Game-Labs Forum

Reinforcements update

18 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

These changes will be a compromise, because so far what we had was a lot of safe fish and starving sharks or a lot of sharks hunting down the fish. We can't go one extreme or another to satisfy everyone. We need to find a gold spot in the middle.

or maybe the sharks just need to go after the sharks.  Very rarely does that happen.  A typical evening has the sharks teaming up to fight the fish outside KPR or Charleston

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, PYR said:

So if you dont need them, why are you crying that they play in safe zones? should not matter. the map is big enough! And you talk about vastly superior numbers deffending their area.... when pvpers spent atimes attaking slow and defenseless traders with fully fitted boat..... and you are speaking as a victime yourself

Do you feel like I was talking about you? Because you are giving me this impression. The problem with players like you is, that they fail to realize how they can not improve by only taking fights with x2 or x3 BR advantage and hiding in the protection zone. You learn much more from even fights and the most from being outnumbered, although the latter requires advanced skill. You can hide in the zone all you want and have your PvE adventures but don't forget there is a extra server that would grant you the whole map for it. Also once you reach higher skill levels and deeper understanding of the game mechanics, you will come to realize that gear and ships do matter but not nearly as much as the skill of the captain commanding it.

Edited by Sovereign

5 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

@Archaos When I played 2-3 years ago, I loved Jamaica and KPR for the PvP as British player. I didn't have to spend 3h sailing around empty waters, I could just undock from KPR, check nation chat and go fight. Protect players, patrol Jamaica, that was the best rookie PvP experience I had when I started playing the game. 

This died out with current reinforcements. 

When I started it was the same, but the point you forget is that it all changed long before the introduction of safe zones. In the days you mention you still had the option to call reinforcements to even up the fight as long as you were within a certain range of one of your nations ports anywhere on the map. Even after the call reinforcements was removed there was still a lot of battles for Jamaica Patrol, but eventually the raiders started using the speed meta where they could be selective in which battles they engaged in and the Jamaica Patrol became an endless chase until they could single out a chaser that had strayed too far ahead of the pack or they waited till the patrol started to disperse as they got bored of chasing and then they would turn and attack the remnants.

I too played in those days and for a time was quite active patrolling home waters, but because of the way players developed strategies (not the game rules changes) it became boring and not worthwhile as sometimes you could spend an entire evening just chasing without getting involved in a single battle. 

4 hours ago, admin said:

Captains

In one of the nearest patches green protected zones reinforcements will be changed. 

Instead of ships of the line local authorities will send veffels vessels that are appropriate to the attacker ship strength. 
For example: If 3 frigates rates attack a trader, 3 buffed reinforcement 5th rates will be sent as protection. 

Please adjust your trading routes or production accordingly, and spread this information to your nation's officers. 

Good idea

it was stupid that a victory was chasing a endymion 

good thinking

and i believe a good update, i hope the AI is darn good also

a little lynx added to  the reinforcement ,   is welcome  to  :)

10 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Why should such players be forced to change servers and level up on both servers depending of whether they are in the mood for PvE or PvP.

The better question to ask would be: Why should they be completely safe on the PvP server, while doing so? Who are they to demand this, despite being provided a extra server for it?

Nobody forces them to switch servers for PvE but if they want to PvE on the PvP server, they should deal with the chance of being attacked by other players. Hence the term PVP server.

1 hour ago, Sovereign said:

You are already complaining and whining without even having had a chance to test it. I am speechless. I am glad the devs try something like this and will be happy to test it.

Read what admin stated in this thread about this being the FINAL and BEST version of the reinforcement and then - please - have the decency to stay silent.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

The better question to ask would be: Why should they be completely safe on the PvP server, while doing so? Who are they to demand this, despite being provided a extra server for it?

Nobody forces them to switch servers for PvE but if they want to PvE on the PvP server, they should deal with the chance of being attacked by other players. Hence the term PVP server.

The problem is that the people who come on here moaning about lack of PvP only seem to want to attack these sort of players rather than looking for more challenging players with the same experience and gear as they have. As they keep saying they are looking for PREY. They are not looking for good PvP they are looking for easy targets, inexperienced players and newbs and once they farm these players to extinction they will find some other reason to moan as to why they cannot find PvP.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

See this is a prime example of one of the problems on this game.  There is no PURE PVP SERVER.    We have two servers right now.  We have the PvE server and we have the Caribbean which is a PvP/PvE server.   You have to do PvE content along with PvP to play this game on this server so stop thinking of it as an ONLY PVP SERVER.  It is not a PVP ONLY SERVER.  If you wanted that than well there was NA:L but we all know where that is now and even that had AI PvE fights.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, victor said:

Read what admin stated in this thread about this being the FINAL and BEST version of the reinforcement and then - please - have the decency to stay silent.

I did read all his comments and don't see the problem. Even if this is the last change to reinforcement zones, you can not objectively evaluate it, because you have not even tested it. Also your comment, that I was referring to, was the second post before he even commented anything else, so it doesn't even matter what he said later.

1 hour ago, admin said:

exactly
it literally took 20 mins of programmers time.
Its done and is law now. We just wanted to let you all know in advance.

Time will tell if it works, I think it might.

I think however you should remove an ability to attack a ship in a protection zone altogether though. They can attack you if they want. It's simplier to understand, and doesn't create a room for future exploits.

I like more options personally, as it might generate more content for me, however for new players simpler is better.

• Like 1

@Sovereign They should kick the carebears out of the pvp server. Let's shutdown all AI fleets, combat, fleet mission as they are PVE and remove hostility missions. 

So 50-100 PVP players can enjoy the PVP server until the time, it will be shutdown.

Time to time I think that DEVS should not care about this forum. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Archaos said:

The problem is that the people who come on here moaning about lack of PvP only seem to want to attack these sort of players rather than looking for more challenging players with the same experience and gear as they have. As they keep saying they are looking for PREY. They are not looking for good PvP they are looking for easy targets, inexperienced players and newbs and once they farm these players to extinction they will find some other reason to moan as to why they cannot find PvP.

I'll regocnize your completely subjective assumption about the motives of people trying to bring this issue to the developers' attention. Your logic is flawed regarding the fact that "PREY, inexperienced players and newbs" can only stop being "easy targets" by either choosing to play only PvE ( and on the dedicated server ) or actively participate in PvP to improve. 

What you don't seem to understand is, that every pro player used to be a "easy target" and inexperienced themselves. They changed that. Blaming game mechanics and the evil PvP ganker players for ones own disability to improve and be able to face them on more even terms is nothing but amusing and weak excuses to me. Any new player can join a clan and sail with them to get PvP fights without getting bashed constantly. 

There are more bad players than elite players, so how come the bad players don't find each other more often? Because they are scared to lose and are thus hardly ever improving their skill significantly by avoiding fights / practice.

2 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

I'll regocnize your completely subjective assumption about the motives of people trying to bring this issue to the developers' attention. Your logic is flawed regarding the fact that "PREY, inexperienced players and newbs" can only stop being "easy targets" by either choosing to play only PvE ( and on the dedicated server ) or actively participate in PvP to improve. 

What you don't seem to understand is, that every pro player used to be a "easy target" and inexperienced themselves. They changed that. Blaming game mechanics and the evil PvP ganker players for ones own disability to improve and be able to face them on more even terms is nothing but amusing and weak excuses to me. Any new player can join a clan and sail with them to get PvP fights without getting bashed constantly. 

There are more bad players than elite players, so how come the bad players don't find each other more often? Because they are scared to lose and are thus hardly ever improving their skill significantly by avoiding fights / practice.

And how many thousands have left compared to remaining one hundred? This is not Hunger Games or Survival of the Fittest. This is so called sand box MMO, as I have seen they need thousands of players to keep running. 

2 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

In the end it comes down to a simple fact, if there are so many players looking for pure PvP then why are they struggling to find it? Why do they need players that are not interested in PvP to be their prey? 

Just imagine if you got your wish and all such players moved to the PvE server, would it increase the amount of PvP you would get? No it would not you would have the same amount of players looking for PvP as you do now, its just that the server population would be lower. So maybe just pretend that all those players PvE'ing in the safe zones do not exist and you will still have as many opponents as you would if they were on the PvE server.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, PYR said:

Then trading and crafting shoyuld be removed from the pvp server

I would like that but I am probably in the minority regarding this.

26 minutes ago, PYR said:

sinking that they will learn anyway!! until they log out for good. That will be good for the game

You can only learn / improve your skill by fighting. You will obviously lose more fights / ships when starting and facing more experienced players but in return learn from your defeats. You can not become a better player without losing ships and many that is. If someone can not accept this and put in the time to get better, then the PvP server is not for them in my opinion. The more experienced players a lesser skilled player might face put in time and effort to improve and reach this skill level and if someone can not recognize and respect this, that is their problem and not the fault of the game.

14 minutes ago, Archaos said:

In the end it comes down to a simple fact, if there are so many players looking for pure PvP then why are they struggling to find it? Why do they need players that are not interested in PvP to be their prey? 

Just imagine if you got your wish and all such players moved to the PvE server, would it increase the amount of PvP you would get? No it would not you would have the same amount of players looking for PvP as you do now, its just that the server population would be lower. So maybe just pretend that all those players PvE'ing in the safe zones do not exist and you will still have as many opponents as you would if they were on the PvE server.

You would actually have less, cause many of those so called PvEers, Carebears, Traders, Crafters and so forth don't mind some PvP once in a while too.  I enjoy both the crafting (well it's kinda boring now) and the fights.  Even against some of the dumb AI as they some times do something smarter than some of the players I fought and I like the RvR/PvP but I like it in both little ships and SOL's too.   While I'm a Vet of the game, I'm very much an average player skill wise.  I mess up all the time and not perfect but I have my moments too.   I don't like pure PvP games, if I wanted that I would be still playing WoT and other games I got burned out on.  Never could stand COD grind though so that is why I like this game.  Hell I even kinda do a bit of RP as I give each of my chars there own play style.  I'm not story telling Pagan Pete, but I do give them a bit of a story in my own head that fits their play style and fighting in game.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Archaos said:

True but that is not my issue. The question is why do those players not interested in PvP you mentioned not only play on the PvP server but also moan like a ravished wench when there are changes made to promote PvP on the PvP server.

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Yeah, but you know if you're the French sitting outside Charleston, and see the Prussians or the Brits saunter up, that they'd probably be a better fight than the average, rag-tag group of U.S. randoms popping out of a mission. Yet, what do we see? Combined hunting fleets scrabbling over the soft, easy pickings of the obviously inexperienced players.

But your point is well taken, we should be able to spyglass and determine who the hell it is we're fighting before wasting everyone's time to start a battle with them. That was the worst development decision before this one in the last few months.

I really thought they would give us an option to use our spy glass and gather some basic info on some one with it.  Like they said they had in the early day where you could click a button and do so if you want more detail.  

• Like 1

@Jon Snow lets go so attack them out of green zone, around Freetowns. So was it different before names being hidden? Announce in global, you are looking for a fight. I tell you a secret "La Tortue" most sharks are already there, good luck.

Btw I remember Sharks being so happy with names getting hidden. 

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 1

I wonder if merchant captains of the 18th century actually bitched this much after being taken by Privateers along their shores?!  

Damn that John Paul Jones.  Just a filthy ganker trying to ruin “the game” by attacking shipping right into Flamborough Head.     It’s amazing to me that such a large part of Naval warfare of this era is clearly foreign to many people playing this game.

Some of these responses are unbelievable.  

You lost a pixel ship with some pixel “stuff”.   

Get over it.  

• Like 8