Game-Labs Forum

Post-Wipe will the game be worth playing?

Playing a " true " pirate after launch will depend on teleports and battlescreen exist as well as AI fleet.

Ive heard teleports are being removed which wouldbe a great move but a solo pirate in a small ship still runs the problem of almost every ship you attack having its own AI navy with it along with a dozen pulled in the circle.

Admittedly i quit a few months ago because playing a real pirate style became impossible so i do know what new changes are comming.

Circle is small now. AI is more sparse with greater focus on trade and less on patrols although they do exist. Do testbed.

A smart trader though will plan the cruise as in old time. And try to take advantage of this one fleet at least part of the way.

But the tag circle is now quite small.

13 minutes ago, Hodo said:

The circle is much smaller and AI is pretty uncommon, large fleets are very rare.

That is a very good thing to hear. Simeone mentioned that teleports were being removed too but didnt say if it was all teleports or if a cooldown was added back. 

It is almost tempting to come back after launch to see but i read that in order to keep our ranks and crafting xp we needed to log on once and sink a ship before the 20th and i dont have the game loaded now and i definitely dont feel like going through it all again ha ha ha.

On 4/16/2017 at 5:03 PM, xAzDKr said:

Good afternoon,

I write you all as a former player of NA back when Server population was >2k during primetime. I had often toyed with the idea of going pirate but at the time it was more of joining a faction that didn't give a hello kitty but had the logistical capacity of a nation. 

Now it appears that many changes have been made to port battles, pirate mechanics, ganking, etc. and I am curious to know if this game will be worth playing once the nerf takes place. I have recently gotten into the show "black sails" which motivates me to get a trusty Trinc or Pirate Frigate and plunder the open ocean and trading routes.

What do you all think?

Note, I don't wanna get involved in the drama, I just wanna know if I should come back. 

Yes. The game will be worth playing.

I think I'll give "true" piracy a shot and try to hunt traders and small warships. I can comfortably crew a Trinc or Indi and two smaller 5th rates as fleet right now which has been serving me well

As long as I get a solid main ship, I can capture frigiates as prizes and use them as fleet ships or for profit

3 hours ago, Hodo said:

It took me 15min to log into all three servers take cutter out and get sunk by a massive fleet in a fleet mission.

Most "true" pirates didnt sail anything bigger than a 6th rate.  PeganPete is one of the FEW true pirates in Naval Action.

Just to keep up with the game meta, I'll probably find myself in a 5th rate so I don't get sunk constantly

On 4/18/2017 at 11:31 AM, Mrdoomed said:

Playing a " true " pirate after launch will depend on teleports and battlescreen exist as well as AI fleet.

Ive heard teleports are being removed which wouldbe a great move but a solo pirate in a small ship still runs the problem of almost every ship you attack having its own AI navy with it along with a dozen pulled in the circle.

Admittedly i quit a few months ago because playing a real pirate style became impossible so i do know what new changes are comming.

For folks to have an AI fleet it cost them 1, 4, 10 points.  That is a big chunk of there perks to use.  Not to mention you need to leave one of those slots empty if you plan to capture any ships. I have one slot on my chars for capture ships and when I'm doing trade runs i can run two trader at the same time.   I think we are going to see way less AI fleets on players cause of how much they cost point wise than we use to other than folks doing big trade runs, but than that just means big juicy targets for us.

As for the OP I would say come back and try it, if anything you tried it and can come back later.  When I was first playing the game I only showed up every patch to try things out and than left until the next patch.  Did that pretty much the first 6 months after EA released.  I'll be out there hunting as a pirate after the patch goes live, so the more the better.  We got to keep those pesky Nats in line after all.  Other wise they will be sailing freely all over the place with there fat looted traders and such.  Can't let that be happing.

3 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

For folks to have an AI fleet it cost them 1, 4, 10 points.  That is a big chunk of there perks to use.  Not to mention you need to leave one of those slots empty if you plan to capture any ships. I have one slot on my chars for capture ships and when I'm doing trade runs i can run two trader at the same time.   I think we are going to see way less AI fleets on players cause of how much they cost point wise than we use to other than folks doing big trade runs, but than that just means big juicy targets for us.

As for the OP I would say come back and try it, if anything you tried it and can come back later.  When I was first playing the game I only showed up every patch to try things out and than left until the next patch.  Did that pretty much the first 6 months after EA released.  I'll be out there hunting as a pirate after the patch goes live, so the more the better.  We got to keep those pesky Nats in line after all.  Other wise they will be sailing freely all over the place with there fat looted traders and such.  Can't let that be happing.

Can you send documentation about the points system? I'm not familiar with it. 

19 minutes ago, xAzDKr said:

Can you send documentation about the points system? I'm not familiar with it. 

It's to much to type up, but now fleet ships take perk points.  IF you where around when they started officer perks?  That is what perk points are.  You have 10 at max level and if you want 3 fleet ships it's going to cost you 10 points, but you won't be able to take any of the other combat perks.

@OP should you come back ?

Well sure if you want to get involved with testing a game in Alpha then come back and test.. the new features need testing so it really is worth jumping on and helping out.

If you want to play a finished game with no bugs and so on then best to stay away until the game is released.

i've had more fun playing on testbed the last couple weeks than playing on the live servers the past couple months. I would say yes, you should return, but you'll need to readjust your vision as to what you expect out of NA.; you will no longer be able to do everything yourself, you will no longer be able to have everything you want.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I really think that going alone in the NA world and truly succeed will not be possible.

Log in at the testbed server and try to craft something and earn the enough money to unlock things and build. You will notice how hard has became.

It's not suppose to be easy. I'm  doing the test with three chars and I look at it as if I'm a small clan not one player with alts.  I was able to get my first ship built (Surprise and than Indefatigable) in a week (that is with level 50 crafting).  It took me months to do that back when I had one char and it should do the same for a new player.  I was able to make small ships but not frigates and my crafting grew faster than I ranked up when I was finally able to craft them.    I'm going to fight a good small clan of 5-10 players will be able to keep them self in ships if they share there resources.  The problem is most folk are greedy and refuse to help others and those guys might as well be solo playing.  Than they are going to have a harder time, but they will if they play smart and not rush off and get killed be able in time craft things and make money.

One of those three chars I been playing only in shallows and I haven't gotten any help from the other two, but I been producing Copper for them.  Just as a solo player might to make money.  The only thing I done is made a surprise for him.   That would been proper payment for some one that gives me a good bit of copper in trade.   Staying in the shallows he's made a decent profit.  Lower level chars do seem a bit balanced.  It's when you get into mid level it starts to get a bit costly if you only want to run a ship at that level, but this was before crew was free too.  That was most of what was burning through my profits of trading and crafting was the crew replacement at mid level.

If they keep no teleport + 1 dura ship thing. I will not recommend this game to anyone. If they do make reasonable changes then still with a lot of work I will reconsider. This includes my 2 positive reviews that are still positive.  

Edited by Ned Low

On 4.5.2017 at 0:15 AM, Sir Texas Sir said:

I was able to get my first ship built (Surprise and than Indefatigable) in a week

Ye try this without alts in one week impossible.

I bought some ships in WoWs so i don't care about this game anymore i won't start after wipe only stupid changes no thx lol.

Have fun with dev rigged poll about Dura.

Edited by Shrez
  • Like 1

To truly see how this game does we will have to wait and see. Thus ends my pragmatic side. I am sincerely encouraged by allot of very interesting changes. I think it will take time but player number will increase gradually over time after the full release. If controversy is the motor that drives change I think the new resulting product will be the best sail era game around. 

10 hours ago, Shrez said:

Ye try this without alts in one week impossible.

I bought some ships in WoWs so i don't care about this game anymore i won't start after wipe only stupid changes no thx lol.

Have fun with dev rigged poll about Dura.

See you in a week or so...

• Like 2

On 16/4/2017 at 11:03 PM, xAzDKr said:

Good afternoon,

I write you all as a former player of NA back when Server population was >2k during primetime. I had often toyed with the idea of going pirate but at the time it was more of joining a faction that didn't give a hello kitty but had the logistical capacity of a nation. 

Now it appears that many changes have been made to port battles, pirate mechanics, ganking, etc. and I am curious to know if this game will be worth playing once the nerf takes place. I have recently gotten into the show "black sails" which motivates me to get a trusty Trinc or Pirate Frigate and plunder the open ocean and trading routes.

What do you all think?

Note, I don't wanna get involved in the drama, I just wanna know if I should come back. 

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by Lord Vicious