Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 2 for testbed patch 9.99

admin

19 minutes ago, admin said:

endymion is fast.. so probably it does not require a lot of speed upgrades because its already built fast and cannot be improved much in the speed related arena. Thus there is no need to install a lot of speed upgrades on the endymion as no ship could sail more than 15 those times (physics water hull other reasons).

But you don't like the endymion and like indiaman more (as a bait ship). So you fit it with 8 speed upgrades and it might sail 15 knots. 

You can't just make ship sail 15 knots without any penalties. I think it's too magical. Previous games show us that if you are building a gank boat you will loose armor and make it paper thin. This way it's well balanced. They will be able to catch you, but can they stay and fight for long? If I am fitting 1st rate for 15 knots, it will be weak in armor (-50%) compared to same one who is sailing at base speed. You are about to release a deadly 'gank zerg' virus on your test server without any penalties when fitting for speed. 

Research 'same item stacking penalties'. 

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 3

Is there a certain reason for why there is only a pvp-to-pve converter, but not vice versa?
(you can convert 10 pve marks to 1 pvp mark, but not the other way around. So if you wanted to get a L'ocean BP for example, you'd currently have to grind 350 PvE marks.)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, admin said:

Hello Captains

Here are the patch notes for the forthcoming patch for testbed.

• All Testbed characters will be wiped - EXCEPT FOR craft xp, money, xp and ship knowledge unlocks. This will happen in the future as well. Additional redeems for xp and money were provided

As i didn't receive the redeem for XP craft, i would prefer a full wipe?

Just now, Liquicity said:

Is there a certain reason for why there is only a pvp-to-pve converter, but not vice versa?
(you can convert 10 pve marks to 1 pvp mark, but not the other way around. So if you wanted to get a L'ocean BP for example, you'd currently have to grind 350 PvE marks.)

no reason. ignore it until next week. other converters are coming. right now everything is for pve marks just to test for bugs 
you can trade marks on the market through contracts too

• Like 5

1 minute ago, admin said:

endymion is fast.. so probably it does not require a lot of speed upgrades because its already built fast and cannot be improved much in the speed related arena. Thus there is no need to install a lot of speed upgrades on the endymion as no ship could sail more than 15 those times (physics water hull other reasons).

But you don't like the endymion and like indiaman more (as a bait ship). So you fit it with 8 speed upgrades and it might sail 15 knots. 

I understand.

If I see an Indiaman, I have no idea what it can do.  It may have 8 speed upragrades or not.  I cannot know how fast it can go.

Endymion is a fast ship, I know that, but is that so?  An indiaman can be as fast as Endymion, so actually Endymion is just as fast as Indiaman.  No?

So the question is in the end, which is the heaviest ship that can do 15kn?

Just now, Cmdr RideZ said:

I understand.

If I see an Indiaman, I have no idea what it can do.  It may have 8 speed upragrades or not.  I cannot know how fast it can go.

Endymion is a fast ship, I know that, but is that so?  An indiaman can be as fast as Endymion, so actually Endymion is just as fast as Indiaman.  No?

So the question is in the end, which is the heaviest ship that can do 15kn?

same as in the real life

you could see a sail in the distance and knew nothing about it. sometimes you could not even make out the ship type until it was too late

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

You can't just make ship sail 15 knots without any penalties. I think it's too much. Previous games show us that if you are building a gank boat you will loose armor and make it paper thin. This way it's well balanced. They will be able to catch you, but can they stay and fight for long? If I am fitting 1st rate for 15 knots, it will be weak in armor (-50%) compared to same one who is sailing at base speed. 

Have to agree, will anyone sane NOT be fitting their traders with the max amount of speed upgrades? Certainly needs to be negatives as well to most of the upgrades. :)

• Like 2

15'000 gold per 42pdr cannon. That's 550k to equip a santisima's main deck.

Didn't you say you weren't happy about upgrades being way more expensive than the actual ship? Well now that you got rid off them it's the cannons that is expensive.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

Didn't you say you weren't happy about upgrades being way more expensive than the actual ship? Well now that you got rid off them it's the cannons that is expensive.

Prices will come down for Cannons when players start to establish their businesses and undercut listings. This will force traders to sail on OS without any doubt. God forbid regions are taken and no more guns can be produced. :)

Edited by Ned Low

58 minutes ago, admin said:

Hello Captains

• All Testbed characters will be wiped - EXCEPT FOR craft xp, money, xp and ship knowledge unlocks. This will happen in the future as well. Additional redeems for xp and money were provided 
  • Fixed bugs – players who were stuck without crew in the  Battle result screen - BRS screen; you can now exit the BRS. Just accept all warnings and exit to the nearest friendly port.
  • Guns are now sold in units (not in decks). Blueprints for gun forging and drilling will be added next week.  Medium guns will be available from NPCs by capture, long and carronades will be only player crafted. Great idea - i like it apart from any NPC by capture part - make them all crafted and maybe introduce bronze guns with slightly better stats
    • Warning – basic guns are not sold in ports (not yet). To get basic guns (if you started or have a new rookie character) just sell your basic cutter and buy a new one – it will be provided with a set of guns.
  • Rookie zones removed. Rookie capitasl are added back to respective regions. Players who were stationed in the rookie zones – sorry for the inconvinience. Another great idea
  • Assign crew functionality in instances updated and somewhat improved.
  • Resource transport between free towns removed Finally
  • Ship transport between outposts removed Finally
  • Teleport to freetown removed. Remove teleport completely please
  • Outpost to outpost transport is now only available between national towns. Not sure about this - any kind of invisible (unsinkable) transport of goods is non realistic
  • Tow to capital replaced by tow to port - which sends you to the nearest deep water port - this is done to allow players living in distant areas from the capital to have unstuck that does not send them across the map (forcing them to sail back). Not sure about this - but may be helpfull
  • Certain changes are done for trading resources production limits. Expensive trading resources are no longer produced up to 25000 items providing infinite money making opportunities (e.g. textile machinery) Full player driven economy is needed 
  • Shipyard is back and is required for ship crafting
    • Lineships blueprints are now available in the admiralty. Prices are not final.
    • Most other ships are available for all players and unlock based on level (incl Endymion and Indefatigable)
    • Gifted perk removed Perks need be removed instead make officers with single skill and allow hire them depend of rank or ship class. For example from 1 on small ships up to Brig, 2 on Snow to Cerberus, 3 on frigates 4 on 4th rates and 5 on any bigger ships.
    • Ship blueprints no longer drop when crafting
  • Certain changes to knowledge slots unlocks are done
  • Minimal crew thresholds for all vessels are now 70% of max ship crew (only checked in port) - you still can use under crewed ships in battles though.  Seems reasonable - sailing ship without crew is nearly impossible
  • Fixed bug that did not allow to access hold for NPC ships in missions and events
  • Fixed another set of bugs keeping players in the BRS screen
  • Fixed bug that allowed to receive marks for basic cutter
  • Fixed bug that allowed your sank vessel to magically appear in the BRS screen
  • Fixed a memory leak with open combat information window.

Expect bugs - several new features are introduced and may cause problems for testbed gameplay.

Thanks for the patience and support.

Edited by Bart Smith

A minor point about names in the Admiralty Shop:

• Ship notes are colled things like 'Navy Agamemnon Note'. No problem there.
  • Ship Blueprints are called things like 'Agamemnon Note'. Should't it be 'Agamemnon Blueprint' or Agamemnon Blueprint Note'?

Only 350 PvE marks for a first rate BP? Fine for test, but a little low for live, perhaps.

• Outpost to outpost transport is now only available between national towns. Not sure about this - any kind of invisible (unsinkable) transport of goods is non realistic

Here is a simple fix how you can make it fun while 'passively' delivering goods. Introduce Citations (call them whatever) , Each auto delivery will require the max of 15 Citations to ensure 100% to success and safety. 

Ex. I want to send my goods from Point A to Point B. I load the shipment and it shows me that I invested 0 Citations and that will equal to only 50% success chance. I start adding Citations and my % goes up and can be maxed out at 100% by using all 15 Citations.

What it means to players? Players still have the ability to auto deliver goods, but at 50/50 risk if no Citations were used.

How to get citation? Citations are earned while Trading and Physically sailing on OS. ex. earn 1 Citation for every 20 days at sea while in a Trader Boat. Delivery missions can reward Citations. 

What will happen if my delivery fails? You will loose 50% of your goods and your ship will be damaged and will need to be repaired. If you invested let's say 10 Citations and your success % is now let's say 75% you will only loose 25% of your cargo in case you fail. 

What do you think Devs?

Edited by Ned Low

31 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

Cannons worth more than the ship is realistic tho :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Siegfried said:

I can't mount less cannons than maximum. If I want to mount only 8 cannons and not the 12 of cutter? Is intended or bug?

I tested and you can't, but I would think we should be able to put less if we wanted to run a lighter ship by having less guns without putting none on a deck or going lower class.

• Like 1

Just now, Intrepido said:

Only? Please go grind those PVE marks for me.

Look. These are items you need to buy just once. Compare with the cost of ship notes (250 PvE marks just for Navy Brig) or 50 marks for a perks reset.

And besides, they are for shipbuilders. I don't know how clans may work, but I build ships for gold. With gold I can buy marks. So someone else can do my grinding for me.

2 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Which ships can do 15kn ?

Schooners, lynx absolutely, privateer for sure, some brigs like the snake. Endymion. Not natural but certainly fully trimmed and equipped and trained.

1 hour ago, admin said:

same as in the real life

you could see a sail in the distance and knew nothing about it. sometimes you could not even make out the ship type until it was too late

This is highly correct. Sail plan of a frigate or a 3rd rate for example are pretty much the same in the horizon. Enough mishaps happened due to these identification errors, most of the time captains thinking it is a indiaman and showed up to be a 74 gun or a heavy frigate.

2 hours ago, maturin said:

Fantastic!

Please allow us to arm trader vessels now, except that each pair of guns shrinks the hold space by the corresponding percentage.

Every merchantmen without exception should carry at least a carronade or two.

This.

1 hour ago, Liquicity said:

In 1700 "A bronze 24-pounder cost £156, compared with £75 for the iron piece, but the initial saving was offset when the gun wore out. The iron gun was then good for nothing except scrap at a farthing per pound, while the bronze cannon could be recast "as often as you please."

156 sterling pounds of 1700 equals 30 thousand dollars in 2017 equivalent

A Santíssima has more guns than many land armies ( mostly 6 pdr and 12 pdr ). Artillery was by far the most expensive arm.

I just logged into the test server and redeemed all items.  My ship knowledge unlocks where not ported over.  How can I get these?  Thank you

2 hours ago, admin said:

Hello Captains

•  

I lost all my craft xp, all my money (except for the 1 million starter fund, and all my ship knowledge unlocks after the wipe.  If this is to happen in the future, it is not my intention of wasting time rebuilding everything here each time.  Can we please get some clarifications on this and how we can get our money and ship unlocks.  Also the measly 1 million does not pay for outpost and building replacement nor resources that were wiped.  How are we to test stuff if we have to rebuild each time...

2 hours ago, admin said:

• Shipyard is back and is required for ship crafting

With the removal of TP's, people will need more than one shipyard if they wish to operate in different areas, meaning less production buildings. Any plans to add more building slots so you can still produce a decent amount of ressources for the player made econ?

Edited by Serk
  • Like 1