• Princesa Real
    • Dordrecht
    • Wasa
    • Wenden
    • Prinds Christian Frederik
    • Vrijheid
    • Admiraal de Ruyter
    • Christian VII

I simply voted to fill a gap as well as to pick a ship with a different national flavor. I went with the wasa because as a 60 gun ships she fits nicely between the heavy frigate and the sol. The Diane is a pretty ship but I wanted a ship that didn't sound so, uh, English. I would have loved to have voted for that unnamed Venetian corvette. It's lines are so unique, shallow draft and looks fast but I preferred to vote for a ship that belongs to a nation in the game.

• Like 2

Why Diana?

Essentially it is yet another Trincomalee...

The main problem is the fact we have almost no different 4th rates and superfrigates. There is a huge gap between Trincomalee and 3rd rate, and due to it's crew size Constitution does not solve this problem.

• Like 1

Why Diana?

The main problem is the fact we have almost no different 4th rates and superfrigates. There is a huge gap between Trincomalee and 3rd rate, and due to it's crew size Constitution does not solve this problem.

She's Spanish. That might be enough to get some folks to vote for her.

ErilaZ, on 13 Feb 2016 - 02:18 AM, said:snapback.png

Why Diana?

because Trincomalee is an 18 pounder Wet-Frigate and the other is an 34gun 12lb one. 2 complete diffrent things.

and again the vote doenst need to go for what the game needs but what the player wants gapes will be stuffed(not just filled) soon.

• Like 2

Not many votes for the Christianborg at the moment, but I would vote for it on the hope that it could be in the same class as the Cerberus.

At 195 crew, the Cerberus is the only ship in its rank (that's not a redeemable). The Christianborg looks like it might be around that 151-200 range for the same rank.

The Diana could maybe fit there too but gunwise it's with the Surprise and the Renommee.

We should have more than 1 ship at Cerberus rank.

• Like 1

Not many votes for the Christianborg at the moment, but I would vote for it on the hope that it could be in the same class as the Cerberus.

At 195 crew, the Cerberus is the only ship in its rank (that's not a redeemable). The Christianborg looks like it might be around that 151-200 range for the same rank.

The Diana could maybe fit there too but gunwise it's with the Surprise and the Renommee.

We should have more than 1 ship at Cerberus rank.

+1

because Trincomalee is an 18 pounder Wet-Frigate and the other is an 34gun 12lb one. 2 complete diffrent things.

I thought Diana was an 18-pounder frigate like the Trinc?

The Christianborg looks like it might be around that 151-200 range for the same rank.

Just checked her plans, crew size was 224.

At war times, most ships of the Spanish Royal Navy were rearmed with heavier guns. This proccedure was done in order to increase the lifetime of the ships. 

Not surprising. But there were a few very large, beautiful Spanish frigates that got caught carrying 6-pounders.

You've already got a 28 gun corvette in game.

HMS Cerberus is a British light frigate. USS Rattlesnake will be the first Corvette when implemented in the game someday.

In game, there are several schooners, several Brigs, several Frigates and so on. There might be a couple of Corvettes too, no ?

You might want to learn more about Corvettes :  http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/7682-french-corvettes-6th-rate-warships/

Corvettes in this poll : the Descubierta and the Venetian ship.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6819-descubierta-spanish-corvette-with-plans/

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/7306-player-ship-selection-1st-half-2016/page-7#entry140657

L'Unite was a corvette.

And Cerberus is a frigate, despite her smaller broadside. Surprise would have been a very credible frigate in the 1760s.

That's progress for you.

But a Corvette is a french word that describes a 3-masted 6-th Rate ship that carries about 20-24 guns, definitely not a 40+ gun ship.

Every time you describe a ship by counting up every single piece of ordinance (including chasers), God kills a baby Lynx.

Surprise fits the 20-24 gun description because she mounts 24 guns on the main battery. Even a smaller corvette with 20 guns on the main battery could feasibly carry 10 more on the upper works for a total of 30. But still a corvette, and definitely not a 32-gun ship, even if she had a pair of chasers.

As far as I'm concerned corvettes are flush-decked ships with a single battery.

l'Unite is better described as a light frigate.

under french service she was classified as a corvette, but under british service she was considered a frigate, and as far as i am concerned, i agree with the surprise being a frigate.

We could endlessly argue about terminology when speaking about a ship class (in this case Corvette) even if here most of us seem to agree.

However, the initial proposal that started this discussion about terminology and that seems to me much more important was this :

We may need more 3-masted 6-th Rate about-20-24 gun small ships in game, such as :

- the one that will be implemented someday : the USS Rattlesnake,

- the Venetian one and the Descubierta in this poll,

called "Corvette" in french ; sometimes "Sloop-of-war" or "Corvette" in English.

And no ship currently implemented in game meets these requirements ; neither HMS Cerberus nor HMS Surprise/L'Unité do.  :)

PS : Btw, from 1820's on, one could even find in the French Navy a type of big Corvette, a kind of mix of Corvette and Frigate : the 42-meter 32-gun Corvette with an additional flush spar-deck ("Corvette de 32 à batterie couverte").