Game-Labs Forum

monk33y

Portbattle Russians vs Swedes @ Port de Paix

Commanders:
Sweden: redii, sveno
Russia: Babay, Anolytic

Result: Sweden wins

51339122DBD14BC6188D83BAB378817F26F32209

A weird and short portbattle. Both teams had 3 mortar brigs. The port is in a very narrow passage, making maneuvering a very close thing. Wind was SEE slightly in favour of the defending Swedes. The Russians had to pass the Swedes downwind, the Swedes evaded almost all mortar shots by doing slalom in the front part of the lines.
The Russians were mostly downwind and were not able to hold circles as they were pressed against the downwind Island. The Swedes sent some Wasas to the Russian mortar Brigs and had not to worry about them, while the Swedish mortar Brigs were able to do large damage on the Russian big ships.
The Swedes held most of a time all three circles and victory was early, too early, we would have liked to fight a bit longer.

WP to the Russians, thank you for this Portbattle! o7

Swedish PoV done by @rediii

Russian PoV done by @BABAY

edit: added video

Edited by sveno
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, sveno said:

They probably didnt. But at the moment they are very effective for their BR especially vs heavy oceans so we use them. Devs have tonbalance them if they think they are too effective

I'd like the mortar brigs to stay as they are or become more effective... it's the only ship that offers something unique...

2 hours ago, DreamMaker said:

or add aircraft carriers to the game? they too will be unique

I sense alot of butthurt here... got sunk by a mortar brig lately? I know mortar brigs firing on ships isn't very realistic but let's not talk about realism when we have masts that are flying out of the water back onto the ship, sails that are completely shredded getting fixed to look 100% new and crew that gets raised from the dead by a few sips of rum... like really?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PIerrick de Badas said:

maybe mortar br should be change, not the ship itslef but the cost to bring it in battle to balance is openess and just have 1 or 2 per pb to focus on towers

Would having "mortar killers" light frigates in the line.up help as well ? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PIerrick de Badas said:

when you are facing the wind frigates, oceans or snow are unable to caught the mortar if there fleet cover them. They just have to follow the fleet and the wind push ennemy away from them

A Prince or Privateer can easily sail upwind and catch a M-Brig.   A Surprise can also do it if it is setup for close hauled sailing.

21 minutes ago, PIerrick de Badas said:

when you are facing the wind frigates, oceans or snow are unable to caught the mortar if there fleet cover them. They just have to follow the fleet and the wind push ennemy away from them

Okay. How long is a full revolution of the mortar ? I know their best angle is to starboard but never timed the turn. 

Watched the match on the live stream and for a long time had the feeling that the Russians would win. Not because they were better in close combat, but because their tactics were better. But am I right in my view of the match?

I saw a match between an experienced pb commander and some good pvp players. It seemed to me as if the Russians plan was winning by points, while the Danes would win by sinking all the opponents.

The Russians had good luck with their strategy and got all three circles. They pulled the Danes farther and farther away. It seemed that at 850 points the Danes discovered that they would lose by points. By that time, the Danes had already killed 3 Russians.
At 900 points there is battle in one circle and this is where I think the Russians made the mistake that cost them the pb. They would not be able to win by fighting man to man, but should win on points.
What Babay should have done was to let the Danes get the circle and chain their sails and not fight them. The Danes had to take the next circle by sailing in the headwinds and they could not have done if the two Russians had not been sunk, giving the Danes more time. Then it was just a matter of time.

But it's always a good day when the Danes win.

Here you go Peter, just to boost your legendary humility up :

Banished_1.jpg

Banished_2.jpg

When you do some screening for the Brits with your nice hunting conie, do not shout in Global that you sunk one VLTRA when you forget mentioning it was a single rattleH Vs conie.

Then, when you see the same VLTRA (recently killed) going after you with a (fir/fir) wasa, do not shout in Global that you do not want to waste your time cause there would be no PVP rewards...

You got tagged & you got sunk. (That time it was not as easy as against a rattleH! he!)

cheers

• Like 5