Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 2 for testbed patch 9.99

admin

Well saying ow pvp doesnt provide gold and xp isnt quite right

You get xp and some gold for sinking a player, AND most importantly pvp marks, which will probably be worth quite a bit once a pvp-Mark to pve-mark converter gets added.

Personally I wont spend a single more Minute in pve missions after having obtained a first decent Ship I can hunt with and look for pvp.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, maturin said:

It is now impossible to make money by hunting on the open world. Before we were incentivized to grind missions. Now we are forced to. If we don't do missions, we can't even earn gold and XP at the same time!!! Fun and profit are now in inverse proportion.

It is possible. You hunt players who trade. And they DO trade.
the most common player ship i have seen has been this 

uyNl2BO.jpg

players are not forced to do missions. But again missions are the system that actually make it feel worse due to low variety. Same bots are there in the OW. Group up with someone and hit bigger ships. You might level up faster and will actually see the world. 

8 minutes ago, admin said:

uyNl2BO.jpg

You might get lucky and find a player or, if you are in the wrong area of the map and cannot tp to another, you may sail for a very long time before finding someone.  Return on investment for time may be better PVE even though I do not like PVE ...

• Like 4

Twice today I attacked a player LGV with a LGV fleet (or basic cutter with LGV fleet). It may have been the same player. As I was in a basic cutter I did not stand a chance either time when his friend showed up ?.  There are definitely player traders around on the test bed. I suggest, if you are not a pirate, go by La Tortue & you should be able to find pirate traders. I was hunting by La Des in Swedish/French territory. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, admin said:

uyNl2BO.jpg

players are not forced to do missions. But again missions are the system that actually make it feel worse due to low variety. Same bots are there in the OW. Group up with someone and hit bigger ships. You might level up faster and will actually see the world. 

Not even playing....... but even I know grouping up is Stupid if you need XP.  If you don't get the kill you don't get Jack. Kill and Assist should give equeal marks and XP if this is the format you going to stick with.  So that people will group up. other wise no one will.

Edited by JobaSet
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, admin said:

uyNl2BO.jpg

Does that mean that players cant dump their cargo anymore?    

2 minutes ago, Sir Joseph Blaine said:

Does that mean that players cant dump their cargo anymore?    

lol i thought same thing after i saw post logged in attacked my trader and dumped it.  So much grief why i even bother logging on.

1 hour ago, admin said:

uyNl2BO.jpg

I'd like to meet the basic cutter newb who can capture a player-controlled trader of any kind. And people are only going to be running around in Trader's Cutters for the next few days. After that it will be Trinc with 3 LGV's in the fleet. I already see that plenty.

But more importantly there are only 37 people online. So basically I'm experiencing an enforced PvE environment. And that means missions or else I'm wasting my time. Now that the PvE server isn't going away, and there's going to be an arena game, this is the place for PvE players, right?

Edit: By the time you hit rank three, the crew costs are eating up 80% of profits from missions. I'd say that you have the inflation problem pretty well solved.

• Like 1

JobaSet Said I should not play on test. Didn't wanna believe him. How hard could it be.  Well no way to really gain XP, or what ever the marks are for.  Tried to cap a Trader took me 3 times to figure out I had to put crew on it, and tell it to escape just to see it in battle screen. WTF.  So I use the handy dandy trader tool to see where I needed sail to make most money from my goods I just got.  Needless to say after 20 mins of Sailing I get to were I think I can make a little money off of my goods only to see that the prices DO NOT Match the trader tool.  and before you say was it 1.  No they had none for sell, so I should have been  good on my price from Trader Tool to sell at 251 but I could only sell them at 67.  How is this even possible.  I was hoping to play live but more people on the test server. Again how is this even possible. I get it testing is for testing but wow

• Like 1

So I just tried out the newest patch. I sailed a basic cutter out of KPR and found an AI LGV to attack.

After about 40 minutes, I had killed 213 crew off the LGV, bringing him to 27. I had 30, so I forced it into a boarding situation.

I attacked into the AI's fire grenades and somehow lost 12 crew vs. the AI losing only 5. The AI then counter attacked, I defended, and I lost. I got no reward whatsoever. 

So overall I'm not surprised to have lost the boarding, as AI always have boarding mods (and this one had 4 marines). I am a little surprised that I got nothing at all for killing 213 crew. It doesn't make a difference for me being RA, but if I wasn't max rank I'd be frustrated with that. 

3 hours ago, JobaSet said:

Not even playing....... but even I know grouping up is Stupid if you need XP.  If you don't get the kill you don't get Jack. Kill and Assist should give equeal marks and XP if this is the format you going to stick with.  So that people will group up. other wise no one will.

"Grouping up" these days means ganking groups. Ganking shouldn't be rewarded. If it's group vs group, the fun itself is already rewarding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cabral said:

"Grouping up" these days means ganking groups. Ganking shouldn't be rewarded. If it's group vs group, the fun itself is already rewarding.

I talking about anything pvp or PVE. Solo is best way to go right now.  You can go into a PVE mission and not get anything much unless you get the kills.

8 hours ago, admin said:

uyNl2BO.jpg

Winner's perspective again, @admin

You capture a cargo - very nice for you - but what will the trader do? Ok, so here we have a level 10 player (whom I notice you cannot attack anyway - I'd never have guessed you played Spanish, or does everyone appear white to pirates?), but what if it were a level 3 player trying out trading for the first time with all his wealth tied up in his cargo so he can afford to buy and equip a Snow?

Don't get me wrong. He shouldn't be immune and trading is and should be a risky business, but equally it shouldn't be the only way of making money in this game. Surely, for most players, most of the time, rewards should come from combat. By all means have bigger rewards for being cannon fodder but don't force players into trading because it is the only way they can make enough money to engage in ship combat.

I think I'll spend tonight's playing session in a Snow and take note of crew losses and repair costs. And rewards, of course.

Edited by Remus

LGV is the new Ganking Ship, befor and after the wipe on testbed players used there purchased LGV's to gank other Players. When i see that the LGV is Fast, makes a good speed under 90° and can turn fast as hell compared to a Frigatte. Second point is that purchased LGV has 3 Shipknowledge Points unlooked compared to a Warship where you must unlook first 1 slot is a bit strange. So i think that the LGV shoud be the same as every other Warship where you must unlook the Shipknowledge.

At the moment they can set up with PowderMonkeys, Staysails and Copperplating and what ship will u use to engage them Surprise or Trinco. Trinco is fast but bad agains the wind if you try to hunt them in open world you got no chance to catch them. Surprise shoud be the better option but if u are lucky and can catch them the got no fear of you cause they got in a group of 3 guys 60 cannons agains 38 cannons of surprise and cannons dosent matte at all. I know that u can outturn some Ships but not a LGV if u sit on a Trinc or Surprise only Ship is Renomee but if the enemy trys to run u got no Bowchasers to shot his sails and over time he will get away cause Renomee sucks agains the wind.

LGV shoud have more the turnrate of a BellePoule i think, i know that the LGV got another rigging than the BellePoule but the same hull so i think she will turn slightly faster but fast as now is to much.

Only my Suggestion.

On 21/4/2017 at 9:09 PM, Bart Smith said:

Just cut one zero;) or even two. 150 gold for cannon sound better imo

I agree. "regular" medium cannons sold by the IA are far too expensive.

Edited by victor

31 minutes ago, Ville de Klabauter said:

LGV is the new Ganking Ship, befor and after the wipe on testbed players used there purchased LGV's to gank other Players. When i see that the LGV is Fast, makes a good speed under 90° and can turn fast as hell compared to a Frigatte. Second point is that purchased LGV has 3 Shipknowledge Points unlooked compared to a Warship where you must unlook first 1 slot is a bit strange. So i think that the LGV shoud be the same as every other Warship where you must unlook the Shipknowledge.

At the moment they can set up with PowderMonkeys, Staysails and Copperplating and what ship will u use to engage them Surprise or Trinco. Trinco is fast but bad agains the wind if you try to hunt them in open world you got no chance to catch them. Surprise shoud be the better option but if u are lucky and can catch them the got no fear of you cause they got in a group of 3 guys 60 cannons agains 38 cannons of surprise and cannons dosent matte at all. I know that u can outturn some Ships but not a LGV if u sit on a Trinc or Surprise only Ship is Renomee but if the enemy trys to run u got no Bowchasers to shot his sails and over time he will get away cause Renomee sucks agains the wind.

LGV shoud have more the turnrate of a BellePoule i think, i know that the LGV got another rigging than the BellePoule but the same hull so i think she will turn slightly faster but fast as now is to much.

Only my Suggestion.

I have seen that too, the LGV being used as hunter and ganking ship, and it's absurd, LGV is a trader ship, and if it's used for a role that has nothing to do to a trader, something is wrong.

14 minutes ago, BoomBox said:

i do not agree with this. i think it's fairly expensive yes but not too expensive. Since you can capture Ai with med canons.

a full set of med cannons costs more than the ship itself (and captured ships are not upgradable as the crafted ones). So IA sold cannons - as they are now - are just a moneysink for combat oriented players.

Take the old cost of a golden ships (with 4 duras) and compare it with the cost of 1 dura ships sold by the IA, multiply X 4 and then add the cost of cannons (for each dura) ... then you will be able to make a correct comparison.

Edited by victor

28 minutes ago, victor said:

a full set of med cannons costs more than the ship itself (and captured ships are not upgradable as the crafted ones). So IA sold cannons - as they are now - are just a moneysink for combat oriented players.

Take the old cost of a golden ships (with 4 duras) and compare it with the cost of 1 dura ships sold by the IA, multiply X 4 and then add the cost of cannons (for each dura) ... then you will be able to make a correct comparison.

but can you not capture the ai and take the canons and just destroy the ship? what i do understand from a pvp standpoint it extend the grind somewhat but due to the fact that players will b able to craft canons , i think we should wait how expensive that will be before we judge the change.

5 hours ago, EliteDelta said:

So overall I'm not surprised to have lost the boarding, as AI always have boarding mods (and this one had 4 marines). I am a little surprised that I got nothing at all for killing 213 crew. It doesn't make a difference for me being RA, but if I wasn't max rank I'd be frustrated with that. 

Why should you get something if you lost? We stopped giving out participation trophies

• Like 4

8 hours ago, maturin said:

I'd like to meet the basic cutter newb who can capture a player-controlled trader of any kind. And people are only going to be running around in Trader's Cutters for the next few days. After that it will be Trinc with 3 LGV's in the fleet. I already see that plenty.

The problem with all rewards is this - as soon as you start giving them generously (good for individual players) it starts breaking the monetary system (bad for the game).
If economy prices change on supply then Every individual player is happy ONLY until loot prices fall to 0 (because everyone gets a lot), but if the economy is fixed price then everyone makes a lot of money turning money into worthless item as a result. 

In this iteration of the economy you will get rich if you help other players. You can do it by 
a) trading
b ) crafting items used by players
c) crafting ships
d) conquering ports (getting conquest marks) 
e) pvp ing and capturing player ships, refits, upgrades, guns and cargo

We dont know why bot grinding should be extremely profitable. Because of reasons in the first paragraph. But it will get better once market for PVE marks trading and conversion becomes active.. Once they get value you will be able to sell them and make money on PVE.  Rich players will buy them from you to save time and you will make a lot of money based on the demand. 

Perhaps there should be a point f) being in the OW should be rewarded better than it is now as you are a target then for someone else.

At least thats the experiment we are running. 

• Like 4

If not decreasing crew costs, maybe crew qualities.

You need a well trained crew for a 1st rate, and not so well for a Cerberus.

Or you can choose which crew you take, and veteran crew will be better in boarding and has shorter reload times, faster yards etc.

Drunken bastards you just dragged to your ship from closest taverns could be ~free.

Trained sailors could be 500.

We could also introduce iron cannons.  Cheap and not that good, but when you do not have gold, better than nothing.

I think that I am probably the only guy on this forum who would like to make this game to work for those guys who played it 10 hours and left the game.  Like all these changes devs introduced are definitely not for these guys.  Admin, if you could, can you just say that you do not care S about these guys, so I can stop trying to think ways to make this playable for broader audience.  I have to admit that I feel like Don Quijote here.

• Like 1