 3 slots with no issues. ( deathstar level being deathstars are less slots ofc )

Two - I feel that ships should be grouped, somehow by tonnage/sail plan/etc, and not be a linear branch tree.

Hence I like the concept, dislike the layout, hope for a change with ships grouped but also expect the requirements to be increased.

The full 5 slots to all ships up to the Constitution while running up from Midshipman up to RA seems on the spot.

As fact - We can sail any ship we want at any time.

There's no option in the poll similar to what I could vote.

• Like 8

I think we have to view this from two different angles.. 

On the one hand there are the rear admirals and commodores from before the wipe, who can crew any ship easily and are annnoyed to sail all of the lower ships to get ready for the big ones. 

But on the other hand there may be totally new players, who just start as midshipmen in a cutter. 

I imagine I wouldn't complain about the system that much if I had to level up my whole charakter again, but I see a problem because you have to decide which path you want to go from the first ship. If you have made it up to bellona, but then you realize that you would rather be sailing arround in a frigate class you will have to start from the beginning. 

Although I am quite sure you didn't had to sail a snow again in the age of sail when you were frigate captain to be promotet to a line ship captain.

Regards,

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The new tree is better, but I still think we should only have to unlock like one or two slots on those ships not 3-5.   Than just go up the ship you want to specialize.  

we are thinking about moving the requirements from 3rd unlock to 4th

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Red Duke said:

I am still totally divided and the reasons are simple.

One - there's no wall to play any ship. We can play anything with 3 slots with no issues. ( deathstar level being deathstars are less slots ofc )

Two - I feel that ships should be grouped, somehow by tonnage/sail plan/etc, and not be a linear branch tree.

Hence I like the concept, dislike the layout, hope for a change with ships grouped but also expect the requirements to be increased.

The full 5 slots to all ships up to the Constitution while running up from Midshipman up to RA seems on the spot.

As fact - We can sail any ship we want at any time.

There's no option in the poll similar to what I could vote.

ZTuAILu.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, admin said:

we are thinking about moving the requirements from 3rd unlock to 4th

That is a little better cause it means you can be an expert of a ship, but if you want to master it you need a bit from the other.  Though I would say keep it to the third slot of the ship below it so that you don't have to do ever ship below.

Lynx would still need Basic Cutter 3 but instead it's at the 4th slot.

Privateer needs the Basic Cutter 3 but instead at the 4th slot 

Mercury needs the Privateer 3 slots to unlock the 4th slot. 

and so forth.  So you can have a three slot ship without unlocking something below, but you want to become a master of it you need to have 3 slots on the ships below it.

14 hours ago, Arthur Peckington said:

At first I didn't really care for it, but since getting up to Cerberus it has grown on me. I think people may have a different opinion if they had started from Midshipman and worked up with the ships as opposed to most starting able to crew much larger ships having to go backwards.

How does that change? We still have to do the little ships to unlock the bigger ones..  I just don't understand having to do 3 or 4 Frigate class ships 

It promotes linear/boring game play progression in an open world sandbox MMO where you can go and buy whatever ship you want, whenever you want, as long you have the money to do so.

Its nothing but a massive grind on an already grind heavy game. A system like this belongs in a f2p arena game ala World of Warships. It doesn't belong in Naval Action.

• Like 1

Hybrid system: sailing lower ships can add xp to unlocked slots on higher tier ships, but is not required to unlock those slots.  This will smooth the progression of new players and remove the arbitrary grind for vets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akd said:

Hybrid system: sailing lower ships can add xp to unlocked slots on higher tier ships, but is not required to unlock those slots.  This will smooth the progression of new players and remove the arbitrary grind for vets.

Knowledge is knowledge, right?

On 6/14/2017 at 10:14 AM, koltes said:

ZTuAILu.jpg

The 1st slot really doesn't make sense, a Pavel is different to a Santisma so how would it give you the knowledge? Peronsally i think you should just get it unlocked for that ship type, IE Santi exp for Santis, Vic exp for Vics, 

So if it got 3 slots on a Santi, i only get 3 slots on Santis and id have to unlock them on a Vic again.

Makes more sense you learn that ship class/type rather then the Rates.