Game-Labs Forum

Reinforcements update

1 minute ago, Pada said:

Missions are the worst thing ever. The boring nature of them are probably driving more players away than anything else. How do you suppose to make them better?

The 1st rate would get 3 buffed AI 6th rates. That's how I understand it.

Do you even play this game?

PvE keeps the players in this game. The 20 or 30 pvp players we have are just in this game on the cost of those pve players.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, admin said:

Captains

In one of the nearest patches green protected zones reinforcements will be changed. 

Instead of ships of the line local authorities will send veffels vessels that are appropriate to the attacker ship strength. 
For example: If 3 frigates rates attack a trader, 3 buffed reinforcement 5th rates will be sent as protection. 

Please adjust your trading routes or production accordingly, and spread this information to your nation's officers. 

Finally!

Just now, Nelsons Barrel said:

PvE keeps the players in this game. The 20 or 30 pvp players we have are just in this game on the cost of those pve players.

I play the game since 2014 and did the XP grind 3 times. All of them before missions were introduced and I can tell you that it was way more fun to actually go out and look for PVE than just sail to a location where you get put up against the same stuff every single time.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pada said:

Missions are the worst thing ever. The boring nature of them are probably driving more players away than anything else. How do you suppose to make them better?

I feel the same way and can't fathom how anyone would enjoy it beyond a couple of them. I assumed people would only do them for the loot, despite it probably being very tedious after a while...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pada said:

I play the game since 2014 and did the XP grind 3 times. All of them before missions were introduced and I can tell you that it was way more fun to actually go out and look for PVE than just sail to a location where you get put up against the same stuff every single time.

The xp grind is the smallest of all grinds. lol

2 minutes ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

The xp grind is the smallest of all grinds. lol

Good that you say that. Missions were introduced to make the grind less grindy and to reach max rank faster for testing purpose.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

Back when you could see everyone's names the sharks very rarely fought the sharks.  Let's take you for example.  Instead of joining a nation that badly needs PVP help and guidance you just up and joined the best PVP nation in the game.  You are proof that my argument is correct.  If you wanted MORE pvp you would of just went brit and you'll get all the PVP you can stake a stick at in 30mins or less.  But you wanted GOOD PvP, aka good people sinking noobs, so you went Prussia.  I don't begrudge you that decision, just simply reaffirming that these so called "elite pvpers" never seem to end up fighting each other.

All your talking about elitism is just wrong in my opinion, there are only people who want to go out and fight and people who dont want to do it. I think Ive never seen someone telling anyone "nope you cant sail with us you are too bad". Not in Pirates, not in Sweden and not in Prussia.

I switched because there were not enough people who were interested in OW PvP. Only a handful and if those are not on there was nothing to do. Prussia was the only option for both active RvR and small group OW PvP. Also I made that decision weeks before rubli switched, I only knew 2 of my former clanmates were considering switching.

Biggest problem is still people are too scared of PvP. I think the main reason is because everything is predictable from the moment the fight starts. There is no fog where ships hide, you see every move the enemy makes. Noone can shoot you in the back and you can blame the "fking camper" or something. If you die its 90% your own fault.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201509/5-reasons-we-play-the-blame-game

Blame is an excellent defense mechanism. Whether you call it projection, denial, or displacement, blame helps you preserve your sense of self-esteem by avoiding awareness of your own flaws or failings.

We’re not very good at figuring out the causes of other people's behavior, or even our own. The attributions we make, whether to luck or ability, can be distorted by our tendency to make illogical judgments. And we're just as bad at making judgments involving the blameworthiness of actions in terms of intent vs. outcome.

It’s easier to blame someone else than to accept responsibility.There’s less effort involved in recognizing your contributions to a bad situation than in accepting the fact that you're actually at fault, and changing so you don't do it again.

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 3

Instead of making this something a player has to summon, make them automatically spawn, that way you assist the new players without a clue.

Experienced players will already be clicking the button anyways, the button does nothing to help new players who likely aren't aware it even exists and it is NOT the job of the player base to inform them before they lose their ship and slam the door on their way out...

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

All your talking about elitism is just wrong in my opinion, there are only people who want to go out and fight and people who dont want to do it. I think Ive never seen someone telling anyone "nope you cant sail with us you are too bad". Not in Pirates, not in Sweden and not in Prussia.

I switched because there were not enough people who were interested in OW PvP. Only a handful and if those are not on there was nothing to do. Prussia was the only option for both active RvR and small group OW PvP. Also I made that decision weeks before rubli switched, I only knew 2 of my former clanmates were considering switching.

Biggest problem is still people are too scared of PvP. I think the main reason is because everything is predictable from the moment the fight starts. There is no fog where ships hide, you see every move the enemy makes. Noone can shoot you in the back and you can blame the "fking camper" or something. If you die its 90% your own fault.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201509/5-reasons-we-play-the-blame-game

And you do realise you are doing the same thing? You blame people of being scared of PVP. 

And at the same time skillbooks, upgrade and shipbuilds have a HUGE impact on pvp?

Sure, a skilled player can negate that. But the buy-in is pretty steep for a player who wants to start pvp.

We are not talking about "I died, well, I will respawn soon" gameplay. Getting a PVP ready ship is an investment of time. Grind mission for cash, buy ship, put on upgrade, go pvp. Sink. grind mission for cash, buy ship, less good upgrades because you lost them, sink. And that circle can spiral to a point where you stop playing if you force it. OW PVP is NOt the end all of this game. It is having fun. And forcing people to have your fun when that isn't their fun causes people to stop playing.

Keep reinforcementzones as they were. If pvp'ers want to gank outside capitals (or capital like cities), there is russia, poland and prussia.

Edited by Cornelius Trash
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sovereign said:

Yeah, assuming the server is named "PvP" as abbreviation for "Player versus Player", I would think that I'd have every right to complain if this was the case. PvE players on the other hand do not have any right to complain about being exposed to PvP, if they choose to play on the PvP despite the availability of a PvE server.

I still fail to see why the PvP server should accomodate PvE players to the point of diminishing content and freedom of the playstyle that the server is clearly dedicated to. If someone plays on the PvP server, logs in and only has time for PvE then it is his/her responsibility to consider the possibility of being attacked by other players despite not having the time to deal with the situation. They can still give up the ship ( it is not the end of the world to lose a pixel ship ) and leave, nothing forces them to stay and fight to the end. 

I just went to log into the game and at no stage does it say it is a PvP only server, the PvE server says PvE only. The server most people play on is called Caribbean with no indication that it is PvP only. The server caters to PvP and PvE and there is an emphasis on PvP because 95% of the OW is available for PvP. But people like you tend to think the only way to get PvP is by attacking the people in the 5% of the server that at the time are not looking for PvP.

So please get your facts straight.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Archaos said:

I just went to log into the game and at no stage does it say it is a PvP only server, the PvE server says PvE only. The server most people play on is called Caribbean with no indication that it is PvP only. The server caters to PvP and PvE and there is an emphasis on PvP because 95% of the OW is available for PvP. But people like you tend to think the only way to get PvP is by attacking the people in the 5% of the server that at the time are not looking for PvP.

So please get your facts straight.

Amen!

586ea18b158ec_Likestallone.jpg.5896f72136662418b8aa6db7131d75ac.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

I just went to log into the game and at no stage does it say it is a PvP only server, the PvE server says PvE only. The server most people play on is called Caribbean with no indication that it is PvP only. The server caters to PvP and PvE and there is an emphasis on PvP because 95% of the OW is available for PvP. 

I already addressed this, when SirTexas brought it up before you and it really does not matter what it is called. The server is PvP first and PvE second, because we have a PvE server already. If we had a PvP, PvE and PvP/PvE server then and only then would PvE players on the PvE/PvP server have the right to complain about being exposed to PvP in the zones. Otherwise the answer is the same. People complaining about PvP are better served on the PvE server. 

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

But people like you tend to think the only way to get PvP is by attacking the people in the 5% of the server that at the time are not looking for PvP.

If the majority of players sit in the 5% of map, then yes it is the only way to get PvP other than patrol zones and RvR. The OW is dead and zones are one of the reasons for it. I think the same as some others that commented here... most of people that are "at the time not looking for PvP" are never looking for PvP. Once you reached advanced skill in PvP, you'll find it hard to be entertained by the predictable AI. I am not believing that PvP players find it worth logging into the game only to do some mission vs the bots. I am agreeing with Palatinose completely - that is simply BS.

I am glad the devs are able to use common sense and realize that seperating players in their safe kindergarten bubble without any incentive or downsides to it that would encourage them to leave is just bad. Hopefully this update will change the game for the better and make carebears think about their server choice.

Edited by Sovereign

2 hours ago, Cornelius Trash said:

We are not talking about "I died, well, I will respawn soon" gameplay. Getting a PVP ready ship is an investment of time. Grind mission for cash, buy ship, put on upgrade, go pvp. Sink. grind mission for cash, buy ship, less good upgrades because you lost them, sink. And that circle can spiral to a point where you stop playing if you force it. OW PVP is NOt the end all of this game. It is having fun. And forcing people to have your fun when that isn't their fun causes people to stop playing.

Firstly, if you are unwilling to fight without some perfect build ship, that's your problem, not the rest of the server's. Plenty of people have pointed this out already, and when I used to craft ships for sale in the old days of crafting notes I had dedicated customers who exclusively ordered purple ships rather than gold, because an extra slot meant less to them than having a moderately good ship they can sink for cheap.

second you say "forcing people to have your fun when it isn't their fun causes people to stop playing." Obviously we don't need reinforcements, but rather a "do you consent to this battle Yes/No" screen every time someone tags.

IMG_0147.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

Pada is one of these captains that likes to come on the forums occasionally and drop a nugget of wisdom about how the game should be harder, more life like, less quality of life features....blah blah...basically anything that resembles catering to the casual type of player.  He was one of the big proponents of the hardcore grinding/ship knowledge and no map coordinates changes.  Basically ideas that made a shit load of people quit. 

The thing is though....he doesn't actually play the game with any consistency.  He'll pop on for a couple weeks here and there, but he's not down there "in the trenches" so to speak like the rest of us who try to make this game works.  He pisses off, throws in his 2cents on the forums and trys to alter a game he really doesn't play much of.  

A lot of captains are like this, including quite a few here on this thread.  Arm chair captains who are trying to reimagine their glory days of Naval Action back when it was a "better game".  And he's definitely entitled to his opinion.  I just wish admin would listen to people who actually play this game and in particular play the more casual aspect of it. 

4 hours ago, Pada said:

By making them more interesting?  Increase loot.  Increase variety.  Whatever.  Entire MMOs are based on missions and quest lines, MMOs that have millions of people.  We can't even keep 1000 people interested in this game at one time.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 3

Thid update will not help,but probably make things worse.

Look at KPR situation gankers join AI vs player battles every single day now they will not even bother and will attack you directly.snd making it harder for people trying to help them.KPR has alot of beginners so if they are attacked regualy they may quit and ask for refound.

25 minutes ago, PYR said:

What people like you dont understand and apparently Devs neither, is that people play to have some fun. Trading and crafting is fun for some people. Running with no chance to get out in slow poorly armed, not manouvring ships against fully pvp flipped players is not fun. So loosing pixel that way is not fun. Can you understand the concept? i am afraid not; If the game turn out as i think it will, i change my eval and quite. No fun playing that game

Have you never played an MMO before?!  Can you understand that concept?  In order for someone to “win”, someone else has to “lose”....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

I am absolutely happy with hidden names. Whoever I attack is always a surprise to me.

yes ... it is very likely that Redii will buy an alt in another nation in order to disguise himself in a Tbrig just to make you a surprise.

Get back to reality man ... most of the ones clapping at the nerf of safe zones will attack just national traders that go in and out capital cities

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Not to mention freeport pvp is utterly meaningless.

while farming carebears and traders outside capital cities is a very meningful  PVP ... /facepalm

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jorge said:

PvP server... 

that will end half-deserted due to carebears freezing, and then a lot of the "PVP elite" will freeze  like after the summer patch moaning that "there is not enough PVP"

9 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Looking at the discussions going on, and in a matter of jest a "disclaimer" announcement is needed everytime a captain presses SAIL in the PvP server warning of the dangers inherent and natural to a environment where, beyond the horizon there might be the entire invincible armada. Player presses "I Understand" button and there we go. Problems solved.

c'mon, give up with this RP things ... it's just a matter of number of players.

A MMO with 300 players is a so huge world simply will not work. And that is the risk we face with this new twist in game mechanics

The game needs some things to make it attractive for Casual Players. If it is a safe zone or Content with Content  i mean more variability how the missions are. 

Im not a fan of the safezones but many do like them. So it is for casual players who got a few hours a day. But i thinl they go a bit to far away out from the coast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Have you never played an MMO before?!  Can you understand that concept?  In order for someone to “win”, someone else has to “lose”....

I have played a lot of MMO and I'll tell you that the ones that have success are the ones that are able to create a win/win situation (which is that each kind of play style has its room, its fun and its reward) ... but maybe that's too complicated for some players mindset.