Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 9.95 - Social perk and other important changes

admin

It's funny to see that something useful like social perk was disabled while something completely broken like the coward perk allowing those same guys picking easy targets to escape in a blink if chased is not removed already ... 

Like i said earlier attackers get all advantages, they pick fights they want vs targets they are sure to win against, meanwhile those same attackers can do a def tag, use coward perk and escape a battle in a blink without even being in guns range most of the times and avoid a fight when they want then hide in end result screen, defenders get a middle finger ... 

@Enraged Ewok: arriving 20 minutes after that battle started had no effect at all, players will be so far away that you will be useless, it was good if you made it into the first minutes , entering even 10 minutes later you had been a spectator all the time, unless it was a turning fight which is rarely what happens when few guys jump on a lone player ...

Social perk wasn't disabled, just only delayed for the future update. Again, i can't understand the logic of yours guys. I tried, really. 

The Social perk in how it worked was the most stupid element of the game process since the OW started. Again, a new BR system will allow to enter the battle for the side with the lowest BR to prevent ganking near  capitals. And if i'm not mistaken, the new social perk will keep the battle open for about 10 minutes but it won't change the BR system - so you couldn't jump with 25 ships again 5-8 enemies.....and you can jump as long as you want but only if the BR is equal. What's the problem, seriously?

Still want to know what that silly pray button does.

I have tried to use it at opportune moments. Last time I found a bottle (which is nowadays a rare occurrence) while still in OW I push the pray button just before clicking the use button. The wreck appeared in front of the port I came from (within 2 minutes sail of it).

I'll try again the same way if I find another and see if there is a pattern.

Sooooooooooo...errrrr....anyone want to buy 10,000 tea.....top quality stuff.....

(joke btw...I am not selling it)

other capitals are always buying the national goods if they are at the right price. (usually good profit is guaranteed)

Am I crazy to believe a 1st or 2nd rate is as fast as a fifth rate in a battle? If they go the same speed why sail anything else..

Sustained speed of ship of the line could be a lot higher than speed of frigates. Especially in certain weather conditions with bigger waves and stronger winds. 

As a general rule of thumb.  light ships faster in light winds. heavy ships faster in heavy winds and waves. (comparatively faster)

• Like 1

Am I crazy to believe a 1st or 2nd rate is as fast as a fifth rate in a battle? If they go the same speed why sail anything else..

Sustained speed of ship of the line could be a lot higher than speed of frigates. Especially in certain weather conditions with bigger waves and stronger winds. 

As a general rule of thumb.  light ships faster in light winds. heavy ships faster in heavy winds and waves. (comparatively faster)

This may not work as intended, I have also noticed pretty fast speeds for 1st and 2nd rates.  Also those seem to have very good maneuverability, and sail damage does not really seem to affect those.  Well, at least not as well as it seems to affect the 5th rates.

Wind indicator would be nice.

BR system will allow to enter the battle for the side with the lowest BR... What's the problem, seriously?

I really would like to test this one.  Can we remove the duel week and test this instead?

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

I have tried to use it at opportune moments. Last time I found a bottle (which is nowadays a rare occurrence) while still in OW I push the pray button just before clicking the use button. The wreck appeared in front of the port I came from (within 2 minutes sail of it).

I'll try again the same way if I find another and see if there is a pattern.

I do the same and I"m pretty sure the rain has lighten up a few times when I had pushed it, but hay it's prob just the game playing tricks on me.

As for those resources prob should of just left it, 1K of them is not that hard to get right now really if your smart and it's not like we need another billion first rates in game right now.  I'm hoping in the future the game goes back to more the Frigate level of play and light ships for shallow than every one wanting to only fight in SOL OW or in PB's.

good that you change it at list for now....

But

Question to admin/devs. When you thinking of changing the game ( sometimes good some times bad) are you only seeing a probem and get a solution and do that or are you thinking of if we do thise change what will happened to the game play if these things on nations. like positive / negative for the nations? how will the gameplay be on all nations? Why do I ask.. That is becose last patches you seems to see pvp only in the eye and go to try to fix the game for that even if the game have traiders and builders in it.

what I think you need to be starting to think off is these if you want pvp

-don't make all to sail for hours and not doing anything will only make that traders and builders and those are 30-50% of the server skipping pvp do to they need to sail for materials even longer then it is now.

-give out so you can have more outposts maybe even in enemy ports but then only traders and no buildings

-Start to think of new players. those don't have cash to be able to do you special events ( witch I think is wrong way).

-when you put back special goods in 1 rates with is a good ide in the bottom. then make so all nations have one 1 rate so they have one they can make. like britts have victory for free, Spain have santisma France have le ocean. ...... what I mean free is they need to be like it is now. for the nations that are different then national ships they need to buy/breakdown/ or getting them in events. maybe with some restrictions to get the chance like some events. that is on every day. every hours. ( don't know what for now)

• Like 1

Not really cause it took me, my trader brig, and the smuggler flag to get about 5K Indan Tea and 2K Ibearan Meat smuggled out of ports this morning and other memebers of our clan did the same so we won't have any issue making the Vick or Santi.   There isn't exactly a shortage to prevent you from gettting these things.

Right now this resources are not a wanted commodity so ports have some reserves of it. However when ship building will require them they will become very scarce, hard to get or very expensive.  

Right now this resources are not a wanted commodity so ports have some reserves of it. However when ship building will require them they will become very scarce, hard to get or very expensive.

So people will actually have to earn what they want? What a concept.

I know gaming elites think they are entitled to the best of everything but to alot of people who play this game it means something to earn thier rewards.

Like i said earlier attackers get all advantages, they pick fights they want vs targets they are sure to win against, meanwhile those same attackers can do a def tag, use coward perk and escape a battle in a blink without even being in guns range most of the times and avoid a fight when they want then hide in end result screen, defenders get a middle finger ... 

Let me explain my point of view:

Like i said earlier attackers defenders get all advantages, they pick fights they want vs targets they are sure to win against, meanwhile those same attackers defenders can do a def tag, use coward perk and escape a battle in a blink without even being in guns range most of the times and avoid a fight when they want then hide in end result screen, defenders attackers get a middle finger ...

See the relativity ?

I like the new regional resource based ship production and nation specific ships. It should add to the flavor of the conquests by nation and add some form of national pride to the ships.

So the way I'm reading this Britain, France, Spain, Denmark and Sweden will conquest through superior naval capabilities right after any reset and can do so all on their own. Making them the staple contestants.

The USA will not have their own first rates but will likely start any reset with all the live oak supplies. So they will conquest from and angle of superior trade conquest and political alliances. Which should be both balancing and more realistic. I would hope that the USS Constitution becomes a ship built with US National goods and you give it back its speed and its roll as a unique super frigate. Game needs more nationality 4th rates anyway.

Pirates seem to be becoming some sort of half nation band of brothers that I am guessing will enter the conquest game through some raiding angle

Meanwhile Outlaws will be the chaotic player killers and murderers running around while everyone else conquests.

Much guessing on my part at this stage but it is looking much much better. There is no need for each nation to be exactly the same and approach conquest from the exact same angle of first rate sea power. I like the idea of diversity in the nations.

Edited by Bach

Let me explain my point of view:

Like i said earlier attackers defenders get all advantages, they pick fights they want vs targets they are sure to win against, meanwhile those same attackers defenders can do a def tag, use coward perk and escape a battle in a blink without even being in guns range most of the times and avoid a fight when they want then hide in end result screen, defenders attackers get a middle finger ...

See the relativity ?

more experienced players have more chances yeah but they aren't the main targets of the attacking fleets... And they don't choose the fight, they often are not equiped or able to counter speedy boarding fitted fleets, those leave little to no chances to the players trying to get out of this, no mystery about it, we all know who are the main victims of this  ... 

• Like 2

3) Regional changes implemented for vessels as an experiment that will spread to other high ranked vessels

• Victory - requires british national good to construct - removed until regions are introduced
  • Santisima - requires spanish national goods to construct - removed until regions are introduced
  • Ocean - requires french national goods to construct
  • When introduced - Christian first rate will require Danish/Swedish national goods to construct
  • When introduced - Dutch first rate will require Dutch national resources
  • Second rates are under consideration

I can agree to this, but not until every nation has a first rate ship in-game.

otherwise, the British, Spanish and French would be in a gross advantage..

I can agree to this, but not until every nation has a first rate ship in-game.

otherwise, the British, Spanish and French would be in a gross advantage..

I'm not sure it would matter that much. Let's say they implemented it right now on pvp1. The Brits are allied with Dutch and USA so they all get Victory production. Spain gets Santissima. France is allied with Danes and Swedes so once the devs dole out L'Ocean bps they all get that. I'm not saying they should release it now. I'm just pointing out that it's not really the end of the world if they did.

I don't like the idea of restricting ships to certain nations for now at least, maybe if each nation had more of and its own line of unique ships. Also I'm not someone who plays USA but what do they get out of it, currently it looks like they need their own first rate too otherwise its just unfair on them. The whole idea seems a bit wildly unbalanced for now.

While I admire the dev team for trying to promote more diversity in ships I think the answer for now is to focus on making the ships feel much more different in combat in terms of play styles rather than soft national restrictions.

The Americans only had one 1st rate ever to sail, the Pennsylvania. She was big and fat. Hard to handle, a nightmare to sail. She was designed to be a blockade buster and not designed to be in the type of ship battles other 1st rates were designed for.

What may be needed is the North Carolina class where at lease 4 of that class were launched and fleeced out to visit the world. Although rated as a 3rd rate 74, she was much bigger and closer to the European 2nd rates in many ways.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it would matter that much. Let's say they implemented it right now on pvp1. The Brits are allied with Dutch and USA so they all get Victory production. Spain gets Santissima. France is allied with Danes and Swedes so once the devs dole out L'Ocean bps they all get that. I'm not saying they should release it now. I'm just pointing out that it's not really the end of the world if they did.

Cmon man... you have been playing this game long enough to understand that EVERY change is the end of the world.

Wow the one really good perk now gone OMG, Bring back Social Perk.

Would have to completely disagree with you on this one....I honestly cant recall a more despised game mechanic during all of my time testing. I mean what do the pro social perk people want? Is it a desire to have a "fair" fight? Very well, if that is the case then have the social perk keep a battle open until the BR are equal or close to equal at least. However, I wholeheartedly believe this is not what they want at all. They want the ability to call in reinforcements from nation chat and pour out of ports to get a completely unfair fight with zero risk. Is it that they want a safe haven to fish around their capitals? Very well, go ahead and extend the "safe" zone so people can afk fish to their hearts content. However, I don't think that is what they really are upset about either. Social Perk was an abomination that served as nothing more than a crutch for lazy players and those looking to hide in ports till they had a chance to engage an enemy with overwhelming odds....the same enemies they most likely would be too scared to ever fight in anything close to even odds. 

• Like 1

Only problem I see, is that the ocean and santi 1st rates although slightly slower and less manueverable than the victory class, will shred a fleet of equal number victory class 1st rates. Especially the ocean classes sloped armored sides, this significantly increases bouncing cannon ball fire from a victory (yes, we tested it).

The dev's I hope are looking to bring in another 1st Rate for the British. Due to the Victory being a old ship at the time of the santi and ocean classes being Introduced. Some suggestions

Caledonia Class. 120 guns 1808

Nelson Class. 120 guns 1814

Saint George Class 120 guns 1840

This is a game in development, played it long enough to know.... things will be corrected with time and feed back. As more ships are introduced and more variety between ships..all the nations and alliances eventually will see a leveled ship field in the near future. First step though is giving every nation a semi comparable 1st rate, 2nd rate, 3 rate...etc. not gonna comment on the resources- national builds till we have it in game for month or 2..so we can judge it. But I would say we need more ships in game

Edited by Sir Henry de Montfort
  • Like 1

I'm all right with HMS Caledonia being in game, as long as both she and victory are limited to 32 pounders and the Océan's manoeuvrability is enhanced (she was as agile as a frigate according to contemporary reports) and that she can carry 18 pounders on her upper deck, to represent later variants of the classe, such as the Austerlitz, and that Spain gets the Santa Anna class too.

Also, Dutch, Danes, Swedes and US need their SOL first before adding a 2nd British 1rst rate.

Edited by Serk
  • Like 1

I note that there was no mention of a USA 1st rate.

Actually the Americans did have a first rate that was authorised 1816 and launched 1837; the USS Pennsylvania.

(This also along with the three rated "74's": USS Independence/Washington/Franklin in service from 1814/15 open up possibilities for higher rate American ships to be added to Naval Action above the Connie, although in reality i think the Independence carried 90 guns.)

Although maybe a bit late in the game age of sail wise post Trafalgar/post War of 1812 etc, the USS Pennsylvania was impressive; 4 decks and 140 guns making her a match for the Santissima.

She was slow, hard to maneuver and over all poor sailor. Her primary design was to be a blockade buster in case the USA found itself in another war with Great Britain. She made on trip along the eastern seaboard to dock in the Norfolk Naval Yard, only to be burned to the water line by the Navy to keep it from being captured by the confederates. She was to expensive to have her remain in operational condition. She plainly took too many sailors to operate and the decision to get a good number of frigates out of Norfolk with what personnel that was available led to the decision to torch her.

In this game the Americans would have to settle for the 3rd rates they did have although the actual gun count makes them a good challenge for the European 2nd rates. This is where tactics will be the decider.

• Like 1